Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel he didn't know where it was and didn't have to hunt for it. He would deal with it once he was off work and started to stage the scene. IMO

Do we know which day the phone was found? Was it found during the first walkthrough when Nicole was there? If it was buried in the couch, they only did a visual at that time and could not search anything thoroughly. So if they found it buried in the couch, they must have called it and heard it ring?

Do we know which day the phone was found? Was it found during the first walkthrough when Nicole was there? If it was buried in the couch, they only did a visual at that time and could not search anything thoroughly. So if they found it buried in the couch, they must have called it and heard it ring?
I believe the first walk through when NUA was there. I could be wrong though :confused:

No I think they had enough to arrest him, based on his admissions (SW and disposal of the bodies).

I do not see anything unusual with the evidentiary requests the prosecution has made so far - I would have expected this as the investigation moves along - nor do I see anything unusual in the responses/objections filed by the defense. I would have done the same.

Really, I don’t see anything unusual about any of the motions on either side, except for the request to seal the autopsy report. That does strike me as odd, even under these circumstances - but I’m sure we will learn more about that in the near future.
Knowing the autopsy report includes two very young children, you find it odd that the prosecution does not want this information disclosed until trial?

BBM.

To me too. I watch the interviews and see a terrified man. Up for debate (and it has been a fiery one indeed! ;)) as to whether he's terrified b/c the killed them all or b/c killed SW (Nico) according to his own version. But as MerryB said- we all know now that he lied. If he was going to lie, I think it stands to reason he was going to "try his darndest to do it his bestest". So IMO, it's not about how good of a liar he was. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't but he did.

But I see terror either way. And, for whatever it's worth, the part where he is asked the names and ages of his girls is the part where I see him the most emotional. Maybe even the only part, but I definitely see emotion there.

JMO.
:) Hi I’m new. Hope you don’t mind me joining in. Have been following this for a number of weeks.

I see emotion at a number of points in the Denver7 interview. Most obviously around the 3.54 point for 4 or 5 seconds - where he says “Wherever they’re at come home. That’s what I want - come home”

He bites his lip, blinks a number of times and looks as though he’s about to cry. It’s the most genuine emotion in the whole interview. To me a glimpse of how he really feels. Your average person at that point would have burst into tears. But he stops himself. Don’t know why.

Interesting to me also that in a couple of interviews when he says the word “monitor” he seems to have a physical reaction - shuts his eyes, squints, grimaces and his eyes go sort of out of focus JMO. Only lasts a second or two but it is definitely there.

Sometimes with someone as quiet and introverted as CW, it’s the small things that are a window to how he’s really feeling IMO.

I am guessing it didn't show anything new from the night before... or we probably would have heard what her last calls/txt were and who to. I am also thinking it was turned off... or he might have thrown it in her purse or something. No need to leave it in the couch.

I agree, and this isn't unusual for a family annihilator. CW fits the profile to a T. To the point they could put his photo next to the definition in Webster's.

When people kill close relatives: Explaining 'family annihilators'
FBI agent Brad Garrett said, "Just because people look OK on the outside doesn't mean in reality they are."

Family annihilators tend to be white men in their 30s, he said.

Family annihilators don't typically think through the end result -- potentially being arrested -- instead focusing on "the immediate need and gain of the moment," Garrett said.

But "family annihilators are never spontaneous," he said, adding that the crimes are premeditated and build up over week or months.

In a vast majority of family annihilation cases, Garrett said, the suspect either commits suicide or confesses.

"Like anybody else that commits some horrible, horrendous act, and they do it based on emotion and immediate need or gain," after arrested, he or she confesses because "they see the reality of what they're facing" and often creates an "alternative version of what happened."
YES, and I believe it was that article that said, in reference to suicide, if they feel guilt, they tend to commit suicide, which makes sense. You can only feel so much guilt if you are following through with disposing bodies and lying to the world to search for your dead family. Sadly. IMO.

Snipped and BBM for brevity

I notice that he says "never" and seems confident of premeditation if we are to assume CW fits the obvious profile of a family annihilator. So does this mean we can assume this was definitely premeditated?

ETA: I don't think so- and I think many people on the thread think the murders were likely spontaneous. So while I totally agree there are many aspects of this case that fit a typical family annihilator, I do not agree it's a closed deal and that CW fits all of them. JMO of course.
BBM Not in IMO, but I don't assume much of anything. The articles just points out that it is more commonly premeditated according to research.

I'm thinking he couldn't find it?

I often lose my phone and the only way I can find it is by calling it from another phone. But if it got lost from him, he could not do that because it would show that they were both in the same location at the time he called it. What a pickle he was in! If that is the case.

Last edited:
:) Hi I’m new. Hope you don’t mind me joining in. Have been following this for a number of weeks.

I see emotion at a number of points in the Denver7 interview. Most obviously around the 3.54 point for 4 or 5 seconds - where he says “Wherever they’re at come home. That’s what I want - come home”

He bites his lip, blinks a number of times and looks as though he’s about to cry. It’s the most genuine emotion in the whole interview. To me a glimpse of how he really feels. Your average person at that point would have burst into tears. But he stops himself. Don’t know why.

Interesting to me also that in a couple of interviews when he says the word “monitor” he seems to have a physical reaction - shuts his eyes, squints, grimaces and his eyes go sort of out of focus JMO. Only lasts a second or two but it is definitely there.

Sometimes with someone as quiet and introverted as CW, it’s the small things that are a window to how he’s really feeling IMO.
Welcome Applecross!

Theory number #2

I do believe at least SW’s murder was premeditated. CW was probably already infuriated and stewing because his 6 weeks of glorious freedom as a single guy had been disrupted. SW most likely made sure CW take the girls to the birthday party which he probably didn’t want to and had been thinking about SW return the next day and how everything would go back the same and how badly he wanted out.

After the party one or both girls could have pitched a hissy fit a crying kicking temper tantrum as we occasionally saw on SW’s FB videos. SW would block it out. He became enraged as they wouldn’t stop crying and or screaming as he was already mad lost control grabbed the girls neck choked her in anger without realizing it strangled her then the other child started screaming and he angrily choked her as at this point he was enraged.

He knew after killing and disposing of the girls he had no choice but to kill SW too and planned out how he would do it when she got home.

If you think about his interview he was telling half truths.

Ok that’s all for now folks. Back to work. Ugh.

Last edited:
I am so back and forth about how the phone ended up in the couch. I'd like to know if it was powered on or off when they found it. I have this quasi theory that if it was on, she dropped it there during the struggle and he could not find it.

If it was off, I lean toward him hiding it there in a rush when NUA called the police. I think if he knew where the phone was when he left that morning, it would be powered off so it would not ping. Her phone pinging at the house all day would ruin the story that she had left with the kids before he ever got home.

BBM I've thought this all along. The phone was found in the "loft" area of the house at the top of the stairs. I think she was headed up to kiss the girls after her time away and he followed her. The phone was pushed between the cushions as they struggled. IMO

I often lose my phone in the only way I can find it is by calling it from another phone. But if it got lost from him, he could not do that because it would show that they were both in the same location at the time he called it. What a pickle he was in! If that is the case.
I do that as well. Maybe it was on silent? Or maybe he forgot this part of his story? Or maybe he ran out of time? So many questions.

Theory number #2

I do believe at least SW’s murder was premeditated. CW was probably already infuriated and stewing because his 6 weeks of glorious freedom as a single guy had been disrupted. SW most likely made sure CW take the girls to the birthday party which he probably didn’t want to and had been thinking about SW return the next day and how everything would go back the same and how badly he wanted out.

After the party one or both girls could have pitched a hissy fit a crying kicking temper tantrum as we occasionally saw on SW’s FB videos. SW would just laugh about it. He became enraged as they wouldn’t stop crying and or screaming as he was already mad lost control grabbed the girls neck choked her in anger without realizing it strangled her then the other child started screaming and he angrily choked her as at this point he was enraged.

He knew after killing and disposing of the girls he had no choice but to kill SW too and planned out how he would do it when she got home.

If you think about his interview he was telling half truths.

Ok that’s all for now folks. Back to work. Ugh.
You say SW laughed at her daughters distress in the videos?

Knowing the autopsy report includes two very young children, you find it odd that the prosecution does not want this information disclosed until trial?
Here in CO autopsy reports are public, it doesn't matter what age.

My thoughts on why they are keeping them quiet is to keep things air tight as far as a fair trial. Avoiding a mistrial. I also had the thought that maybe they are really horrific and it would really upset things? It's going to be hard enough to pick a jury with as much media coverage as this case has received.

It was on the Monday afternoon when NUA was still there, affadavit seemed to say.
Could be by Coonrod, CW or even NUA who found it amongst those cushions.

Correct.

I would imagine, based on what we know about SW, knowing her girls would be asleep when she got home she would’ve talked to/FaceTimed with them that evening. Especially since it was Bella’s first day of Kindergarten the next day. That’s a big deal.

I tend to agree with you about the timeline. I think CW & SW got up at 4 AM as the SM posts you shared show they often did. I think whatever confrontation there was happened around that time, hence the dog wailing around 5:15. IMO CW then scurried to get rid of the bodies in a panic, and left for work by 5:27. It explains why there was absolutely no clean-up/staging done at home as well.

Even if he’d just gotten rid of her purse & phone that would’ve helped the narrative that she took off. JMO

I keep hearing about the dogs wailing at 5:15 am. I've never seen that documented at that time. Does anybody have a link or is this a rumor that is getting legs?

I do. There is no distinction under the law - there was a recent attempt to remove childrens’ reports (as a whole) from public access and it failed when it was vetoed.

I can understand why the families may not want that information released - but that doesn’t seem to be the case, here - at least not in the initial filing... and an alleged suspect has already been identified and charged.

So the only exception would be a rather stringent standard of demonstrating substantial harm to the public interest. All cases involving children being killed are horrible... but there’s no blanket exemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa