UK UK - Renee, 36, & Andrew MacRae, 3, Inverness Scotland, 12 Nov 1976 *arrest in 2019, killer died*

Quarry search for mum and son missing for 42 years

Renee MacRae and her three-year-old son, Andrew, vanished near Inverness in 1976.

492813-murdered-woman-renee-macrae.jpg

images

A quarry is being searched following the disappearance of a mum and her toddler more than 40 years ago.

Renee MacRae and her three-year-old son, Andrew, vanished near Inverness on November 12, 1976, and her burned out BMW car was later found in a lay-by off the A9.

Police have never made an arrest in connec
tion with the incident and the pair's bodies have never been recovered.

Detectives investigating the disappearance were carrying out searches at Leanach Quarry, Culloden Moor, on Tuesday.

Quarry search for mum and son missing for 42 years

Detectives investigating the disappearance were carrying out searches at Leanach Quarry, Culloden Moor, on Tuesday.

Remind me - has this particular quarry been mentioned previously? I know there was talk of their being disposed of in a quarry but can't remember if it was ever named.

Remind me - has this particular quarry been mentioned previously? I know there was talk of their being disposed of in a quarry but can't remember if it was ever named.

I see it first time mentioned as Leanach Quarry, Culloden Moor location. Not too sure if names of location were mentioned in already timed out articles but yes, would be good to know if it is the same place or new place they are searching at.

Police issue fresh pictures and appeal in the mysterious case of Renee and Andrew MacRae, who went missing more than 40 years ago

Renee, whose real name is Christine, and her three-year-old son Andrew have not been seen since November 12, 1976

macrae-550x372.jpg

Police have today issued a picture of Andrew, on what would have been his 45th birthday, and a picture of a pram similar to the one that was with them when they went missing.

The pram, which was never recovered, is described as being a Silver Cross Carnival collapsible, chrome plated frame with a blue canvas cover.

Officers are keen people cast their minds back and think about whether they saw a pram such as this around the time of Renee and Andrew’s disappearance or since.

The investigation into the disappearance of Andrew and his mother has been ongoing since their BMW car was discovered near Dalmagarry south of Inverness.

Officers from Police Scotland’s Major Investigations Team and Marine Investigation Unit recently spent several days at Leanach Quarry near Culloden as part of these ongoing inquiries.

Police issue fresh pictures and appeal in the mysterious case of Renee and Andrew MacRae, who went missing more than 40 years ago | Press and Journal

Police are continuing a search of a disused flooded quarry as part of an ongoing inquiry into an Inverness mother and son's disappearance in 1976.

Renee and Andrew MacRae, who was three, vanished on 12 November.

Mrs MacRae's burned-out BMW car was discovered that night in a lay-by on the A9 south of Inverness.

Police using remotely operated underwater kit were at the flooded Leanach Quarry at Culloden Moor on the eastern side of Inverness on Tuesday.

The officers have returned to continue their examination of the quarry, which was searched in the months following the disappearance of the mother and son.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Det Insp Brian Gedde said: "As part of the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Renee and Andrew MacRae, officers are visiting key areas of interest in order to establish any further opportunities to progress enquiries.

"The passage of time is no barrier to the investigation of unresolved incidents of this nature."
Police return to quarry in 1970s case

To mark his 45th birthday, officers have released a photograph of Andrew and an image of the Silver Cross pram owned by his mother.

Mrs MacRae's burned-out car was found in a lay-by on the A9 on the night they went missing.

The new appeal comes after police spent several days searching a flooded quarry near Inverness.

Leanach Quarry at Culloden Moor was searched in the months following the disappearance of the mother and son.
Police have now renewed their appeal for information and issued images of Andrew and a Silver Cross Carnival collapsible pram, which had a chrome plated frame and a blue canvas cover.

Police Scotland said it was keen for people to "cast their minds back" and think about whether they saw the pram at the time of the mother and son's disappearance, or since.
Missing boy pram appeal on 45th birthday

upload_2018-10-11_16-33-25.jpeg
upload_2018-10-11_16-33-45.jpeg
upload_2018-10-11_16-34-14.jpeg

Dalmagarry quarry is near to where the car was found (about 14 miles from inverness) and has been searched a few times before and most of the press references to "the quarry" mean this one.
Leanach Quarry is only 4-5 miles from Inverness. It has been searched before:
PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Thanks for the clarification. It makes you wonder if the police have had a new tip off about Leanach Quarry that brings them to it again at this stage.

Police Scotland also constantly review advances in forensic science and review existing evidence in order to identify any new available investigative opportunities which may have arisen over the years.

Detective Inspector Brian Geddes said: "At the heart of this case is a family who are quite rightly seeking closure.

"They have lost a young mother and her son who have not been seen for more than four decades.

"Andrew was just a young child when he disappeared with his mother and today would have turned 45-years-old.

"Investigations such as this do not end until we can offer answers to the family of Renee and Andrew and we maintain close ties with them.
http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-happening/news/2018/October/renee-andrew-macrae-inverness-1976

Thanks for the clarification. It makes you wonder if the police have had a new tip off about Leanach Quarry that brings them to it again at this stage.

That was my initial thoughts too when I heard that they were searching Leanach again. There was a TV interview with a police spokesman on local news who claimed there was no new information and it was routine for them to revisit previously searched areas and to reevaluate evidence.

There's some thought that the bodies could be buried under the road surface on a bridge on the A9 (link: A9 roadworks could uncover bodies of Renee MacRae and her son, claims forensic expert )
This bridge is due to be removed during the dualling of the A9 in the next few years (the timescale of 2017 mentioned in the link above has obviously slipped). I wonder if the police are ruling out other locations to see if an investigation during the demolition of the bridge would be worthwhile?

There was a TV interview with a police spokesman on local news who claimed there was no new information and it was routine for them to revisit previously searched areas and to reevaluate evidence.

Oh noes - Suffolk Police will start digging up that bloody landfill site again in about 30 years time. With any luck I will be gaga by then.

There's some thought that the bodies could be buried under the road surface on a bridge on the A9 (link: A9 roadworks could uncover bodies of Renee MacRae and her son, claims forensic expert )
This bridge is due to be removed during the dualling of the A9 in the next few years (the timescale of 2017 mentioned in the link above has obviously slipped). I wonder if the police are ruling out other locations to see if an investigation during the demolition of the bridge would be worthwhile?

I'd read about the buried-under-the-road theory and was waiting for further information on the planned roadworks. I'm not sure how you justify returning to previously searched areas, given the cost of this sort of search, unless you have new leads.

Elite team to review MacRae mystery
POLICE have re-interviewed witnesses in the 43-year mystery surrounding the disappearance of mother-of-two Renee MacRae and her three-year-old son Andrew.

Officers from Police Scotland’s major investigations team are making an attempt to crack the case and find the bodies of the mother and son who they believe have been the victims of foul play.

Quarry to be emptied in search for mother and son missing since 1976

A forensic search of Leanach Quarry is expected to start in the coming days, the latest attempt in an investigation spanning more than four decades and now led by Police Scotland’s major investigation team.

Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Brian Geddes said the quarry had previously been deemed too dangerous to search using divers, hence the decision to pump water completely from the site.

He hailed the move as a “significant development” in the case.

That was my initial thoughts too when I heard that they were searching Leanach again. There was a TV interview with a police spokesman on local news who claimed there was no new information and it was routine for them to revisit previously searched areas and to reevaluate evidence.

This led him to two men who worked on the A9 in 1976 and told him the surface of the bridge foundations had been left “disturbed” on the night of the disappearances.”

Never heard this before either ? Thoughts if true?

Quarry in unsolved murder case drained

Det Insp Brian Geddes, of Police Scotland, said an "incredible" and "tireless" operation to drain the quarry meant detectives could start the "detailed searching phase" of the operation.

He said: "Pumping the water clear was a huge challenge, but we have made fantastic progress in a very short time.

"Silt and debris from the bottom of the quarry are now being removed by lorry to undergo forensic tests at another location.

"The whole team remains extremely confident that vital evidence we believe was hidden in Leanach will be recovered in the coming weeks.

"I want to reassure the family and friends of Renee and Andrew that we will not be leaving here until every last inch is searched."

Bones and bits of a pushchair (for those in the US, that's a stroller) have been found by police investigating the 40-year disappearance of an Scottish mum and her three-year-old son.

...SBM

After removing water, The Times reported objects recovered from the quarry included wheels from a pushchair and bones.

It's believed the metal parts are found to be very similar to the make of buggy used by Renee.

The bones have been examined and only animal parts have been identified so far, but investigators are still checking for human remains.

Human remains found at Scottish quarry 40 years after mum and son went missing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back