AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. I think with FBI involved her social media and any cell phone activity would lead to a named person-of-interest within 24-48 hours.
:) Welcome to Websleuths, CuriousMaine! :)
Unfortunately, a POI may not be identified through her cell phone or social media activity if the perp is a stranger. Otherwise yes, a good possibility. Thank you for joining in the discussion.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people asking why anyone would kill the parents if Jayme was the object of the crime. I think killing the parents might be a way to exact control over Jayme.

Alternatively, the killer possibly assumed that the shots wouldn't necessarily be reported by neighbours and that he would have plenty of time to get away with Jayme before her parents' bodies were found. The abortive phone call to 911 meant he had to get away with her much more quickly than he'd anticipated.

I see a lot of people asking why anyone would kill the parents if Jayme was the object of the crime. I think killing the parents might be a way to exact control over Jayme. The attacker would then be able to say, "Remember what I did to your parents? I can do the same or worse to you if you don't follow my instructions. If you do what I say you will be fine."

Obviously, I don't know this is what happened, but from a psychological standpoint it makes sense. Fear can be very effective for control. If you want to keep someone you just abducted for a significant amount of time, control seems like it would be necessary.
This is true. There's also the possibility that the parents weren't originally intended to be killed at all. Could be a situation of the perp going to the home in hopes of taking Jayme but things went very wrong. i will need to find the source again but i thought i had read that possibly James was working late that night and got home between 11:30-12:30? he could've startled the perp

sorry if this was mentioned already, but do we know exactly what J and D did at Jennie-O? i ultimately don't think their jobs have any bearing on the situation but i'm just in case, i'm interested to have that piece of information
iirc The father was a manager, per one of the articles. I'm glad you brought this up.

I was researching a bit about turkey consumption in the USA. 29% of all US turkeys are consumed between T-giving and Christmas representing a whopping 68 million birds. Minnesota is the #1 turkey growing state at 42 million birds, followed by NCarolina 32.5 million, and Arkansas 26.5 million. The USA produces a total of 242.5 million birds per year, and a large amount is for export.

My guess is that the Jennie-O plant is in seasonal crunch mode every year from Labor Day to early December to get all that holiday turkey processed and delivered. Shift work, weekend work and OT may be expected of employees, and the plant may operate 24/7 for 2-3 months annually.

3 thoughts: 1. If the parents work excessive hours in the Fall, that might add to why an only child is with a caretaker, 2. There would be a lot of trucking activity year-round but more so in the Fall bringing turkeys from Minnesota and then taking finished product out to distribution centers, 3. Perhaps not an employee of Jennie-O but someone associated with the industry like a trucker might know the parents are working more hours, might think the father was at the plant that night

JMO

Targeted - vendetta or revenge against the family

This is the only one that makes any sense. My feeling is that it may have been a boyfriend that may have been threatened by the parents. He came back and took care of them and is now on the run with Jayme.
Wow, these threads are flowing fast! Finally caught up and this sums up my theory after reading all...IMO

iirc The father was a manager, per one of the articles. I'm glad you brought this up.

I was researching a bit about turkey consumption in the USA. 29% of all US turkeys are consumed between T-giving and Christmas representing a whopping 68 million birds. Minnesota is the #1 turkey growing state at 42 million birds, followed by NCarolina 32.5 million, and Arkansas 26.5 million. The USA produces a total of 242.5 million birds per year, and a large amount is for export.

My guess is that the Jennie-O plant is in seasonal crunch mode every year from Labor Day to early December to get all that holiday turkey processed and delivered. Shift work, weekend work and OT may be expected of employees, and the plant may operate 24/7 for 2-3 months annually.

3 thoughts: 1. If the parents work excessive hours in the Fall, that might add to why an only child is with a caretaker, 2. There would be a lot of trucking activity year-round but more so in the Fall bringing turkeys from Minnesota and then taking finished product out to distribution centers, 3. Perhaps not an employee of Jennie-O but someone associated with the industry like a trucker might know the parents are working more hours, might think the father was at the plant that night

JMO
Very good points, since I thought I saw something about James getting home later that night? I need to find the source again, but it would make sense if he was working longer hours during this time because it's Jennie-O's busy season

i dont know for some reason i dont get this feeling of her being in danger

then i tell myself she is with someone who might have killed two people

but something feels like they knew each other

i still think she's in danger, Think murder suicide if cornered (just one possibility).

BUT it is true in this situation she is in significantly LESS danger than the other reasonable possibilities.

I am interested in learning a little more about the change in schools. It may or may not have significance, but I am curious despite the statement regarding the caretaker moving. The distance between the two schools does not appear all that far..... is it possible Jayme's parents just gave this reason to family and friends to protect her privacy?

Is it possible Jayme was receiving unwanted attention from a teacher, school worker, coach, bus driver, etc., and her parents removed her for this reason? Have any of them recently resigned, or been terminated? Are any of them on a leave of absence, or out due to illness? Have there been any reports from other students about odd behavior/text messages (sexual in nature)?

Again - may not be significant, and not accusing anyone. Just curious.

Hearing that they don't think the local community is in danger but also asking for people to watch for changes in behavior has me remembering 8 year old Maddie Clifton being taken by her 14 year old neighbor, here in Florida.

Also finding out how Shasta Groene's life is turning out has saddened me.

No real good outcomes here but I sure hope she is alive and able to get away and find help.

<modsnip - referencing fb comments >

I hope ......

Yes, game changer. You're welcome. :)
I’m wondering if they were on it since day 1 and we just don’t know about it. I mean if this is my first though surely it is theirs too. Even if they had no idea what happened and the scene was unfolding, double homicide, missing minor, they would have had to have been aware of this immediately and been right on it .moo.

Apologize if this has been posted but I haven't seen it . . . hoping this is ok since it's from cbs:

ETA: not sure if it's credible given it's not from the sheriff's but still . . . interesting info if it's true:

CBS Newspath on Twitter

WISC MISSING GIRL- Diaz 1130a PKG WED0131- New details in the case of a missing teenager whose parents were found dead in the family's Wisconsin home. Relatives tell CBS News that the front door to the house was "shot in." 13 year old Jayme Closs is still missing.

Is it just me or did you guys find LE’s answer re: if she had a boyfriend somewhat “evasive” (Going by transcriptions)

Can someone please bump the PC link? Tia.

—-

So they can not say for certain that this is an abduction.

Whatever the case she is 13.

yes seem if this was not at least a consideration they are working one he would have quickly and confidently responded "there is not evidence she did"

What if they are not pinging a phone? They might all have been found in the home. I've wondered if one of the parents was able to crawl to a phone before dying and hit 911. Such a sad thought, breaks my heart.

Hearing that they don't think the local community is in danger but also asking for people to watch for changes in behavior has me remembering 8 year old Maddie Clifton being taken by her 14 year old neighbor, here in Florida.

I don't really know what to think of this comment either, they pretty much didn't say the community shouldn't not think they aren't in danger, they just had no evidence that they would be. Most recently, it makes me think of Mollie Tibbets. They also said the community is not in danger in that case, but the man who killed her went on with his normal life in the community, so in reality, the community was possibly in danger the whole time (thank goodness he didn't hurt anyone else, but what would have stopped him from doing so?). They just don't want to cause mass panic IMO.

I am interested in learning a little more about the change in schools. It may or may not have significance, but I am curious despite the statement regarding the caretaker moving. The distance between the two schools does not appear all that far..... is it possible Jayme's parents just gave this reason to family and friends to protect her privacy?

Is it possible Jayme was receiving unwanted attention from a teacher, school worker, coach, bus driver, etc., and her parents removed her for this reason? Have any of them recently resigned, or been terminated? Are any of them on a leave of absence, or out due to illness? Have there been any reports from other students about odd behavior/text messages (sexual in nature)?

Again - may not be significant, and not accusing anyone. Just curious.

I have heard that daycare providers get over three $ per hour. My granddaughters babysat and got$10 an hour.

And this is not in a big city in MN . Perhaps the caregiver did not charge as it is a family member. Or they charged a token amount.

A daycare provider cannot simply get up and drive to pick someone up from a sporting event if they have other children. So it makes sense that the caregiver is important and cannot easily be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021