TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as having done it myself, my door is tried at least once a year. Some will be genuine mistakes, others will be housebreakers trying their luck. I yell like a feral thing. Threats, the lot. Twice I've called police.

I would open my door if someone identified themselves as police and ordered me to open the door though. Or would have til now!

Perhaps something like that happened here. Equally, I'm a wee woman and Botham looks like a big guy, perhaps it would take a lot more to make him feel worried - particularly if his building is significantly safer than mine.
I once had police knock on my door in the middle of the night and threaten to knock it down if I didn't open immediately. My plan was to call 911 to confirm they were really police but they were so threatening I was scared they'd knock down my door then I'd really be insecure. So I answered and long story short I refused them entrance. They told me they would physically move me to enter because someone called and said people were yelling in my apartment. So after I made sure I was clear that, "to make sure I'm actually safe you will physically move me if I don't let you in?" And they said yes so I said I'm letting you in against my will. They came in walked around and wished me a good night. Yeah right.

Last edited:
I once had police knock on my door in the middle of the night and threaten to knock it down if I didn't open immediately. My plan was to call 911 to confirm they were really police but they were so threatening I was scared they'd knock down my door then I'd really be insecure. So I answered and long story short I refused them entrance. They told me they would physically move me to enter because someone called and said people were yelling in my apartment. So after I made sure I was clear that, "to make sure I'm actually safe you will physically move me if I don't let you in?" And they said yes so I said I'm letting you in against my will. They came in walked around and wished me a good night. Yeah right.

Exactly this.

The officer had arrived at Jean’s apartment complex after working a full shift and was still dressed in her uniform. It’s unclear how the female officer managed to get into Jean’s apartment, but neighbors told the Dallas Morning News that the units can be accessed with a key or keypad code.

Two women said they heard a commotion around 10 p.m. as they studied Thursday.

“It was, like, police talk: ‘Open up! Open up!’” Caitlin Simpson, 20, told the newspaper.

“We heard cops yelling, but otherwise had no idea what was going on,” said Simpson’s study partner, Yazmine Hernandez, 20. NY Post https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/cop-kills-man-after-mistaking-his-apartment-for-her-own-police/

If the officer thought someone was in her apartment with deadbolt on or some other locking from inside mechanism, she might have yelled this. But, why wouldn't she call it in and get back before trying to gain entrance into an apartment where she thought there was an intruder?

I will say that there is no evidence that these people knew each other or a relationship had gone sour. If the evidence comes out that this is the case, then I think it would be good to pursue but I see speculation in this regard as looking for a way to implicate the victim as having a part in his own demise--volatile relationship, bad breakup, etc. By all accounts this was a young man who spoke with his mom most nights around 10. I would think if he was in a relationship with her we would have already heard.

This story as it’s being told at the moment makes almost no sense. It didn’t occur to her that she might be at the wrong place when her key didn’t fit?

True. It doesn't make sense. We could get to some theories about why her key wouldn't fit.

1. It wasn't her door.
2. She thought someone she knew changed her locks.
3. She thought someone dead bolted the door which didn't allow her access.
4. Her mind was altered and she didn't have the presence of mind to take note of the apartment number.

Was this a walk-up apartment or elevator? How did she get to the wrong door without noticing?

The apartments are on different floors of the same apartment building. I don't get people who are acting as if it was something unbelievable. If she was not paying attention, she could have easily have gone to the wrong apartment. Not like it never happens. Presumably all the doors look similar. In most cases these people are not armed, so they realize they are at the wrong apartment and leave.

I live in a row of townhouses that all look the same. A couple years ago I was awakened by someone repeatedly pounding on the door and ringing the bell and trying to open the knob. I stupidly opened it and there was a super drunk lady standing there holding her bottle of vodka. She just said, "oh wrong apartment" and walked off. Someone here on WS gave me a good idea of downloading the sound of a gun cocking to play in that type of scenario, like "who's there? Click click"

I live in a row of townhouses that all look the same. A couple years ago I was awakened by someone repeatedly pounding on the door and ringing the bell and trying to open the knob. I stupidly opened it and there was a super drunk lady standing there holding her bottle of vodka. She just said, "oh wrong apartment" and walked off. Someone here on WS gave me a good idea of downloading the sound of a gun cocking to play in that type of scenario, like "who's there? Click click"
What if there is a cop or someone armed on the other side of the door while you play the clicking sounds? You are going to get yourself killed doing that.

The apartments are on different floors of the same apartment building. I don't get people who are acting as if it was something unbelievable. If she was not paying attention, she could have easily have gone to the wrong apartment. Not like it never happens. Presumably all the doors look similar. In most cases these people are not armed, so they realize they are at the wrong apartment and leave.
It is unbelievable to me. When your key doesn't work you might stop and think why.

What if there is a cop or someone armed on the other side of the door while you play the clicking sounds? You are going to get yourself killed doing that.
True. I guess I was thinking of the drunk lady although I'm not sure she would have recognized it anyway. Essentially I'm just out of luck; I have no peephole and no windows that I can look out to see who's there. I don't even generally open my door unless I'm expecting someone and have beat myself up about opening it for the drunk lady. I don't know what I was thinking.

The Instagram user wrote the following with the videos:

“My night was interrupted by a cop ‘mistakenly’ murdering a neighbor. I seem to be the only one with any footage of this , so here you go.. first video is the cop a few seconds after she pulled the trigger, crying. And the second video is them pretending to revive what I believe to be an already deseased (sic) victim. These clips come from a 10 minute video. First clip is 57 seconds into the video. The second clip is at 7:33… there was 6 minutes she spent crying in the hall. I’m not intrested in selling this footage so go ahead and tag the blogs you want cause I’m sure my post and/or IG will magically disappear soon. #BothamJean.”

Botham Jean Shooting: Woman Says Video Shows Aftermath | Heavy.com

“The Texas Rangers are now in charge (of the investigation),” he said. “This is not the Dallas Police Department. … Chief Hall is not calling the shots.”

Both Rawlings and state Sen. Royce West asked for Dallas residents to be patient as they work to figure out what exactly happened Thursday.

“Is this a white on back crime? Yes,” West said. “It was a white, female Dallas police officer who shot and killed a person from St. Lucia of African descent. Is this a race-related crime? Don’t know. I would hold any type of decision you make on what happened until all of the facts come in.”

“For some strange reason, the door was open and she was able to gain entry into the apartment. We need to find out whether there was a personal relationship,” West said. “There are so many facts that need to be looked at before determining what kind of homicide this is.”

Rawlings said Jean’s death is a very serious issue for the city.

‘We’re going to make sure justice is served,’ Dallas mayor says of Botham Jean

Surely not taking LE side on this one and toxicology may paly a role in this.....or it could be simply people should not work twelve hour shifts, I would hate to take an Uber with someone who had been driving for eleven and a half hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708