AL AL - Danniella Vian, 24, Mobile, 17 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Aug and Sep? I think I would have paid the rent or at the very least rented a storage unit to store her stuff if apt rent was high. It would be hard for me to make decisions with the thought she was not coming back. But maybe someone is storing her stuff. I hope so.

The T family has her belongings. They went & collected them after MPD threw it out on the curb.

So Aug and Sep? I think I would have paid the rent or at the very least rented a storage unit to store her stuff if apt rent was high. It would be hard for me to make decisions with the thought she was not coming back. But maybe someone is storing her stuff. I hope so.
I don't think legally anyone can access her apartment unless they were party to the lease and only then they would be entitled to remove their personal belongings. I'm not an atty so this view is based on personal experience. I cannot believe that MPD didn't do anything to contact next of kin to arrange for a solution that didn't involve a Sheriff 'put out'. Did DNV have a computer or other digital devices and were they taken by MPD into safekeeping for evaluation or were they taken as part of the 'apartment clear out'? Entire situation seems suspicious if it weren't supervised by LE IMO.

I don't think legally anyone can access her apartment unless they were party to the lease and only then they would be entitled to remove their personal belongings. I'm not an atty so this view is based on personal experience. I cannot believe that MPD didn't do anything to contact next of kin to arrange for a solution that didn't involve a Sheriff 'put out'. Did DNV have a computer or other digital devices and were they taken by MPD into safekeeping for evaluation or were they taken as part of the 'apartment clear out'? Entire situation seems suspicious if it weren't supervised by LE IMO.

Whomever is listed as an emergency contact can enter (I'm a REALTOR® for a living). As stated above, it's likely that JDT was her emergency contact.

I can honestly say that I have never seen another missing case where LE throws a missing persons personal belongings to the curb. Were pictures taken of this process where MPD threw DNV personal items to the curb? Why not call the media or forward to the media as this treatment of a victims belongings seems way out of line.

I can honestly say that I have never seen another missing case where LE throws a missing persons personal belongings to the curb. Were pictures taken of this process where MPD threw DNV personal items to the curb? Why not call the media or forward to the media as this treatment of a victims belongings seems way out of line.

If an eviction is filed and the tenant does not file a motion to pay the rent current in order to stop the eviction, this is what happens. It is removed from the apartment and left to be claimed (sometimes in a storage unit for a period of time, sometimes on the curb).

I don't think anyone is describing the situation correctly. When she was reported missing, MPD likely went to her apartment to investigate and collect anything that could have information about her disappearance. Once they officially clear the area ie. determine it is not a crime scene, it goes back to being a regular residence. At that point, if her landlord isn't receiving rent, they start a civil eviction proceeding for non-payment. Once the eviction is granted, the sheriff's office does what's called a "put out" and they remove the person's belongings from the house and literally put them out on the curb. LE will warn you beforehand and ask you to move your stuff out, but if you are missing, you obviously can't do that.

I am just surprised and sad that no one thought to pay the few hundred dollars for her rent to preserve her home for evidence when a suspect is eventually caught and charged. Think of how much potential evidence has been spoiled. No PI is going to get back a suspect's hair or clothes on Danniella's bed to disprove the suspect saying he "wasn't friends with her" or didn't know her. What a shame. I can't imagine anyone associated professionally with missing persons cases would recommend this course of action.

If an eviction is filed and the tenant does not file a motion to pay the rent current in order to stop the eviction, this is what happens. It is removed from the apartment and left to be claimed (sometimes in a storage unit for a period of time, sometimes on the curb).
Wow, I would like to be a landlord there if the police are the ones that clean out an evicted tenant apartment! I just did an eviction a month ago in NC. The police do not move any items in the tenants space. They will padlock the door - that is it. The landlord has to store it for 30 days and then the landlord disposes of the items. Landlord is the one that has to put it out at the curb.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is describing the situation correctly. When she was reported missing, MPD likely went to her apartment to investigate and collect anything that could have information about her disappearance. Once they officially clear the area ie. determine it is not a crime scene, it goes back to being a regular residence. At that point, if her landlord isn't receiving rent, they start a civil eviction proceeding for non-payment. Once the eviction is granted, the sheriff's office does what's called a "put out" and they remove the person's belongings from the house and literally put them out on the curb. LE will warn you beforehand and ask you to move your stuff out, but if you are missing, you obviously can't do that.

I am just surprised and sad that no one thought to pay the few hundred dollars for her rent to preserve her home for evidence when a suspect is eventually caught and charged. Think of how much potential evidence has been spoiled. No PI is going to get back a suspect's hair or clothes on Danniella's bed to disprove the suspect saying he "wasn't friends with her" or didn't know her. What a shame. I can't imagine anyone associated professionally with missing persons cases would recommend this course of action.
Well said! Thank you Alethea

THANK YOU for understanding & helping to explain the "put out" process!

I see what you are all coming from with regards to preserving rent. MPD did investigate her apartment which I'm hoping included gathering as much evidence as possible. However, after that, the T family (the next of kin in DNV's situation) didn't feel it was wise to continue paying rent for an indefinite amount of time in hopes that she'd return or there'd be more evidence. Not only that but where would they get the funds once the was depleted?

I did a bit of research on AL 'put out' and eviction today on the City of Mobile website. The 'put out' by the Sheriff cannot take place until the eviction order is in place. It takes a bit of time for the eviction order to obtained. Did we have a formal eviction notice from the City?

So, the 'put out' would be handled by the Sheriff and not MPD. Was any effort expended to ask the landlord for an accommodation for a few months in the event that the missing DNV were found? How much cash was found in DNV apartment and how were friends allowed to enter? Most landlords of larger properties take entry into apartments fairly seriously for obvious liability issues.

This entire scenario with the apartment has me wishing hard that Mobile has a Missing Persons advocate to take care of the personal effects or a missing person with no blood family to protect their rights. This situation seems horrendous. Simply no words. None.

I just did an eviction a month ago. The police do not move any items in the tenants space. They will padlock the door - that is it. The landlord has to store it for 30 days and then the landlord disposes of the items.

The police department moved all of her furniture and personal belongings - they won’t help change a tire but will move an apartment full of furniture?

She's been missing 9/10 weeks. The "put out" was within the last week or two so the 30 day period has passed.

Can I ask why we're beating the rent/apartment into the ground? It had nothing to do with her disappearance/no related activity took place there.

As for the T family entering just after the disappearance, my guess is she trusted JDT to have a key and that's how she got in so soon. Once the formal eviction process was started, about 30 days after her last rent payment, that's a different story and entry would have to be obtained via LE.

Can I ask why we're beating the rent/apartment into the ground? It had nothing to do with her disappearance/no related activity took place there.

As for the T family entering just after the disappearance, my guess is she trusted JDT to have a key and that's how she got in so soon. Once the formal eviction process was started, about 30 days after her last rent payment, that's a different story and entry would have to be obtained via LE.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the questioning on the apartment is actually coming from. The apartment has no bearing on the case at all.

I'm would love to hear more ideas from others as to why who and how was the LoJack disabled on her car. That is one of the biggest mysteries and I absolutely believe is key to this case.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the questioning on the apartment is actually coming from. The apartment has no bearing on the case at all.

I'm would love to hear more ideas from others as to why who and how was the LoJack disabled on her car. That is one of the biggest mysteries and I absolutely believe is key to this case.

I completely agree. This has more bearing & importance to the case than the apartment/rent.

Is it confirmed that DNV was at the shell station until 11:24?

It’s been stated as fact that her CAR was, but was SHE?

Just a thought... could DNV have gotten in vehicle to ride back to Dublin’s with car 1, leaving her car parked at Shell station. Then (ironically) car 3 pulls in, see’s abandoned car with no one around, thinks it is an easy steal, disabled gps and jacks the car.

But then it’s hard to reconcile why she wasn’t seen back at Dublin’s looking for her phone.

Been following along and decided to think out loud. I personally don’t think car 1 was involved. But, as said many times already... nothing makes sense.

For me, it started with why would DNV not pay rent and use the money for a car. Then turned to being appalled that MPB put her belongings to the curb. Personnally I would want to keep the apt for a few months in hopes of my loved one returning. This information also helps with the voluntary vs involuntary missing. Sometimes people get lost personally and if they do not have a big support group it is easy to walk away Not saying this happened but every bit of info is helpful and to me finding out why her apartment was giving up relatively quickly is important.

Is it confirmed that DNV was at the shell station until 11:24?

It’s been stated as fact that her CAR was, but was SHE?

Just a thought... could DNV have gotten in vehicle to ride back to Dublin’s with car 1, leaving her car parked at Shell station. Then (ironically) car 3 pulls in, see’s abandoned car with no one around, thinks it is an easy steal, disabled gps and jacks the car.

But then it’s hard to reconcile why she wasn’t seen back at Dublin’s looking for her phone.

Been following along and decided to think out loud. I personally don’t think car 1 was involved. But, as said many times already... nothing makes sense.

The issue with this is if it was a random person they wouldn't know about the LoJack installed by the car dealership unless it was someone that actually worked there. The GPS system wasn't a consumer-based system but a commercial one. Typically LoJacks are hidden in the car so they are harder to disable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member