Found Deceased OR - David Yaghmourian, 30, injured AZ hiker, Timberline Trail, Mt. Hood, Clackamas Co., 8 Oct 2018

Pink, he did make a wrong turn, or at least, he reversed his direction...

Deputies said it appeared he made a wrong turn and began gaining elevation. His friend told investigators that Yaghmourian had a knee injury and it was easier for him to hike uphill rather than downhill.
Body found on Mount Hood identified as missing hiker

That doesn’t even make sense to me. It puts more pressure on the knee to go up in elevation than down. Why does this not surprise me? What is this friend trying to hide? Did he realize after the fact that he shouldn’t have left him behind and made David’s exhaustion and injury seem less concerning? MOO

Pink, he did make a wrong turn, or at least, he reversed his direction...

Deputies said it appeared he made a wrong turn and began gaining elevation. His friend told investigators that Yaghmourian had a knee injury and it was easier for him to hike uphill rather than downhill.
Body found on Mount Hood identified as missing hiker
It’s difficult to understand why he would go back uphill. He couldn’t have actually believed he would get to the lodge by reversing direction? If he was tired and his knee was hurting, and he wanted to camp there, why not set the tent up at the lower elevation he was supposedly left behind at??? Jmo

It’s difficult to understand why he would go back uphill. He couldn’t have actually believed he would get to the lodge by reversing direction? If he was tired and his knee was hurting, and he wanted to camp there, why not set the tent up at the lower elevation he was supposedly left behind at??? Jmo

My honest opinion is he was up there the whole time and was never where his friend claimed he was. I believe the hiking companion made it up to make himself look better. Who leaves an injured friend behind on a mountain hike? MOO

That doesn’t even make sense to me. It puts more pressure on the knee to go up in elevation than down. Why does this not surprise me? What is this friend trying to hide? Did he realize after the fact that he shouldn’t have left him behind and made David’s exhaustion and injury seem less concerning? MOO
I'm sorry, but I'm not so sure about that. My SIL just had a knee replacement and has found that going up her stairs is much less painful than coming down. I've never had a knee injury, so I can't say personally, but perhaps it makes a difference as to the type of knee injury? Anyway, I found this which seems to support what my SIL has described: Does your knee hurt going downstairs? - Physiotherapy Works

I don't like the fact that his friend left him either, but I haven't heard enough of the circumstances to accuse him of hiding something. It doesn't sound like there was any foul play involved, although they don't say. Hopefully, we'll hear more tomorrow.

Incidentally, I grew up near Mt. Hood and spent a lot of time at Timberline and other nearby ski areas, lakes, etc. It is a very rugged terrain and these trails include steep inclines, drop-offs, and areas where you have to cross water. It sounds like he made it to the 37-mile mark where the Timberline Trail meets the Pacific Crest Trail and may have headed back to the Eastern Fork to set up his tent. ? Timberline Trail around Mount Hood Hike - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington

I may age myself a bit, but have you ever seen the movie The Shining with Jack Nicholson? It was filmed at Timberline Lodge. Just a bit of trivia...;) There are beautiful views from the lodge and it's a popular wedding venue. https://.timberlinelodge.com/mountain/summer-activities#pct

MOO

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm not so sure about that. My SIL just had a knee replacement and has found that going up her stairs is much less painful than coming down. I've never had a knee injury, so I can't say personally, but perhaps it makes a difference as to the type of knee injury? Anyway, I found this which seems to support what my SIL has described: Does your knee hurt going downstairs? - Physiotherapy Works

I don't like the fact that his friend left him either, but I haven't heard enough of the circumstances to accuse him of hiding something. I wish they would have told us whether it looked like foul play or not. Hopefully, we'll hear more tomorrow.

Incidentally, I grew up near Mt. Hood and spent a lot of time at Timberline and other nearby ski areas, lakes, etc. It is a very rugged terrain and these trails include steep inclines, drop-offs, and areas where you have to cross water. It sounds like he made it to the 37-mile mark where the Timberline Trail meets the Pacific Crest Trail and may have headed back to the Eastern Fork to set up his tent. ? Timberline Trail around Mount Hood Hike - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington

I may age myself a bit, but have you ever seen the movie The Shining with Jack Nicholson? It was filmed at Timberline Lodge. Just a bit of trivia...;) There are beautiful views from the lodge and it's a popular wedding venue. https://.timberlinelodge.com/mountain/summer-activities#pct

MOO

I have bad knees and have hiked some tall mountains. It is always easier on my knees to go uphill rather than downhill. Hiking downhill puts much more pressure on my joints.

Here is a link to an article about knees. ...Do Your Knees Hurt When Hiking Downhill? Here's Why.

Thank you both for your insight. I agree it probably makes a difference as to what type a knee injury it is. When I was injured as a soldier I actually had a hurt right knee and hurt left hip. It was easier for me to go downhill.

I still standby the assertion that he wasn’t as close to the lodge as was told when they parted ways. None of this makes any sense to me.

Thank you both for your insight. I agree it probably makes a difference as to what type a knee injury it is. When I was injured as a soldier I actually had a hurt right knee and hurt left hip. It was easier for me to go downhill.

I still standby the assertion that he wasn’t as close to the lodge as was told when they parted ways. None of this makes any sense to me.
It's certainly possible that the friend was incorrect in his estimation of distance.
MOO

It is hard to understand, but if his plan was to set up a tent and rest his knee, I can understand him going back to the camping area. I think there are rules about where you can pitch a tent and the ground at the campsite is cleared.
MOO

I have bad knees and have hiked some tall mountains. It is always easier on my knees to go uphill rather than downhill. Hiking downhill puts much more pressure on my joints.

Here is a link to an article about knees. ...Do Your Knees Hurt When Hiking Downhill? Here's Why.
Same here, both with my back and knee. Much easier to go up hill than down. The lungs, on the other hand, don't always agree with the back and knee.

RIP David.

Same here, both with my back and knee. Much easier to go up hill than down. The lungs, on the other hand, don't always agree with the back and knee.

RIP David.

I must be the anomaly lol.

Regardless, I am so saddened that this happened and wish the outcome had been different. My heart and prayers are with his family and friends. I don’t think his hiking companion did anything to harm him, I just think they made a bad judgment call by separating. ☹️

I don't like the fact that his friend left him either, but I haven't heard enough of the circumstances to accuse him of hiding something. It doesn't sound like there was any foul play involved, although they don't say. Hopefully, we'll hear more tomorrow.

MOO
Totally agree. I’ve had orthopedic problems since the age of three. Going downhill or stairs puts great stress on my knees.

If his "friend" knew going uphill was easier on him due to the injury, then why didn't he begin looking uphill? This is some BS.

Body found on Mount Hood confirmed to be missing hiker from Arizona

A sheriff’s office spokesman said the body was discovered outside of their search area about a half-mile east of Silcox Hut and 1.84 miles northeast and uphill from Timberline Lodge.

Investigators said there is no reason to believe there are any suspicious circumstances regarding Yaghmourian’s death.

Poor man was only 1/2 mile from help. :(The Silcox Hut (mentioned in article) is typically staffed year-round for the numerous skiers, mountain climbers, and hikers that frequent the area. It is a busy spot- warm fire, and lots of beverages to chose from.;) Perhaps he and his friend stopped there earlier, and DY was trying to make it back (closer than the lodge), due to his knee injury?

I cannot imagine how his friend must feel for not staying with him. This would be a horrible thing to live with.:(

I understand that this was probably a terrible accident born of fatal misjudgments. That said, I am disturbed by what seems to be a trend of people going into areas with (lack of or few) supplies, undeveloped skills, and lack of savvy/understanding of how wild these areas are. In this case, his friend was not seeking help but agreeing to meet him later as he was slowing him down. The idea of leaving a person who is hurt with no plan for coming back with help just doesn't make sense. How can the seriousness about the dire consequences of hiking alone be communicated and understood? I am just so surprised.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back