TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobra, for some reason I am unable to quote your post but I wanted to respond as this case has affected me as well. I think about it often.

This morning I let my dog out around 2 am and stood on my porch/entryway while waiting for the little guy to do his business. I had grabbed my jacket and put the hoody over my head as it was chilly outside. All of the sudden a police car drove slowly past my condo, quickly reversed and sat in front of my condo, staring at me for 30 seconds, maybe a minute. I stood there like a statue and didn’t move. I was afraid to wave, move a muscle or approach him because I know what can happen even when u are totally innocent and going about your routine, daily life. I guess after the cop saw my dog he realized I was no threat so he left, but this case quickly came to my mind. And I kid u not, I was scared in that short period of time. I have never before been afraid of police but, sadly, I am now because I see the power they hold and how any situation can turn out badly. Scary stuff.

Sorry you feel that way, Blondie. I do wonder about the training for police officers, and the caliber of applicants. Do they have many to choose from? Or do they have to pick from a group of not really great candidates...

Respectfully, regarding the release of documentation we want released, I realized last night when I was thinking about what's being done in this case that the Dallas PD and all other LE agencies had the case removed from local and area jurisdiction early on, and the Texas Rangers took the investigation over. So, DPD can't legally release information to the public in an ongoing case investigation by another, higher level professional investigative body.

The Crimeonline.com article quoted above does not even mention the presence of the Texas Rangers, and this is a huge omission or oversight.

To learn a bit about the Texas Rangers and the scope of their investigative abilities, this might be helpful:TxDPS - Texas Ranger Responsibilities

I had to learn about them when we moved to Texas. I thought the Texas Rangers was simply the name of a sports team.

They are absolutely respected in Texas and are directly responsible to the governor.
The units they have which are likely at work in Mr. Jean's case are these, in addition to their regular investigative work to solve the crime:
"Public Corruption Unit
The 81st session of the Texas Legislature passed HB2086; this bill created the Public Corruption Unit within the Texas Department of Public Safety, under the responsibility of the Texas Ranger Division. The Texas Rangers are committed to fighting public corruption, as it relates to public officials, law enforcement officers, and others that hold a position of public trust. Fighting corruption is vital to preserving our democracy, protecting our borders, and securing our communities.

Public Integrity Unit
The Texas Ranger’s Public Integrity Unit is responsible for investigating crimes committed by state officers and state employees.
In 2015, the 84th Texas Legislature passed House Bill 1690, which created a Public Integrity Unit within the Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department of Public Safety to investigate offenses against public administration.
To discuss public integrity or corruption allegations with a Texas Ranger near you, contact your local Texas Ranger’s Office."

It's not usual for them to release any information when they take a case over from another LE agency in Texas. They have all the 911 info, the DPD statements, A.G.'s statements, and info from cameras outside the parking garage, Mr. Jean's apartment and her apartment.
Also, they likely have all current case info, including the answers to the questions I was asking about his autopsy and her drug testing and so forth.

In my experience, they do not usually release info in an active investigation unless they need specific information from the public, or may want to give a preliminary finding when the suspected outcome involves the death of a kidnapped or otherwise missing child or children. Also, in some cases which affected an entire city, they do present regular press conferences but what they tell until there is a final resolution is much different from what the locals will try to insinuate or say to make themselves look " good". They historically perform a thorough and unbiased investigation if past performance is an indication.
Usually, their investigations are on the level of the FBI, because they have state jurisdiction and override any other state LE agency.
This is my experience, and I'm not trying to sugar coat anything about this case. It was a great relief for the Texas Rangers to step in and take the case early.

Jana, then why was the information about Mr. Jean's apartment search and contents posted in the news? Specifically, 10 grams of marijuana, found in Mr. Jean's apartment.

We still are waiting for any answers regarding Ms. Guyger...there seems to be "mum" on information regarding the perpetrator, but not the victim.

Jana, then why was the information about Mr. Jean's apartment search and contents posted in the news? Specifically, 10 grams of marijuana, found in Mr. Jean's apartment.

We still are waiting for any answers regarding Ms. Guyger...there seems to be "mum" on information regarding the perpetrator, but not the victim.

Look at the timeline. The Dallas PD was flying by the seat of its proverbial pants.
They were making mistake after mistake and a huge amount of info, most of it likely wrong, was given out or leaked to the press.

Then, the governor stepped in and assigned the case to the Texas Rangers. Best. Move. Possible. for Mr. Jean and his family. DPD had protected AG. Not one word has been said about her since the Texas Rangers took over, nor has there been official info about Mr. Jean, or the DPD as a whole.

I SHOULD have put this in my post last night instead of making a separate post about it but to be honest, I forgot how the jurisdiction CHANGED in the first few weeks.
There is NO excusing anything about the Dallas Police Chief or the Dallas Police Dept.

However, once the Texas Rangers took the case over entirely, anything that's been said since then has not been from any official source in their investigation. They have earned respect, not respect because they strong arm or otherwise intimidate people. That's not how the Tx. Rangers work.

Also, from experience, they likely WON'T be giving any case info unless they need the help of the public in the form of another type of witness ( other than the ones at the apartments) this far into the investigation, which is unlikely.
AG is a former police officer now, she gets nothing above and beyond what any of the rest of us would get anywhere at all, Dallas, the state of Texas, the United States of America.

I linked to the Texas Rangers website. If any of us are going to debate what's happening, we have to realize this is not a DPD case, it is a state investigative body case now and the focus is NOT what Mr. Jean was doing, it's " Why did a police officer shoot a man with deadly force in his own apartment when he had not committed a crime?"

Reactions: TRB
What in the hell are they hiding from the public about Guyger that is intimate and embarrassing?? Also of no concern to the public....Really?

<modsnipped information not in MSM>

The city cited a variety of other reasons for withholding the information, including that the release of some items would represent "an unwanted invasion of personal privacy" and would be "highly intimate or embarrassing and of no legitimate concern to the public."

Dallas police, DA refuse to release officer's 911 call, autopsy report in Botham Jean killing | Dallas Police | Dallas News

Last edited by a moderator:
What in the hell are they hiding from the public about Guyger that is intimate and embarrassing?? Also of no concern to the public....Really?

Besides the alleged security job was she moonlighting as a pole/lap dancer. Was she moonlighting as one of those phone people? (The people that men call and pay to talk nasty to)

The city cited a variety of other reasons for withholding the information, including that the release of some items would represent "an unwanted invasion of personal privacy" and would be "highly intimate or embarrassing and of no legitimate concern to the public."

Dallas police, DA refuse to release officer's 911 call, autopsy report in Botham Jean killing | Dallas Police | Dallas News

I didn't read one word in the DallasNews.com article you linked about Amber Guyger being a " pole/ lap dancer". Do you have a factual media source for this statement? I've not read it or heard it but as I said, we have an almost media blackout about the case BECAUSE the last thing anyone wants for Mr. Jean's family and justice is a tainted or otherwise polarized jury pool.. If the jury is slanted either way it could end in a mistrial for her.
Justice delayed is justice denied for that period of time once all factual info is known and taken to a GJ with a true bill returned for trial.

I didn't read one word in the DallasNews.com article you linked about Amber Guyger being a " pole/ lap dancer". Do you have a factual media source for this statement? I've not read it or heard it but as I said, we have an almost media blackout about the case BECAUSE the last thing anyone wants for Mr. Jean's family and justice is a tainted or otherwise polarized jury pool.. If the jury is slanted either way it could end in a mistrial for her.
Justice delayed is justice denied for that period of time once all factual info is known and taken to a GJ with a true bill returned for trial.

The comment asked WAS she a pole dancer...asking if that's what was so private/embarrassing.

nope, can't convince me there is any reason whatsoever for them to be searching his phone, etc. Glad that we can be on two sides of the fence and exist here together.

Searching his phone, etc is actually a good thing. It will help establish that he was doing nothing but living his life before she broke into his apartment and murdered him.

Now, I absolutely believe that *their* reason for looking into his phone etc is an attempt to find something to cast him in a negative light - think Philando Castile having a small amount of weed on him being justification for being murdered by an incompetent cop - but in the end it will only help the prosecution.

Please read posts fully before replying please.

The comment asked WAS she a pole dancer...asking if that's what was so private/embarrassing.

Thank you so very much Tristan reading my post and for responding to that post above your quote.

Please read posts fully before replying please.

Please put a question mark where a question mark is supposed to be, otherwise it reads like both a run-on sentence and a statement. Thanks. )
Sorry I read it as a statement of fact.
I'm bowing out of the discussion because I think this is turning into a racial issue which I am never in favor of happening. In closing, my last statement on this case is that I hope for the best, namely that full justice will be served regardless of any factor other than guilt proven beyond a reasonable doubt, which I believe is forthcoming.

I do not know why this was mod snipped because I asked questions about Guyger. It was clear they were questions. The word “was” was in there for those questions. “Was she”.

I asked questions and there was nothing about that being in the article. I posted the article and link way below MY questions.

How long will it usually take to get to the GJ?

Ie. For how long do they mean to suppress the vital facts for this case?

As I do not belong to either of the races concerned, race is not my issue, it's just about justice. Which is universal.

I do not know why this was mod snipped because I asked questions about Guyger. It was clear they were questions. The word “was” was in there for those questions. “Was she”.

I asked questions and there was nothing about that being in the article. I posted the article and link way below MY questions.
I guess someone misunderstood your post and reported it to a mod.

How long will it usually take to get to the GJ?

Ie. For how long do they mean to suppress the vital facts for this case?

As I do not belong to either of the races concerned, race is not my issue, it's just about justice. Which is universal.

I agree, and I don't see this as a race issue either. Everyone should be concerned if LEO can enter a private residence, shoot a citizen who is at home, and waltz away, like there was no crime committed. It doesn't matter if it was an "accident", or whatever. A private citizen who had done the exact same action, would have been arrested and detained by LEO, at the time of the incident.

We can't have separate laws for police officers, that leads to a police state.

I am concerned that this will go away from the headlines, be strung out for years with continuances, and eventually, motion for dismissal by defense, approved by court, the family was cut a big check. Done. Moving on.

Respectfully snipped for focus
I am concerned that this will go away from the headlines, be strung out for years with continuances, and eventually, motion for dismissal by defense, approved by court, the family was cut a big check. Done. Moving on.
IMO, Bo's family will never accept a big check and just let the case drop. His parents & siblings will continue fighting for justice and have the support of the public, including us here at WS.

I share your concern on not disclosing this personal info. It could very well help illuminate character, or lack thereof. I will not jump to sexist conclusions about what this highly intimate or embarrassing info is, but I do consider it relevant.
Understanding how the Perp in question thinks, recreates, etc. is highly relevant to potential motive.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

I share your concern on not disclosing this personal info. It could very well help illuminate character, or lack thereof. I will not jump to sexist conclusions about what this highly intimate or embarrassing info is, but I do consider it relevant.
Understanding how the Perp in question thinks, recreates, etc. is highly relevant to potential motive.

Amateur opinion and speculation only
I just hope that the highly intimate or embarrassing info suppressed relates to something on her social media that was deleted, and not the 911 call:rolleyes:

Otherwise I don't know what to think.

MOO

I just hope that the highly intimate or embarrassing info suppressed relates to something on her social media that was deleted, and not the 911 call:rolleyes:

MOO

I am wondering about language, vernacular, terminology, that could be quite damaging and prejudicial. Since it is not released, I believe that it is very significant, and possibly explosive, in terms of response from potential jury pool.

But, of course, this is speculation. We may find out, if there is ever a trial.

MOO

But boy, they sure were quick to release the information about the marijuana in his apartment - information that could have been highly intimate and embarrassing, given his position at PwC and the community. Oh wait, I guess since he's dead, it doesn't apply? The hypocrisy is astounding.

Although I suppose, @mickey2942, you are correct that it could be explosive, not just in terms of the jury pool, but in starting protests all over again, and god forbid you have that. Methinks they just want this to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle