Found Deceased HI - Stephen Kramar, 27, Hiker on Honeymoon, Molokai, 17 Sept 2018

Molokai likes it lonely

This LA Times article does a good job explaining why some locals want to limit tourism on Molokai. One of the two hotels, on the island, the Lodge at Molokai Ranch, has closed, since the article was written in 2007. Tourists stay, at the Hotel Molokai, or in condos, like the Wavecrest, where the Kramars stayed for their honeymoon.

Tourist activities, including hiking, are mentioned in this article.

From the article: Snorkeling is fine -- in certain places. Kayaking is good, but "we don't want a flotilla of 25 kayaks." Hiking? Sure, but not "roaming all over the hills" without guides, possibly disturbing sacred sites.

Last edited:
Showdown on Molokai

This Condé Nast article has some interesting background info on Molokai.
Molokai properties, which owns 40 percent of the island, closed the Molokai Ranch and Lodge, after the locals were successful in preventing them from creating a 200 home development.

The article also mentions software developer John McAfee’s experience trying to sell 510 acres of his Molokai land on eBay.

From the article: While Molokai remains a largely undeveloped isle, on beachfront homesites in west Molokai there's no shortage of backhoes, clearing the way for multi-acre estates complete with gates, cameras, security stations, and, in the case of software developer John McAfee, an Asian--inspired $6.3 million manse with an entrance pagoda and a pair of 15-foot Chinese metal horse sculptures. Last year, Maui's riot police were brought to the island to quell locals when they learned that McAfee was attempting to sell 510 acres of Molokai land on eBay.

Last edited:
My second home is on Maui. Hence the name, Maui g’ma (Maui grandma). Only been on Molokai once. I can’t even imagine being lost in the mountains anywhere. The locals are wonderful people. I know they’ll keep looking for him. It doesn’t happen every day that this happens. Which is why I think more people are willing to help. Let today be the day he’s found safe! Prayers for his new bride. I can’t even imagine her pain
That’s good to know. Locals are probably the best ones to be searching. I did some hiking on Maui myself once with a tour group and the experience with guides was the best. Never on Molokai though. It does seem more remote.
OT My grandkids call me G’Ma too.

There were some comments, on a Hawaii News Now FB post, by Chelsea Davis reports, that mention that there are a lot of pakalolo patches and boobie traps up in the area where he was hiking.

Hawaiian Grow Tips #1 | Mold Resistant Strains

This article has info on Hawaiin pakalolo patches.

From the article: Finding the right spot is key – you want somewhere unfrequented by people, don’t be the guy who grows a patch right off the side of the highway. Also, while walking out to your patch, try to avoid trekking out there in a straight line – this will make it harder to locate for others. One path in, another path out.
It's why I quit hiking anyplace not a major foot traffic area in the mountains out west where I was raised. Too many booby traps on illegal pot farms and people that will kill you to protect their crop. It's A Jungle Out There: Booby Trapped Marijuana Plots - Lee Lofland

Once upon a time, I hiked the Na Pali coast on Kauai. My partner and I had hiked in Arizona desert in the summer, Colorado peaks, and ice fields in Alaska. By far, the hiking in Hawaii on the Big Island and Kauai were more arduous because the terrain is tough, trails can be razor thinand washed out, stream crossings could be swift and slippery, and hiking on lava base can be treacherous. Proper footwear was a must. We carried gallons of water per day. We carried a large knife for bushwhacking and for defense from the wild boar. I haven't been to Molokai but with fewer tourists I would think that travel alone would be very dangerous. Let alone the pot growing in those hills with people wanting to guard the crops and discouraging interlopers with all kinds of traps.

I am so sad for him and his wife. I hope he did not suffer.

After days of searching, missing man's body found on Molokai

What makes this even sadder is that he almost made it back to his wife!
He was found by a volunteer only half a mile from the Wavecrest Resort.

On Friday, Sept. 21, at around 9:16 a.m., a volunteer assisting with the search efforts found a lifeless body on the hillside in an area called Pia Gulch, about a half-mile northeast of the Wavecrest Resort.

I'm so very sorry for his family and bride. Although the outcome was not the one everybody was praying for, I hope his wife realizes she did everything she could.

I really admire how active and vocal she was in getting his story out and asking for assistance from officials and locals. She also said she would not leave the island without him. If only all missing persons had someone so devoted.

Maui Now: Body of Missing Man Found in Moloka‘i Gulch
Maui police say the body was positively identified by family members as 27-year-old Stephen Kramar. An autopsy will be scheduled to determine the official cause of death.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry for his family and bride. Although the outcome was not the one everybody was praying for, I hope his wife realizes she did everything she could.

I really admire how active and vocal she was in getting his story out and asking for assistance from officials and locals. She also said she would not leave the island without him. If only all missing persons had someone so devoted.

Maui Now: Body of Missing Man Found in Moloka‘i Gulch
Maui police say the body was positively identified by family members as 27-year-old Stephen Kramar. An autopsy will be scheduled to determine the official cause of death.
The area in which he was found, though called a "gulch" isn't really steep terrain. If he had injuries consistent with a fall, they'd not be doing an autopsy to determine the cause of death. I'm guessing that after climbing in 95-100+ F. heat indexes for hours with one bottled water he succumbed to heat exhaustion/stroke. So sad for his family.

The area in which he was found, though called a "gulch" isn't really steep terrain. If he had injuries consistent with a fall, they'd not be doing an autopsy to determine the cause of death. I'm guessing that after climbing in 95-100+ F. heat indexes for hours with one bottled water he succumbed to heat exhaustion/stroke. So sad for his family.
Since he died alone and it's not known what happened, there will be tox tests as well to determine if he was under the influence of anything. I am NOT speculating that he was under the influence, but ME will need to confirm that. jmo

Oh no. How awful. Thoughts and prayers with his bride and family.

So, maybe this is my cynical reaction, we only had her narrative regarding when he left, that he was alone. Now, he is dead. I guess the autopsy will show he hit his head on a rock. So many other marriages end this way, hiking, fall, head on "rock", dead.
I must say this crossed my mind, too.

(Congrats on your 500th post, btw!)

So, maybe this is my cynical reaction, we only had her narrative regarding when he left, that he was alone. Now, he is dead. I guess the autopsy will show he hit his head on a rock. So many other marriages end this way, hiking, fall, head on "rock", dead.
They'd only been married a week and every photo showed a young couple blissfully in love. If there was obvious head trauma I sincerely doubt they'd be doing a full autopsy to determine the cause of death. Autopsies are not something most family members want done to their loved one's bodies if there is an injury that is obvious as being potentially lethal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back