Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read the post from August 23, and it will break your heart. I feel so bad for her mother, and for her family in general. I know why LE and prosecutors have to remain tight-lipped until the trial starts, but it is completely awful for a family to have to wait so long to get answers...

I hope we catch a lucky break and someone stumbles across something that leads to her....

OK I;m gonna try to be brief but well... I work in Champaign nites. I live in a small town about 15 miles from Champ. I usually just go to work and then home, but today I had to run by a bank that's campus adjacent. Since there is a new memorial where YY was abducted , I decided to take that direction. I took Goodwin from Bradley all the way to Green street. This was this morning about 7:30. Sitting at University Ave on Goodwin ( is a block north of the abduction site) . I could see the memorial. Its so nice. Flowers and a big ol teddy bear. But the point I wanna make here is...wow,, The amount of people..buses..cars ..traffic on Goodwin was unreal! For those of you that don't live here and have seen the abduction video..you have no idea what a BUSY area this is. One block from campus. How that managed to pick out a time when a girl would be at a bus stop alone boggles the mind. DM92. you live in town right? I hadn't been to campus in a year or so. Is it always that hectic? The block that her memorial is on , as I drove by it, there was easily 200 people milling in every direction. So , I went back and watched the original abduction video. Wow, someone refresh my memory..was it a weekend or something?

OK I;m gonna try to be brief but well... I work in Champaign nites. I live in a small town about 15 miles from Champ. I usually just go to work and then home, but today I had to run by a bank that's campus adjacent. Since there is a new memorial where YY was abducted , I decided to take that direction. I took Goodwin from Bradley all the way to Green street. This was this morning about 7:30. Sitting at University Ave on Goodwin ( is a block north of the abduction site) . I could see the memorial. Its so nice. Flowers and a big ol teddy bear. But the point I wanna make here is...wow,, The amount of people..buses..cars ..traffic on Goodwin was unreal! For those of you that don't live here and have seen the abduction video..you have no idea what a BUSY area this is. One block from campus. How that managed to pick out a time when a girl would be at a bus stop alone boggles the mind. DM92. you live in town right? I hadn't been to campus in a year or so. Is it always that hectic? The block that her memorial is on , as I drove by it, there was easily 200 people milling in every direction. So , I went back and watched the original abduction video. Wow, someone refresh my memory..was it a weekend or something?

It was during the summer, and it might have been before the start of the first summer school session. There are a lot fewer people around in the summer months, and it's not that busy there typically. Much more student/staff traffic Monday-Friday during the regular Fall/Spring sessions. Time plays a role, too. Middle of the afternoon won't be nearly as busy in that area as ~8:00 AM or 4:30-5:00 PM

When I watched the video of him picking her up, there were a few cars here and there that went by, and a bicyclist or two. the amount of traffic seemed in line with what I would expect there during a summer afternoon....

-
It was during the summer, and it might have been before the start of the first summer school session. There are a lot fewer people around in the summer months, and it's not that busy there typically. Much more student/staff traffic Monday-Friday during the regular Fall/Spring sessions. Time plays a role, too. Middle of the afternoon won't be nearly as busy in that area as ~8:00 AM or 4:30-5:00 PM

When I watched the video of him picking her up, there were a few cars here and there that went by, and a bicyclist or two. the amount of traffic seemed in line with what I would expect there during a summer afternoon....

Also, it should be pointed out that Loomis lab, where BC worked when he was in the Physics PhD program, is just a few blocks south on Goodwin from where he nabbed YZ. So, he was probably very familiar with how relatively dead it would be in that vicinity at that time of the year and that time of day. I don't think he necessarily targeted that sole stop, but rather was probably cruising around areas of campus he knew would be fairly dead that time of the year/day -as that would give him the best chance of encountering a lone female at a bus stop or on foot that he could then try to coax into his car, with a good chance that no one else would be around to notice.

-

Also, it should be pointed out that Loomis lab, where BC worked when he was in the Physics PhD program, is just a few blocks south on Goodwin from where he nabbed YZ. So, he was probably very familiar with how relatively dead it would be in that vicinity at that time of the year and that time of day. I don't think he necessarily targeted that sole stop, but rather was probably cruising around areas of campus he knew would be fairly dead that time of the year/day -as that would give him the best chance of encountering a lone female at a bus stop or on foot that he could then try to coax into his car, with a good chance that no one else would be around to notice.
My husband got his engineering degree there 10 years ago. Summers, it's pretty quiet. A lot of students go home to parents, a lot of the science/engineering majors are doing internships at other companies in the Midwest in hope of getting picked up for a job after graduation. We went back 5 years ago in the summer for a wedding and it was REALLY quiet traffic wise around the campus.

I feel like he also knew to do it in a way where it looked as if he was just talking to her. Had we not known that was an abduction video, and we were just watching it without explanation, he talks to her a bit and then she gets in willingly. The bicyclist who passes by could've easily thought they were acquaintances, and that BC just happened to see her as he was passing by. He'd done his homework. Too bad he was a dumba** for driving a super rare car with an even rarer scratch on the wheel...

I have to wonder how long it will be maintained. Her research group will be moving on eventually. Then it is up to the gardeners. Over time, they will lose touch with the purpose.

I have to wonder how long it will be maintained. Her research group will be moving on eventually. Then it is up to the gardeners. Over time, they will lose touch with the purpose.

Perhaps, volunteers in the area could help out. People whom she friended on campus (and off) might step up to the plate.

Just a thought.

Perhaps, volunteers in the area could help out. People whom she friended on campus (and off) might step up to the plate.

Just a thought.

The UIUC chapter of CSSA was heavily involved with this project, as was the Administration of the university. It will be kept up. Plus, it is a relatively small ornamental garden and won't need constant attention. It isn't going to cost thousands of $$$ per year to take care of it.

Just realistic.
I understand what you’re saying. But I do wish I was close by. I’d make sure it was properly maintained. That’s the least I could do. I did it when I lived full time in Maui. Everyday I would drive and take in the beauty that the island has to offer. And along the way I would pull aside any memorial I’d come across. I’d say a prayer & get busy pulling weeds and dusting off their monument. Make it look as beautiful as the soul it’s representing. I have to say more than not, they were already being taken care of .

Just realistic.

This is not going to need lots and lots of maintenance. University F&S will water it along with all the other flower beds and plots on campus that they take care of, and I'm sure the gardeners will tend to it periodically. Plus, CSSA will probably have someone assigned to periodically check it out to make sure it is ok.

I understand what you’re saying. But I do wish I was close by. I’d make sure it was properly maintained. That’s the least I could do. I did it when I lived full time in Maui. Everyday I would drive and take in the beauty that the island has to offer. And along the way I would pull aside any memorial I’d come across. I’d say a prayer & get busy pulling weeds and dusting off their monument. Make it look as beautiful as the soul it’s representing. I have to say more than not, they were already being taken care of .

Nice! What a wonderful thing to do.

" Make it as beautiful as the soul it represents."
I believe that sentence will be in my head forever. The U of I has a very large Asian population. IMO , they have an extremely community based mindset. I believe they, and many others will continue to see that this stays fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase