DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

Hey dixiegirl! Should have read the thread before I posted! :)
I started a thread on him!

WOW! That's a lot of cases solved that you posted dotr!!

What did I start?! Oh my! This new SnapShot is
117x32px-LL-dce1a0e9_fantastic.gif

This is an interesting article. Just wasn't sure "which" thread to post it on since there have been so many with this DNA profiling. So decided to post it here.

How researchers are using DNA to create images of people's faces

A study published last year and co-authored by biologist Craig Venter, CEO of San Diego-based company Human Longevity, showed how the technology works.

The research team took an ethnically diverse sample of more than 1,000 people of different ages and sequenced their genomes.

They also took high-resolution, 3D images of their faces and measured their eye and skin color, age, height and weight.

This information was used to develop an algorithm capable of working out what people would look like on the basis of their genes.

Applying this algorithm to unknown genomes, the team was able to generate images that could be matched to real photos for eight out of ten people.

A lot more in article.

Unsuccessful DNA extractions has been done on Snohomish Jane Doe, but the DNA Doe Project is no longer involved. According to Margaret Press of DDP, another (unnamed) agency is working on her and has possibly done extractions on her hair, so I thought of Parabon Nanolabs.

There's searce information on this case right now. I've checked Parabon Nanolabs' pages, but can't find her there, either. She might not be an official PN case yet, though, or they could be holding back an announcement until they have some results back from the extraction. For all I know, there might even be a whole other agency involved in her case!

Anyway, this is Jane Doe's WS thread:
WA - WA - Snohomish Co., WhtFem 516UFWA, 15-22, hitchhiker, 5'10" tall, Aug'77

Another success for the Parabon NanoLabs! :)

With the help of PN, investigators lead to the identification of Robert Eugene Brashers, serial killer and responsible for a string of rapes in the 80s and 90s.

There's a timeline of Brashers' crimes, way up to the identification in the article posted below, which also kinda serves a history of DNA as a crime solving tool, oddily enough!

Heartland Solved: Serial killer identified

The publicity (and my awareness) about GEDmatch and the contribution to solving crimes, spurred me on to do my DNA testing and upload it to GEDmatch.

I had done some degree of genealogy for my family tree a few years back. But now I had a double reason to do the DNA. The end result is that I figured out who my mother's bio parents were. :) That was nothing to do with crime, but heck, it still inspired me.

(Could not find WS link.)
GA - Lorrie Ann Smith murdered 1997

Twenty-one years after a 28-year-old woman was found dead in her Georgia bedroom, DNA and genetic genealogy have led to a suspect's arrest, authorities said.
Jerry Lee is accused of killing 28-year-old marketing professional and church youth counselor Lorrie Ann Smith in her home in 1997, police said.

How DNA led to arrest in cold case killing of 28-year-old

Did cutting edge DNA analysis point police to Marrisa Shen's killer? | CBC News
Nov 23 2018
"The former lawyer of the man accused of killing 13-year-old Marrisa Shen says investigators used a new form of crime-scene DNA analysis to determine that the girl's killer was likely a man of Middle-Eastern descent.

The analysis is called DNA phenotyping — also known as "Snapshot DNA" — and it's provided leads and arrests in several cold cases in the United States by helping investigators predict the appearance or even ethnicity of a suspect."
"They were able to isolate the DNA found on the young girl's body to be from people from a particular region in the world, that being part of the upper Middle East," said Danny Markovitz, the former lawyer of Ibrahim Ali, the man now charged with the first-degree murder of Shen."

Canada - Marrisa Shen, 13, found murdered, Burnaby, BC, 18 July 2017

Two retired Redondo Beach CA police officers working cold cases found DNA match after 17 years and gathered enough evidence during following six years to try the case which resulted in a conviction for Elliot Laanui. Sentencing is scheduled for Dec 11 this year. Could not find WS thread.

'Ted Emery was fatally shot in a parking lot after shopping for groceries in 1995.'

23 Years After Her Dad’s Murder, Retired Redondo Beach Police Officers Crack The Case

Here's a great article with a bunch of cases listed that have been solved.
Oops - same article that watcher just posted... :rolleyes:

How about 39 years to the day, a suspect was charged thanks to DNA and genetic genealogy!

On Dec. 19, 1979, Michelle Martinko, 18, left a school banquet and drove her family's car to the Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to buy a winter coat, Cedar Rapids police said. The next day, she was found stabbed to death in the mall parking lot.

Exactly 39 years after teen girl was stabbed to death, DNA leads to suspect's arrest

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12
Back