NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #5

Thinking about our friend, Sylvia Lwowski this week.

Some very cold cases do get resolved and I am always amazed, by that. But many do not.

As to why her friends did not come forward, maybe someone knows what happened... Fiancé, someone at Wagner, pool party...

I wish we had a little more information about the cold case investigation... Like who was interviewed, in 2010?

We've mined just about every speculation in Sylvia's threads.

Coming up on 43 years missing. That is a long, long time, and my thoughts go out to her family and girlfriend.

Well-said; I wish some of these missing puzzle pieces would surface. I’m confident there’s some information beyond just the facts that explain her disappearance, that would fill out the story.

Thinking about our Sylvia, how her family and girlfriend were desperately searching for her, wondering what happened to her, missing her, and still long to know what happened to their loved one so many, many decades later.

Thinking about my jmoose, and all our peeps who tried so hard to elevate Sylvia Lwowski's name, her story, in the hopes of finding some answers.

Bumping for Sylvia Lwowski. You are missed.

Bumping for Sylvia...She’s been gone too long, with not a hint of where she might be

I really fear Sylvia is long gone in the water. So much water around NYC. It a big ocean out there, too. And not a trace of her possessions, ring, purse, clothing. With perfect dentals like hers, remains would be easy to identify. And nothing has shown up.

So much could have happened. The window between her disappearance and the cold case investigation is too wide, decades wide. Those who might be able to shed light, long gone, passed on. Nothing is as it was on Staten Island, neighborhoods, built up population.

We were so hopeful. But there are secrets in the silence. Would the person or people who knew tell someone, would that filter down a generation? Would it come out in twenty years from now?

What the coldest case ever solved? How much time had passed? Some day, maybe she will be found, and by then it will be like discovering the past in Egypt.

Still, so glad to see you here Jmoose, glad we are keeping her home fires burning here on her WS thread.

I really fear Sylvia is long gone in the water. So much water around NYC. It a big ocean out there, too. And not a trace of her possessions, ring, purse, clothing. With perfect dentals like hers, remains would be easy to identify. And nothing has shown up.

So much could have happened. The window between her disappearance and the cold case investigation is too wide, decades wide. Those who might be able to shed light, long gone, passed on. Nothing is as it was on Staten Island, neighborhoods, built up population.

We were so hopeful. But there are secrets in the silence. Would the person or people who knew tell someone, would that filter down a generation? Would it come out in twenty years from now?

What the coldest case ever solved? How much time had passed? Some day, maybe she will be found, and by then it will be like discovering the past in Egypt.

Still, so glad to see you here Jmoose, glad we are keeping her home fires burning here on her WS thread.

Hi Rose-I still come here from time to time, but not daily or even weekly any more. Like you, I am struck by the silence from all of those who knew and loved her,

Hi Rose-I still come here from time to time, but not daily or even weekly any more. Like you, I am struck by the silence from all of those who knew and loved her,

Jmoose, I come here in part to adore your adorable Frenchy moniker!!! What a cutie pie.

I swear if I didn't have my pride of kittehs, I'd have a pack of frenchys!!!

Yes, stunned and saddened that more have not come forward for our Sylvia. She was a gal with several groups of peeps. And her fiancé's peeps...

C'mon people... Step up for our beautiful Sylvia Lwowski!!

Bumping Sylvia’s page up-I’d like to see some resolution to her case. She has to be somewhere, and somebody knows what happened to her. I have to think that even if she committed suicide, SOMEBODY who cared about her would know that she was suicidal. I don’t believe she was.

SLwowski.jpg
SLwowski1.jpg
SLwowski2.jpg

Sylvia Alice Lwowski
Missing since September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, Richmond County, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date of Birth: April 28, 1953
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4-5'6"; 120-125 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long, straight blonde hair; hazel eyes. Wears glasses.
    • Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
    • Clothing: White button-down sweater, green shirt and brown shoes.
    • Jewelry: Heart shaped engagement ring; a watch. She was carrying a brown handbag.
    • Dentals: Not available.
    • Fingerprints: Available
    • DNA: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
On September 6, 1975, Sylvia went out with her fiance to a movie at the old Island Movie Theater on Richmond Avenue in Staten Island

He returned stating that during an argument, she thew her glasses against the dashboard and ran from the car. Sylvia has not been seen since.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New York City Police
718-834-4580

Agency Case Number: 10074

Source Information:
Doe Network
Namus

LINK:

The Doe Network: Case File 2928DFNY

Sylvia is another Rabbit Hole Case of mine that I think about and pray for quite often. I often go hang out with a friend on SI and as i ride past marshes etc I wonder about Sylvia as well as others. I have read through this and the other threads and I do not know what to make of it all. Part of me suspects foul play in or aroud the fiance and part of me suspects that the did have an argument and Sylvia stormed off into the night only to meet with foul play. Rand and others like him were floating around plus the proximity to PA and Jersey are factors that I feel must be examined.
As for the initial police report the NYPD may have pulled it because under the state Discovery Laws pertaining to Exculpatory Evidence if they were to charge someone and that person were to go to Trial the DA is not obligated to delivery said evidence to the defense until right before said trial. Meaning Day 01. And that includes the initial complaint/mp report . The State voted yes to change that and it was passed but that was literally 3 weeks ago.
Anyway. As for the NYPD's initial involvement on the case: that was NYC in the much glorified mid 70's where due to budget issues manpower was sliced in half. So that coupled with it being a different time as far as forensics etc. Things we take for granted today of course.....
What I do believe is is that Sylvia did not take off into the night to start anew. She had a lot going for her---education, a loving family, beauty and if not the Fiance I am sure she turned heads 20 times over a day and knew her Mr. Right was out there. I also do not believe she would have left her family.
I hope she and her mom are up there trying to guide the Cold Case Squad and her brother to the right place and person(s) responsible .
Sorry I rambled on.

Sylvia is another Rabbit Hole Case of mine that I think about and pray for quite often. I often go hang out with a friend on SI and as i ride past marshes etc I wonder about Sylvia as well as others. I have read through this and the other threads and I do not know what to make of it all. Part of me suspects foul play in or aroud the fiance and part of me suspects that the did have an argument and Sylvia stormed off into the night only to meet with foul play. Rand and others like him were floating around plus the proximity to PA and Jersey are factors that I feel must be examined.
As for the initial police report the NYPD may have pulled it because under the state Discovery Laws pertaining to Exculpatory Evidence if they were to charge someone and that person were to go to Trial the DA is not obligated to delivery said evidence to the defense until right before said trial. Meaning Day 01. And that includes the initial complaint/mp report . The State voted yes to change that and it was passed but that was literally 3 weeks ago.
Anyway. As for the NYPD's initial involvement on the case: that was NYC in the much glorified mid 70's where due to budget issues manpower was sliced in half. So that coupled with it being a different time as far as forensics etc. Things we take for granted today of course.....
What I do believe is is that Sylvia did not take off into the night to start anew. She had a lot going for her---education, a loving family, beauty and if not the Fiance I am sure she turned heads 20 times over a day and knew her Mr. Right was out there. I also do not believe she would have left her family.
I hope she and her mom are up there trying to guide the Cold Case Squad and her brother to the right place and person(s) responsible .
Sorry I rambled on.

Thank you for reading about Sylvia, and for your very level-headed reply. Her disappearance haunts me.

I dare say it---but the tunnels under the former Willowbrook.... I know much has been renovated, rebuilt etc but how well were they examined and do we know how far they go? Could the people who lived in them had done some further construction and tunneling of their own?

Thank you for reading about Sylvia, and for your very level-headed reply. Her disappearance haunts me.
You are welcome. The whole situation is just....odd and heartbreaking.

One thing I did forget to say was while I mentioned Rand I don't want anyone to think I am of the belief that whatever bad happened on SI before his incarceration was automatically his fault. But.... it is plausible.

Last edited:
You are welcome. The whole situation is just....odd and heartbreaking.

One thing I did forget to say was while I mentioned Rand I don't want anyone to think I am of the belief that whatever bad happened on SI before his incarceration was automatically his fault. But.... it is plausible.

But wouldn’t Rand’s usual victim typically be a child? Not that it is impossible by any means that he or somebody like him could be responsible-the 70s in NYC were crazy times. For me, it comes down to the most likely possibility, such as an admitted fight with the fiance escalating into something tragic. It was nighttime, though, and she could have gotten hit by a car...or through some terrible coincidence run into a predator, after breaking her engagement to her fiance. I am a believer in the notion that the simplest explanation is typically the most likely (Occam’s razor), but NY in the 70s being what it was adds other possibilities. I wonder where she could be? Buried someplace by someone who was bad, or even buried at Hart Island as an unknown individual who had been a victim of an accident, somehow not matched up with a missing person report? I’d love to know.

But wouldn’t Rand’s usual victim typically be a child? Not that it is impossible by any means that he or somebody like him could be responsible-the 70s in NYC were crazy times. For me, it comes down to the most likely possibility, such as an admitted fight with the fiance escalating into something tragic. It was nighttime, though, and she could have gotten hit by a car...or through some terrible coincidence run into a predator, after breaking her engagement to her fiance. I am a believer in the notion that the simplest explanation is typically the most likely (Occam’s razor), but NY in the 70s being what it was adds other possibilities. I wonder where she could be? Buried someplace by someone who was bad, or even buried at Hart Island as an unknown individual who had been a victim of an accident, somehow not matched up with a missing person report? I’d love to know.
I have considered the fact that Rand preferred children or in the very least developmentally disabled individuals he could manipulate. Sylvia is the polar opposite but there is the belief that Rand did not act alone or at the very least had help, and the only one who would help Rand would be someone who was a-ok with what he was doing. So what if one of those people decided to 'do their own thing ' for lack of a better phrase that night and unfortunately Sylvia encountered he or she.
And there the possiblity of Richard Biegenwald who had ties to SI and was out of custody at the time. I think it was mentioned in one of the earlier threads.

Last edited:
Oh, yes. Creepy Hart Island. Could be a possibility. MOO
Oh, yes. Creepy Hart Island. Could be a possibility. MOO
Hart Island is a definite possibility. I have known people who worked out there (yes City Sentenced Men from Rikers). And all have said the same thing: coffins which were more like boxes piled I believe 3 deep. Only numbers. The baby and infant coffins have been described as one of the most humbling and heart wrenching sites by everyone who has worked there. Has the Hart Island Foundation been contacted? I know they are up to the tips of their ears in work but....if there ia a process that can at least be started it is always a good idea.

Hart Island is a definite possibility. I have known people who worked out there (yes City Sentenced Men from Rikers). And all have said the same thing: coffins which were more like boxes piled I believe 3 deep. Only numbers. The baby and infant coffins have been described as one of the most humbling and heart wrenching sites by everyone who has worked there. Has the Hart Island Foundation been contacted? I know they are up to the tips of their ears in work but....if there ia a process that can at least be started it is always a good idea.

I told Sylvia’s brother Joe to contact them

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back