GUILTY Denmark - Kim Wall, 30, Copenhagen, 10 Aug 2017 #2

Thanks for the updates - I lost internet connection at the crucial moment when I was trying to supply a link and got so cross I had to switch everything off and come back later.
I feel your final comment is a bit harsh, Za Zara! All European sentences seem light compared with American ones, I suppose, but I don't think that's quite the same as not thinking a person's life is worth very much. There are places where that's true, of course, where murders are not investigated properly and bodies from road accidents are left in the road (I've been in one or two). Now if you're talking about PM's defence counsel then I agree she gives that impression, but the prosecution have told the story properly.

I think the appeal has been denied. Google translate isn't making this very clear. Reads from bottom to top.

14:08
Camilla Marie Nielsen
In addition to compensation for the relatives, Peter Madsen must pay the costs.

14:07
Linette K. Jespersen
When he left, he exchanged a couple of words with the woman and actually resembled one who was crying.

14:05
Camilla Marie Nielsen
The denial has thus taken for two minutes and everyone is leaving the hall.

14:04
Linette K. Jespersen
Peter Madsen has got red plamager up his throat, but smiles a little sad smile to the former prison officer who supports him in the audience. Otherwise, he does not react visibly to seem bent down. After the verdict he stands straight and talks with his defender with his hands in front of him.

14:04
Camilla Marie Nielsen
The two have just - as the rest of the hall - stood up for the court. While judges and judges go out, Peter Madsen speaks intensely with his lawyer.

14:03
Camilla Marie Nielsen
In this way, the President will end the day's hearing and the appeal proceedings have ended. Peter Madsen is currently standing with his defense lawyer.

14:02
Camilla Marie Nielsen
The chairman states that there is a single panel.
- It must be assumed that there is a particular gravity in the crime being planned and that the defendants have shown a particular ruthlessness and that the perpetrators were worried, says the judge, who in their decision on lifetime has thus taken the arguments Kristian accuses Kirk joined his procedure.
"So the result is the same as in the district court," said the president.

14:01
Camilla Marie Nielsen
In addition, the President announced that there are few changes in relation to the verdict of the City Court. It concerns the compensation granted to the city court.
In the new verdict, Peter Madsen will now pay 328,246.14 dollars to Kim Walls parents and 150,000 kroner to Kim Wall's Danish girlfriend.

13:59
Camilla Marie Nielsen
The court will now be put and the President will speak:
- The conclusion is as follows: You are well-known. The judge's verdict is confirmed, the judge states.

BBM.

Thanks for the updates - I lost internet connection at the crucial moment when I was trying to supply a link and got so cross I had to switch everything off and come back later.
I feel your final comment is a bit harsh, Za Zara! All European sentences seem light compared with American ones, I suppose, but I don't think that's quite the same as not thinking a person's life is worth very much. There are places where that's true, of course, where murders are not investigated properly and bodies from road accidents are left in the road (I've been in one or two). Now if you're talking about PM's defence counsel then I agree she gives that impression, but the prosecution have told the story properly.

I think what hit me was this:

Taking another person's life is one of the most cynical things man can commit, said Betina Hald Engmark.

This is the defense. And they claim that 11 actual years in prison would be enough for one of the most cynical things a man can commit.
This does not only happen in Denmark of course. But it does make one cynical.

It only makes me cynical about defence barristers with desperate and unscrupulous clients. She got nowhere with all that.
I suspect you will find murderers in other European countries serving as little as 11 years for less hideous murders. Where Betina Hald Engmark sounds most weird is in her refusal to concede that this is actually way beyond the hideousness of most murders, dreadful though any murder is in taking a person's life.

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/krimi/2018-09-26-peter-madsens-advokat-vil-ikke-udelukke-hoejesteret

This link is to an article about how the defence counsel does not rule out an appeal to the Supreme Court from the regional court's decision. Let's hope leave to appeal is refused - I think costs for this appeal were awarded against Madsen (unless I've misunderstood, which is always possible using these translations). There's a link to another article about how he spoke to Kim Wall's parents yesterday and again said he was sorry 'for what has happened.'

Copenhagen Post:
September 26th, 2018 4:10 pm| by Ben Hamilton

'The Østre Landsret high court has upheld the life sentence handed to submariner Peter Madsen at the Copenhagen City Court in April for murdering the Swedish journalist Kim Wall in August 2017.

Cost time and money
His legal team had argued the sentence should be reduced to 14-16 years, as life sentences are very rarely handed out in Denmark to people with no prior convictions who have only killed one person.

There have only been two such cases since 1991 … and now three!

But such was the depravity of Madsen’s murder, and his subsequent disposal of her body, that the five judges (three professionals and two laymen) came to the conclusion that life should mean life.

As part of the judgment, the court has ruled that Madsen should pay 328,246.14 kroner to Kim Wall’s parents and 150,000 kroner to Kim Wall’s Danish boyfriend.

Bitter pill for lawyer
For Madsen’s defence lawyer, Betina Hald Engmark, who was retained despite losing in April, it was a tough pill to swallow, particularly as on Day One of the three-day trial she had childishly argued that Madsen should only be sentenced to six months due to a technicality.

She was full of excuses as she left court, arguing that Madsen … well, she had her opportunity in court and the case is closed.

Or is it? For the case to be presented to the Supreme Court, both the prosecution and defence must be agreeable, and it must then be approved by the Procesbevillingsnævnet, should it feel the case is unprecedented.

Madsen has not yet given any indication whether he intends to appeal or whether he wants to retain the services of Engmark.'

I am very happy he lost his appeal.

Just in; Madsen has decided NOT to appeal his verdict in supreme court, which would have been his final option.
So, this is OVER now: life in prison, which very well, and probably, will mean life, given the hideous character of the murder.
His reason according to his lawyer is that he has no desire to see the inside of a court ever again.
Bye Madsen, may you soon be forgotten and spend the rest of your miserable life rotting away behind bars.

Want to add: the reason for him not appealing is not what they say.
For the case to be taken up by supreme court, a committee has to review it and give thumbs up - or thumbs down.
PM has been convicted and sentenced twice unanimously. The chances of the committee to give a green light for the case going to supreme court are in reality zero because of that.

That is the real reason.

The case will be made into a TV series.
Although I will most likely want to watch it, I don´t quite like the idea, but it will be made in collaboration with Kim Wall´s family.
The series will focus on the investigation and on how the relatives deal with a tragedy like this.

Open link in Google Chrome and choose translate.

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2018-10-11-ubaadssagen-bliver-til-tv-serie

The case will be made into a TV series.
Although I will most likely want to watch it, I don´t quite like the idea, but it will be made in collaboration with Kim Wall´s family.
The series will focus on the investigation and on how the relatives deal with a tragedy like this.

Open link in Google Chrome and choose translate.

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2018-10-11-ubaadssagen-bliver-til-tv-serie

"The collaboration with Jens Møller, Ingrid and Joachim Wall (parents, ed.) is crucial to this production. And I have no intentions to make a criminal series, where you sympathize with the perpetrator and his crime, "says Tobias Lindholm [ film director ] in a press release.

I'm interested in the people and the work that solved the crime, as well as the people who must continue to live their lives in spite of. Therefore, the perpetrator will not be involved."

BBM

Very good. Instead the focus will be on Jens Møller, who solved the crime and gathered enough evidence for the life conviction. Before I came to WS, I wasn't aware how much work that involves, and legal considerations.

Thanks, SATA, for keeping us informed. It was inevitable that something would be made out of this story and I'm glad this one at least doesn't feature PM.

It was a terrific police and prosecution effort. I always feel sorry for Jens Møller, though, being described in translation as the killing chief.

Kim Wall's murderer Peter Madsen have married the Russian journalist and artist Jenny Kurpen. Peter Madsen har gift sig med ryska Jenny, 39
I don't understand why some women are so fascinated by murderers that they are willing to marry them, even if the man is in prison. (Although in this case I wouldn't be surprised if the marriage was to be some kind of artistic happening, or something similar.)

Kim Wall's murderer Peter Madsen have married the Russian journalist and artist Jenny Kurpen. Peter Madsen har gift sig med ryska Jenny, 39
I don't understand why some women are so fascinated by murderers that they are willing to marry them, even if the man is in prison. (Although in this case I wouldn't be surprised if the marriage was to be some kind of artistic happening, or something similar.)
From the link -

A Russian newspaper has interviewed her about an upcoming art project, which will be designed in defense of Peter Madsen. Jenny says in the article, among other things, that mainstream feminists deny ordinary women the right to their own will.
It's via google translate, so I may be misunderstanding this, defending PM is bad enough, but if she's trying to suggest Kim Wall was an active participant in her own death that is truly disgraceful.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back