Asia Argento, a MeToo Leader, Made a Deal With Her Own Accuser

I'm going to guess you were in a sexual relationship with a peer, not an adult? Consent laws are to protect the vulnerable from being taken advantage by those of age. Most states have laws that allow for the person to be 2-3 years older than the minor, because they are essentially a peer. Coercion, assault, and enjoyment are murky waters to wade it. It's why sexual abuse is so traumatic. It's possiblt to enjoy what is being done, and also be assaulted. I can't tell you how many child and minor abuse victims I forensically interviewed, that liked how something felt. Feelings don't matter. Laws are laws. It can still do tons of damage down the line, because minors are less likely to understand consent. They are more likely to understand further on, that what they participated in was not OK and not something they really wanted to do.

He was 21. Almost 22.

I am not trying to say, "Oh, let's just get over it." Not by any stretch of the imagination, so please don't take it that way.

I just think it's kind of a double standard that people will say "He couldn't consent" to sex, when he was 17... but a kid, at 15, who murders someone, should be tried as an adult because he "knew what he was doing." KWIM?

You bring up a great point @leyash! I don't think it's wrong to try to address these things, we should discuss them!

For me personally, his age definitely plays a part in this, but also the fact he's claiming this happened so that he could get a role in her movie, so he felt pressure in that capacity also. So you are 17-years-old and your family wants you to get this job, and you have this much older, powerful and wealthy woman saying you can have this role if you do this, this, and this.....that does not sit right with me at all. Like turn it around and imagine the man was in the powerful wealthy role and the girl was 17......people complain about that all the time. And I DO think it's wrong. But it's the combination of everything together, for me.

Thanks for understanding that I am just trying to have a discussion, definitely not point blame in any single direction or make someone seem "better" than someone else in any/all of these situations.

Anyway... I didn't read that. I admitted I haven't read the whole thread, so I've not seen that yet. I definitely think that would sway me more towards him being a victim as well. To feel that he HAS to do it in order to get something, almost as if there's bribery on her part to get what she wants, sex with him. So yeah, I could see that.

He was 21. Almost 22.

I am not trying to say, "Oh, let's just get over it." Not by any stretch of the imagination, so please don't take it that way.

I just think it's kind of a double standard that people will say "He couldn't consent" to sex, when he was 17... but a kid, at 15, who murders someone, should be tried as an adult because he "knew what he was doing." KWIM?

It actually has to proved in a court of law, that he was acting in that capacity while committing murder. There are dozens of mitigating factors presented when a minor commits murder. They are not automatically tried as an adult, and often aren't. And they are sentencing different than an adult over 18. It's not a double standard. A person who commits a crime is judged. A person who is a victim is not. A victim is not judged for their age being "almost" the age of consent. A perpetrator is judged for breaking the law. A double standard would be if a woman doesn't get charged for assault of a 17 year old, but a man does.

The laws protect the most vulnerable. Just because you felt in control of your choices, doesn't mean every minor is.

He was 21. Almost 22.

I also think there is a difference when the age is "only" 5 or 6 years (this is of course debatable amongst people here) versus a 37-year-old adult going after a minor teenager.

I also think there is a difference when the age is "only" 5 or 6 years (this is of course debatable amongst people here) versus a 37-year-old adult going after a minor teenager.

Which brings up another question...

Some states, the age of consent is 16.
Other states, the age of consent is 18.

Are these 16 year olds in these states just smarter than the 18 year olds in other states?

Not understanding the discrepancy and why 16 year olds in some states are "okay" and in other states, they must be 18...

Are these 16 year olds in these states just smarter than the 18 year olds in other states?

Not understanding the discrepancy and why 16 year olds in some states are "okay" and in other states, they must be 18...

I agree with you on this. It's maddening. There absolutely should be a federal consent age, it shouldn't be state by state.

I also agree on this! Just like it blows my mind how some states you are allowed to marry as young as 14, but other states you have to be 18 no matter what and they consider anything less as Child Marriage. We need a consensus! Stuff like this should not be state law, it should be federal law!

I didn't mean to discredit Jimmy at all with all of this. I didn't even know Asia until A.Bourdain passed away, she was a nobody. I just think there are far too many variables when it comes to things like this - and if things are going to change in our lifetime, laws need to be across the board.

I didn't mean to discredit Jimmy at all with all of this. I didn't even know Asia until A.Bourdain passed away, she was a nobody. I just think there are far too many variables when it comes to things like this - and if things are going to change in our lifetime, laws need to be across the board.

I don't think you were trying to do that, at all! I agree that there needs to be a consensus on these laws.

In some states, marijuana is legal. In some states it is not. States don't have all exact same laws. Therefore, you should follow the laws of whatever state you are in.

What is he even doing on Italian TV?

Laws may be different everywhere, but where there is culpability on Asia's part is that she knew Jimmy since he was a little boy. She's twice his age. She had all this power over him. She took advantage of him. It's boundary-less, morally wrong on so many levels.

I think that movie that he acted in at seven years old is enough to do anyone in. I'm shocked his parents consented to that horribly sexually violent part for a little boy.

The TV host seems clueless. It is not about forcible rape. JB was 17, the sex alleged to have happened in California, where it is not legal for an adult to have sex with a 17 year old. It wouldn't be just morally wrong, it would be illegal even if JB was not forced into anything. He is assumed unable to give consent due to his age. The movie in which he was acting as a child sounds pretty disturbing to me as well. As for being traumatized, it's hard to evaluate if someone is traumatized, but she played his mother when he was a little boy, which adds a level of creepiness for me.

Here are the Ca laws. Because of his age JB was presumed unable to give consent at the time. So even if he participated willingly it would still be illegal due to his age.

"Statutory rape laws are premised on the assumption that minors are incapable of giving informed consent to sexual activities. Their incapacity is written into the statute—hence the term, “statutory” rape. The age of consent can vary among states, and some states differentiate between consensual sex between minors who are close in age (for example, two teenagers of the same age), as opposed to sex between a minor and a much older adult."
California Statutory Rape Laws

The Italian host is simply spewing typical ignorant tripe: "doop-de-doo, guys can't be raped because tee-hee it was a girl and all guys want it all the time tee-hee hoo-de-doo." How effing insulting. And who is this guy to tell someone if they are or are not traumatized. There's no such thing as psychics, so get out of this ballpark.

Asia Argento denies telling Ronan Farrow she had consensual sex with Harvey Weinstein for five years after her alleged rape and claims his Pulitzer-winning story 'ruined' her life
  • Asia Argento denied ever telling Ronan Farrow that she had a consensual sexual relationship with Harvey Weinstein after the mogul allegedly raped her
  • ' I never went to dinner, slept with him or lived with him, and I never worked with him again after the rape,' Argento said on Non è l'arena
  • Farrow did say the two dined together but not that they lived together, and Argento did in fact work with Weinstein after her alleged assault
  • She went on to state that this journalism ruined her life, and that she did not even want to share her story in the first place
  • Argento's claim comes one year after the article's publication, and she and Farrow remained close for months after his expose on Weinstein broke
  • 'Our reporting was painstakingly checked with Ms. Argento, and we stand by it and by the care and sensitivity with which we told this complex story,' said a spokesperson for The New Yorker
Asia Argento denies telling Ronan Farrow she had sex with Harvey Weinstein for years after rape | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back