NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
THe statement "two motorists reported seeing her" is unclear to me.

Does that mean, two motorists that morning called 911 and said hey there's a little girl walking on the side of the road? Or did they only report it after her disappearance was announced? Some people, especially women, are very wary of being out alone in the wee hours and being "trapped" into stopping to render aid, and then becoming victims. Maybe the motorists called at that moment . . .

The other thing about this article that catches my eye, is how many kids go missing from their homes have parents who have checked on them in the wee hours of the morning. So often when there's a mysterious disappearance of a child in the middle of the night, there is a parent who will state they checked on them in the wee hours of the morning and the child was fine.

Do people check on their kids like that? I never do. Like, never do I ever open my child's door at 2:30 just to look at them. Does anyone else? I can't tell you how often I've seen this in stories of missing kids - Danarriah Finley, Tamara Keepness, I'm pulling a blank here but it seems typical. HM.
I know this is an old post, but I am reading through this thread again due to the recent post by LE in Asha’s case & wanted to respond.
I am up off & on throughout the night due to illnesses. I peek in on my kids every night, at least once. My husband does this too (he’s a light sleeper). For us, this is normal. And maybe a lot of parents do this? I’ve never thought to ask other parents whether they do this or not.
I hope LE is onto something big with this new info. Praying they find Asha
MOO

I know this is an old post, but I am reading through this thread again due to the recent post by LE in Asha’s case & wanted to respond.
I am up off & on throughout the night due to illnesses. I peek in on my kids every night, at least once. My husband does this too (he’s a light sleeper). For us, this is normal. And maybe a lot of parents do this? I’ve never thought to ask other parents whether they do this or not.
I hope LE is onto something big with this new info. Praying they find Asha
MOO

I check on my kids before I go to bed, first thing when I wake up and if I wake up at night for any reason I check on them, sometimes multiple times per night. My husband, he never checks on them.

MISSING ASHA DEGREE: Authorities release photos of items that could help track down girl missing for 10 years
Asha%20Degree%20items_1539054261757.jpg_13272057_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Asha%20book_1539054602186.png_13272060_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Authorities are asking if anyone had this library book and then lost track of it to let them know. Same for the shirt if I understand correctly. Any theories here? For example, a local child checked out this book from the library and never returned it. Why? Family member took the book and shirt as gifts to give to Asha 0r as items to have in his car to keep her occupied. Did LE find these items and are somehow linking them to Asha? Just thinking as I type here, if LE didn’t find these items and tie them to Asha, what would make them ask about these particular items? Could someone be implicating someone for the crime and LE is trying to see if it’s true? For example, person A says there is a rumor in the family the person B abducted Asha. Person B took items from home belonging to his child as items to give to Asha.

Authorities are asking if anyone had this library book and then lost track of it to let them know. Same for the shirt if I understand correctly. Any theories here? For example, a local child checked out this book from the library and never returned it. Why? Family member took the book and shirt as gifts to give to Asha 0r as items to have in his car to keep her occupied. Did LE find these items and are somehow linking them to Asha? Just thinking as I type here, if LE didn’t find these items and tie them to Asha, what would make them ask about these particular items? Could someone be implicating someone for the crime and LE is trying to see if it’s true? For example, person A says there is a rumor in the family the person B abducted Asha. Person B took items from home belonging to his child as items to give to Asha.
An unsavory thought, but there is a thread here for identifying objects seen in photos of vulnerable children. Maybe someone who looked like Asha was seen in a photo with those items?
imo, speculation.

I check on my kids before I go to bed, first thing when I wake up and if I wake up at night for any reason I check on them, sometimes multiple times per night. My husband, he never checks on them.
Thank you, BethAnn777 For a second I thought maybe my husband & I were a borderline crazy!

An unsavory thought, but there is a thread here for identifying objects seen in photos of vulnerable children. Maybe someone who looked like Asha was seen in a photo with those items?
imo, speculation.
Unsavory, but possible :( Hoping that’s not the case, but if it is, would that raise the possibility of her being alive?
MOO

There could be several possibilities here with these items. Were these two items unaccounted for at home and not found with her backpack meaning the abductor kept them to pacify her? Have these items recently surfaced and were recognized as belonging to her?

I will add that the New Kids On the Block t-shirt looks more like a long gown that 6-12 year olds would wear to sleep in back then. I say this because of the rounded edge on the shirt tail and the red trim. Could this be what she was sleeping in the night she disappeared?

there is a thread here for identifying objects seen in photos of vulnerable children.

dotr, can you provide a link to this? I tried searching without any luck.

Thanks in advance!

I can't wait to hear what these objects mean! I hope someone comes forward soon! Here is my take on these items. Now I'm the same age as Asha. Dr. Seuss was a bit younger for what I was reading at the time. That year I was really getting into the Goosebumps series. And the NKOTB shirt is a bit dated too. I had an Nsync t-shirt around that time. What I take from the NKOTB shirt was it was a hand-me-down from a older relative. They were big in the late 80's before we were born. Maybe it was mom's favorite band and it was given to her when it didn't fit anymore. To clarify, I had no idea who NKOTB were at that time. But was well aware of other boy bands like Nsync, Backstreet Boys, and Hanson.

In my speculation now is that her abductor was a parent at her school with a child a bit younger than Asha. Maybe used a sleepover with the child as a ruse to abduct her. This is all speculation of course. But they didn't implicate these items as belonging to Asha herself.

With the library book, wasn't there a check-out slip inside with past check-out names listed? Or a stamp of the school or public library it came from?

rbbm.
MISSING ASHA DEGREE: Authorities release new photos in case of 'Shelby's sweetheart' who vanished 18 years ago
"Channel 9's Ken Lemon talked to an investigator working solely on Asha's case and he said the items are critical to solving it.
The Cleveland County Sheriff's Office released a Facebook video asking anyone who had the Dr. Seuss book, "McElligot's Pool" and lost track of it to call the Sheriff's Office.

The book was checked out from the Fallston Middle School library around early 2000, when Asha attended the school."
"Investigators have not told the public the reason why the items are important or if they were found inside her bag
, but said they can be helpful in finding out what happened to her."

So the shirt they showed us on the news clip is from Google Images... but I wonder if they have this shirt and just don't want to show it to the public for whatever reason (rotting, tattered, stained with blood, etc.) But the fact that they're asking if people know anyone that has this shirt makes me think that's not what's going on. It's almost as if they saw this shirt in a photograph or something and they want more info (any info) on this specific NKOTB shirt/nightgown.

But that book on the other hand, is stamped with the name of Asha's school! So it makes me believe that perhaps it was in her backpack or found nearby?

Remember, the FBI said they believed she was still alive. That's a strong statement to make without any time of proof/evidence. They have something that they're not telling us. I have a feeling more info will be leaking out soon.

Hopefully Asha is found soon. Before 2019.

With new DNA techniques there has been an increase in cold cases being solved lately. Serial predators are being caught left and right. When I saw that library book, I wondered if perhaps it was found at the home of a known pedophile? Maybe in his trophy collection? LE would have noted the library stamp and made the connection of it being from Asha's school right away. But they are saying that the records for who checked it out are lost. Maybe the request for anyone who had one and lost it to come forward are with hopes of ruling out that it was Asha's? Or tracing the book's path after it was checked out (if someone remembers checking it out and then moving away not long after that, for example). IDK. I hope these clues being released means they have a suspect and are close to finding Asha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member