GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

Too bad there are not more eyes on this trial. That NYT piece posted in #337 by JerseyGirl is a good read IMO. This matters very much.
Please keep posting the information nevertheless! I agree it is important to our society, and I am following closely despite my lack of comment. You are like a clearinghouse if information for this case.

As a resident of the Chicago suburbs I have been following the case a bit, but not closely. One thing I am completely troubled by is the fact that every single news report I have seen thus far has indicated that the officer is white and the victim was black. Is there even a scintilla of evidence that shows there was a racial component in this case? I am asking the question, as I am not sure, but I haven't seen any evidence there is, unless I have missed it. In my opinion, I find it inflammatory to consistently drive home this point when I haven't seen anything in the charges that call this out as hate crime. Can anyone enlighten me? TIA.

As a resident of the Chicago suburbs I have been following the case a bit, but not closely. One thing I am completely troubled by is the fact that every single news report I have seen thus far has indicated that the officer is white and the victim was black. Is there even a scintilla of evidence that shows there was a racial component in this case? I am asking the question, as I am not sure, but I haven't seen any evidence there is, unless I have missed it. In my opinion, I find it inflammatory to consistently drive home this point when I haven't seen anything in the charges that call this out as hate crime. Can anyone enlighten me? TIA.
There is a lot of information out there about implicit bias and systemic racism, especially wrt law enforcement, but I hesitate to post it here as it usually leads to a thread going sideways and being locked. This case is too important. But there are facts and studies and figures available. Google is your friend. :)

JMO the media print what people want and need to know. People care about the issue a great deal and the media are simply refelecting that. They don’t need to sensationalize.

As Van Dyke's trial enters third day, key testimony so far from other officers at McDonald's shooting

In the trial’s most dramatic testimony so far, indicted former Officer Joseph Walsh, Van Dyke’s partner the night of the shooting, said he believed McDonald posed a threat to police and the public’s safety the night of Oct. 20, 2014.

Walsh, who faces his own criminal trial on charges he conspired to conceal what really happened that night, was given immunity from prosecution, so whatever he testified to Tuesday — as long as it was truthful — could not be used against him in his own case.

His testimony contrasted with two other officers at the scene who told jurors Monday that they did not see McDonald make a threatening move toward police with the knife.

Prosecutors have shown the jury the infamous video repeatedly.

Van Dyke Trial Day 10: The prosecution rests after calling 24 witnesses

Prosecutors in the murder trial of Chicago Police officer Jason Van Dyke rested Thursday afternoon, wrapping up their case much faster than expected.

Van Dyke’s lawyer immediately asked for a directed verdict, for which arguments began.

Assuming that is denied, Van Dyke’s legal team would next have a chance to put on a defense. Van Dyke will also have to decide whether to take the stand.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back