DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keith L. Alexander‏Verified account @keithlalexander 16m16 minutes ago
Valuable items left behind at the Savopoulos home after the quadruple murders, including a Rolex watch, jewelry, several rifles, cash in file cabinets and large unopened house safes. Prosecutors say the killer, who was at house overnight, only wanted the $40k.

Even though I find Wint extremely cruel and diabolical I don't think he is that stupid.

He certainly wouldn't take traceable items from the home that had 4 mudered victims inside that could be linked right back to him.

I would think many of their personal possessions would be very unique and not the run of the mill items found in an average home.

I believe that D.W.'s girlfriend's testimony will be very important, on many levels. I consider this information (below) as possibly pertaining to this:

How Courts Work | Public Education

"When a lawyer calls an adverse or hostile witness (a witness whose relationship to the lawyer’s client is such that his testimony is likely to be prejudicial) on direct examination, the lawyer can ask leading questions as on cross-examination."

Melanie Alnwick (@fox5melanie) | Twitter :
"Notes from the morning session in the #MansionMurders trial: the Samurai sword, a kitchen knife, plus guns & cash in the house. "@fox5dc https://www.facebook.com/142176909276985/posts/1004752496352751/ …

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC

10 mins ·
Facebook Creator
·
"Day 7 of testimony in the #MansionMurders trial - the jury saw video of Amy Savopoulos’ Porsche on fire, plus the Defense is starting to attack some of the physical evidence collected from the Woodland Drive crime scene.

There was a brief moment of suspense & awe in the courtroom - as a Washington Metropolitan Police Dept. evidence technician snapped on a pair of blue latex gloves, then popped the red evidence tape on a tall rectangular box.

Ofc Adrian Lancaster slid out a large Samurai sword and held it up for the jury to see. It had a black braided leather wrapped handle, and a long blade that curved nearly 3 feet to the tip. It appeared brownish, almost rusty. Lancaster testified that it was recovered from a 2nd floor bathroom that connects to the bedroom where the body of Philip Savopoulos was found. A photo from the bathroom showed the sword resting on the toilet seat, it’s handle almost inside the bowl.

Earlier in the trial, Detective Mike Pavero testified that he discovered the sword in a pile of debris, and had picked it up with a gloved hand and almost cut himself.

Other items of physical evidence introduced in the case now include pieces of burned clothing, a small plastic alarm sensor cover, a pair of eyeglassses, a rolex watch, a water bottle found in the basement, several electronic key fobs and key rings with metal keys on them, bathroom towels and a white plastic cup.

From the 3rd floor utility closet where the security system computer was set up, police took a Dell monitor, power cords, a keyboard and mouse, plus a box cutter knife, a pen and a handwritten note. No computer tower was there, but 7 blue cables that had been cut were on the floor. Those were catalogued into evidence too.

Remember a red wheeled bag that we spotted in video of the foyer that was shown during opening statements? Ofc. Lancaster said that was processed as well - plus the contents: a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover, and 2 computer memory cards.

More duct tape was found. One small piece was on broken window outside, behind the basketball hoop. Two more strips were in a T shape across a small doggie door that led from the kitchen to the basement.

Ofc. Lancaster testified that he recovered latent fingerprints from an HVAC system door in the upper utility closet, from a column on the home’s staircase, as well as from the red Mosler in the garage. He does not analyze the prints.

Lancaster also swabbed several items for DNA evidence. In a bit of a twist, he said he was aware that some of his own DNA was on the swabs. This helps play into the defense’s tactic to try to show that there may have been cross-contamination of evidence.

Lancaster said that it is standard practice to wear gloves, and sometimes a mask or Tyvek suit during evidence collection. He said the Woodland Drive house was hot, and starting to grow mold in the 10 days technicians were processing the scene.

The Savopoulous family had several guns, we learned. Four handguns were stashed In a file cabinet in the second floor office, along with ammunition and $13,000 cash. In addition, police recovered unloaded “long guns and rifles” from the basement.

One knife, in particular, was the subject of much debate. It’s a black handled kitchen knife with 3 silver rivets. Jurors were shown a photograph of the knife propping open a basement bathroom window. The prosecution and defense went back and forth over what date the knife was photographed, collected and catalogued. Firefighters testified earlier they would not prop open windows, yet the defense showed photographs of 2 other windows: one propped open with a red frisbee, the other with a wooden block.

As for the burning Porsche, jurors heard from a volunteer firefighter with the West Lanham Hills FD. Antwan Washington said he responded to the call for an auto fire on May 14 in the 8000 block of Annapolis Road. Washington said it was in the back parking lot of St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church, and when he arrived there was no one with the car, or any other cars around.

He described it as “fully involved”, and hard to extinguish. In video shown to the jury, the front end and passenger compartment of the Porsche was just a thicket of dark orange and black flames. Daron Wint watched the video too."

Fox 5 DC

Last edited:
Ofc Adrian Lancaster slid out a large Samurai sword and held it up for the jury to see. It had a black braided leather wrapped handle, and a long blade that curved nearly 3 feet to the tip. It appeared brownish, almost rusty. Lancaster testified that it was recovered from a 2nd floor bathroom that connects to the bedroom where the body of Philip Savopoulos was found. A photo from the bathroom showed the sword resting on the toilet seat, it’s handle almost inside the bowl.

Fox 5 DC
Snipped
So the sword was ON the toilet, not IN it. (Not that it really matters, I suppose....just a detail that stuck out at me.)
jmo

I noticed the difference as well.

As the trial continues, I trust more descriptions will become clearer.

The Savopoulous family had several guns, we learned. Four handguns were stashed In a file cabinet in the second floor office, along with ammunition and $13,000 cash. In addition, police recovered unloaded “long guns and rifles” from the basement.
Fox 5 DC

Snipped.

Interesting. Remember awhile ago I mentioned I read there was some evidence we haven't heard about, but I couldn't find MSM confirmation about it? This is the evidence in that rumor.

My guess is that SS didn't try to appease Wint with the $13K in the cabinet because the guns were also there. He wouldn't have wanted Wint to have firearms. I do wonder if he was figuring out he himself could get to them, though. IDK. Speculation on my part.

jmo

Even though I find Wint extremely cruel and diabolical I don't think he is that stupid.

He certainly wouldn't take traceable items from the home that had 4 mudered victims inside that could be linked right back to him.

I would think many of their personal possessions would be very unique and not the run of the mill items found in an average home.
@oceanblueeyes what is your opinion on the Australian embassy employees seeing someone who fits DWs description entering the house at noon? You are both knowledgeable and insightful. Have you ever heard of a suspect leaving his hostages alone?

** New: Testimony from tow-truck driver **

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 33m33 minutes ago
Also significant- tow truck driver testifies the man used his phone to make 10 calls, no answers. Then man sent a text from his phone that reads, “Is Faron call me now. Need to talk.” Could be sent by Daron Wint? Driver said he couldn’t ID the man now, 3 yrs later

1. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 38m38 minutes ago
    A tow truck driver testified he was approached by a black man near location of burning Porsche in Lanham, MD and drove him to pick up a blue minivan in Foggy Bottom. Minivan is Daron Wint’s. Defense asked if man was covered in blood or smelled like fire & gas? No.

Last edited:
  1. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 5h5 hours ago
    Both sides have spent a lot of time on a kitchen knife found propping up a basement bathroom window. Firefighters said they wouldn’t prop a window. Defense shows photos DC police took of 2 other windows propped in basement w a frisbee & wood block (neither collected as evidence)

2. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 5h5 hours ago
    Still presenting evidence from the house including a samurai sword found in the bathroom off the bedroom where firefighters found Savvas, Amy Savopoulos & Vera Figueroa. On cross, Judy Pipe questioning how evidence was collected, secured.

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 8h8 hours ago
It is the start of week three in the trial of Daron Wint, charged with killing 3 members of a DC family & their housekeeper in their NW home in May 2015. Prosecution still presenting its case. Follow the trial here & on our blog at @WTOP
The @WTOP Blog:

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

1. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 33m33 minutes ago
    Also significant- tow truck driver testifies the man used his phone to make 10 calls, no answers. Then man sent a text from his phone that reads, “Is Faron call me now. Need to talk.” Could be sent by Daron Wint? Driver said he couldn’t ID the man now, 3 yrs later

2. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 38m38 minutes ago
    A tow truck driver testified he was approached by a black man near location of burning Porsche in Lanham, MD and drove him to pick up a blue minivan in Foggy Bottom. Minivan is Daron Wint’s. Defense asked if man was covered in blood or smelled like fire & gas? No.
Very interesting! I don't recall his information before - it's "new" to us, right?

1. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 33m33 minutes ago

2. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 38m38 minutes ago
Wow!
And F and D are next to each other on the keyboard...hmmmm.
Wonder who Faron was calling??

JMO

Last edited:
If you read the preliminary hearing, the prosecution themselves says they don't deny others were/could be involved, just that doesn't change the guilt or innocence of DW and also LE has previously said others were involved. I view it that way too where at best DW was like a getaway driver for a bank robbery where he didn't know or intent for a bank teller to get killed in cold blood, but would still be guilty of felony murder anyway.

If DW was leaving hostages all by themselves - as testified by the prosecution witness that DW was seen arriving on foot on the 14th - that would have been extremely risky as by the time he got back to the house, the hostages could have escaped or otherwise create an alarming situation. DW couldn't just say there's someone downstairs so don't do anything nor give free access to cell phones while he's away, so if someone showed up at the door, the Savopouloses would have waited for prompt to respond and if they didn't get a prompt from an imaginary co-conspirator they would have remained silent causing the visitor to panic or if they knew they were alone, they'd straight up tell the visitor that they're being held hostage. Whoever was involved was clearly controlling telephone access and wouldn't allow SS or anyone else to freely use their cell phones, if not some of the messages actually sent by whoever controlled the phones. This also potentially puts DW not even being at the house when the money was delivered.

Maybe everyone was dead at that point but Amy. Wasn’t the lawn sprinkler call about 1 pm?

JMO

@oceanblu
eeyes
what is your opinion on the Australian embassy employees seeing someone who fits DWs description entering the house at noon? You are both knowledgeable and insightful. Have you ever heard of a suspect leaving his hostages alone?

Hi there TFNY. Thank you for your kind words but I am the one who needs your help and knowledge about the timeline. Tia

I honestly would need to know the entire testimony before I could make a reasonable guess. I havent been able to follow everything brought out in trial. I do need to read the timeline but I seem to get interrupted often in my daily life.

Is this when he was seen entering the garage? If so I think he went to get the 40k left by JW.

I would think all throughout the 4 victims were restrained with maybe zip ties..duct tape..chain..handcuffs or some strong other type of restraint binding..

Did they see him come back out of the garage and leave? Or is this a different time?

I can only guess of course but I think he knew none of them were in any shape to flee or get help whether he left or not. He knew they weren't going anywhere but where he had them restrained.

What time was he seen leaving in the green vest?
I think when he left wearing the green vest carrying the construction bucket he was disguising himself a an ordinary worker in the area thinking he would blend in. No one would question him carrying a bucket of this type. It would be perfect to stash the 40k in and big enough for a laptop and video surveillance tape.

Sorry that I am asking you so many questions instead of me answering yours. I appreciate any answers you can give me.

I wish I still had as much time as I use to have where I would know every single detail about any case but I no longer have the time to do so anymore.

Jmo

Hmm I wonder what time & where the pick-up & drop-off of DW/Faron occurred! If he didn’t smell of gas, maybe he dropped the car off earlier in the day, got a ride w tow truck driver, then went back later to burn S car? I wish this trial was televised, I want all the info.

Re using the drivers phone - could’ve been so his phone didn’t ping near the car dump site. IIRC he took some steps to evade phone tracking while on the run so he knew about that concern.

** New: Testimony from tow-truck driver **

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 33m33 minutes ago

1. Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 38m38 minutes ago

Hmmm. Interesting. Seems like he was trying to contact someone or several someones..shortly after torching the car.

Whoever it was....was in no hurry to call him back. He may have been the type that wanted someone to always come when he called even if it was inconvenient for them.
He seemed to be panicking if he called 10 times.

I hope when the communication experts testify they show who all he was trying to reach. It will also possibly show the general location at the time of the ones he tried to contact with no success.

Poor Wint he is spotted in the crime scene areas on more than one occasion but yet I am sure the defense will try to pretend he was only in the area because he was eating pizza with the boss of the company who had fired him. Lol

It's obvious no one he knew was in the same area he was in.

Imo he didn't use his own phone because he knew it would show him in the area.

Jmo

Last edited:
Hmm I wonder what time & where the pick-up & drop-off of DW/Faron occurred! If he didn’t smell of gas, maybe he dropped the car off earlier in the day, got a ride w tow truck driver, then went back later to burn S car? I wish this trial was televised, I want all the info.

Re using the drivers phone - could’ve been so his phone didn’t ping near the car dump site. IIRC he took some steps to evade phone tracking while on the run so he knew about that concern.
there may have been one person to ditch the car and another one who set it on fire. This all seemed well-thought out. JMO

If it was all about 40k - what about these items?

“Remember a red-wheeled bag that was spotted in video of the foyer that was shown during opening statements? Lancaster said that was processed as well, plus the contents, including a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two computer memory cards.”
——-Melanie Alnwick, Fox5 DC

Why are the phones of SS, AS, and VF missing?
And why does it now appear that a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two memory cards were headed out the door in a red suitcase....

I doubt if the S family kept suitcases in the foyer.

JMO-MOO

If it was all about 40k - what about these items?

“Remember a red-wheeled bag that was spotted in video of the foyer that was shown during opening statements? Lancaster said that was processed as well, plus the contents, including a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two computer memory cards.”
——-Melanie Alnwick, Fox5 DC

Why are the phones of SS, AS, and VF missing?
And why does it now appear that a computer hard drive, an iPad with a light blue cover and two memory cards were headed out the door in a red suitcase....

I doubt if the S family kept suitcases in the foyer.

JMO-MOO
Maybe it was Philip's school supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members