Supreme Court Nominee

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 75 49.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
10 takeaways from the Brett Kavanaugh-Christine Blasey Ford hearings - CNNPolitics

Kavanaugh clearly took that criticism to heart. The first 10-ish minutes of his opening statements was delivered in something close to a yell.

From Ford's emotional testimony to Kavanaugh's clear anger, Thursday's hearings were a wrenching process.

Ford testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee first and told of how she has been forced into hiding since coming forward publicly in an interview with The Washington Post.

"I am terrified," Ford said in her opening statement, and everything in her countenance attested to how incredibly difficult and painful recounting these memories of her alleged trauma were.

To me, the first hint that something was wrong with Kavanaugh was when he refused to shake the hand of the father whose daughter was murdered in that one school shooting. Kavanaugh glared at the father with this seething hatred (go back and look at the video - it's obvious). Then there was the Fox News interview with him and his wife the other day: His wife looked at him with a sense of disdain on her face, and, she looked very depressed. Today he came across as a liar, an alcoholic, and someone with a lack of respect for women and serious anger management issues. His mention of a Clinton conspiracy against him was incredibly ridiculous and unbecoming of a potential SCOTUS judge.
Yes, this, Exactly.

The allegations and his poor display yesterday that demonstrates what he is like under pressure (not judge-like in my opinion) are telling, but there is more to this hearing that shows us his character. That lack of handshake and the glare are very telling. He had the opportunity to bridge a gap and he not only missed it, he disdained the opportunity. He didn't even rebuff the handshake in a gentlemanly way - but with scorn. He showed us who he is.

And, as a personal observation having known mean drunks, I'm convinced this man is mean drunk (and mean sober too). My hunch is that people in his life walk on eggshells quite a bit.

I don't expect justices to be little sweethearts, and I appreciate a strong personality so I'm intimidated or turned off by that....but this man cannot control his emotions.

As someone posted upthread, he seems immature. I don't want an immature Supreme Court Justice.

I repeat myself, this is the best we have to offer??

Yet, I expect the committee will endorse him.

jmo

I honestly do not believe this confirmation, at this point, should have anything to do with political beliefs. It doesn't for me.

I didn't like Kavanaugh from the get-go because I think he will do a great deal of damage on the bench, obviously IMO. But early on, what became more important to me was what I saw was a lack of basic honesty. I'm convinced he committed perjury, for example, about his awareness of receiving & using materials stolen from Sen. Leahy.

That was bad enough. I'm old fashioned. I believe character matters, especially in a judge, and very especially, in a Supreme Court justice.

Far, far, far worse is the reality that someone who is yes, IMO clearly guilty of sexual assault, at least one, and who has lied about that, will likely sit on the Supreme Court , and especially as a survivor, as a woman who was raped by a man with power and authority, who was raped by a police officer, who was told by a police officer as I was being raped that no one would believe me because he was a police officer and I was only a girl, I find that reality unbearable, and the sympathy expressed for the perpetrator, nothing less than nauseating.
I would just like to point out...if Kavanaugh isn't appointed to the Supreme Court, another conservative WILL be. Is it so unreasonable to wish for someone whose character isn't questionable? Someone who hasn't been accused of sexual assault?

I do not like Kavanaugh- unrelated to the allegations by Dr. Ford: my feeling is this: i do not believe that a person's life and career should be ruined by allegations that are not proven. they are just that at this point in time: allegations. i had a problem with Dr. Ford's inability to recall how she got home--i cannot imagine not recalling how i would get home after being almost raped. did she walk? how far was her home from where the gathering was-- questions like that were not answered sufficiently.

I do not like Kavanaugh because i think ultimately he will be a lackey for Trump: Trump specifically picked him because Kavanaugh has opined in the past that he does not believe a sitting president should be subpoenaed and Trump does not intend to allow Mueller to interview him and Mueller will have to decide if he wants to subpoena him. For Trump Kavanaugh is his get out of jail card.

Another very troubling issue is this: a Supreme Court judge is supposed to be
non-partisan. Kavanaugh's blistering anger at the democrats and his conspiracy theory that this was a "hit job" by the democrats makes it clear to me he will not be
non-partisan.

My question, which was only answered by a couple posters, was if anyone holds an opinion on this case (the sexual assault, not the confirmation in general) that is in conflict with their political affiliations?

Is anyone considering these allegations at face value?
Or do you only believe Kavanaugh because you are a Trumpster?
Or do you only believe Ford, because you despise Trump?

Is anyone actually going by the actual merits of the case at hand?

Yes, this, Exactly.

The allegations and his poor display yesterday that demonstrates what he is like under pressure (not judge-like in my opinion) are telling, but there is more to this hearing that shows us his character. That lack of handshake and the glare are very telling. He had the opportunity to bridge a gap and he not only missed it, he disdained the opportunity. He didn't even rebuff the handshake in a gentlemanly way - but with scorn. He showed us who he is.

And, as a personal observation having known mean drunks, I'm convinced this man is mean drunk (and mean sober too). My hunch is that people in his life walk on eggshells quite a bit.

I don't expect justices to be little sweethearts, and I appreciate a strong personality so I'm intimidated or turned off by that....but this man cannot control his emotions.

As someone posted upthread, he seems immature. I don't want an immature Supreme Court Justice.

I repeat myself, this is the best we have to offer??

Yet, I expect the committee will endorse him.

jmo

Alcohol didn't make him into a violent rapist. It might have actually made him sloppy, and along a one piece bathing suit given Ford the chance to escape. He is an awful human being. That's his natural state.

My question, which was only answered by a couple posters, was if anyone holds an opinion on this case (the sexual assault, not the confirmation in general) that is in conflict with their political affiliations?

Is anyone considering these allegations at face value?
Or do you only believe Kavanaugh because you are a Trumpster?
Or do you only believe Ford, because you despise Trump?

Is anyone actually going by the actual merits of the case at hand?
I think the important thing is facts. We don’t have any. We weren’t there. The people who Dr. Ford says we’re there say that it didn’t happen or they don’t recall the event. These allegations have nothing to back them up (that I have seen). I learned the hard way that you don’t say the sky is blue unless you can prove it. Jmo

I think the important thing is facts. We don’t have any. We weren’t there. The people who Dr. Ford says we’re there say that it didn’t happen or they don’t recall the event. These allegations have nothing to back them up (that I have seen). I learned the hard way that you don’t say the sky is blue unless you can prove it. Jmo
What do you think of his demeanor in the hearings over all? Putting aside the allegations, are you impressed with this candidate and how he conducts himself?

jmo

I've posted that I find him unsuited for the job, whether or not the allegations are true.

I'm sitting on my hands about comments about Trump as that conversation will not serve the thread well - it will spiral out of control and get shut down if the past is a prediction of the future on WS threads.

Jmo

Whether one considered him suited or unsuited for the job before this, has nothing to do with if one believes whether or not he sexually assaulted anyone.
That is not the question.

I am looking to see if there is anyone out there anywhere who holds a view that is in conflict with their opinion about POTUS.

So far, it does not appear that there is, not just here at websleuths, but anywhere. On both sides of this debate, everybody everywhere including the Senate committee are basing their opinion of a sexual assault allegation totally in line with their opinion of POTUS. Both sides.

Confirmation bias at its finest, in full effect. And it appears nobody even realizes it.

Have you been around people that lie? He is lying. Ford has nothing to gain and so much to lose. Did you ever need a list of people that will say you didn't rape them?

Alcohol didn't make him into a violent rapist. It might have actually made him sloppy, and along a one piece bathing suit given Ford the chance to escape. He is an awful human being. That's his natural state.

Rapist you say?

"She was very compelling and very sympathetic," says @KellyannePolls of yesterday's testimony of Dr Christine Blasey Ford. Says she has "goosebumps" from it. "She was wronged by somebody" says Conway
Twitter

What do you think of his demeanor in the hearings over all? Putting aside the allegations, are you impressed with this candidate and how he conducts himself?

jmo
I admit I am biased. I have had someone lie about me under oath. My ex hit me and the only witness was my young child who I would not put on the stand. It was a hard lesson and changed my life. I know the frustration. Jmo

(Having trouble posting)

Have you been around people that lie? He is lying. Ford has nothing to gain and so much to lose. Did you ever need a list of people that will say you didn't rape them?

Yes I have been around ppl that lie. I have watched 2 different ppl lie to cops, 2 different times. Some are very good at it, which I distanced myself from, can’t trust and hate liars.

I sometimes confront ppl on lying, they hate that.

I call ppl out about everything that does not ring true, even family. And I’m usually right. Ppl that know me will say don’t bet against her, you’ll lose.

I bet he’s confirmed.

Yes I have been around ppl that lie. I have watched 2 different ppl lie to cops, 2 different times. Some are very good at it, which I distanced myself from, can’t trust and hate liars.

I sometimes confront ppl on lying, they hate that.

I call ppl out about everything that does not ring true, even family. And I’m usually right. Ppl that know me will say don’t bet against her, you’ll lose.

I bet he’s confirmed.
Unfortunately you are probably right. I have little faith in this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPOL1566