NY NY - Mitchel Weiser, 16, & Bonita Bickwit, 15, Narrowsburg, 27 July 1973

There is the possibility of some truth to the witness's claim, if the couple were returning to Narrowsburg from Watkins Glen. The most likely route to travel would be Route 97, a very scenic road which parallels the Delaware River. The area is extremely popular for rafting and canoeing. The Upper Delaware has class 2, 3 and occasionally 4 rapids. However, in July, the water level would be down somewhat...And its difficult to believe that neither of the bodies would be recovered since the area has been so popular for many, many years. Dozens of rafts filled with people are a common site during the summer.

Why couldn’t it have been Rt 17 that they took? That’s the only way we’ve ever gone in that direction. There’s a stream pretty close to most of 17; I wonder if these rivers were high and fast moving from heavy rains at that time

Why couldn’t it have been Rt 17 that they took? That’s the only way we’ve ever gone in that direction. There’s a stream pretty close to most of 17; I wonder if these rivers were high and fast moving from heavy rains at that time

They probably did take 17. 97 links up with 17 about 30 miles north of Narrowsburg.
I wonder if they decided to follow the stream near Long Eddy instead of staying on 97. As a short cut to 17. If so they could have got lost in the woods.

CA - CA - Oxnard, WhtMale UP9187, 18-30, carnival worker, aka 'Brad Bodie', Apr'74

Was this guy ever checked out or ruled out to be Mitch.. he sort of looks like him and has a tattoo of a face of a girl that looks like Bonita.. and had a tattoo of RITA on his wrist.. does anyone know if she was ever called Rita or if he called her Rita?

I converted the color photos to b/w and tried to work the photo of the UID a bit more.. Just thought I would add..

Mitch and the UID's glasses seem similar and both wear them low on the nose. Also his hair has the same part and wavy in the front.. the UID seems to have it messier and wavier but you can see in one of the photos the pony tail Mitch has on looks like the same type of waves the UID had..and the top of his right ear seems the same along with his eyebrows.. anyway.. just my thoughts again...

Attachments

• weiser_mitchel2[1][1].jpg
    weiser_mitchel2[1][1].jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 291_74[1][1].jpg
    291_74[1][1].jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 44
  • weiser_mitchel3[1][1].jpg
    weiser_mitchel3[1][1].jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 40
CA - CA - Oxnard, WhtMale UP9187, 18-30, carnival worker, aka 'Brad Bodie', Apr'74

Was this guy ever checked out or ruled out to be Mitch.. he sort of looks like him and has a tattoo of a face of a girl that looks like Bonita.. and had a tattoo of RITA on his wrist.. does anyone know if she was ever called Rita or if he called her Rita?

I converted the color photos to b/w and tried to work the photo of the UID a bit more.. Just thought I would add..

Mitch and the UID's glasses seem similar and both wear them low on the nose. Also his hair has the same part and wavy in the front.. the UID seems to have it messier and wavier but you can see in one of the photos the pony tail Mitch has on looks like the same type of waves the UID had..and the top of his right ear seems the same along with his eyebrows.. anyway.. just my thoughts again...

I don't think so. Mitch disappeared at the end of July in '73 and this UID was found in april '74. That is a lot of living and weight gain for a straight laced Jewish boy to turn into a tattooed carnie.

As for looking alike in other regards, that was the style back then. Wearing big glasses and having hair long and parted down the middle.

I really dont think Mitch and Bonnie left the state of NY, at least not alive anyway.

I don't think so. Mitch disappeared at the end of July in '73 and this UID was found in april '74. That is a lot of living and weight gain for a straight laced Jewish boy to turn into a tattooed carnie.

As for looking alike in other regards, that was the style back then. Wearing big glasses and having hair long and parted down the middle.

I really dont think Mitch and Bonnie left the state of NY, at least not alive anyway.

I know what you mean about everyone had that look at the time..
BUT.. what I was talking about is the part in his hair is Not exactly in the middle.. its slightly heavier to the right side of his face with a small wave near the forehead.. the UID seems to have the same part and wave. The glasses just seem to look identical to me and he does not wear them fully up on his nose like the UID.

9 months is enough time I believe for some guy to pack on some weight if all they are doing is drinking beer, soda, eating junk food and carbs. That would be about 8 or 9lbs a month, especially since he young guy still growing.
Also we don't know if he is one of those people that gain weight faster than other people because its in their genes.

Lastly how much do we Really know about Mitch to really say he was a straight laced Jewish boy.. I grew up with Many kids that Appeared to be the goody toe shoe kids and they really were not and fooled everyone.

I just posted this carnie guy with the scenario in mind that possibly Bonita was killed or died earlier on and he had to go on and could not go back to the way he lived because of fear of getting in trouble.

I came across this article and for some reason of the UID that reminds me of Mitch.. this kid disappeared for 2 years and he is 17 now.. so it could be possible.

Missing Teen Returns Home After Two Years, His Story Left The Authorities Surprised

teen-missing.jpg

mitchel_fred_weiser_3.jpg
Thumbnail

Last edited:
NamUs UP12374, found 9/20/1992 in Bear Mountain State Park - Although this is the opposite direction from that which Mitchel Weiser should have been traveling based on the report that he was heading to a concert in Watkins Glen, NY, the estimated age, height, and weight of the unidentified remains fits with Mr. Weiser's. Also, the forensic illustration of the UID looks similar to Mr. Weiser. According to mitchelandbonnie.com, he and Bonnie Bickwit planned to hitchhike to the concert and were last seen along SR 97, which runs into Port Jervis, NY. Interstate 84 also runs past Port Jervis and Bear Mtn. State Park. Submitted this possible match to NamUs, 3/18/19.

I realize this doesn't account for Bonnie Bickwit's whereabouts, but it may be a start.

NamUs UP1772, found in 1980 in High Point State Park - This location is about an hour from Narrowsburg and from Bear Mountain State Park (re: my previous post on this thread). This UID was female, estimated at 5'1" tall, weight not estimated. The forensic illustration looks somewhat similar to Bonita Bickwit, IMO. The only thing that I can't reconcile is that the UID was found with jeans that had a 34-35" waist, which seems too large for someone who weighed around 95lbs when she went missing. High Point State Park is less than 10 minutes off Interstate 84, so if someone picked up the couple hitchhiking on Route 97 near Narrowsburg, it's not unreasonable to think the suspect could have headed east and gotten onto I-84. Submitted to NamUs, 3/18/19.

I really hope there will be a happy ending to this couple's story, but it just seems so unlikely after all these years.

If they are still alive, I would guess they might be involved in academe, child day care or politics. They attended John Dewey High School, which was very progressive. I can also guess that their appearances are pretty much unchanged except for Mitch perhaps having a beard and of course the natural aging process for both of them. They had a somewhat disrespectful attitude towards authority as shown in Bonnie quitting her job without notice and Mitchell leaving his home for the concert after his mother had forbidden him to.

NamUs UP1772, found in 1980 in High Point State Park - This location is about an hour from Narrowsburg and from Bear Mountain State Park (re: my previous post on this thread). This UID was female, estimated at 5'1" tall, weight not estimated. The forensic illustration looks somewhat similar to Bonita Bickwit, IMO. The only thing that I can't reconcile is that the UID was found with jeans that had a 34-35" waist, which seems too large for someone who weighed around 95lbs when she went missing. High Point State Park is less than 10 minutes off Interstate 84, so if someone picked up the couple hitchhiking on Route 97 near Narrowsburg, it's not unreasonable to think the suspect could have headed east and gotten onto I-84. Submitted to NamUs, 3/18/19.

I really hope there will be a happy ending to this couple's story, but it just seems so unlikely after all these years.

The pants could have had a 34"-35" waist if they were hip-huggers. Low-waisted jeans were popular then (and now too), so the waist of the jeans was really more of a hip measurement than a waist measurement. For example, my actual waist is 27" but the measurement around the waistband of some of my lower-waisted jeans is anywhere from 32"-34".

The pants could have had a 34"-35" waist if they were hip-huggers. Low-waisted jeans were popular then (and now too), so the waist of the jeans was really more of a hip measurement than a waist measurement. For example, my actual waist is 27" but the measurement around the waistband of some of my lower-waisted jeans is anywhere from 32"-34".
That size of jeans would also fit just about right if the uid had been recently pregnant, imo.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back