GUILTY KS - Evan Brewer, 3, Wichita, 6 July 2017

Thank you MsJosie - I haven't found tweeters for this one.

Keep up the updates! :D I'll be reading here!

Welcome Niner and Perfecting Pink ....I am very surprised this is not a popular trial in the area.

Everyone in the area knew that Evan Brewer is the grandson of Wichita’s past mayor, this was from past media comments. Although we do not live in Wichita, husband has met him several times. He is very nice and never once brought up the tragedy as it was under investigation.

I hope through this trial that something is done about CPS here....no child should have to suffer.

I will be watching for tweets.....I have never tweeted and Right now I cannot try.....I have three weeks left to finish an American Indian Dance Regalia....sewing sewing sewing. My few breaks are reading WS!

The news in the area to follow are
KFDI....radio
KWCH...TV news
KAKE...TV news
Wichita Eagle Newspaper
And
KSN...TV news, but I always have a problem with their site

Anyone of the sites can be tweeting but usually I see it on the noon or 6pm news.

Maybe on The other media sites, we do not use here, there may be tweets...

Tuesday, Oct. 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9am CT) - KS – Evan Brewer (3) (July 7, 2017; found encased in concrete Sept. 2, 2017) – *Stephen M. Bodine (40) (BF) indicted (12/5/17) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder & 1 count of felony child abuse & 1 count of aggravated child endangerment & 1 count of aggravated kidnapping. Indicted (11/7/17) with 1 count of aggravated assault & interference with parental custody & criminal damage to property (against Evan’s father); plead not guilty; $500K bond.
5/30/18: Trial was delayed from 5/20/18.
10/12/18 Update: Motion hearing 10/12: Motion in Limine. Motion for admission of evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 60-455. State's Moiton requesting jury to view evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 22-3418. Motion for Jackson v. Denno hearing. Motion to suppress all pre-miranda statements, ante mortem photos, to limit photo evidence. State's 2nd motion to endorse. Change of venue.
10/15/18 Update: Court site says trial starts 10/15.
10/15/18 Update Day 1: No updates available.
*Miranda R. Miller (36) “mom” charged (11/7/17) with aggravated interference with child custody; on 12/5/17 charged with 1st degree murder & felony child abuse; plead not guilty. $500K bond.
4/16/18 update Miller took plea deal – plead guilty to 2nd degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, abuse & aggravate endangerment of child. Will testify against Bodine. No sentencing date available.

Okay...I am looking Niner...

I was on the Court Docket Site and then went to next page and got nothing. They may be downloading more info. Will try and stay awake to check again. ...it’s 337am central time USA....right now....back to looking unless I fall asleep

So they have a jury picked yesterday? And opening statements today?
Wondering why no reporter is following this case - in the court room??!!

Niner the only thing I can think of, is people are trying to keep this low keyed because it was the grandson of a past mayor. “They”, media and lawyers, are trying to respect the family? It is very odd that this is so quiet after the last little boy that was murdered, Lucas Hernadez. Both are horrific.

I just watched our KAKE 430pm news and they said that there will release more info on the day in court...so that means either 5pm or 6pm central time news. Will watch and report.

Also as I suspected, Wichita Eagle, is reporting on A social media site. They may have someone tweeting. Found that searching for updates. However I seldom get on social,media and when I do I do not go to news sites, only for pictures and beading information. I also did not want to pay for the monthly news site to read it on the computer....sorry folks $12.99 a month is not high but I just did not want to spend it for “maybe” information.

Will report back soon.

KAKE News Oct 16,2018 5:00 pm

Stephen Bodine Appeared in court in pants and white button shirt, short hair and glasses.

Opening statements went over how and where body was found....in a concrete slab (post?) because home owner called them.

Will watch KWCH at 530 pm to see what they say.

Rachel Skyler KWCH at 6pm

Opening statements by both sides this morning and also Carl Brewer, Evans dad.

Carlo Evans dad tried for months to get Evan but did not get him. He said their were bruises on him and he questioned about abuse in the mother and her boyfriends home . It was reported.

I will post link when it is available

Testimony begins in child murder trial

KAKE 6pm news with video clip

Bodine charged with murder, 2017, of Evan Brewer.

Miranda Miller said she was forced to abuse her son. She will testify against Bodine

Opening statements today where prosecution went over evidence. Evan Brewer was found in a cement structure at the rented home. The landlord found the structure.

Carlo Brewer, Evans dad said he saw behavior differences in Evan such as aggressiveness....earlier he stated there was bruises on Evan

Court begins again 9am Tuesday.

Found some tweets!

Lily Wu KAKE News
‏Verified account @KansasLily
10h10 hours ago

Judge Steve Ternes is in the courtroom and will be reading instructions to the jury.

Atty Casey Cotton has been appointed to represent Bodine.

Among the charges that Bodine has pleaded not guilty:

First degree murder, child abuse, aggravated endangering a child, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated assault, criminal damage to property
(state says crime occurred between March 1 and Sept 1, 2017)

State begins with prosecutor Justin Edwards saying “Evan Brewer didn’t break.” Bodine claimed Evan and his mom moved away from Kansas. Evan was found in a concrete structure behind Bodine’s house in south Wichita.

Landlord of the house saw a concrete block, “just big enough for the body of a three year old.”

He says the smell was overpowering and knew it was that of a deceased body.

Evan lived in a “home of abuse.” Prosecutor says they’ll see and hear the abuse that the 3yo endured.

Prosecutors says they’ll see a message from Bodine that said Evan’s mom “broke easily” but “Evan is strong willed”

He says Evan likely died at the end of May of 2017.

He says all the physical evidence will prove this case. Evan’s mom will be testifying for the state for a lesser plea. He says she will admit to assisting in the murder of her son.

He says Evan’s biological father didn’t get to see his son starting Feb 2017 because Bodine has strict rules.

The mother will testify that sometimes she’d give the little boy Benadryl to sleep.

She will testify about an incident in the bathroom around the end of May.

Prosecutor says “Evan lived in a home of abuse.” And adds that the mother, who isn’t on trial right now, “She’s done things unforgivable as a mother.”

Defense attorney asks: How did Evan pass away? He says we will hear the mother’s version of what happened and reminds jury that she’s getting a plea deal. He adds that coroner has “Undetermined cause of death” for Evan Brewer.

Witness 1: 911 operator Jury hears 911 call from 3/13/2017 of Carlo Brewer, Evan’s father. He called to report that he wasn’t allowed to see his son.

Witness 2: Carlo Brewer, Evan’s father

He says he was in a relationship with two women around the same time in 2013. Both became pregnant and children are 3 months apart. He married one of the women, but not, Miranda Miller (Evan’s mother).

Feb 2017: Carlo had custody of Evan while Miranda had to take care of her health due to a miscarriage (carrying Bodine’s baby).

Carlo started witnessing a change in behavior such as actions of aggression. Says Evan would choke his other son.

Carlo remembers seeing bruises but thought it was a toddler being a toddler. But when change in behavior started happening, he confronted Miranda.

State wants to admit a timeline that Carlo created with his attorney to show the timeline of events. Defense Atty tries to object. Judge allows the timeline.

In a text message between Carlo and Miranda 2/15/2017- she says Evan will no longer be able to come over because there’s only one “man who’s always been there for me” (referring to Bodine). She informs Carlo that she will be changing Evan’s last name.

Several text message are being shown to the jury between Carlo, Miranda (Evan’s biological parents) and Bodine.

We were just made aware that Bodine’s father was taken into custody for disorderly disturbance.

I bookmarked the tweeter - and will look later for more.

Wednesday, Oct. 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9am CT) - KS – Evan Brewer (3) (July 7, 2017; found encased in concrete Sept. 2, 2017) – *Stephen M. Bodine (40) (BF) indicted (12/5/17) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder & 1 count of felony child abuse & 1 count of aggravated child endangerment & 1 count of aggravated kidnapping. Indicted (11/7/17) with 1 count of aggravated assault & interference with parental custody & criminal damage to property (against Evan’s father); plead not guilty; $500K bond.
5/30/18: Trial was delayed from 5/20/18.
10/12/18 Update: Motion hearing 10/12: Motion in Limine. Motion for admission of evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 60-455. State's Moiton requesting jury to view evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 22-3418. Motion for Jackson v. Denno hearing. Motion to suppress all pre-miranda statements, ante mortem photos, to limit photo evidence. State's 2nd motion to endorse. Change of venue.
10/15/18 Update: Court site says trial starts 10/15.
10/15/18 Update Day 1: Jury selected. Opening statements on 10/16.

10/16/18 Update Day 2: Opening statements. State witnesses: 911 operator, Carlo Brewer, Evan’s father. Trial continues on 10/17.
*Miranda R. Miller (36) “mom” charged (11/7/17) with aggravated interference with child custody; on 12/5/17 charged with 1st degree murder & felony child abuse; plead not guilty. $500K bond.
4/16/18 update Miller took plea deal – plead guilty to 2nd degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, abuse & aggravate endangerment of child. Will testify against Bodine. No sentencing date available.

Sorry - TOTALLY forgot I was going to do these tweets!

Lily Wu KAKE News
‏Verified account @KansasLily
4h4 hours ago

Update: attorneys just entered the courtroom. Witness #2 will continue his continue shortly.
Me: (That would be Carlo Brewer, Evans' father.)

Attorneys are discussing a potential witness who is talking about the case on social media.

Again, all witness are not to discuss this case and are not to talk to media for any interviews. (This is the same for the jury)

Jury is back in the courtroom. Judge apologizes for some legal issues they had to discuss before the trial could continue. Witness 2, Carlo Brewer, will continue testifying this morning.

Previously, text messages showed Carlo wanted custody and visitation with his son, Evan.

Carlo says he asked police for welfare checks of his son and called DCF.

Carlo is getting emotional talking about his son. One time he saw his son, when “he looked terrible.” “Daddy did it,” when Carlo asked Evan what happened to his son’s nose. “I could see him,” wanting Carlo to take Evan. This was the last time he saw his son.

After failing to appear to a second court appearance, Bodine’s ex contacted Carlo. (The ex will be a state witness later in this trial)
The ex says she was worried about Evan.

Carlo says it was “very frustrating” because he kept trying to get legal custody of his son and to check the welfare of his son. It didn’t get resolved until Summer 2017.

Carlo describes the injury he saw on Evan’s face. He describes it as starting from his eyes to the tip of his nose.

He says Miranda turned off the porch light and Carlo didn’t get to be close to his son.

Courts and DCF couldn’t get in touch with Miranda or Evan. Carlo says he tried numerous times to get police to do a welfare check. He had an open case with missing children.
Prosecutors say from March to September 2017 there were 40+ calls to 911 for police to go to that address

Prosecutors say there were numerous entities trying to find Miranda and Evan, and also Bodine. There were numerous attempts of knocking on their south Wichita house door...but no one ever answers the door.

“Where’s my son? Where’s my son?”
Carlo was at the south Wichita house daily to ask for his son.
Carlo would get off work and go to the house to keep asking about his son.

End of August 2017, he saw a white truck with washer/dryer and then a uhaul.
That’s when Carlo became even more worried that they would be moving.
Throughout this time, he never saw his son.

August 11, 2017: Carlo recorded an incident at the house. Bodine got out of house with a hatchet & said to get off his property. And, says he feared for his life but Carlo kept asking “where’s my son?”

Bodine slashed one of the tires and Carlo’s wife was in the car recording this incident.
End of August, Bodine and Miranda were arrested. Carlo says he went inside the house to look for his son. But didn’t find him. Instead, they took all the cell phones, tablets, and cameras to get investigators to look through to find his son.

He didn’t take Miranda’s calendar, in which she writes down details. He didn’t see the concrete structure at that time.

Carlo says landlord allowed him to go to the attic to see if Evan may be hiding there.
Carlo gets a call on September 2, 2017. Police found the concrete structure (in which Evan’s body was encased)
Carlo says Evan became defiant toward the last times he saw him. Says he had outbursts. Yesterday, he recalled the change in behavior towards the end, including trying to choke his brother. He says Evan was normal before the end.

Cross examination of Carlo begins now. Defense attorney Cotton will ask him questions.

link: Lily Wu KAKE News (@KansasLily) | Twitter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back