Found Deceased ME - Kristin Westra, 47, North Yarmouth, 30 Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only followed a handful of missing persons cases that ended up being suicide, however, 100% of those cases involved the person going to a secluded spot in nature resulting in several days to weeks of searching.

Moo

I keep thinking about Leanne Bearden, so sad.

Many factors can prevent dogs and people too, from finding victims on a search. Dogs should not be blamed, they are trained by humans, subject to error, weather, winds, etc...

Handlers can misread the dog's cues, too, or misread the map/grid and skip an area. Or run the dog too long - their noses get tired!

Vigil for missing North Yarmouth woman turns into memorial service

A prayer vigil for a missing North Yarmouth woman became an impromptu memorial service Saturday evening, as the family and friends of Kristin Westra came to terms with what a minister called her “untimely death.”

The vigil was planned earlier in the week, while an active search for Westra was underway. An official memorial service will be held in two weeks, Bennekamper said.

A prayer vigil for a missing North Yarmouth woman became an impromptu memorial service Saturday evening, as the family and friends of Kristin Westra came to terms with what a minister called her “untimely death.”

“Let this be a sanctuary for you,” senior minister Diane Bennekamper told more than 100 people gathered in the Congregational Church in Cumberland. “We, too, feel the loss you do.”

[...]

The state medical examiner’s office has not identified the body or released a cause of death. The search has been called off and there was no police presence Saturday afternoon near where the body was found on Route 115 in North Yarmouth.

Capt. Craig Smith of the sheriff’s office said in an email Saturday evening that there was no update to the case. “I suspect there will be one tomorrow afternoon,” Smith said.

For those gathered in the Cumberland church Saturday evening, the absence of an official death confirmation did nothing to ease the raw pain of sudden, unexpected loss.

“I don’t even feel like I can ever feel normal again,” said Westra’s brother, Eric Rohrbach, speaking to the assembly.

I have been following quietly from the start. Lived in the area for a while. Native of New England. Here is my dilemma.
The husband is the source for any mental health issues she allegedly had lately. The best friend was surprised. In my experience the girlfriend would know more about Kristin's state of mind than the husband. Next, if this friend of the family in law NP saw Kristin professionally and gave medical advice it was totally unprofessional. However we only got this information from the husband. I don't see where it has been confirmed. Perhaps I missed it.
Could it be suicide? Anything possible, but let me ask you this. If the husband had not mentioned the NP or the anxiousness or the trouble sleeping and on and on and we were going by the information supplied by the best friend and colleagues, would anyone be thinking it was a suicide? I won't use suicide as the go to guess for COD until I get information from the police that corroborates the husband's information. Sorry. Not acusing anyone of anything. Just refusing to take anything at face value when all information comes from one person. JMO
Her brother also seemed incredibly close and spoke with her frequently and seemed to have a different view than the husband.

However, I feel like the people I live with would know me best. Then again I'm heavily introverted and it doesnt appear like KW was. It would be harder to hide things if you speak with someone daily.

Thank you for posting and not keeping quiet. I agree with you on so many points and have some to add if goes that direction.

Moo

The state medical examiner’s office has not identified the body or released a cause of death.

Capt. Craig Smith of the sheriff’s office said in an email Saturday evening that there was no update to the case. “I suspect there will be one tomorrow afternoon,” Smith said.
Anyone else entertaining the thought that the delay in the body ID -- and even the delay in the release of the cause of death is a bit mystifying to the perpetually skeptical among us?

For example, what are the odds she wasn't wearing a wedding ring - less than 10 percent maybe? That could be shown to the husband one would think.

OTOH, some have said the husband's Facebook page indicates he already 'knows' it's her. If so, why does it seem like LE is hush-hush?

Is there something strategic going on that suggests there's at least the possibility of foul play and LE wants to hold off so they don't tip off a perp that he (or she) is being looked at?

Then again, I ate some real spicy food earlier. Maybe I am hallucinating.

It is standard for police not to release the identification until the autopsy has positively identified the body. There's nothing nefarious or strange about that here. It's simply how things are generally done. They know it's her, autopsy will confirm.

It is standard for police not to release the identification until the autopsy has positively identified the body. There's nothing nefarious or strange about that here. It's simply how things are generally done. They know it's her, autopsy will confirm.
I hear you.

But my recollection is that generally speaking -- but not always -- the public is informed of a missing person's ID within 24 hours (72 max) of the body being found.

At least for recent cases like Shannon Watts, Mollie Tibbetts, the discovery of two bodies in Madison and Grant counties in Indiana back in August...
and finally, back in June the body of 18-year-old Maura McCoy was discovered in Alabama on a Sunday and on Tuesday Butler County Sheriff Kenny Harden announced her identification.

At a minimum I am curious why (AFAIK) the local LE would not even go so far as to say we believe the body to be that of Kristin Westra.

Could be totally above board -- and probably is.

It just struck me as curious in light of the trend in recent years for LE to be so tight lipped (see Missy Bevers) it sometimes alienates locals needed to help solve a crime.

I am not saying that is the case here necessarily -- or yet.

Plus I may be the only one that found this a bit odd. In my eight years here at Websleuths sometimes when there is a drop-off in commenting activity I will post a comment simply as a conversation starter.

Best,
Mike

Last edited:
Couldn’t find the comment sceollign back, but perhaps the commenter saying something along the lines of “that’s not how antidepressants work” after one dose meant just that. That (anti anxiety or depressant) they often take weeks to work (according to doctors that have told me many times during rough times in my life - I’m certainly no expert), depending on the type anyway- and you just take them every day to notice the difference.
That she likely didn’t get that depressed and commit suicide after one dose.

Sorry for the formatting...my phone is being difficult.

Last edited:

Friends and family remembered Westra as a source of joy and exuberance – a passionate teacher at Chebeague Island School who ran like a “gazelle” and loved the people closest to her. Friends recalled hiking trips to Mount Katahdin, annual Halloween costume parties and regular running races. She restored one woman’s faith in teaching and supported her friends through thick and thin.

I hear you.

But my recollection is that generally speaking -- but not always -- the public is informed of a missing person's ID within 24 hours (72 max) of the body being found.

At least for recent cases like Shannon Watts, Mollie Tibbetts, the discovery of two bodies in Madison and Grant counties in Indiana back in August...
and finally, back in June the body of 18-year-old Maura McCoy was discovered in Alabama on a Sunday and on Tuesday Butler County Sheriff Kenny Harden announced her identification.

At a minimum I am curious why (AFAIK) the local LE would not even go so far as to say we believe the body to be that of Kristin Westra.

Could be totally above board -- and probably is.

It just struck me as curious in light of the trend in recent years for LE to be so tight lipped (see Missy Bevers) it sometimes alienates locals needed to help solve a crime.

I am not saying that is the case here necessarily -- or yet.

Plus I may be the only one that found this a bit odd. In my eight years here at Websleuths sometimes when there is a drop-off in commenting activity I will post a comment simply as a conversation starter.

Best,
Mike
Some possibilities here jump to my mind. 1) LE waiting to see if someone presumed to know it’s her because person already knew she was deceased. 2) Or body in such damaged condition it’s difficult to positively id her. 3) Or it’s not her. All jmo.

Huh? It IS her. It's been confirmed by her husband and her minister.
Yes I know that. I was posting all my wildest ideas of why LE hadn't positively identified the body as being hers. Even remote possibilities. And responding to the "starting a conversation message" from previous post. I believe it is her as well.

I read that LE had a credible source that she/someone who fit her description was seen on the road close to where the body was found. I think that piece rules out any foul play near her home.

There are many, many things women tell their best friend, if they are lucky enough to have one in their life, that they don't tell their husband.

Yeah, like if the husband did something dumb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members