GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought early Sept, then mid Sept, now 24 Sept.:(:(
As we've waited so long, I guess we're almost there.
Hope we'll be celebrating, as having verdicts, that majority don't agree with, is horrid for us all.:(:(

Whatever the verdict, it’ll be interesting to observe how the Judge will apply Canadian law to her decision. Her verdict will be based on outlining prior established legal precedence (x vs y). That method of arriving at a verdict is far more strategic and quite different than a jury trial where a “guilty or not” vote takes place, no explanation of reasoning required.

Have there been any indications that the ruling will definitely be revealed tomorrow? Have any reporters said they would twitter from the courthouse?

Have there been any indications that the ruling will definitely be revealed tomorrow? Have any reporters said they would twitter from the courthouse?

No, nothing I’ve noticed. But the courthouse information including courtroom scheduling is posted in advance so courthouse reporters should know one way or another and hopefully we’ll know more first thing tomorrow morning. For whatever reason, this trial wasn’t highly publicized other than by CBC’s Adam Carter, who was brought in from a neighbouring city’s newsroom iirc.

Hiya. It's scheduled for courtroom 2-5 at 10am.

My question is - how does presenting the verdict work when it's a judge-only trial?

Does the judge provide and read to the court the reasoning for the verdict? Or need she only return the verdict, and publish the written judgement details to canlii?

The courtroom is booked for an hour, only, and is booked out again starting at 11 for other appearances/cases.

This would suggest that the judge doesn't need much time... Is that because she needn't walk through her judgement, and need only provide the verdict? Or does the block of time suggest a not-guilty verdict whose rationale is more concise?

Hiya. It's scheduled for courtroom 2-5 at 10am.

My question is - how does presenting the verdict work when it's a judge-only trial?

Does the judge provide and read to the court the reasoning for the verdict? Or need she only return the verdict, and publish the written judgement details to canlii?

The courtroom is booked for an hour, only, and is booked out again starting at 11 for other appearances/cases.

This would suggest that the judge doesn't need much time... Is that because she needn't walk through her judgement, and need only provide the verdict? Or does the block of time suggest a not-guilty verdict whose rationale is more concise?

Not too long ago the media obtained approval to live stream a judge only verdict in the province where I live because only the judge while speaking was videoed. But that’s obviously not happening with this verdict. However I do think the judge reads her written summation into court record so I’m hopeful the document is also released to the media so we can all read it too. Trial by tweeting I think is far too condensed to really present a true picture although at this time it’s the best we’ve got for “live” broadcasting.

It's been a long time coming. Regardless what the verdict is, this will bring closure to a string of murders that saw 3 innocent victims ruthlessly murdered by the hands of DM. Enjoy your life behind bars DM & MS. RIP Tim, Laura and Wayne.

From the CBC link.

"Not a single witness came before this court and suggested there was any discord between Mr. Millard and his father," said his lawyer, Ravin Pillay. "There is nothing in the record before you that supports this one way or another."

In isolation that would be a valid defense argument, but after knowing he killed Tim (a total stranger) so he could save on fuel for his trip to Mexico, the above is nonsense IMO.

Bingo. This is a weak defense considering there was no "discord" between DM and Tim. Both WM and TB just had what DM wanted and he took it.

Millard was just led into the courtroom. He's dressed in a grey blazer, white shirt and jeans. He is clear shaven, with his now usual side braid. Court is now underway.

Hank and Mary Bosma, Tim Bosma's parents, are also here in the courtroom. Mary is sharing a hug with Crown Jill Cameron.

The judge says she has her decision, but it will take her about an hour and a half to read them into the record. She says there is no summary in her decision, so it will likely take some time to get to the actual judgement.

Judge to deliver decision in Wayne Millard murder trial | CBC News

====
I seem to have lost the ability to insert quotes, but this is from the CBC link above. It looks like it will take 1 1/2 hours before we get to the verdict.

(From Adam Carter, CBC)

Justice Forestell says the evidence against Millard in this case is circumstantial -- looking at the "reasonable inference" of whether or not Wayne Millard died by suicide.

"The bottom line is probable or likely guilt is insufficient," Forestell says, reading from previous case law.

Forestell is now talking about "out of court statements" that the Crown led during the trial. Those included evidence from Marlena Meneses, Mark Smich's former girlfriend, and Millard's statements to police.

As the judge continues, Millard is again looking around the body of the court. It doesn't appear he's recognizing or locking eyes with anyone. The best way I could describe his look is probably pensive.

Forestell says she considered Millard's "post offence" conduct, which included not touching his father's body once it was discovered, and calling his mother instead of 911.

Forestell says a "considerable" body of evidence about Wayne Millard's mental state was presented at the trial. She says the Crown and the defence presented "starkly different inferences" about this evidence.

Forestell is now talking about Wayne Millard making plans with Janet Campbell. He had just started a relationship with her. She testified on day one of the trial.

Judge to deliver decision in Wayne Millard murder trial | CBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members