MI MI - Paul Girard, 34, Marquette, 30 September 1988

JL Cauling

Reaction score
There are not many links available online.

Paul Girard was a 34 year old Gay man living in Marquette, a city in the far north of Michigan's upper peninsula. Marquette is a college town, home to Northern Michigan University.

Girard was last seen at a store around 3a and his body, stabbed more than 40 times, was found at 10:15a by walkers at beautiful Preque Isle Park. Paul was face up, his throat cut near the grave of Chief Kawbawgum, a landmark in the park.

Many suspects were mentioned over the years and it seems that Marquette PD has narrowed it down but they lack the evidence needed to make an arrest.

Paul's glasses and the murder weapon, a folding knife, were found nearby. His wallet was gone. The motive seems to be a hate crime.

Details began to emerge; Girard lived in south Marquette and worked at D&D Rental, close to home. He was originally from Gwinn.
He had been seen at a few local bars and restaurants the evening before, so detectives began to examine the hours just prior to the killing.

Police were looking for someone who knew Girard; the manner of his death was not typical of a murder committed by astranger.

"The number of stab wounds were obviously overkill. Some were post-mortem, which indicates anger," Angeliexplained.

Sarvello said the department requested suspect profiles from the FBI and regional profiling centers, which bore out investigators' conclusions about the killer.

"We don't believe it was a random act of violence," Warchock said. "We believe he knew his assailant and had met his assailant. The length of time of that acquaintance is hard to say, but we don't believe it was a stranger."

Angeli said detectives began toinvestigate Girard's personal life, and - then and now - believe the motive forthe killing was at least in part animosity toward gays.

"I don't think it was any secret that he was gay," Angeli said. "We feel there was some type of relationship to his lifestyle, so in today's world, it's fair to say it could be classified as a hate crime."

It wasn't until the next April that the investigation began to focus on one main suspect, Sarvello said. A Michigan State Police detective heard about the suspect while working on an unrelated case, and tipped the city police.

Although the person suspected of the murder was interviewed at length, no evidence came of it.
Source: 20th anniversary of the Paul Girard killingSeptember 30, 2008 - By KIM HOYUM

I live in this area and can attest that the local sentiment is that everyone "knows" who did it but that suspected person will never be charged.

Angel I heard that the "man" who supposedly did this moved to Hawaii.

i am also from the area, wondering if dna is available to be tested? seems like there should be, also have heard that the person who did this ( I know the name but not sure if i am allowed to post it or not)??? came home covered in blood and his wife told police when they were fighting, but later rescinded her statement after they made up..

There are not many links available online.

Paul Girard was a 34 year old Gay man living in Marquette, a city in the far north of Michigan's upper peninsula. Marquette is a college town, home to Northern Michigan University.

Girard was last seen at a store around 3a and his body, stabbed more than 40 times, was found at 10:15a by walkers at beautiful Preque Isle Park. Paul was face up, his throat cut near the grave of Chief Kawbawgum, a landmark in the park.

Many suspects were mentioned over the years and it seems that Marquette PD has narrowed it down but they lack the evidence needed to make an arrest.

Paul's glasses and the murder weapon, a folding knife, were found nearby. His wallet was gone. The motive seems to be a hate crime.

Source: 20th anniversary of the Paul Girard killingSeptember 30, 2008 - By KIM HOYUM

New leads give hope for closure in Paul Girard homicide | WJMN - UPMatters.com

This is the most recent update published locally......

"
“I know the players involved, I know the ins and outs. The follow up investigation I have done has led me to believe that I’m looking at a solid suspect.” Detective Heslip continued, “I think I have a pretty good idea where he was and what he was doing, but I haven’t validated that, yet.”

Heslip encourages anyone who may have even the smallest inclination about what happened back in 1988, to let him know.

“No matter what you think, if it’s just a minor thing it might be a big thing to me. One little piece can lead to another piece and another piece and another piece. It’s that snowball effect.” Heslip added, “Don’t be afraid to come forth and talk to me about something that you don’t think is relevant. Because I can take a look at that with the knowledge that I have and it might mean something.”

links to two other articles and a copy of the sketch...

Marquette police release sketch of person of interest in 1988 murder

Police release sketch of person of interest in Marquette murder | News, Sports, Jobs - The Daily news

I also know I read in a Missouri or Mississippi paper that DNA was taken from a suspect in the case......but the link has since been removed. I will keep looking....

I remember this. I was living in Marquette attending NMU and expecting my first child. Our apartment was downtown and we frequented Presque Isle often. It frightened me! There was an update on the case in January 2020.
Read more on Marquette police release sketch of person of interest in 1988 murder at Marquette police release sketch of person of interest in 1988 murder

oops...so sorry i didn't mean to step on your post! I didn't see your post until after I posted mine....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back