Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if CR was bummed to have a male translator this time instead of attractive females, I mean he was all stylishly shaven !!

Interesting..... I guess I didn't read that before. His involvement confirmed the time line. Wow!

What I though was sort of interesting about LE stating they had already built a timeline prior to CRs arrest, everyone here was left guessing why LE wanted to speak to people in the area of the five red dots between 5 and 10pm. It seemed to indicate they were still a long way from solving the case and making an arrest. Then bam!

Sympathy ploys are generally offered as a mitigation during the sentencing stage, after a criminal has been convicted. Or at parole hearings. But upon a verdict of guilty of 1st degree murder, there’s no reduction from life without any parole.

Otherwise can you imagine the elation of the prosecution if CR took the witness stand, admitting his guilt but insisting he didn’t mean to inflict the multiple sharp force injuries? Because it doesn’t matter how he felt later or even what he says he remembered later - the question posed to the jury will be does the evidence prove CR deliberately caused the death of MT? I don’t think it’s possible to find 12 people who’d dispute the fact that inflicting sharp force injuries is most likely to cause death. Later he didn’t drop her off at a hospital, he didn’t turn himself in or even send in an anonymous tip to LE to help them locate the body in the cornfield, dead or alive, instead of putting her family through weeks of false hope. I agree with others, he never planned on getting caught and any remorse comes from the fact that he was.

LWOP - Life With Out Parole. (Per the Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC))

FYI

I like the sound of El Wop, it makes me laugh. Especially when I look at CR!

I am new to all this and I hope this makes sense with my limited knowledge and terminology! From what I gather, CR is trying to say he blacked out during the murder due to rage and has zero memory of the act. Now I think he just doesn't want to be accountable and it's all BS, but just trying to see all possible sides! What is interesting to me is whether he was truly "with it" during the actual murder. Is there any certified diagnosable disorder that causes an anger/rage blackout where the person is truly unaware of their actions IN the moment?

If not - and giving him a huge benefit of the doubt - could it be a possibility that he was not blacked out during the murder, but then repressed the memory out of trauma? I know normally it is the victim that has repressed memories, but maybe murdering someone violently did trigger the same "can't handle it" memory protection? Is there a time span for those kind of repressed memories - like they are retained immediately afterwards and forgotten in the days/weeks after or could someone literally repress a memory right afterwards?

Again, I don't think he blacked out or repressed anything. But in the 1% chance he has no memory of the murder, it makes a difference to me whether he was out of it during the murder or whether he was aware and then repressed. I guess it doesn't matter although maybe the former would help an insanity defense? Mostly I am just curious about the human mind and whether any of this is possible!

I think the purpose of the brief summary typed on the affidavit was only to provide just enough detail to support the arrest warrant for 1st degree murder. One paragraph cannot possibly be the full transcript as LE said CR was cooperative and interviewed for “many” hours.

Maybe it was LE who left out a lot of important information? For example, it was during the press conference that Rahn mentioned CR chased Molly after she took off running, following her asking him to leave her alone and threatening to call police. That Mollie attempted to flee and he admitted to chasing her is quite an important detail although it didn’t appear in the affidavit.

Rahn also said, once in passing, that CR tackled MT.

Rahn also said, once in passing, that CR tackled MT.

I also think I heard that during one of the interview videos I watched, unless I imagined it. According to CR’s admission, that he was chasing Mollie as she was running away from him, lunging and tackling her would certainly seem to be the most typical means of preventing her from making a successful escape.

I am new to all this and I hope this makes sense with my limited knowledge and terminology! From what I gather, CR is trying to say he blacked out during the murder due to rage and has zero memory of the act. Now I think he just doesn't want to be accountable and it's all BS, but just trying to see all possible sides! What is interesting to me is whether he was truly "with it" during the actual murder. Is there any certified diagnosable disorder that causes an anger/rage blackout where the person is truly unaware of their actions IN the moment?

If not - and giving him a huge benefit of the doubt - could it be a possibility that he was not blacked out during the murder, but then repressed the memory out of trauma? I know normally it is the victim that has repressed memories, but maybe murdering someone violently did trigger the same "can't handle it" memory protection? Is there a time span for those kind of repressed memories - like they are retained immediately afterwards and forgotten in the days/weeks after or could someone literally repress a memory right afterwards?

Again, I don't think he blacked out or repressed anything. But in the 1% chance he has no memory of the murder, it makes a difference to me whether he was out of it during the murder or whether he was aware and then repressed. I guess it doesn't matter although maybe the former would help an insanity defense? Mostly I am just curious about the human mind and whether any of this is possible!

That CR will attempt to use any type of mental health/blocked memory defence is purely speculation at this point in time.

My opinion is that someone “blocking” their memory could happen as an aftermath of murder (willingly forget?) but it doesn’t serve as a defense of premeditation made in advance to intentionally killing someone, particularly considering the autopsy determined the cause of death to be multiple sharp force injuries. There’s absolutely no indication Mollie carried a weapon, so that leaves CR, armed and prepared. JMO

BBM
I could be wrong, and should look it up before posting, but I don't think he did actually admit to putting her in the trunk. What I remember him saying was that seeing the ear bud in his lap made him remember that she was in the trunk. That would leave open the possibility (no matter how improbable) that someone else put her in there. When he first confessed, I thought he was handing them their case on a silver platter, but the more time passes, the more it seems like his words were very carefully chosen. It's like he wanted it to be clear to everyone that he had done it without giving any kind of evidence of it.

He admitted to driving past her a few times, but not stalking her. He admitted to running behind her before anything happened, but not chasing her (then). He admitted to her telling him to go away, but I don't remember him admitting to saying anything to her. He admits getting upset/angry and chasing her, but doesn't admit to assaulting her. He admits to removing her from the trunk, but not to putting her in there. When I first read what he had confessed to, I thought he had admitted everything except the actual assault/murder; now I'm beginning to see that he almost had to have left out a lot of important information. MOO

You are correct the blocked out period is between chasing her and finding the earbud then he remembers she was in the trunk. He did not admit to throwing her in there, didn't say if she was alive or dead, etc. So many gaps in the story.

I don't think the defense will be nearly as hard as some people do. As long as they are only charging him with Murder One, they don't have to get the jury to doubt that he killed her; they only have to cause reasonable doubt in one or more jurors that the murder was premeditated. Unless other charges are added and/or the option of convicting of Murder Two is given, I believe he could be found not guilty. If that should happen, I think we all know that being legally not guilty sometimes has nothing to do with whether or not you committed the crime. I just hope whatever happens, it brings justice for MT, and some semblance of peace to her family. moo
What does the Murder Two conviction consist of in Iowa? TIA

I also think I heard that during one of the interview videos I watched, unless I imagined it. According to CR’s admission, that he was chasing Mollie as she was running away from him, lunging and tackling her would certainly seem to be the most typical means of preventing her from making a successful escape.
I recall this too, but had "blocked" it out for awhile since her death was confirmed, for me, knowing LE is probably laser-focused on it and are building a solid case against Mollie's killer. I agree with a previous post that what was in the affidavit was just a small portion of the evidence against CR. Often I think when LE "has" alot of evidence on a suspect, they parse what they have (which is huge) in the affidavit to just justify the arrest with no questions from the Judge. Gavel bangs. Arrest is made. Suspect is incarcerated. Lawyers are hired. Hearing and trial date set. IMO there is no question LE has evidence to convict the suspect of murder. RIP, Mollie Justice is coming soon for you and your family

50 years max, if I recall correctly from up thread.
That makes my day, thanks AH!! 50 years in prison for Murder Two as an alternative to Murder One with LIP/no chance of parole is at least somewhat comforting compared to anything less than rotting in prison. 50 years... is a lifetime for alot of people, though short when put in perspective against averages for Americans... Mollie had less than half of that time to live her life. CR spending twice or many times more that time locked up is just.

Last edited:
Everything you stated here makes me think CR is much smarter and savvy than that of a person with a 5th or 6th grade education. Wondering if he had help in concocting his story? If not, he is much brighter than his defense attorneys want the public to believe, IMO. Where was he reading? Who was he talking to prior to questioning? Hopefully his computer (if he has one) and his cell hold the answers.

To do what he has done since he has been here tells me he has sufficient street smarts which in my opinion is what got him by all this time with no problem. He has learned how to scam his life in this country quite well. His Uncle and his buddies taught him. Now he has been caught murdering a beautiful young woman, I am thankful he is in a cage and there are many more of his kind out there.

You are correct the blocked out period is between chasing her and finding the earbud then he remembers she was in the trunk. He did not admit to throwing her in there, didn't say if she was alive or dead, etc. So many gaps in the story.
BBM
So many gaps in the story that has been given to the public. LE questioned CR for hours. They had a time line they were confident of and have said CR confirmed that timeline. We have no idea how much CR filled in the gaps, perhaps inadvertently, during that long interview.
Let's say that he answered with a lie. LE could say, but her fitbit shows this or the camera at XXXXX shows this, and he came up with something more that can be pieced together into a coherent story.
CR confirmed LE's timeline.
We have only a tiny, tiny bit of the information LE had at the time of the arrest -- just enough to get a warrant -- and nothing they have accumulated since. I suspect the amount of information LE has is incredible.

That makes my day, thanks AH!! 50 years in prison for Murder Two as an alternative to Murder One with LIP/no chance of parole is at least somewhat comforting compared to anything less than rotting in prison. 50 years... is a lifetime for alot of people, though short when put in perspective against averages for Americans... Mollie had less than half of that time to live her life. CR spending twice or many times more that time locked up is just.
He's already 24, so 50 years in prison will make him an old man of 74 if he ever gets out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288