GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next defense witness is Lonny Bramzon. Before the defense calls him, they stipulate that a print out they have in evidence is an extraction of the contents of the flip phone that DW was using on 5/21.
  • Lonny Bramzon is a criminal defense laywer. He was contacted by DW via phone re potential representation. Plan was to turn himself in with an attorney - immediate timeframe. Pipe shows LB the report-extraction of flip phone. Outgoing calls to LB phone at 1:19 PM, 1:40 PM. 6:14 PM text from LB "Let me know." Outgoing calls to LB 7:04PM, 8:51 PM, 10:21 PM, 10:23 PM. 10:25 PM text to LB phone "on my way." 10:31 PM LB texts "I'm heading out." Outgoing text from flip phone to LB "My call is not going." 10:46 PM 4 minutes, 43 seconds last call to LB. LB asked for money order payment. LB may have spoken to someone other than DW - may have been a brother, cousin - does not remember.
  • Prosecution - asks LB if he has multiple phones. LB says yes. Pros - "ever killed anyone?" LB says no.
Trial to resume 10/17 at 10AM.

• Govt told him they wouldn't prosecute him for renting the room, but got no other promises from govt. GW had heard news about murders before he got in the car with Darrell on 5/21.
  • On 5/21, Darrell asked for a favor, and GW did the favor for Darrell - not for DW. DW was in the back seat of the car and GW didn't speak to him, didn't want to know anything. GW secured the room using his real name, real phone number. Darrell drove GW back to his house and it hits GW what he has done, and he is upset. GW says Darrell keeps saying, "It's my brother, it's my brother."
Bach asks if he thought he would be charged with a crime. GW doesn't know, says he didn't do anything wrong.
^^snips
CRIME: Harboring a fugitive
This all seems like an elaborate scheme if Darrell had nothing to hide.
GW apparently didn't call the cops to admit this 'ooopsie' when he got "back to his house and it hits GW what he has done, and he is upset."

Y’ know, thinking about DW’s van, which he apparently had towed for reasons including that it had expired tags / no registration & he couldn’t risk driving it out of DC .... why on earth would his brothers want that van, of all possible vehicles, to assist them in robbing the S home of none of its valuables?

The longer DW’s idiotic story sits around, the more it stinks....

Y’ know, thinking about DW’s van, which he apparently had towed for reasons including that it had expired tags / no registration & he couldn’t risk driving it out of DC .... why on earth would his brothers want that van, of all possible vehicles, to assist them in robbing the S home of none of its valuables?

The longer DW’s idiotic story sits around, the more it stinks....

So they could blame DW??

Examining all the possibilities.

JMO

"Jury returns and Pipe questions GW. Asks if he told Bach the truth at their first meeting. Was he untruthful about anything? GW doesn't remember. reviews GJ transcript that says he admitted he was nervous, worried and untruthful. GW says he does not remember this testimony." from verified expert member patriciah. Is this an admission of lying to a Grand Jury? Perjury?

"Jury returns and Pipe questions GW. Asks if he told Bach the truth at their first meeting. Was he untruthful about anything? GW doesn't remember. reviews GJ transcript that says he admitted he was nervous, worried and untruthful. GW says he does not remember this testimony." from verified expert member patriciah. Is this an admission of lying to a Grand Jury? Perjury?
It was "prior to his GJ testimony" - -
Redirect - Pipe asks if GW was honest with Bach when he met with her prior to his GJ testimony. He doesn't remember. Pipe asks if Bach asked him other questions - Bach objects.
^^snip

True. Probably if he hadn't been so cooperative throughout they may have charged him with something.

Although I read today where the prosecutor really thinks he did the right thing.

It seem to imply what he told them from the beginning was very helpful concerning the case against DW.

They seemed highly incensed that DW tried to throw his half brother under the bus.
Darrell is no choir boy, and I've long suspected that he's an informant, and that may be why prosecution appears to be protecting him. He's an admitted gang member, and the caravan girls he used to assist with the money orders allegedly went to see "Goo" to purchase weed. More about Darrell and his gang, arrests, etc. is linked in the earlier pages of this thread.

Darrell is no choir boy, and I've long suspected that he's an informant, and that may be why prosecution appears to be protecting him. He's an admitted gang member, and the caravan girls he used to assist with the money orders allegedly went to see "Goo" to purchase weed. More about Darrell and his gang, arrests, etc. is linked in the earlier pages of this thread.

Do you think Darrell will testify? It’s not sounding like it but there’s been so much talk about him, won’t it look bad to the jury if he doesn’t testify at this point?

Has it been divulged in court if DarrW has a vehicle and the type? I don’t remember anything.
TIA

JMO

Do you think Darrell will testify? It’s not sounding like it but there’s been so much talk about him, won’t it look bad to the jury if he doesn’t testify at this point?
I do not. He did not go before the grand jury where he had nothing to lose, and I don't think prosecution will risk putting him on the stand for rebuttal. DW testimony was complete fantasy, and I think jury was annoyed with DW. We can't forget that these men are brothers, and it's one thing to cooperate with LE to turn your brother over to authorities, and another to take an oath against him. (It reminds me of Indiana Mum Donna Hagan that testified for prosecution turning the trial sideways when she said that her son shot his ex-girlfriend by accident. She believed saying it was accident would keep jury from convicting her son of murder -- instead she ruined the defense and cost her son 60 year prison sentence).

DrlW gang and drugs:
Gang Member Arrested for Intent to Distribute Marijuana

Darrell is no choir boy, and I've long suspected that he's an informant, and that may be why prosecution appears to be protecting him....

You may be right re informant! At this point really ??? why prosecution wouldn’t have even tried to use him - that could explain it.

Btw per recent podcast- they said DrrW was interviewed for several hours before being released after he was taken in at DW’s arrest, and he was fully helpful & forthcoming in that interview. They also mentioned possibility of tapes of that interview being shown, but I don’t know if that was just the hosts speculating or what.

DrrW is no choirboy until you compare him to DW! DrrW lives in stability with his mother and sisters, has maintained loyal friendships since childhood, at least makes some effort at legit work and seems to work hard at his weed business. Meanwhile DW is about as marginal a figure as you can get - no home or even family members willing to provide a stable place to stay, no friends or relationships outside of online courting of his Bklyn GF, no ID (why not?!!), no attempts at legit work or a home of his own even possible w/o ID, no registration on his van, not even a legit presence in the country via green card tho apparently all that would’ve taken was filling out an application.... what is wrong with this guy??

It is not known for certain whether Darrell testified to the Grand Jury, correct?
If a witness doesn't testify at trial, is Grand Jury testimony kept forever confidential?
snips:

Do you think Darrell will testify?
I do not. He did not go before the grand jury where he had nothing to lose, and I don't think prosecution will risk putting him on the stand for rebuttal.

I don't recall reading that Darrell testified to Grand Jury. Stefon did testify to Grand Jury.
You only know that Stefon testified before the GJ because he testified at trial and thus his previously sealed testimony would have been ordered unsealed by the court when the government had to release it to the defense under discovery rules.

The USAO is, of late, releasing GJ testimony of expected witnesses at trial much earlier than they used to. But that timing is mostly voluntary on their part. There may be GJ witnesses whose testimony will not be released until they actually do testify at trial. Any Grand Jury information as to who testified is also under seal, as is testimony.

So we don't know whether Darrell testified before the GJ or not so far. If they use him for a rebuttal witness then at some point (maybe not until after he testifies), any GJ testimony will be turned over to the defense. The defense would obviously want it before that so they can have time to incorporate it into their cross of Darrell and investigate if necessary.

You may be right re informant! At this point really ??? why prosecution wouldn’t have even tried to use him - that could explain it.

Btw per recent podcast- they said DrrW was interviewed for several hours before being released after he was taken in at DW’s arrest, and he was fully helpful & forthcoming in that interview. They also mentioned possibility of tapes of that interview being shown, but I don’t know if that was just the hosts speculating or what.

DrrW is no choirboy until you compare him to DW! DrrW lives in stability with his mother and sisters, has maintained loyal friendships since childhood, at least makes some effort at legit work and seems to work hard at his weed business. Meanwhile DW is about as marginal a figure as you can get - no home or even family members willing to provide a stable place to stay, no friends or relationships outside of online courting of his Bklyn GF, no ID (why not?!!), no attempts at legit work or a home of his own even possible w/o ID, no registration on his van, not even a legit presence in the country via green card tho apparently all that would’ve taken was filling out an application.... what is wrong with this guy??
DW’s green card was expired. He was working on renewing it, but I believe the application was returned due to some question or error. I don’t know what the issue was but it’s actually pretty common that this happens. His stepmother was helping him with the renewal application. He couldn’t get a drivers license or other ID because of expired green card.

It is not known for certain whether Darrell testified to the Grand Jury, correct?
If a witness doesn't testify at trial, is Grand Jury testimony kept forever confidential?
snips:
Agree - speculation by reporters that Darrell did not testify before grand jury. Good recap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas