Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

Last missive from the University of Tennessee regarding the medical apparatus on our Jane Doe's leg:

Mr. Brown,
The Regional Forensic Center took possession of the remains earlier this year. We did research the orthopedic appliance when we discovered it back in the ‘80’s, and all it tells is is that it is a four inch plate with 6 screw holes. It is a part number, not a serial number.

Respectfully,
Lee Meadows Jantz, PhD
Associate Director
Forensic Anthropology Center

We already know the years of her surgery. It's in the thread. From memory 2 years before she was found

It was estimated at two years based on bone knitting. The point is, with all the talk of serial numbers, it is now confirmed there were no serial numbers only a model number.

No, review the thread, one of the members spoke with the manufacturer years ago. They have a time line of when they used that model product and we knew there was no serial number. It's all in the beginning few pages

I understand what you are saying but in the world outside of this website there are still mentions of a serial number. I got to speak with the maker of the pin and plate recently at a trade show for Viewsonic Flat Panel Displays. His take was the plate began production probably in 1978. The pins he said were in production long before that. I am sorry if I offend you but any rule in or out I find that is signed by an expert I think is worthy of a post. If you can narrow the use of the pin and plate to two years that would be very helpful. Can you post the documentation for that? I would love to add it to my file.

I understand what you are saying but in the world outside of this website there are still mentions of a serial number. I got to speak with the maker of the pin and plate recently at a trade show for Viewsonic Flat Panel Displays. His take was the plate began production probably in 1978. The pins he said were in production long before that. I am sorry if I offend you but any rule in or out I find that is signed by an expert I think is worthy of a post. If you can narrow the use of the pin and plate to two years that would be very helpful. Can you post the documentation for that? I would love to add it to my file.

Your not offending me. I don't want you wasting your time doing things that are already done. I'll try to find it when I get on my computer, when I had posts sorted 100 per page it was on page 2 of the thread so it's probably page 5-6-7 now

Technically, Shotgun JD’s eye color unknown. Sorry to barge in a little late!

To know as much about this Jane Doe as we do and not identify her is probably what attracts me. I am interested, what are your theories regarding this Jane Doe? Not who she is but how she got here and why it appears she is not reported missing from anywhere.

The medical attention and the fact nobody seems to be missing her leads me to;

Was she was in an orphanage after some sort of accident? This could explain the medical attention she got. In the 80's kids could age out of an orphanage, be given a set of clothes and $50 and told good luck. Most orphanages (called Children's Homes in the 80's) were not this way but some were. Is she not reported missing because she had nobody to miss her?

Did she run away and was considered murdered? Is some police department holding on to a cold case murder looking for a body? There was recently a man freed from prison for killing his wife when she turned up years later alive and in hiding.

What are your theories?

I think Jane Doe is probably NOT from the area she was from. She may have been from Florida because of her “Miami Dolphins” sports jersey.

That is very likely I think. I don't buy that they gave her a shirt. Why do we take their word for anything? Spent a day with her and never got a name? Forgive me but I discount anything those two said. I also don't get where everyone is saying they picked her up at the rest stop. The elderly Percy said he picked up the two men and a woman. I tend to believe Percy since the two were driving his car. If what Percy said was true, we must consider they were with her longer than we thought. Percy was found the next day minus his car at the rest stop. I have the police report where Percy made this statement and that he was found wandering at the rest stop.

That is very likely I think. I don't buy that they gave her a shirt. Why do we take their word for anything? Spent a day with her and never got a name? Forgive me but I discount anything those two said. I also don't get where everyone is saying they picked her up at the rest stop. The elderly Percy said he picked up the two men and a woman. I tend to believe Percy since the two were driving his car. If what Percy said was true, we must consider they were with her longer than we thought. Percy was found the next day minus his car at the rest stop. I have the police report where Percy made this statement and that he was found wandering at the rest stop.
Can you post the police report?

I think Jane Doe is probably NOT from the area she was from. She may have been from Florida because of her “Miami Dolphins” sports jersey.

1987 was during the Dan Marino era. Lots of people outside Florida had Dolphins gear.

To know as much about this Jane Doe as we do and not identify her is probably what attracts me. I am interested, what are your theories regarding this Jane Doe? Not who she is but how she got here and why it appears she is not reported missing from anywhere.

The medical attention and the fact nobody seems to be missing her leads me to;

Was she was in an orphanage after some sort of accident? This could explain the medical attention she got. In the 80's kids could age out of an orphanage, be given a set of clothes and $50 and told good luck. Most orphanages (called Children's Homes in the 80's) were not this way but some were. Is she not reported missing because she had nobody to miss her?

Did she run away and was considered murdered? Is some police department holding on to a cold case murder looking for a body? There was recently a man freed from prison for killing his wife when she turned up years later alive and in hiding.

What are your theories?

I follow her because I could have been her. There were many of us kids where parents didn't care. I think she had a baby without being married, she either kept it with her parents taking custody or was made to put it for adoption. I think she then left to get away; meeting up with the wrong people. She probably had a purse with at least a tooth brush and deodorant at some point. Maybe a trucker took off with it, maybe the guys took it.

I think she was partying with them and the one guy got fresh so she went to get help at the house and got shot.

She can be from anywhere.

I've always questioned the shirt but they said they gave it to her, LE supposedly has her original tank top.

There is a list of questions we asked Cali's LE such as personal hygiene. Were her arm pits and legs shaved? How dirty was she? Did she appear to be on the road long? I've seen her sneakers, they're pretty shot. Can't recall what else we asked, it's on her FB page with answers, I'd have to get it for more to ask LE

The two men said she mentioned a Tina from Illinois or Indiana. Recently another Jane Doe (Also at University of Tennessee) was identified. This Jane Doe was found in Campbell County (just north of Knoxville). She was identified as Tina Marie Farmer from Indiana. Her body was found in 1985 about 20 miles from where Shotgun Jane Doe would be found almost two years later. Nothing sticky yet but one of those things you hang on the wall and wonder about.

Just found a note from a source around at the time. While he is elderly he remembers one of the two men said the Doe mentioned he thought her name had been Mary. Now this is a memory, of an event years ago. It is also possible the man at the time was not telling the truth. It is also possible that she gave a false name. Off to refine searches for a missing woman named Mary.

I was on Charley Project looking at the new case files that were added recently. I found this girl from my area- Sally White missing since January 1987 from Pittsburgh PA Sally J. White – The Charley Project
When I saw her picture I automatically thought of Shotgun Jane Doe. Sally isn't on Shot gun's rule out list. Here is a side by side. What do you think?

Attachments

• white_sally.jpg
    white_sally.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 22
  • 607UFTN.jpg
    607UFTN.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 11

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors