DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ This makes sense IMO, but are hired hits really such a thing? SS ran an iron-work business in semi-rural Virginia. Why would someone want to hire a hit on him & his entire family? JMO big piece missing from that puzzle!
I can think of reasons why a business in the building industry working on BIG projects would be targeted. This isn't some small-town operation. Their jobs were big constructions.

I don't know a thing about their business, but am just stating that this wasn't a mom & pop operation - there was big-money connections, and I can understand the "hit job" theories, though I don't see any real evidence for those theories.

jmo

I think population density is a better indicator of an area being rural/suburban/urban.

From Wikipedia
Density-
2,937/sq mi (1,134/km2)

“As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,081,726,[1] in 2015, it was estimated at 1,142,234,[2] making it the Commonwealth's most populous jurisdiction, with 13.6% of Virginia's population. The county is also the most populous jurisdiction in the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, with 19.8% of the MSA population, as well as the larger Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area, with 13.1% of the CSApopulation. The county seat is the City of Fairfax, though because it is an independent city under Virginia law, the city of Fairfax is not part of Fairfax County.[3]

Sounds pretty suburban, bordering on urban. With "rural pockets" as wikipedia describes.

There's something amusing about this :rolleyes:

I live in an area with a similar density. Suburban/urban edge city.

The “Commonwealth” has some interesting quirks.

I live in an area with a similar density. Suburban/urban edge city.

The “Commonwealth” has some interesting quirks.

I agree. So the City of Fairfax doesn't belong to any county I presume?

Here in Connecticut we have town government and state government. That's it.

Some towns are broken up into "villages" or "boroughs", so the tax money received from each village is usually proportionate to how much that area gets for fire and EMS. Other than that, they don't have any power. It's just nice to have a name for your neighborhood/part of town, as some towns and cities here go from urban to rural real fast.

^ This makes sense IMO, but are hired hits really such a thing? SS ran an iron-work business in semi-rural Virginia. Why would someone want to hire a hit on him & his entire family? JMO big piece missing from that puzzle!

American Iron Works is actually in Hyattsville, Maryland which is northeast of DC. The dojo was in Chantilly, Virginia--about 25 miles west of DC.

Lol, Chantilly is straight up rural to me! But I live in DC metro so I guess my perspective is skewed. Parts of Fairfax county are suburban (metro access, traffic & sprawl issues etc) but not Chantilly IMO!

In any case, good points about Hyattsville location and the scale of AIW work. IIRC they worked on downtown DC arena and/or convention center.

But still! Assuming he had business rivals, who doesn’t? And a rivalry bad enough to have him violently murdered in his home with his entire family?? Anyway a multi-generation family business doesn’t fold & surrender its client base because one member is killed.

Also seems odd that the hired hitman would turn out to be a former employee with a violent temper problem in his personal life & past arrest for hanging out near AIW with a machete or whatever that story was.

Not saying it’s impossible! Just that there’s a giant piece missing from that puzzle for me. MOO.

@taylorss
Rural is Wytheville.

Suppose you had a beef with a former business partner-wouldn’t it be almost perfect to seek out someone to do your dirty work? Especially if that someone also had a history, a grudge with that same former business partner?
Quite convenient, especially if the former employee you hire isn’t an Ivy League grad and has an extensive, violent history...

Just exploring possibilities here at WS. I have read too many John Sanford novels...

Not saying DW isn’t guilty, it’ll be hard to ‘splain away the DNA evidence and witness statements.

And why did it take DW over a decade to seek his revenge? He seems like an “immediate revenge” kinda guy based on his criminal history.

40k was a pittance to the S family. And DW stole nothing to fence?

I am glad the judge allowed the photo showing the horror PS endured.

What are the main reasons people murder?

JMO-MOO

But still! Assuming he had business rivals, who doesn’t? And a rivalry bad enough to have him violently murdered in his home with his entire family?? Anyway a multi-generation family business doesn’t fold & surrender its client base because one member is killed.

It could be something more personal than business. Well, it appears that way.

Also seems odd that the hired hitman would turn out to be a former employee with a violent temper problem in his personal life & past arrest for hanging out near AIW with a machete or whatever that story was.

I think Wint was framed and roped into going to the Savopoulos'. The trial isn't over til' it's over.

Is the jury going to believe that he was sitting downstairs, eating pizza, while his brothers were torturing and murdering the entire family, and DW had no idea this was a home invasion robbery?

I don't think they will buy that. He knew exactly what was going on, even if the jury accepts his cockamamie defense, that his brothers did the killing.

I agree. Imo the defense argument isn't logical. Jurors will weigh this foolish argument and find it totally illogical without any common sense.

They even are arguing against themselves. First they admit he was eating the pizza while everyone was being kidnapped..tortured and murdered upstairs but are going to try and refute how the pizza evidence was handled.

I guess to them they will try to say the so called other killers bound down the stairs..told Wint right in the middle of the melee ..' 'hey bro..all of this has made us hungry...give me the rest of the pizza' etc.

Sometimes the defense arguments are so over the top it continues to even shock me.

These defense arguments show desperation. This usually happens when they know full well the facts are against the defendant. The more damaging facts entered...the more bizarre the defense strategy becomes.

And trying to say others were involved does not lessen his guilt and culpability one iota. He would still be equally guilty under the law. Imo they will not produce any factual evidence of others being inside the home with him while he was doing this all by himself.

I had to chuckle when they said poor Wint was coerced and made to wear the green vest. This man has a violent temper. That is shown in his other violent past acts but yeah all of a sudden he becomes someone who can be intimidated and coerced. Riiight.

I hope the defense opens the door by trying to say Wint is really a coward who was coerced. Then the DA can bring in evidence to refute it.

Jmo

@taylorss
Rural is Wytheville.

Suppose you had a beef with a former business partner-wouldn’t it be almost perfect to seek out someone to do your dirty work? Especially if that someone also had a history, a grudge with that same former business partner?
Quite convenient, especially if the former employee you hire isn’t an Ivy League grad and has an extensive, violent history...

Just exploring possibilities here at WS. I have read too many John Sanford novels...

Not saying DW isn’t guilty, it’ll be hard to ‘splain away the DNA evidence and witness statements.

And why did it take DW over a decade to seek his revenge? He seems like an “immediate revenge” kinda guy based on his criminal history.

40k was a pittance to the S family. And DW stole nothing to fence?

I am glad the judge allowed the photo showing the horror PS endured.

What are the main reasons people murder?

JMO-MOO

Why do you think SS was targeted?
Just wondering...
I like to hear theories.
JMO

Speaking for myself I don't have a theory as to why, but I just really have a hard time believing DW orchestrated this let alone was the sole actor in it. It seems like something that took tons of planning and detail - like what you'd expect of say a jewel thief type criminal - not someone with anger issues and who was poor. I absolutely think DW is guilty of Felony Murder at a minimum, but I think there are others out there and that they are more guilty than him with him being more of a hired hand to the ultimate person in charge who may never have actually been at the house. I would think if DW did orchestrate this and was plotting out things like casing a joint, cutting telephone wires, disabling and destroying the security system, etc. and had never been caught for such activities previously, that DW would have considerable more wealth from prior successful burglaries as whoever was running this it wasn't their first rodeo in doing something like this.

At 0.57 of the following video from NBC coverage of the trial, the two men testify about identifying D.W. going into the garage around noon. An hour or so later the fire started.

I feel it will be difficult for the defense to argue that D.W. was not present around then just before the fire was started.

The description given by these two men from the home of the Australian Embassador matches the description given by the two women in the parking lot . This would be the same parking lot where, after they women left, the Porsche was set on fire.

Assistant of Mansion Murders Victim Testifies for Second Day

Last edited:
I think this case will layout what really happened and by whom. Rarely are all questions answered nor are they required to be.

Most cases aren't like fiction novels. Most are..what they show they are and aren't nearly as complex as some would like to think.

To this day I haven't seen any factual evidence he had help or facts showing this was a hit man style murder. No hit man that I am aware of uses this MO. If it had been a hit once receiving the 40k he would have shot them all in the head execution style and left. Philip wouldn't have been tortured and set on fire while alive. Baseball bats and knives show imo this was no paid hit. The bludgeoning weapon and knife are up close and personal weapons and they are known to prolong the pain and terrible suffering of the victims.

Imo he is no different than others before him who were perfectly capable of carrying out holding multiple victims against their will while terrorising them before they were all murdered by that same suspect.

He probably used his brothers to laundry the cash he had gotten. Other than that possibility I don't think they or anyone else was involved before then.

Jmo

First they admit he was eating the pizza while everyone was being kidnapped..tortured and murdered upstairs but are going to try and refute how the pizza evidence was handled.

No, they did not say that. Please stop embellishing and spreading disinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆