Supreme Court Nominee

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 75 49.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This wasn't a groping session and she didn't consent to being thrown into a room by the two males.
According to her she had one beer. IMO

And according to her, there was another person present ("PJ"), and yet he (Patrick J. Smyth) says the event in question, never happened.

If this goes any further; i.e. a hunt for "proof" against Kavanaugh, based on an ALLEGED event that happened WHEN HE WAS SEVENTEEN...

Then EVERY SINGLE sitting Judge on the Supreme Court should be thoroughly investigated back to their own high school days.

And according to her, there was another person present ("PJ"), and yet he (Patrick J. Smyth) says the event in question, never happened.
I searched but couldn't find that she had named him. Do you have a link?
I found this on CNN.
Kavanaugh ex-classmate denies being at party in assault allegation - CNNPolitics

Though Smyth states Ford has named him in connection with the party, she did not publicly identify him when she provided her account of what happened to the Washington Post earlier this week. Ford did not immediately respond to a request for comment through her attorneys, nor did the White House.

Allegations aren't facts. Claims made >30 years after an alleged event are highly suspect, imo. IMO, this woman has a political agenda and minus any supporting evidence, her words are proof of precisely nil. I do not believe her recollection of events.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allegations aren't facts. I don't know why some posters here are making declarative statements when precisely zero facts have been established about what happened 36 years ago. Claims made >30 years after an alleged event are highly suspect, imo. I do not believe her. IMO, she has a political agenda and minus any supporting evidence, her words are proof of precisely nil.
By that same token we only have the words of denial from Kavanaugh. Should we accept his words since so much time has passed?
IMO

By that same token we only have the words of denial from Kavanaugh. Should we accept his words since so much time has passed?
IMO

Kimlynn, IMO, the burden of proof is on her as the accuser. He is in the unenviable position of being unable to prove a negative. If he did not do what she is accusing him of, how can he ever recover his good name and reputation?

Kimlynn, IMO, the burden of proof is on her as the accuser. He is in the unenviable position of being unable to prove a negative. If he did not do what she is accusing him of, how can he ever recover his good name and reputation?
A good start would be to allow her within reason to testify on her terms and clear the air.
I don't understand the rush in this matter....Why not let it play out and allow a proper investigation.
I don't think what she is asking is unreasonable. IMO

If this goes any further; i.e. a hunt for "proof" against Kavanaugh, based on an ALLEGED event that happened WHEN HE WAS SEVENTEEN...

Then EVERY SINGLE sitting Judge on the Supreme Court should be thoroughly investigated back to their own high school days.

They were investigated. They had thorough background checks. They just weren't accused of sexual assault. That we know of.

link?

He's not charged with anything.

This isn't a criminal trial. These are (mostly) public hearings.

He won't be convicted and it's highly unlikely that anything will change as a result of his being named by CF.
As I posted earlier...going through the motions. IMO

He can't be "convicted," per se. Its a senate judiciary committee hearing.

It is better to let 100 guilty men go free, than convict one innocent man.
953. Benjamin Franklin (1706-90). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989

You guys ... this isn't a sexual assault trial.

*sigh*

... Is anyone really reading/paying attention to the news? Serious question. No offense meant.

Last edited:
This entire situation is such a joke. If she has pinpointed the right person (and there seems to be some doubt about that), and she is not outright lying...

I know of, at least, 8-10 men, and women, who did stupid things in high school but who have led EXEMPLARY lives since. Including myself.

Am quite sure that if we base our supreme court on the high school/college actions most of those currently sitting, they'll all have to go.

With all due respect, I can say this. Many people do stupid things-- like drink too much or smoke pot. The issue here is in this situation is that he did not say, "you know I had a drinking problem in high school that caused blackouts and I stopped drinking that heavily. I have learned and not done that kind of drinking or behavior since." This is about honesty and integrity. No one on earth is perfect but it is not so difficult to take responsibility if he might have done it. However, if he maintains his innocence and a full airing of the events occur, well then, he has no responsibility to be taken. That said, I was around in the 80s and 70s and it was not uncommon for drunk young men to act this way. If she says it happened, I tend to think something did happen. Others may believe what they wish.

You are right many exemplary people did awful/stupid things in their past, including forcing people to have sex or attempting to force someone to have sex. Is it in the past? Yes. Was it right? No. The test of people is to hear them admit, take responsibility, and make amends. Unfortunately, many people who drink too excess in high school don't remember the things they do.

Integrity. Integrity. Integrity.

With all due respect, I can say this. Many people do stupid things-- like drink too much or smoke pot. The issue here is in this situation is that he did not say, "you know I had a drinking problem in high school that caused blackouts and I stopped drinking that heavily. I have learned and not done that kind of drinking or behavior since." This is about honesty and integrity. No one on earth is perfect but it is not so difficult to take responsibility if he might have done it. However, if he maintains his innocence and a full airing of the events occur, well then, he has taken responsibility.

You are right many exemplary people did awful/stupid things in their past, including forcing people to have sex or attempting to force someone to have sex. Is it in the past? Yes. Was it right? No. The test of people is to hear them admit, take responsibility, and make amends. Unfortunately, many people who drink too excess in high school don't remember the things they do.
IMO

"Drinking problem". Where does anyone claim he had a drinking problem?

Even IF this event happened, it appears, so far, to be a ONE hit wonder.

Would be very different if multiple women came forward and made the same, or similar claim...such as happened with Bill Clinton.

They were investigated. They had thorough background checks. They just weren't accused of sexual assault. That we know of.

He passed too, until someone came out of the woodwork with unverifiable claims...from high school no less.

So, my point is, if a person can halt the confirmation based on DECADES old he said/she said...then every single sitting Judge needs to be re-evaluated.

I was bullied mercilessly in school. One of my bullies went on to have an exemplary career in the Air Force. I am proud of him. He is my Fb friend now. Another schoolmate apologized (via FB) for an incident in 4th grade that I don’t even remember. Memories are funny.

Jmo

"Drinking problem". Where does anyone claim he had a drinking problem?

Even IF this event happened, it appears, so far, to be a ONE hit wonder.

Would be very different if multiple women came forward and made the same, or similar claim...such as happened with Bill Clinton.

I am not going political on this. I hope you won't do this either, as politics gets threads shut down.

He alludes to their partying even in videos of him giving a speech where he says "What happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep." ‘What happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep’: Kavanaugh remarks in 2015 speech get renewed scrutiny

It doesn't take being inappropriate with more than one person to make his actions a problem. It is just a nice way of saying that women have less credibility unless they are abused in a pack-- as long as he didn't get caught it okay is just wrong thinking in my book and is abhorrent to me. Rape and attempted rape aren't justafible if you only did it once--wrong is wrong. I am equal opportunity accountability supporter--don't care who you are, the money you make, who you know, why you thought it is okay--wrong is wrong.

I am not going political on this. I hope you won't do this either, as politics gets threads shut down.

He alludes to their partying even in videos of him giving a speech where he says "What happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep." ‘What happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep’: Kavanaugh remarks in 2015 speech get renewed scrutiny

It doesn't take being inappropriate with more than one person to make his actions a problem. It is just a nice way of saying that women have less credibility unless they are abused in a pack-- as long as he didn't get caught it okay is just wrong thinking in my book and is abhorrent to me. Rape and attempted rape aren't justafible if you only did it once--wrong is wrong. I am equal opportunity accountability supporter--don't care who you are, the money you make, who you know, why you thought it is okay--wrong is wrong.

And yet, it is political.

The entire situation is political, we don't have to "go political" on something that already is.

Unless she can PROVE what she claims, this is a last minute witch hunt. He doesn't have to prove anything, SHE made the claim and it's up to her to provide validation.

And, she doesn't get the privilege of setting her demands...she made the claims, very serious claims, and the investigators of those claims (the gov't.) sets the parameters for investigation, not her and her lawyers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member