Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a lot of house for a single person with no children IMO it seems very high end taste . I would think with Lupus and health issues it would be hard to maintain alone . I wonder if she had help.

Me too. Just an anecdote: I know a guy who, in his early 20s, bought a fixer-upper cape cod-style house and brought in roommates who rented bedrooms (that paid his mortgage). He did most of the renovation himself. Then he flipped it and bought a bigger, nicer house in a nicer neighborhood. Still had a roommate to offset the cost. He flipped that place and bought a really nice place with his wife. All this while working for the cable company.

Like Shanann, he didn’t have a wealthy family to help. It took a lot of time and hard work to get where he is now.

The Colorado house was purchased in CW's name only in November of 2013 (I believe).

SW was later added to the deed, but probably not the mortgage.

They filed for bankruptcy in 2015.
Bill, if SW was added to the deed but probably not the mortgage, does that mean SW had no financial liability to the mortgage in respect to if CW declared bankruptcy SW wouldn't lose the home because she was not connected financially to the mortgage? I don't know much about those matters and clarification would be helpful.

There didn’t appear to be significant equity in the home in NC if I followed earlier info correctly?
Maybe her family helped her financially. They seemed very close.

They used an FHA loan to purchase the CO home, and I believe CW’s dad may have co-signed. You are right, they issued a very small down payment.

I haven't either. Here's what I found.

Shanann Watts, then named Shanann King, bought a home off Armstrong Road near Lake Wylie in 2009, according to Gaston County public records.
Shanann Watts, slain in Colorado with daughters, once lived in Belmont, N.C.
Just to be clear, SW owned a home in NC from 2009-2012, and sold it just months prior to her Nov 2012 wedding to CW. After moving to Colorado, CW and SW purchased their family home located in Frederick that was also under construction. Public records indicate buyers used FHA financing, which on paper indicated little cash down.

Was she sick during this time ? I’m confused about time frame . I remember her saying she was in a dark place had been sick a long time different diagnosis etc
I'd need to go back and watch the video to be sure. IIRC the health issues came later, and shortly after lupus diagnosis she met CW. They married within two years when she was around 28-29 I think. I'm thinking she was about 25 around the house-buying time. Need to check all that though.

Thanks for clearing this up about the Colorado home and the bankruptcy! I have read so much on different sites about this case and it is hard to keep it all straight! I believe that this couples trouble was probably driven by finances. Guess they didnt learh much from the bankruptcy! I have been married for 50 years and I know the times in my marriage where we had trouble, it was primarily finances. I just hate to see this for any young couple! Money and material stuff is not the most important thing in life! JMO

Me too. Just an anecdote: I know a guy who, in his early 20s, bought a fixer-upper cape cod-style house and brought in roommates who rented bedrooms (that paid his mortgage). He did most of the renovation himself. Then he flipped it and bought a bigger, nicer house in a nicer neighborhood. Still had a roommate to offset the cost. He flipped that place and bought a really nice place with his wife. All this while working for the cable company.

Like Shanann, he didn’t have a wealthy family to help. It took a lot of time and hard work to get where he is now.

Except that the house she bought in 2009 was new construction.

While we are talking about houses, I have a question that maybe someone can answer! According to what I have read, SW & CW had filed bankruptcy. I believe it was prior to the Colorado move. So, my question, how on earth after a bankruptcy, less than 10 years ago, did they qualify to purchase a half million dollar home in Colorado? Or, do I have this all screwed up? Can someone clarify? It just seems to me, that they filed bankruptcy, cleared their debt, and before long, right back in over their heads! Financial crisis #1 cause of divorce!!
I had the same questions. Seems there are a few types of bankruptcy filings - chapter 7 and 13, if you Google them. We are more used to hearing of the 7 type where your home is taken away and foreclosed on, and then you have trouble obtaining new credit for 7 or 10 years, I forget which. Maybe they filed chapter 13 where it seems like the authorities help you come up with a payment plan that satisfies the creditors but you stay in your home. But, how about downsizing first? Newly married w two babies and a 4,000 sq ft home... how about starting out in a home 1/3 the cost and size. I guess the banks don’t force you to downsize? It’s also interesting that LeVel offers a Lexus if you can keep up with the income requirements. That’s a lot of money and a status symbol. Many would be happy with a $300/month allowance for a Honda! I’m sensing a ton of self imposed financial pressure but whether that played into this we may never know.

Bill, if SW was added to the deed but probably not the mortgage, does that mean SW had no financial liability to the mortgage in respect to if CW declared bankruptcy SW wouldn't lose the home because she was not connected financially to the mortgage? I don't know much about those matters and clarification would be helpful.

If the mortgage is not paid, the bank will foreclose and it doesn't matter whose name is on the deed or living in the house. SW's credit score would not be hurt because of a foreclosure, but she can't stay in the house.

I thought it was connected to her ex husband - if you're all talking about the house on Peninsula?
It could have been. She didn't specify whether it was a joint purchase. According to FB vid it seemed like she saved really hard, never saw her friends, worked all the time and bought it herself. However it could have been during her previous marriage and she was simplifying matters by not mentioning ex.

I'd need to go back and watch the video to be sure. IIRC the health issues came later, and shortly after lupus diagnosis she met CW. They married within two years when she was around 28-29 I think. I'm thinking she was about 25 around the house-buying time. Need to check all that though.

I believe she became ill around 2010, not long after her marriage ended, but before she met CW. I’m basing this on the timeline she gave during several of her SM videos. If someone has her office video “My Purpose,”perhaps we can link it. I can view it but can’t copy the link to paste it for some reason.

It could have been. She didn't specify whether it was a joint purchase. According to FB vid it seemed like she saved really hard, never saw her friends, worked all the time and bought it herself. However it could have been during her previous marriage and she was simplifying matters by not mentioning ex.

Realistically it probably was being built as their marital home<modsnip: no sleuthing the ex>. Unfortunately, I think the marriage ended before the home was finished, so she ended up moving in herself in 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same questions. Seems there are a few types of bankruptcy filings - chapter 7 and 13, if you Google them. We are more used to hearing of the 7 type where your home is taken away and foreclosed on, and then you have trouble obtaining new credit for 7 or 10 years, I forget which. Maybe they filed chapter 13 where it seems like the authorities help you come up with a payment plan that satisfies the creditors but you stay in your home. But, how about downsizing first? Newly married w two babies and a 4,000 sq ft home... how about starting out in a home 1/3 the cost and size. I guess the banks don’t force you to downsize? It’s also interesting that LeVel offers a Lexus if you can keep up with the income requirements. That’s a lot of money and a status symbol. Many would be happy with a $300/month allowance for a Honda! I’m sensing a ton of self imposed financial pressure but whether that played into this we may never know.

They filed Chapter 7. The filing is public. I’ve reviewed it & there have been summaries of their debts printed in MSM.

If finances are indeed one of the factors in this case (and I think money problems are a factor), it's sad because they were capable and hardworking people, but who seemed to have little money management skills - but those skills can be learned! I really hate seeing this financial spiral because it's avoidable and it's fixable. Doesn't need to end how it ended, that's for sure.

jmo

They filed Chapter 7. The filing is public. I’ve reviewed it & there have been summaries of their debts printed in MSM.
Interesting. Then how could they remain in the CO home if they filed chapter 7 after moving there? That would have had them foreclosing on the home.
Edited to add... just looked it up. Guess CO law differs from what I’ve read about. They could remain in the home and it’d only help w other debt like credit cards and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288