WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I've been thinking this the whole time. Just because she's out there hiking all the time, doesn't necessarily means she's experienced. She's fit enough to scramble, which is no easy task, but she wasn't carrying nearly enough food or wearing the right attire.

I hate to call attention to it, but there are numerous pictures of her hiking in just a sports bra or bralette. Zero protection from the elements. I know she had a jacket with her, but in all the hiking I've done, I've never once thought to take my shirt off to hike and I can't recall seeing any other person (female or male) with a shirt off on the trails. I'm sure it happens, but it's not a common practice - too much skin exposed for the sun or bugs or brush to get to. And what if she fell wearing just her sports bra & then was unable to get to her jacket to cover with? So many scenarios.

People get lazy with safety when they do something enough for it to feel like second nature.

When I first saw those photos, I assumed since it said she was an "experienced hiker," that she had actually been wearing more clothes and just took off her jacket/shirt to have a better photo op at these picturesque places - which would be fine! But I realized she must regularly hike in *only* a sports bra all the time if that's what she was actually only wearing on this hike. It does seem irresponsible, so easy to get scratches or even gashes from branches, or do more harm if you fall!

When I first saw those photos, I assumed since it said she was an "experienced hiker," that she had actually been wearing more clothes and just took off her jacket/shirt to have a better photo op at these picturesque places - which would be fine! But I realized she must regularly hike in *only* a sports bra all the time if that's what she was actually only wearing on this hike. It does seem irresponsible, so easy to get scratches or even gashes from branches, or do more harm if you fall!

And sunburn! She had been on Vesper before and knew there were snow fields. That would make sunburn risk even higher, with the reflection off the snow.

Going into an area like that without extra provisions, clothing, and survival/personal protection gear is a huge gamble and even more so going alone. And calling her an experienced hiker is bologna from my perspective.
No disrespect to her or the family, but she had no business up there alone.
I confess I'm guilty of going hiking alone. But I make a point of taking fairly busy trails, so there's always someone around. As seen in that video of her on the snowfield, there's many hikers out there, especially if you go on the weekend. If you stick to main routes you're not really alone.

As far as the possibility of abduction, in the sense that someone has whisked her away, leaving no sightings or clues at all, to me that seems a very unlikely possibility on a hiking trail in broad daylight, though there has been an instance of that happening. I would be much more scared of running into a bear.

I guess there are decisions every one has to make about how much fearfulness they want to live with, and how much risk they're willing to take to get out and enjoy the world, and not everyone will agree about what the right balance is.

Solo hikers seem to want privacy when hiking I guess. So they may venture off to more isolated areas.

Hopefully they get more drones out there though.

ADMIN NOTE:

Excerpt from The Rules: Etiquette & Information:

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

The Facebook group has a new post today sharing a link to another, new Facebook group for people who use Twitter and want to coordinate to post tweets sharing information about the search for Sam. The persistence and ongoing energy from her friends and supporters is amazing.

Samantha's mother posted another update this evening (9/8).
  • No searchers were able to access the mountain today due to weather. No one will be on the mountain tomorrow because they don't have anyone to go up. Their resources are very strained.
  • Bud Carr (now known by his real name Carlton) is going to be leading the search effort from now on.
  • Professional climbers are needed. Her mother indicated that law enforcement may not have searched all areas that they said they searched on the mountain.
  • She mentions the bureaucracy that is holding up the search. Many SAR organizations will not self-deploy, and she's looking for a group who might want to use this as a training exercise.
  • She reiterates that they are looking for a PI, and want a PI that someone can vouch for.
  • The mother mentions several times being deceived about something.
Her update from the evening of 9/7 mentions the following:
  • Dogs from the Francis Foundation were out. They found a watch, but nothing else. They were surveying the area today to see how many rescuers they will be needing and what kind of dogs will be needed. They will then regroup and let them know what they think needs to be done.
  • They are still trying to find ways to locate her phone.
  • More drone footage will be uploaded for review.
  • The mother mentions that someone who was recruited to search for them "did some damaging things". She said she "feels taken advantage of" and that they will be dealing with them via the authorities. She didn't elaborate beyond this.

But why should volunteer search and rescue organizations pay huge insurance premiums? Any cash they get goes to equipment and training.

The biggest cost would be 3rd party liability, as some people have sued the volunteers, claiming negligence.

Oh no, it’s absurd and a sad set of circumstances. IMO insurance is a rip-off, legal corporate gambling. It’s just law of averages but It’s 100% a necessary evil. That’s just the society we’ve built. In Morocco our guide told us they call Americans the “Sue’s” bc we sue everyone. We’ve handed these insurance companies their power but none the less, without more government help a non-profit has little resources. They simply can’t take a chance on being sued for 100k for a snake bite.. insurance companies could afford to help more than they hurt but boards of directors don’t care about you. It’s that simple.

After last nights update, I am concerned about her mother. She talks a lot about how she doesn’t sleep, and if she does it is only a few hours. She keeps talking about people who say rude things or people who have “done” or “said” things to her and how they “will be dealt with”. She still insists Sam is alive. Last night when even made a comment about Sam being able to see her updates but she wants her hone to talk to her in person. She insinuates that LE acted wrong.

She wants the publicity. With it will come the wacky people too. It goes with the territory. It’s like a celebrity wanting the status but never wanting to be recognized or asked for their autograph. Her veiled threats against those who don’t follow her script. Her insinuations that people or groups were negligent. Her blaming everyone else. It is concerning to me. I think she is on the path to a breakdown.

Can someone please direct me to the mothers videos as I do not know where to find them. Thank you in advance.

Samantha's mother posted another update this evening (9/8).
  • No searchers were able to access the mountain today due to weather. No one will be on the mountain tomorrow because they don't have anyone to go up. Their resources are very strained.
  • Bud Carr (now known by his real name Carlton) is going to be leading the search effort from now on.
  • Professional climbers are needed. Her mother indicated that law enforcement may not have searched all areas that they said they searched on the mountain.
  • She mentions the bureaucracy that is holding up the search. Many SAR organizations will not self-deploy, and she's looking for a group who might want to use this as a training exercise.
  • She reiterates that they are looking for a PI, and want a PI that someone can vouch for.
  • The mother mentions several times being deceived about something.
Her update from the evening of 9/7 mentions the following:
  • Dogs from the Francis Foundation were out. They found a watch, but nothing else. They were surveying the area today to see how many rescuers they will be needing and what kind of dogs will be needed. They will then regroup and let them know what they think needs to be done.
  • They are still trying to find ways to locate her phone.
  • More drone footage will be uploaded for review.
  • The mother mentions that someone who was recruited to search for them "did some damaging things". She said she "feels taken advantage of" and that they will be dealing with them via the authorities. She didn't elaborate beyond this.
I have a feeling this is the mother lashing out because she doesn’t like what she is being told. Kevin, the boyfriend, also posted a few hours ago calling this a “recovery” mission and that they only have 3 weeks left before weather forces them to call off the search. Looks like the Jon Francis foundation gave them ideas on how to be better organized, etc. I really don’t think there’s a right or wrong way to do an unofficial search. I think they all have the best intentions. I also think her mother is hurting big time and will probably look for a scapegoat if her daughter is not found. We’ve seen the denial. I wish she could have peace but that’s never going to happen unless they find Sam. I really feel for the ones on the ground who are doing the searching. They are doing their very best.

Can someone please direct me to the mothers videos as I do not know where to find them. Thank you in advance.
They are on her personal FB page. She then shares them to the group page but if you look up her full name you will find her page. We are not allowed to link it here.

I have a feeling this is the mother lashing out because she doesn’t like what she is being told. Kevin, the boyfriend, also posted a few hours ago calling this a “recovery” mission and that they only have 3 weeks left before weather forces them to call off the search. Looks like the Jon Francis foundation gave them ideas on how to be better organized, etc. I really don’t think there’s a right or wrong way to do an unofficial search. I think they all have the best intentions. I also think her mother is hurting big time and will probably look for a scapegoat if her daughter is not found. We’ve seen the denial. I wish she could have peace but that’s never going to happen unless they find Sam. I really feel for the ones on the ground who are doing the searching. They are doing their very best.
I haven‘t followed this case much. I just read her last post from a couple of minutes ago and it looks like she‘s constructing conspiracy theories. That being said, I think you are absolutely right and she‘s in denial and hurting. Maybe she’s also feeling guilty deep down for whatever reason. I hope they find Sam soon and that she can accept reality and mourn for her child.

I haven‘t followed this case much. I just read her last post from a couple of minutes ago and it looks like she‘s constructing conspiracy theories. That being said, I think you are absolutely right and she‘s in denial and hurting. Maybe she’s also feeling guilty deep down for whatever reason. I hope they find Sam soon and that she can accept reality and mourn for her child.
Oh jeez! Among other questions she asks:
“How long is the average search for someone who doesn't pay their taxes?
How long is the average search for someone who doesn't pay their student loans?”

Is she saying her daughter didn’t pay taxes or her student loans? I think she’s barking up the wrong tree. Many young adults like Samantha don’t pay taxes and/or student loans because they don’t have full time employment yet. I would imagine that when LE started their investigation into her disappearance, they asked about these things to see if she voluntarily took off to avoid responsibilities. Her mother seems to forget that there was a 21-22 day official search. That is more than double what most other lost hikers have had in the past.

Sam is 28 and I thought she was a real estate agent.
She also had some type of online business for “new moms”... I think something along the lines of those blankets moms use with the months to take photos of their babies on. So, she should have been paying taxes somewhere. I’ve been paying taxes since I started working at 16.

She also had some type of online business for “new moms”... I think something along the lines of those blankets moms use with the months to take photos of their babies on. So, she should have been paying taxes somewhere. I’ve been paying taxes since I started working at 16.
I took it as more of the fact that they will continually search for someone who have big tax liens or for mild offenders (she said she knows it’s not the same) but they basically have given up on finding her daughter. That was the way I heard it.

Sam is 28 and I thought she was a real estate agent.

She may not have to file taxes if she hasn’t sold any real estate and only makes a few hundred dollars from her online store. She also may not meet the threshold (income wise) to have to pay back student loans yet. Who knows! Would certainly be a bit peculiar if she was actively ignoring her taxes and student loans. I thought those two questions were off the wall. I also don’t think her followers can actually find out the answers to those two questions unless the other lost hikers’ parents come out and answer them. Neither income taxes nor student loans are public records.

I took it as more of the fact that they will continually search for someone who have big tax liens or for mild offenders (she said she knows it’s not the same) but they basically have given up on finding her daughter. That was the way I heard it.
You may be right that she meant it that way. Hadn’t thought of that but it still sounds a little nutty to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288