DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we read a verified report of testimony from the trial about the pizza boxes and photos of them from the trial, there's really nothing new (that is verified).

We have Detective Michael Fulton's Affidavit (in paragraph 21) stating that the pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom.

Return After Search of Ford

We have the Preliminary Hearing transcript (pages 102-110) which @SeesSeas refers to, concerning the argument from the defense attorney about the pizza.

PH Transcript

Nothing has been reported from the trial yet about this.

It is the nuclear DNA from the pizza crust that I am very interested in hearing about. I know I'm not the only one!

Last edited:
I'm reading over the transcript and noticed... there was a water bottle recovered from the home, and at least one fingerprint was obtained... but it didn't match Wint. I suppose it could belong to one of the victims (and also possible fingerprints couldn't be recovered from all victims)??

I read the print on the bottle was likely a firefighters’ because they often drink water from fridge in homes where they’ve put out a fire. Don’t remember where I read that, maybe here last thread?

Didn’t DW essentially concede the DNA issue when his lawyer confirmed he’d been at S house & eaten pizza without realizing what was going on, then fleeing in horror ? Thought I read he made that argument - if so no point in disputing the DNA evidence as it only shows something he already admitted to

Wint was spotted exiting the hotel which is how he was caught, not because there was a BOLO out for the vehicle. At least that's how the news portrayed it.
I recall that they had SWAT team in place at his GF place only to find they were too late. I think the hotel turned out to be good luck or somebody spotted the vehicle at the motor lodge. That's how I remember it going down...

I will certainly be glad when the transcripts are ordered and are available to the public.

They are ordered after the trial .
I believe Transcripts are available daily from the CR but at a very heft fee. Unless you're in DC and can access the court Kiosk, I think we'll have to wait on MSN to share with us. I've spent hundreds on transcripts for WS over the years -- sorry, no budget for this trial folks.

I believe Transcripts are available daily from the CR but at a very heft fee. Unless you're in DC and can access the court Kiosk, I think we'll have to wait on MSN to share with us. I've spent hundreds on transcripts for WS over the years -- sorry, no budget for this trial folks.
I spent a few months reading/researching trial transcripts from 1920 and the price was only what the bookstore charged to print a public-domain doc. But waiting 98 years is a bit long to wait to learn about the pizza. :)

Didn’t DW essentially concede the DNA issue when his lawyer confirmed he’d been at S house & eaten pizza without realizing what was going on, then fleeing in horror ? Thought I read he made that argument - if so no point in disputing the DNA evidence as it only shows something he already admitted to
Yes, "admitted Daron Wint ate pizza inside the house", but didn't admit that DW was in the upstairs bedroom where the pizza boxes were recovered. If the crust with DW's DNA was found in the outside trash, there needs to be other evidence which proves DW was in the bedrooms.
DC Mansion Murders: Prosecutors paint horrific blood-soaked crime scene in opening statements

UPDATED: SEP 11 2018 06:54PM EDT
They admitted Daron Wint ate pizza inside the house and said he was coerced into putting on a construction vest, but stated he had no idea what was going on upstairs in the bedrooms of the house on Woodland Drive.

Yes, "admitted Daron Wint ate pizza inside the house", but didn't admit that DW was in the upstairs bedroom where the pizza boxes were recovered. If the crust with DW's DNA was found in the outside trash, there needs to be other evidence which proves DW was in the bedrooms.
DC Mansion Murders: Prosecutors paint horrific blood-soaked crime scene in opening statements

UPDATED: SEP 11 2018 06:54PM EDT
They admitted Daron Wint ate pizza inside the house and said he was coerced into putting on a construction vest, but stated he had no idea what was going on upstairs in the bedrooms of the house on Woodland Drive.

In my opinion, they just need to place DW inside the home. Really it doesn't matter if he admits to going upstairs or not. Felony Murder Statute is active in DC. If he is present during a felony that ends up with a murder---he is GUILTY of the murder as well.

Is the jury going to believe that he was sitting downstairs, eating pizza, while his brothers were torturing and murdering the entire family, and DW had no idea this was a home invasion robbery?

I don't think they will buy that. He knew exactly what was going on, even if the jury accepts his cockamamie defense, that his brothers did the killing.

In my opinion, they just need to place DW inside the home. Really it doesn't matter if he admits to going upstairs or not. Felony Murder Statute is active in DC. If he is present during a felony that ends up with a murder---he is GUILTY of the murder as well.
That is comforting to know....but it will be frustrating if at the end of the trial we still don't know what happened in that house.

jmo

The thing I can’t get past is... if DW just wanted to rob the place- plenty of stuff to pawn in DC, MD, NY- he could have done that when the S family was traveling with PS and karting, or visiting one of the S daughters at boarding school.

I believe they were being watched/cased. We’ve had some home invasions in “mansions “ in Atlanta and the perps were in and out quickly. Even when there were security systems, folks tied up...

So was DW the ring leader, a pawn of his brother, or a pawn of someone who needed SS taken out, as @Patrick Thomas indicated yesterday???

This is a perplexing case. I have followed it on WTOP since it happened.

I've always thought it was a hired hit because $40,000 isn't a lot of money compared to the risk Wint took in the prolonged torture and murder of four people. This crime took a lot of coordination and had to have help from insiders who would have been paid by whomever hired the hit. I'm shocked Wint is the only one charged. JMO

After the transcripts are finalized, each news broadcasting station/newspaper will have a copy on their site.

The public is able to access the transcripts through the news sources.

It's standard practice for a transcript of a trial which has enormous public interest, such as this one, to be released via media .

I've always thought it was a hired hit because $40,000 isn't a lot of money compared to the risk Wint took in the prolonged torture and murder of four people. This crime took a lot of coordination and had to have help from insiders who would have been paid by whomever hired the hit. I'm shocked Wint is the only one charged. JMO

Why do you think SS was targeted?
Just wondering...
I like to hear theories.
JMO

^ This makes sense IMO, but are hired hits really such a thing? SS ran an iron-work business in semi-rural Virginia. Why would someone want to hire a hit on him & his entire family? JMO big piece missing from that puzzle!

Reactions: IDK
^ This makes sense IMO, but are hired hits really such a thing? SS ran an iron-work business in semi-rural Virginia. Why would someone want to hire a hit on him & his entire family? JMO big piece missing from that puzzle!

Remember attorney Fred Tokars?

After the transcripts are finalized, each news broadcasting station/newspaper will have a copy on their site.

The public is able to access the transcripts through the news sources.

It's standard practice for a transcript of a trial which has enormous public interest, such as this one, to be released via media .

I wish this was true, but I have rarely seen an entire trial transcript released by a news station. I hope you're right...

Fairfax County, where Chantilly is, has a 1.1 million population. You think that is semi-rural?
JMO

If anything, his status is a contributing factor to the hit theory.

There is international interest in this high profile case.

There will be news agencies vying to get the first copy on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23