AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE did NOT say "she wasn't abducted". He was asked questions and he said in part:

"I don’t have some of those answers that I want to give you, I want to give the family," Fitzgerald said.
What we know about the disappearance of Jayme Closs, the Wisconsin girl missing since her parents' deaths

I'm trying to find a transcript of the rest of the presser where he said he could not classify it as an abduction-- it was in answer to a specific question, but the above line was the gist of what he was saying IMO. Not calling it an abduction for legal purposes doesn't mean they don't think that's what could have happened. MOO.

ETA: here is the video of the presser: WKOW 27
I'm not able to watch video right now where I am but if anyone wants to watch and transcribe word-for-word of that exchange with the reporter, that would probably be helpful for clearing this up. TIA.

This is where I got this understanding. We all interpret things differently. Please do not yell at me for interpreting this differently than you did.

"Sheriff Fitzgerald said he could not classify this as an abduction, as there's no information to support that."

Jayme Closs disappearance: What we know

I'm sorry but I just don't see a love interest there at all. There is absolutely no indication of this.
I agree. Especially since she is described as being quiet and shy. In my experience, kids who are in middle school say they are "dating" if one asks another one out, many times in a text or through a friend, and then they talk on the phone or text for a few days or weeks but never actually do anything together, until they get tired of it or someone else " asks them out." The only exceptions are those very rare situations when a girl is very mature for their age, and dates an older boy in high school. But Jayme does not fit this description in my opinion.

If she left willingly with the perp (boyfriend) she would still be in danger but not abducted.

After her parents were murdered? How and why would that be willingly at her age? Maybe she wouldn't put up a fight after that because she was scared for her life. But I have no reason to believe Jayme would willingly choose to leave with someone who had a gun and murdered her parents-- "boyfriend" or not. If she left without a struggle it was probably because she wanted to stay alive. MOO.

If it’s online only then LE will find something soon. There is no way a 13 year old from a small town in Wisconsin is smart enough to hide her entire digital history from FBI tech experts.

Why do you get the feeling she doesn’t have a lot of friends?

If they don't have the phone she used to communicate with, then that could pose a problem. I would think that if she just wanted to run away, then she would have just done that.

I'm wondering that maybe she tried to end the online relationship, and the perpetrator became enraged and decided to travel to her house, murder her parents, and kidnap her.

This is where I got this understanding. We all interpret things differently. Please do not yell at me for interpreting this differently than you did.

"Sheriff Fitzgerald said he could not classify this as an abduction, as there's no information to support that."

Jayme Closs disappearance: What we know

I did not yell anything. Not sure why you would think that I did? I was clarifying what was actually said by the sheriff. Thank you for finding the quote. As you can see, that is different from saying "she was not abducted". I hope it has been cleared up now. :)

After her parents were murdered? How and why would that be willingly at her age? Maybe she wouldn't put up a fight after that because she was scared for her life. But I have no reason to believe Jayme would willingly choose to leave with someone who had a gun and murdered her parents-- "boyfriend" or not. If she left without a struggle it was probably because she wanted to stay alive. MOO.

I think andreww means that she did not have a gun to her back and she verbally agreed to leave. Of course, we all know that she cannot leave and it would be classed as an abduction despite what she said, due to her age.

Thinking out loud...what would be the motive for abducting her if her parents were killed first? If sexual, why not just rape her there at the house...why take her? Maybe because she called 911 and ruined the chance? Maybe this is in revenge to a living family member? Otherwise, why abduct? It won’t hurt her parents, they are dead. Maybe to rape and kill later? It’s very strange
One answer would be b/c the abductor wants to possess the victim. Look at the men who've abducted women and hole them up in shipping containers (happened in SC recently) or chain them up elsewhere for sexual pleasure. Odd but it happens. Or thinking they can enjoy a life elsewhere under false identities. Bad guys/gals sometimes aren't the smartest in the bunch so my guess is that, if this is the case, he'll be captured eventually.

It doesn't have to be FB, IG, or Snapchat for teens. My daughter met someone through her X Box live. I intervened when he became violent in calls to her and words over the x box and finally had to have LE intervene in his home state of Washington and my state of Missouri in order to get him ot leave her alone. We had a LONG talk about giving out personal information.

If it’s online only then LE will find something soon. There is no way a 13 year old from a small town in Wisconsin is smart enough to hide her entire digital history from FBI tech experts.

There was an article that said the family was relatively unknown in the area, that they were very close to their family though. Pair that with everyone saying she was really quiet, the sparse social media (from what is public), just makes me feel that way.

These are the bullet-points
  • Sheriff Fitzgerald said he could not classify this as an abduction, as there's no information to support that at this time but is saying she is missing and in danger.
  • Fitzgerald said there's no credible information that this is a sex trafficking case.
  • He also admitted this is a tough case and they are not as far as he'd like to be in the investigation. "I'm struggling with this, because I don't have some of the answers that I want to give you and give the family," he said.
  • Fitzgerald said more than 100 active law enforcement is working the case currently. Updates will be sent via the Barron County Sheriff's Department or the FBI social media channels.
  • The community is not needed to conduct searches at this point, Fitzgerald said, but the tipline is the best direct source for the public to relay pertinent information in this case.
  • Jayme Closs disappearance: What we know
Not arguing, just posting.
Chi
That last little bullet point bugs me..No need to conduct searches leads me to believe they know WAY more than what they are saying they do. Being time is of the essence I would think if they had no idea what or where they would be asking for help or conducting these searches

I did not yell anything. Not sure why you would think that I did? I was clarifying what was actually said by the sheriff. Thank you for finding the quote. As you can see, that is different from saying "she was not abducted". I hope it has been cleared up now. :)

The capitals is why. That's what I do to DH when I am mad at him ;) j/k

I can see that the wording is different, but I was trying to convey that saying that gave me that impression. It was the way it was interpreted by me.

Agree. I do think they likely know who she is with though. That’s why the community isn’t in immediate danger, no search parties, not many details being released. I think they know who but not where

I sure wish we had more info, all these different types of guesses of what is currently happening or has already happened are running thru my head. I really like supportive facts. Whoever did this how can they live with themselves.

I think the sheriff is just being very careful and professional and not confirming anything he doesn’t know is a fact yet. So even if they both appear to have been killed with a gun, that’s not a fact until the autopsy says so. He’s not going to say it’s an abduction because he can’t prove it, even though I think he believes it is.

I agree. Especially since she is described as being quiet and shy. In my experience, kids who are in middle school say they are "dating" if one asks another one out, many times in a text or through a friend, and then they talk on the phone or text for a few days or weeks but never actually do anything together, until they get tired of it or someone else " asks them out." The only exceptions are those very rare situations when a girl is very mature for their age, and dates an older boy in high school. But Jayme does not fit this description in my opinion.
'Quiet' and `shy' could also mean low self-esteem, which makes her a prime target for someone to take advantage of her (ie online) if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305