DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
This had to be the hardest day yet for the jurors and family members.

I can't begin to imagine how painful it was for the loved ones in court to see the photos of little Philip. He was only a little 10 year old boy. They have to be thinking...'how could anyone be capable of such sadistic cruelty to an innocent child?'

No wonder someone in the courtroom fainted. It had to be horrible for anyone to see. My prayers are with them all.

Jmo

Dear Oceanblueeyes,

I cannot even imagine seeing these photos.

And the actual baseball bat ?

Oh my heart goes out to the family.

May they hold one another close during this unfathomable time.

Welcome to the thread ViolaAnn !

Moderators Bessie and Harmony 2 posted verified reporter twitter accounts on page one of this thread.

Unfortunately "Media Watchdog" is not considered MSM nor verifiable.

The other twitter accounts posted on page one are MSM and verifiable sources.

I'm so glad you've joined us.:)

I have been reading your trial updates. Thanks for doing so. We still miss so much of the trial in depth verbatim testimony but at least we do have these short snippets.

***Update*** Live podcast tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. by
Melanie Alnwick, FOX5DC

The information is as follows:

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
Admin ·

1 hr
"Don’t forget we’re going to do another live #podcast tomorrow at 11am on our Fox 5 DC Facebook page. Breaking down the events of Week 2 - Jordan Wallace, the guy under the garage, and new pieces of evidence introduced. Oh - and I have an answer to your inquiries about the family dogs! Please post your questions here so I can try to answer some of them"

Last edited:
For anyone unfamiliar with Melanie Alnwick's podcasts, they will be available on the Fox 5DC page to watch anytime after.

So there's no need to watch just at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow.

I found last time that it was better to watch it after it was "live" because then I could pause, rewind or fast forward.

Could they have swapped the plates so they couldn't be pulled over if the police had info from a rental agency with a certain license plate?

Aside from the GPS in vehicles which can be tracked, if the police were on the lookout for certain "plates", that wouldn't work if the plates were swapped.

Wint was spotted exiting the hotel which is how he was caught, not because there was a BOLO out for the vehicle. At least that's how the news portrayed it.

Right. But I was just trying to explain how he might justify the cash withdrawal to his sister. She must have asked why he wanted cash instead of the usual check. He may have known some auction goers pay by cash to get discounts, as a way to explain it to her, without making her suspicious. JMO

Right, but if he did, wouldn't she have said that?

Detective Fulton verified information on the pizza boxes.

In the Affidavit below the Search Warrant (link is below) in paragraph 21,

Detective Michael Fulton
states that:

"While canvassing the crime scene, two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".

Affidavit can be found in link below. Just keep scrolling down until you reach paragraph 21:
Return After Search of Ford

Last edited:
***Update*** Live podcast tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. by
Melanie Alnwick, FOX5DC

The information is as follows:

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
Admin ·

1 hr
"Don’t forget we’re going to do another live #podcast tomorrow at 11am on our Fox 5 DC Facebook page. Breaking down the events of Week 2 - Jordan Wallace, the guy under the garage, and new pieces of evidence introduced. Oh - and I have an answer to your inquiries about the family dogs! Please post your questions here so I can try to answer some of them"
Great!

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC

4 hrs ·
"Day 6 of the #MansionMurders trial began with an argument over a photograph – and laying out evidence that Prosecutors believe will eventually point to Daron Wint.

The photo in question was of 10 year old Philip Savopolous’ burned body. The defense argued that it was too disturbing and didn’t want it shown to the jury. The prosecution said it was important to illustrate the extent of the fire and the damage caused to Philip’s body. Judge Juliet McKenna said she would allow it. In the gallery, a victim’s advocate huddled with Savopolous family members, suggesting they may not want to be in the courtroom for that part. Mr. and Mrs. Savopolous decided to leave, while Jim Martin – Amy Savopoulous’ father – stayed.

Lieutenant Corey Goetz with DCFD returned to the stand. Wearing his dress blue uniform, Goetz described the harrowing scene when he entered the second bedroom. It was dark, smoky.. and as he stepped forward, Goetz said he started to fall through a hole in the floor. The hole, he said, was unexpected – because the majority of the house wasn’t in bad shape and he didn’t think the fire had been burning for that long. As he fell, he grabbed for something to hold on to. First, he felt the charred wooden frame of a bed. Then, a body. Goetz said it appeared to be “in a bad state of decomposition from burning”. Prosecutor Christopher Bruckmann asked him to elaborate. “I couldn’t make it out,” Goetz said. “There were no bottoms to the legs, and when I felt the head, I couldn’t feel a face”. At that point the jury was shown the photo.

Some members of the jury closed their eyes, others shook their heads. Prosecutor Bruckmann made a note for the record that the photo was only up for 5 seconds, but it was enough to leave an impression.

The rest of the morning was spent laying out evidence collection in meticulous detail. Fire Investigator Tomi Rucker talked to the jury about how she surveyed the outside of the house, then the inside. When she went in, “I could smell gasoline, or an odor consistent with gasoline”, she testified. Prosecutors walked her through several photographs of the rooms of the home, with Rucker telling the jury what different things signaled to her. Bedroom 2 , where Philip’s body was found.. looked as if everything in it had been built with lump charcoal. A flashover, said Rucker. So hot that everything burns simultaneously. While looking at an enlargement of that black burned out hole in the floor of bedroom 2, she said that area was the point of origin for the fire. “We believe an unknown person used gasoline and open flame”, said Rucker.

DC Evidence Technician Ofc Jeffrey Henderson was next on the stand. He discussed how police detect and collect evidence: photographing, documenting, assigning numbers then placing items in tamper proof plastic bags. A photo was shown of two grey telephone boxes located in the back of the house, near the white French doors that open into the kitchen. Five wires coming out of those boxes had been cut. Henderson also said he noticed a small piece of silver duct tape in the driveway. It was located near the double garage doors, in between the white Range Rover and the red Audi that were parked side by side on the driveway. The duct tape was labeled MPD item 1. Henderson testified that he was given other items from Detective Mike Pavero: #2, a shirt; #3, a piece of bedding; #4, a piece of fire debris; #5 a blade; and #6, another piece of duct tape.

In the coming days, prosecutors will continue to detail the physical evidence with technicians and detectives. The defense will suggest that collection and control of the evidence was not done properly, thus casting doubt on its evidentiary value.

Then, we assume – they will turn their attention to Daron Wint."

Don’t forget to tune in to our #podcast tomorrow at 11am on our Fox 5 DCFacebook page - and please send me your questions!"

DW's DNA is on pizza crust. Where was the pizza crust found? In pizza box in bedroom? In outside trash?
Page 107 - PH Transcript
upload_2018-9-20_19-39-21.png
Regarding dispute of where the pizza crust was found – in the bedroom? in the outside trash?
Preliminary Hearing transcript, July 20, 2015, Page 102 – 110 (includes Bench conference)

PH Transcript
Detective Fulton verified information on the pizza boxes.
In the Affidavit below the Search Warrant (link is below) in paragraph 21,
Detective Michael Fulton states that:
"While canvassing the crime scene, two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".
Affidavit can be found in link below. Just keep scrolling down until you reach paragraph 21:
Return After Search of Ford

Are the pizza boxes shown in crime scene photos or video? I would assume that would solve this pizza box mystery??

JMO
Not the pizza BOXES. Defense will present Reasonable Doubt about the pizza CRUST. Who found it? Where was it found?
Did you read the Preliminary Hearing transcript, July 20, 2015, Page 101 – 110 (includes Bench conference)
Regarding dispute of where the pizza crust was found – in the bedroom? in the outside trash?
PH Transcript

Not the pizza BOXES. Defense will present Reasonable Doubt about the pizza CRUST. Who found it? Where was it found?
Did you read the Preliminary Hearing transcript, July 20, 2015, Page 101 – 110 (includes Bench conference)
PH Transcript

I have not gotten to 100 yet.
Aren’t there photos?

Off topic— if you followed the Dermond case in 2014, there’s s new Lake Oconee case- Chad Haufler murdered Marc Dimos from late August. Thread on WS. Wow the link I just added!!

JMO

The photo of the pizza boxes as they were found, will likely be shown to the jury.

This may have happened today because "photos" were shown all throughout the day.

We just haven't heard yet if there was a photo of the pizza shown to the jury yet.

Maybe not until the DNA evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member