TX - Police shoot unarmed Lyndo Jones twice, Mesquite, Nov 2017 *Retried from Mistrial*

HoneyWest

Reaction score
Charge dropped against man shot by Mesquite officer

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/conflicting-stories-in-mesquite-officer-involved-shooting/491717808

Man Shot by Mesquite Police in His Own Pickup Released From Hospital

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dfw-man-out-of-the-hospital-after-being-shot-by-mesquite-police-10073868

An Arlington man shot by a Mesquite cop last week is finally out of the hospital, but questions remain about the shooting. Lyndo Jones told reporters Tuesday night after his release from Baylor Medical Center in Dallas that he was happy to be going home to see his kids and still didn't know why Mesquite police officer Derick Wiley shot him three times as he struggled with his pickup truck's alarm in a parking lot.

Man shot by Mesquite police officer says his hands were up

Lyndo Jones spent nearly a week in the hospital handcuffed to the bed. He went home Tuesday night after the charge against him was dropped. He spoke publicly for the first time about what led up to the incident.

“I looked at the ground. He said, ‘what?’ He had this look on his face with his gun in his hand looking at me,” Jones claimed. “And he shot me. ‘Boom!’ He shot me. He spit after. He said, ‘what?’ He shot me. ‘Boom.’ Then, he spit.”

Jones say when he regained consciousness, three officers were on top of him.

Mesquite police say Jones was exhibiting superhuman strength and took three officers to subdue him. Jones said it's impossible because he only weighs 130 pounds.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/man-shot-by-mesquite-police-officer-says-his-hands-were-up

More from the same article: The officer who shot Jones has been identified as Derek Wiley. His attorney says Wiley gave a statement for the first time to the Mesquite Police Department Wednesday afternoon. The attorney says the video of the incident tells a much different story than Jones. She says she will let the facts speak for themselves.

Can't wait to see this video.

Man Suspected Of Breaking Into Pickup, Then Shot By Officer, Owns Pickup

Lyndo Jones was still charged with one count of evading arrest, said Lt. Brian Parrish with the Mesquite Police Department, but those charges were dropped Tuesday evening. The lawyer for Jones stated that the Dallas County District Attorney’s office rejected the charge.

JMO but if they don't have enough to charge him with they had no reason to try to kill him.

However, officials said that Jones continued to fight with officers even after he was wounded and placed into handcuffs. Police said that he demonstrated such physical strength that it took three officers just to hold him down until paramedics could arrive at the scene to assess his injuries.

Two investigations in progress

In a live stream on Facebook from Baylor Hospital just hours before the press conference, attorney Lee Merritt said Jones was taken to the hospital in critical condition and held in the ICU for six days. Jones was said to have been held in handcuffs and his family denied access to him.

Merritt said he was contacted by Jones’ family a few days after they discovered he had been shot. Merritt then contact criminal attorney Justin Moore for assistance.

“When Mr. Moore went to visit him he was being unlawfully interrogated by the Mesquite PD under the authority of the Dallas Sheriff’s Department and Mr. Moore had to be forcibly removed from the hospital,” Merritt said.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dfw-man-out-of-the-hospital-after-being-shot-by-mesquite-police-10073868

A press release from Merritt paints a different picture. Merritt said Jones was in his truck, unable to turn off his alarm after a minor traffic accident, and Wiley told him to get out of his truck. When Jones did and tried to explain what was going on, Wiley shot him in the stomach, Merritt said.

Several officers then "attacked Mr. Jones and tried to perform an anal cavity search," Merritt said. When Jones reacted to the "unlawful sodomy" by trying to get away, police shot Jones again, this time in the back, he said in his release.

This guy was almost killed; he's lucky to be alive to tell his story. Can you imagine a cop shooting you in the stomach, then trying to perform an anal cavity search? And then when you react to that, shoot you in the back? What a disgrace this mess is.

This guy was almost killed; he's lucky to be alive to tell his story. Can you imagine a cop shooting you in the stomach, then trying to perform an anal cavity search? And then when you react to that, shoot you in the back? What a disgrace this mess is.

And all because you were sitting in your own truck.

Imagine the story we'd be getting if he weren't alive to defend himself.

Be my guest.

Your free to believe whatever story you want. I don't understand why posters have to take a position before all the facts are known. It's discouraging to me to come to a thread to discuss a case only to see people have already made up their minds. I guess I'm naive in believing posters want to get at the truth rather than promoting their opinions. This is not aimed @ you Honey & I usually find your opinions thoughtful when you express them.

Your free to believe whatever story you want. I don't understand why posters have to take a position before all the facts are known. It's discouraging to me to come to a thread to discuss a case only to see people have already made up their minds. I guess I'm naive in believing posters want to get at the truth rather than promoting their opinions. This is not aimed @ you Honey & I usually find your opinions thoughtful when you express them.

Opinions and insights are interesting,

Odd, this was supposed to be a big day in this trial and I've not found or heard anything. Anyone else???

Call me off beat and not with the times but, even if they had a murder charge to serve on him, that still isn't a reason to senselessly shoot him, especially with him being unarmed.

JMO but if they don't have enough to charge him with they had no reason to try to kill him.

Jury Now Deliberating In Derick Wiley Trial After Closing Statements

Jury is now deliberating and I really wanted to see his examination from yesterday.

It is very peculiar no reports from yesterday seem to exist of prosecution cross examining Wiley. I would think they would have shredded him for his testimony and statements that directly conflicted with his body cam. Statements made Monday after he testified implied prosecution took notice of his tears and emotion that were absolutely absent during his deposition.

In my opinion, his testimony and acting were hopefully insulting to the jurors. By all accounts this officer is out of control and his performance shown during the 1 minute 15 second body cam video should have decent people asking, WTH???

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back