Hurricane Florence - September 2018

I'm one lucky person today. water receded enough for me to check on my home and it was spared from water from the flood that has totally destroyed homes a block from mine. I'm going to try to upload a photo of my neighborhood.

Oh my gosh, how lucky you were, lonetraveler! That is just awful to see how close it was to you and what those poor homeowners are going to go through.

Where will all these people go?

Florence County, S.C. (WPDE) —
Florence County Emergency Management has ordered mandatory evacuations for people living in the following areas along Lynches River:

From Highway 301 Bridge downstream to the Highway 52 Bridge to include:

Kelley Road from N. Bethel Road to Old Creek Road

W Old # 4 Hwy from Salem Road to Hwy 52

McAllister Mill Road from W Old # 4 Hwy to Wylie Road

Oak Grove Road from E Deer Road to Meadow Prong

Meadow Prong from Olanta Hwy to Oak Grove Road

April Lane, Snookim Lane, Ackerman Drive, Starburst Road, York Lane, Rainbow Road, Johnnie Lee Road, Mary’s Shortcut Road, Wheeler Road, Ben Gause Road, County Park Road, Bagpipe Lane, Mary Shortcut Road, Johnnie Lee Road, Custer Road, Bonanza Road, Spine Road, Old Creek Road, Quail Lane Delta Road, Butterbean Road, Gingerbread Lane, Syrup Mill Road, Hawkins Lane, Green Forrest Road, Mary Road, Pole Cat Road, Bluefield Road, Fork Road, Hill Road, Wylie Road, Strickland Farm Road, Floyd Lane, Revell Lane, Yellow Bluff Road, Wedge Lane, Tower Cir, Wendy Road, Stumps Lane, Serenity Road, Farmtree Road, Farm Road, Roundtree Road, W Deer Road, E Deer Road, Hall Road, Kirby Road, Gaymon Road, W Tedder Road, Saps Circle, River Bank Road, Troy Brown Road, Mossy Grove Lane.

Emergency managers said if you are evacuating, you should pack the following essential items in case the evacuation period is lengthy:

required medications, adequate clothing and essential personal items.

If you are going to a local emergency shelter, bring their own comfort items like pillows and blankets along with special food items for small children or if you are on a restricted diet. If you are headed to a shelter, it is important that you bring some key items for yourself.

The American Red Cross encourages people to bring the following items for each member of their family:

• Prescription and emergency medication

• Extra clothing

• Cot or sleeping pad

• Pillows

• Blankets

• Hygiene supplies

• Important documents

• Any other comfort items

You should not leave pets behind. Plan to board pets with veterinarians, kennels, or other facilities in non-vulnerable areas. Residents with pets can go to an emergency shelter. Workers at the shelter will make arrangements for you and your pets. Residents evacuating are asked to leave with some proof of residency for reentry purposes once the order to evacuate is rescinded.

We have opened four shelters as of 7:00am this morning, Friday, September 21, 2018 at the following locations:

Johnsonville First Baptist Church
145 North Georgetown Hwy
Johnsonville, SC

Coward Community Center
109 East Friendfield Road
Coward, SC

STARS Gym
1409 South Church Street
Florence, SC

Mt. Clair Missionary Baptist Church
1009 East Main Street
Lake City, SC

Mandatory evacuations ordered for people living along Lynches River in Florence County

It breaks my heart that livestock is left behind :(

Agreed, but if livestock has to be left behind, at least turn it free so it has a chance to survive. I think many of us were astonished at how well the wild horses survived on the barrier islands when they had chance to seek shelter for themselves.

Edited: I don’t know what that was about. I’ve never received that kind of msg before. Sorry

Poor T in Elizabethtown, NC was finally able to get to the supermarket a few days ago and restock but the water is still flooding the streets where he lives. And then Cape Fear River - The Duke Energy dam breach:

Duke Energy dam in NC breached, coal ash may have flowed into Cape Fear River

And then I had my own flooding problems today :\

Torrential rains with really nasty lightning and thunder, up to 8" of water on the roads in some areas on Rt 41 (no one could drive in the right lane heading north) then what do I hear on the radio? A tree hit by lightning near where we live and fell right across the road. Thankfully it did not affect my drive home.

Finally checking in after Hurricane Florence. It has been really stressful but all my family is safe. My neighborhood was on video last night on NBC nightly news. It was the one where water was up to the roof. Lost power Friday morning around 6 am. Had generator, food and was on one of the highest areas of the subdivision. Not a flood zone. My neighbor who had left to stay in Charlotte texted me early Sunday that the National Guard was going door to door mandatory evacuation. I was given two minutes to pack, grab my dog and climb into the back of a high military type vehicle. A dam had broken miles away and water had completely surrounded my area, cutting off any way out but by boat. Truck took us to a shallow area I waded through to get into a boat and was taken to another center. From there my friend got his son in law to pick us up. They have graciously let us sleep on a mattress in their living room.
Problem now is no gas for generator. Mile long lines only for the gas to run out. Allowed to buy only $10 of gas at the time. People are shooting at each other over gas. A man was shot yesterday over $10 of gas.
Looters are breaking in and cleaning out stores.
Have no idea how long it will be before I will be able to return to my home.
But, my children and grandchildren are safe. That's the most important. A neighbor let us siphon gas from his old truck in exchange for a meal.
People are helping each other.

So glad you're safe Lonetraveler, from what I am hearing on the news, it sound like both the Carolinas are completely underwater. (

Hi all. I think of y’all every day and wonder how you’re doing. Florence is taking her toll here too. We got almost 13” of rain yesterday. It set an all time record in Oklahoma for the most rain in 24 hours. They had to close Turner Falls. 1st time ever. My favorite place. I went to Girl Scout camp there in Davis for four years. Many memories.
Here it is now:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the behaviour of this storm is unprecedented. If it is, there should be a full blown inquest into what could have been done differently and better in case a similar scenario happens again in future.

With Harvey it was a long time for those communities south of Houston to get food and gas restocked. There were people posting a day after Harvey that they were out of diapers. There were free hurricane seminars with give aways during hurricane season - even an expo at the fairgrounds.
It’s stressed to everyone to be prepared for weeks not just days. And that’s exactly what happened.

it appears there is lots of support for her, And there are more updates as to what specifically she gave the animals and how it happened. Such a shame, as I think her intentions were honorable from what I have read so far in updated media reports.

Florence aftermath: Good Samaritan who sheltered animals during storm

“The goal was to make sure they were not out there drowning,” Hedges told WNCN. “We had an elderly couple, they were evacuating that afternoon, and there was no way they could take 18 animals with them

Woman Who Took In Pets During Florence Faces Charges For Allegedly Giving Them Medicine

North Carolina woman arrested after sheltering 27 dogs, cats abandoned during Florence

it appears there is lots of support for her, And there are more updates as to what specifically she gave the animals and how it happened. Such a shame, as I think her intentions were honorable from what I have read so far in updated media reports.

Florence aftermath: Good Samaritan who sheltered animals during storm

“The goal was to make sure they were not out there drowning,” Hedges told WNCN. “We had an elderly couple, they were evacuating that afternoon, and there was no way they could take 18 animals with them

Woman Who Took In Pets During Florence Faces Charges For Allegedly Giving Them Medicine

North Carolina woman arrested after sheltering 27 dogs, cats abandoned during Florence

I have no doubt her intentions were honorable. Horrible situation when people can't take their pets for whatever reason. moo

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the behaviour of this storm is unprecedented. If it is, there should be a full blown inquest into what could have been done differently and better in case a similar scenario happens again in future.

I think it's what they refer to as a "100 year storm". The behavior of the storm was normal, TPTB advised residents along flood zones to mandatory evacuate. People didn't listen and thought ... "oh, a cat 1, or cat 2 storm won't knock my house down. I've lived here many years, been through many hurricanes, I'm staying - or I live 45 minutes from the coast." That's not the only issue in hurricanes - storm surge is the biggest problem that people need to be aware of.

What needs to happen in the future is to either relocate people in these heavy flood zones or make it mandatory that they raise there home 3 feet or more above flood level.

I think it's what they refer to as a "100 year storm". The behavior of the storm was normal,

What I was referring to was the way the storm came to an almost complete standstill for several days after landfall. Usually they run inland and run out of steam within a day or so. For it to be moving at under 10mph for so long, and as slow as 2mph for a while, and the sheer havoc unleashed long after it had ceased to be a hurricane at all, was all very unusual.

But yes, I agree that local people massively underestimated it.

As we said a while ago, the Euro models tend to be more accurate on the track and the US models tend to be more accurate on intensity. How accurate were the US models this time on the storm's intensity? Did the forecasters get it right but folks ignored their warnings, or did they just get it wrong?

Anyone heard from Henry? He could be in the thick of it this time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back