does anyone use a program for all of their websleuth research?

Ag33

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Most of you can all relate to my interest in following and researching crime cases. I am wondering if anybody can recommend a program or data base that you may be using to store all the results and information per case you may be interested in?
I would love to manage my sleuthing better.

Any recommendations of programs that work for you would be great.

Cheers

Programs not per say, I usual use "the Lost and Found website" "Doe Network" then I use a facebook search thru Missing report per individual state for the people not listed on Namus. Reverse Tineye does help and ofcourse Namus and I would sign up so you can see rule outs.

Programs not per say, I usual use "the Lost and Found website" "Doe Network" then I use a facebook search thru Missing report per individual state for the people not listed on Namus. Reverse Tineye does help and ofcourse Namus and I would sign up so you can see rule outs.
Thanks for that :)

I look to see if there are any county sites that have public records. FB gives up some information as well as people searches. Some of the people finders are more up-to-date than others so go to as many as you can find.

Hi Guys,

Most of you can all relate to my interest in following and researching crime cases. I am wondering if anybody can recommend a program or data base that you may be using to store all the results and information per case you may be interested in?
I would love to manage my sleuthing better.

Any recommendations of programs that work for you would be great.

Cheers
I use OneNote. See the post linked below for how I organize my information. I love how I can easily collapse/expand things like bulleted lists. So I will keep all my sections collapsed, and say I find something to add to my timeline, I expand my Timeline section and add it, then collapse it again. So it helps with quick navigation and organization. And you can open and update things from different devices (PC, tablet, phone although the mobile applications have some limited features compared to PC). BTW I have only used it this extensively on a handful of cases where there are lots of details to keep straight.

Example Case Summary

I just use plain old notebook and pen. My advice, whatever system you use, is to start your notes early in a case you think will be a big one. Cases get complicated and it's easier to build from the start rather then re-create once the case has gone on for awhile. BTDT. ;)

jmo

I use OneNote. See the post linked below for how I organize my information. I love how I can easily collapse/expand things like bulleted lists. So I will keep all my sections collapsed, and say I find something to add to my timeline, I expand my Timeline section and add it, then collapse it again. So it helps with quick navigation and organization. And you can open and update things from different devices (PC, tablet, phone although the mobile applications have some limited features compared to PC). BTW I have only used it this extensively on a handful of cases where there are lots of details to keep straight.

Example Case Summary
Thank you :)

I write notes on the back of my hands, and wrists. Black Bic pen.

Sharpie is the way to go...... it can also be a tool of mass destruction when someone wakes you up at night snoring
bb916669_laugh4.gif

Example Case Summary

Very nice example Whiskers TY going to dabble into it a bit this week. I use excel and word, recently started building an Access database will see how it goes....

Again thank you for your input very well appreciated

When I research things, I usually start a new "notebook stack" in Evernote, or a whole new project in Scrivener.

Evernote lets me make notes much like Word does, and it is entirely web-based; it's main selling point for me (for all that I use the free version) is its web clipper functionality that lets me clip and save webpages in part or in full, videos, pictures, etc - and make notes of them; it's almost like a digital scrapbook sans the pretty decals and such. Very useful or compiling news stories and tidbits and saving things from the Internet as you go about browsing them. It's also got a very handy smartphone app that lets you browse and edit your notes on your phone and tablet, too.

Scrivener, by turn, is a separate desktop application, and very useful for compiling data and organising it into notebooks, pinboards and binders of stuff. It lets me import PDFs, image files, sound and video clips, plain ol' text files, and so on. Fabulous for any kind of data management from a novel you're working on to keeping a good recipe file. Scrivener isn't free, but there's a demo you can try before committing to it, and you absolutely should give it a whirl before buying it; there's a learning curve, but this is a serious workhorse application with a lot of functionality.

(Also hi, new user here, hopefully I didn't make an absolute pig's ear of the formatting here. :))

When I research things, I usually start a new "notebook stack" in Evernote, or a whole new project in Scrivener.

Scrivener, by turn, is a separate desktop application, and very useful for compiling data and organising it into notebooks, pinboards and binders of stuff. It lets me import PDFs, image files, sound and video clips, plain ol' text files, and so on. Fabulous for any kind of data management from a novel you're working on to keeping a good recipe file. Scrivener isn't free, but there's a demo you can try before committing to it, and you absolutely should give it a whirl before buying it; there's a learning curve, but this is a serious workhorse application with a lot of functionality.

Great idea about Scrivener. I own it and yes, there is a learning curve. For those who don't want to/can't afford the cost, there is a very similar free program called yWriter. I actually prefer this over Scrivener and use it for story writing I do as a stress-reliever.
yWriter by Spacejock Software download page (it's near the bottom). There is a page where you can preview what it look like here. I have only used yWriter but you may have some needs for some of the other downloads on that page. I like yWriter better than Scrivener due to the tabs for characters/locations/items. I have only started "sleuthing" but to me this is a great way to keep track of different persons of interest, locations and specific items and to refer back to them easily.

I also use OneNote (for work) and would vote for it too. As @Whiskers16 states, it is great for organization. You can snip pics and copy & paste info without worrying about losing info due to saving (it automatically does it). You can make up lots of notebooks and lots of pages/subpages/sub-sub pages in tabs in the notebooks. Searching is easy and so is printing. It excels at being able to throw things in it, on the fly and then being able to tidy up later. Microsoft should really spend more time supporting this great program.
Impressed with Whisker16's example (and taking note of the organizational style).

HTH

I use a lot of notes and my desk shows it! When I archive a case though, I use photobucket. It can be free, but I subscribe for extra storage (maybe $75/year - ish, but you can start lower).
The way I do it is more unusual than I think you'd need though, because I take a news story and clip out all the stuff thats annoying (ads, etc) and make it a more interesting place to read an article... PLUS... it doesn't get deleted by 404 error on the news site when the story fades. I have 150+ case albums, some from a long time ago.

If anyone cares to look for example, you can just look at my latest uploads page. amanda reckonwith on Photobucket
For specific cases, go to "Library". amanda reckonwith's Library

I mostly do cases on request now because I don't see much increase in views, but if something gets me, I will archive it.
Anyone who has a request, just message me.

I prefer Evernote, the web clipper is a fantastic tool for this sort of research. I believe most note taking software would be adequate, use the one you are most familiar with to avoid having to learn a new program. More time for sleuthing!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back