NM NM - Tara Calico, 19, Belen, 20 Sept 1988

The first case mentions an old truck (Older model, Ford F-15). The report I mentioned in my post tells us that the kids used an old truck from one of them to hit Tara while she was on her bike.

I made a map with all three cases & Tara's story: Tara Calico & unidentified bodys - Google My Maps

Pretty strange that 2 bodies were found very near to each other. The other body was found near Belen (high school) which is not far away from where Lawrence Romero Jr. lived. In my opinion, Mr. Brown, the teacher who came years after and reported everything to the police knew he will die soon. He was scared and full of fear years before, when the kids told him the truth about what they did to Tara. Btw. Mr. Brown died few months after his report.

The report states: Romero said, after they hit her with a truck and then put her in a back of the truck where they sodomized and raped her: "she got ballsy, stood up and said she was going to make sure we were all going to jail." Romero went and got a knife from the truck and David, Leroy and the tall red haired guy held her down while Romero stabbed and killed her. He said they drug her body and put her in a bush nearby until they got nervous when the search started for her. He said they kept her "near-by", but later he joked about that. One body was found near the trailer where Romero was living (see map).

Mr. Brown (teacher) said this whole thing had to with drugs. Jeff Abeyta and Lawrence Romero Jr. sold drugs and the only reason they never got caught was because his dad was the Sheriff and that he heard Romero say that his dad hired Deputy Rivera and that "Deputy Rivera had their back". He said "the sheriff there is not innocent". Mr. Brown said they took the bike to the junk yard in Belen to get rid of it.

Mr. Methola (former Sheriff's Deputy) said when he got the report he did not know who was in charge of the case so he contacted Sheriff Rivera and was told to bring his report to directly to him. Mr. Methola said he needed to tag his cassette tapes into evidence first. Later he was advised by ms. Escuqibel taht there was a record he had taken a report but there is no report or any documentation of any tapes placed into evidence.

Mr. Chavez later said he understood that Rivera had conducted the investigation surrounding the suicide of Lawrence Romero Jr. and that he understood there had been a note left behind confessing to the Tara Calico murder but the note had been taken by Rivera and not placed into evidence. It is widely believed that this note really has existed.

Here you can read more about this truly adorable Sheriff Rivera: Valencia, NM

Some opinions about him:

"I have known Sheriff Rene Rivera for 21 years. I am also a former Deputy Sheriff with VCSO and worked side by side with Rene. I recently attempted a return to work at VCSO but Rene gave me the total run around. I am still a fully certified law enforcement officer but he will not allow me the opportunity to even return. In recent days, I have learned of Rene and his various unethical activities in recent years to include a young lady that shared a specific story into her being sexually assaulted by Sheriff Rivera. The incident occured several years ago and she has been afraid to come forward. Not good at all!!!

"I know rene rivera he was the investagator in my brothers murder case. he was given names address & phone numbers.to contact the people.to get information. do you think he did his job. he also knows the person who killed my brother and knows his mother.what do you think happend? well this person is not in jail. nor has he served any time for the murder of my brother. i wonder why?I was told the person that killed my brother was taken to rene's office and told rene he killed my brother.they told me rene told the killer there is no body therfore we cant do anything. aprox one month later his body was found.rene was given alot of information but did nothing. I reported rene to his boss. the D.A's office said Rene F---ed up the case.this person has committed other violent crimes and is not serveing any time.

"I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that Rene is a known pedophile. He likes girls about 12 years old, same as most of his predecessors. He comes out of Lawrence Romero's old bar in Jarales where him and LAWrence, Richard, Manuel and the entire Garley family spent all of their off hours trying to lure little girls. Hell one of the Garley's got caught with a 13 year old girl in a motel room.........WITH HIS WIFE,and him, in bed NAKED. I know for a fact that Rene raped a 13 year old girl a few years ago, but it was swept under the rug by Mike Runnels, DA. Rene was on the NM drug task force, but only for a few days, and then was canned. [...] We all know that the Valencia County Sheriff's Department is, and has been, one of the most corrupt law enforcement agencies in the country. [...]

Look at this article dealing with the suicide of Lawrence Romero Jr.:

Suzanne Fetsco of the Office of the Medical Investigator has confirmed the autopsy Concluded Romero Jr.'s death on May 19 1991 was a suicide by gunshot. Former Valencia County Sheriff Lawrence Romero Sr. on Thursday and again Friday disputed the findings about his son's death. "I look forward to his amendment because it will be amended," Romero Sr. said in a telephone interview. "There is compelling new evidence that will show that he has to make an amendment." Romero Sr. has maintained that his son's death was a homicide. The Valencia County Sheriffs Office has said they believe Romero Jr. accidentally shot himself. A man who was with Romero Jr. when he died told police he was in another room of Romero Jr.s mobile home west of Belen when he heard a gunshot and emerged to find Romero Jr. shot on a kitchen floor. In the interview on Friday, Zumwalt said he determined the cause of death was a gunshot to the head. He said he also determined the manner of death. "The manner of death was determined to be suicide and that determination was based on autopsy findings, the investigative reports of the circumstances, the conversations with the Valencia County Sheriffs Office, and with the father of the deceased," Zumwalt said. He added the death certificate was issued June 28. Zumwalt said he based his findings on "reasonable medical certainty, although not absolute certainty." . Asked to define reasonable medical certanty, Zumwalt responded, "In my opinion, it's much higher than just plain probability, much higher than 50 percent, but not absolute, not 100 percent ... I'm not sure what percentage I would put on it, but I think it's much more likely . . . that the wound was self-inflicted."

And this article says: after Romero Jr. was found shot dead in his mother's mobile home west of Belen. He has not been charged in connection with the death. Chavez has told the Journal he didn't kill Romero Jr., whom he described as his friend. He said Romero Jr. liked to play with guns and accidentally shot himself, apparently while playing Russian roulette

The interview with Donald Dutcher In 2013 was an interview with Donald Dutcher, who stated he lived in New Mexco for all his life and was familiar with two boys involved in this "accident" and that he knew Tara Calico. One of the last gentleman involved that has passed away spoke to him, he was a known drug user and he spoke to him right before he died. He said "Tara Calico talks to me at night, she asks why we did it? She asks why buried out there?" He said the guy was freaking out because of that and that they buried her out by the green lagoons by the rock quarry out on top of the west mesa. He mentions pond of water, green lagoon and the street "Camino Del Llano" and when you go all up that street on top of the west mesa you would find her. He said Romero was one of the ones nvolved and Charles Houghton was the other one involved and he didnt know the names of the other two gentlemen involved but all four of them are dead now. The guy who talked with Dutcher was Charlie Houghton, who died in 2000, he believed. He said Charlie was hyped up on heroin all the day and he later died cause of an overdose.
--------------

What do you need more? They took drugs, they somodized, raped and killed her. They threatened the teacher, Mr. Brown, to not talk to anyone or they would come after him. They got covered up by the Sheriff Rivera who destroyed all evidence after one of the killers (Romero) committed (or got killed) suicide. Mr. Brown reported everything they told him because he knew he would die soon and his time has come, so they could not do anything against him. He died 2 months later. Than the interview with Donald Dutcher which mentioned Romero too and other suspects. In my opinion, this case is very clear if you take everything into account and count 1+1 together. Of course it will be hard to charge anyone today, but maybe one of the bodies in the map is Tara - one is very near to the description of the road and near Romero's old home.

Thank you for the Detailed article methodic

Here is a link to some documents from the cold case review. It actually names names as to who people are saying was involved. I tend to believe this.

New Mexico State Police - Tara Calico

Thank you for the link to the New Mexico state police Documents nedflanders1980

It's so heartbreaking and disturbing to read what these monsters did to Tara.
I also understand that her ex boyfriend jeff abeyta was also a drug dealer like the other suspects/
It's so outrageous that all the suspects died without being prosecuted probably do this cover up.

Last edited:
Thank you for the Detailed article methodic

Thank you for the link to the New Mexico state police Documents nedflanders1980

It's so heartbreaking and disturbing to read what these monsters did to Tara.
I also understand that her ex boyfriend jeff abeyta was also a drug dealer like the other suspects/
It's so outrageous that all the suspects died without being prosecuted probably do this cover up.
It's tough to say whether their deaths were related to the cover up. If they were--and with corrupt members of LE involved, it's certainly possible--then I guess there was some justice after all. However, their lifestyles weren't the kind to promote longevity, so their early deaths might have been pure coincidence.

FBI hopes new photo will help shed light on Tara Calico case

Thirty years ago, 19-year-old Tara Calico went on a bike ride and never came home.

Investigators have never given up trying to solve the case and now three decades later, things seem to be heating up

The FBI has released a photo of what they believe Calico looks like now and they're hoping the more people who see it, the better chances they have at finding out what happened to her

Somebody had seen something that looked like suspicious -- a truck following her. So, automatically the FBI was called in because there was a possibility of foul play," FBI spokesman Frank Fisher tells KOAT.

About a year after Calico went missing, a photo of a young boy and woman who looked like Calico -- both bound and duct taped -- was found in the parking lot of a store in Florida.

"We examined it and scientifically looked at it. We feel pretty confident in saying we don't think that's Tara Calico," Fisher said.

Ipodcast: Vanished the Tara Calico Investigation
It has some very interesting information in it. I think at one point they had found that the Sheriff's son's car was found in Port St. Joseph. I lived about 15-20 minutes from where she was taken, also off of Hwy 47.

I'm posting this here since I believe those who have followed Tara's case have looked at this photo extensively.

Does anyone here think the girl in the polaroid looks like this missing girl, Melissa Aurora Burgess?

I believe there's a strong resemblance.

Connections:
- Polaroid found in June/July 1989 in Port St. Joseph, FL
- Melissa went missing in St. Petersburg, FL on February 12, 1988

I do not mean to go off topic from Tara, however I'm posting here because I've found ZERO information on Melissa A. Burgess.

I cannot find a thread for Melissa or this polaroid to discuss. If someone can point to me the correct location to discuss this possible connection I'd be appreciated!

Sources for photos:

polaroid - Case File — VANISHED: The Tara Calico Investigation
melissa - Missing Person Case

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 5.46.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 5.46.49 PM.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 5.42.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 5.42.14 PM.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 34
It's hard to say. I find it hard to believe that no one has ever been able to make heads or tales from that mysterious photo. You would think with the computer technology we have nowadays someone would be able to match it with someone, but I'm no artist, so I cant. Some feel the photo is of a real abduction, but others seem to feel that it may be a prank orchestrated by some kids fooling around. I wish we had more info about the photos origin.

It does look like Burgess though.

I'm posting this here since I believe those who have followed Tara's case have looked at this photo extensively.

Does anyone here think the girl in the polaroid looks like this missing girl, Melissa Aurora Burgess?

Connections:

I do not mean to go off topic from Tara, however I'm posting here because I've found ZERO information on Melissa A. Burgess.

I cannot find a thread for Melissa or this polaroid to discuss. If someone can point to me the correct location to discuss this possible connection I'd be appreciated!

Sources for photos:

I think the face shape, the eyes, and the hairline look similiar.

Connections:

Sources for photos:

no way the young woman in the photograph is Melissa Burgess , it’s Tara calico .

The woman in the photo was seen walking around the store and buying stuff. The boy was seen sitting in the front seat of the van and playing with the stearing wheel. Also, with the squirt gun and the book that was in the back of the van; that they could not have been using if they were tied up, makes it highly doubtful that the pair were actually kidnap victims.

The woman in the photo was seen walking around the store and buying stuff. The boy was seen sitting in the front seat of the van and playing with the stearing wheel. Also, with the squirt gun and the book that was in the back of the van; that they could not have been using if they were tied up, makes it highly doubtful that the pair were actually kidnap victims.
where did you see this at ? the novel in the pic is by v.c Andrews , tara’s fav author at the time (according to her mother ) the fbi could never say with certainty that it was calico , experts at los alamos lab said it wasn’t her & yet Scotland Yard ( Uk ) said that it was calico

Last edited:
where did you see this at ? the novel in the pic is by v.c Andrews , tara’s fav author at the time (according to her mother ) the fbi could never say with certainty that it was calico , experts at los alamos lab said it wasn’t her & yet Scotland Yard ( Uk ) said that it was calico

I took that photo very seriously, and did a great deal of research. It seems that the photo was a cruel hoax. One thing to take note of: is the fact that if a kidnapper took the picture of two kidnapped victims, its unlikely he/she would have dropped the photo outside of the van.

It wouldn't be a productive use of one's time. The photo has already been thoroughly and unambiguously debunked many times over. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Thank you, Ozoner. I didn't realize the photo had been debunked.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back