Hurricane Maria - Sept 2017

Howdy ho! It's been a year since Hurricane Maria wiped our island off the map. Some of us have recovered, others are still struggling, but it's been an experience of learning, tragedy, horror, and reflection.

I thank all the people at websleuths who were always on the look out for me.

I wrote a diary about my experiences with the hurricane. Originally in spanish, I'm currently translating it and publishing it through Wattpad where I published the original spanish version

Here's the link for the current in process English version: The Diaries of the Hurricane Maria - Gabriel Rodriguez - Wattpad

So good to hear from you. I remember you checked in in the aftermath. Glad your well. So very sorry your Island has suffered so. I look forward to reading.

What upsets me greatly. Is that the news media rushes in to report on a disaster, then leaves with little or no follow up.
It really is like they are purely there for ratings and their careers.
They do not do follow up about what has happened to the people who are trying to endure the aftermaths of how the disaster affected their lives.
THAT IS THE REAL STORY.
Something that we humans can learn from when Mother Nature changes everything we are used to.
I think that our current news media sucks.
They should be telling the stories of the thousands of people who have been affected by these storms!
But they do not.
Your entire community and all small businesses could be wiped out and the "news media people" could not care less.

W
What upsets me greatly. Is that the news media rushes in to report on a disaster, then leaves with little or no follow up.
It really is like they are purely there for ratings and their careers.
They do not do follow up about what has happened to the people who are trying to endure the aftermaths of how the disaster affected their lives.
THAT IS THE REAL STORY.
Something that we humans can learn from when Mother Nature changes everything we are used to.
I think that our current news media sucks.
They should be telling the stories of the thousands of people who have been affected by these storms!
But they do not.
Your entire community and all small businesses could be wiped out and the "news media people" could not care less.

It's what I call disaster journalism. They all came like vultures for ratings since the disaster would trigger political responses from both sides, but only a few media like "Wired" have done deep reporting on why the electricity took so long to recover.

The media has focused mostly from those still struggling (Something normal after a Hurricane like Maria), but also has forgotten the stories of those who recovered successfully.

So good to hear from you. I remember you checked in in the aftermath. Glad your well. So very sorry your Island has suffered so. I look forward to reading.

Thanks. It still feels like yesterday. Some people have chosen not to remember (Everyone copes diferent) But I chosen to remember

FEMA Officials Charged Over Puerto Rico Hurricane Relief

Two Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) employees have been charged with fraud and bribery over their handling of hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico.

Ahsha Nateef Tribble, the official that the Justice Department identified as the “primary leader” for restoring power on the island after Hurricane Maria, pressured other FEMA employees and Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority to use a company called Cobra Acquisitions, LLC to do work relating to power restoration.. Tribble “developed a personal relationship” with then-President of Cobra Acquisitions Donald Keith Ellison.

Tribble is said to have received perks like hotel accommodation, first-class airfare, the use of a credit card and personal helicopter flights from Cobra Acquisitions. Authorities said Ellison also provided a job at the company for Tribble’s friend Jovanda R. Patterson, when she left FEMA in July 2018.

Tribble, Patterson and Ellison are all facing charges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back