The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Royal Standard still lets us know when the Queen is in residence. But now the Union Jack is flown at Buckingham Palace when she isn't there, so that it can be flown at half-mast if someone important dies. As you say, as a result of Diana's death and the controversy around the flat not being lowered.

Oh yes, that's right, I knew there had to be a flag up so they could do the half-mast thing but kind of forgot there are two. Cheers for clarifying, I'm pleased we can still tell if she's home!!

I used to be absolutely fascinated with medieval history - I read everything I could about English royalty going back before the Roman Conquest. It was a hobby of mine for a few years (many years ago). I lose interest in history in modern times (anything more recent than around Queen Victoria's time), and I really don't consider myself a Royal Watcher....except I do like to see the clothes. :) I also am interested in their charity work, but mainly, I like to see what they are wearing. As for gossipy stuff, that's not my thing.

I do wish the English Royals were a bit more adventuresome with their clothes, but I'll still keep looking at what they are picking out to wear.

This thread (and the previous ones) are marvelous - a great respite from the threads we usually follow on WS and I'm glad to have this group and discussion.

Yes! Perhaps we can start a Medieval thread one day? I collect antique samplers, and have a particular interest in early British band samplers from the 1600s. I have been learning embroidery and trying my hand at stitching reproductions. I have patterns for some of the tapestries Mary Queen of Scots stitched during her imprisonment and hope to do them next year. Studying the history of the monarchy and associated times led me to following the modern royals. I had not followed closely until recently with all the weddings and babies I am so happy that everyone seems to be settling down with people they love and starting families they will cherish. I am glad for the lack of scandal, it may be entertaining but you know it's so hurtful for everyone.

I used to be absolutely fascinated with medieval history - I read everything I could about English royalty going back before the Roman Conquest. It was a hobby of mine for a few years (many years ago). I lose interest in history in modern times (anything more recent than around Queen Victoria's time), and I really don't consider myself a Royal Watcher....except I do like to see the clothes. :) I also am interested in their charity work, but mainly, I like to see what they are wearing. As for gossipy stuff, that's not my thing.

I do wish the English Royals were a bit more adventuresome with their clothes, but I'll still keep looking at what they are picking out to wear.

This thread (and the previous ones) are marvelous - a great respite from the threads we usually follow on WS and I'm glad to have this group and discussion.

I was fascinated with medieval history as well..I haven't gone far back as the Roman conquest..but I may. I didn't go beyond the 17th century..mostly stayed within the 1200's to 1600's time frame.

Yes! Perhaps we can start a Medieval thread one day? I collect antique samplers, and have a particular interest in early British band samplers from the 1600s. I have been learning embroidery and trying my hand at stitching reproductions. I have patterns for some of the tapestries Mary Queen of Scots stitched during her imprisonment and hope to do them next year. Studying the history of the monarchy and associated times led me to following the modern royals. I had not followed closely until recently with all the weddings and babies I am so happy that everyone seems to be settling down with people they love and starting families they will cherish. I am glad for the lack of scandal, it may be entertaining but you know it's so hurtful for everyone.

BBM
Excellent idea!!!!

I was fascinated with medieval history as well..I haven't gone far back as the Roman conquest..but I may. I didn't go beyond the 17th century..mostly stayed within the 1200's to 1600's time frame.
I wrote Roman Conquest but I meant Norman Conquest!! Big difference!

But I do like the history that goes way, way back as well.

Oh...your embroidery projects sound wonderful. I embroider too, though I don't know many stitches - just the basics. I am, however, I fan of the Bayeux Tapestry. Sigh...would love to work on a piece like that!

These photos frustrate me for so many different reasons but with all the money spent on her wardrobe and appearance, Megs does not look put together. The navy dress was pretty but it did not fit her properly. The trench coat is okay but why such a bland color? To me it seems like such a waste of money.

On a positive note, the new soon to be parents do look very happy.

Not sure what to think of your post sorrell, but Meghan has absolutely no effect on my life. She is not threatening to me at all and why would I be threatened by her?? Maybe she is powerful and if she is more power to her. I just don't like her wardrobe choices, hair style choices and make-up choices. She would probably hate my choices. I am not in public view so nobody cares what I look like. I just think she can do better on her appearance just like I can do better on my appearance. I work and pay for my appearance and don't have endless funds at my disposal.

To each their own.

I do not wish for them to fail. I said they looked very happy.

I just think she can enhance her appearance - nothing to do with her marriage. I just think representing the Royal Family and endless money for the appearance, she should look more polished.

Her marriage is her business and none of mine. In the public and representing the RF, Appearance is important.

End of discussion for me.

I do not wish for them to fail. I said they looked very happy.

I just think she can enhance her appearance - nothing to do with her marriage. I just think representing the Royal Family and endless money for the appearance, she should look more polished.

Her marriage is her business and none of mine. In the public and representing the RF, Appearance is important.

End of discussion for me.
Well, prepare yourself for when she finally does have baby Sussex. Her hair is going to be even worse unless she borrows Kate's stylist. I have to admit that Kate always looked lovely for a woman who had given birth less than 48 hours prior. Hair and makeup wouldn't have been my priority, even with a stylist. Hello yoga pants and a t-shirt, hair in a messy bun, Blistex on my lips :D
Of course she looked lovely because she knew those pictures were going to be forever, just like both of Diana's post natal pictures on the front steps of the hospital.

These photos frustrate me for so many different reasons but with all the money spent on her wardrobe and appearance, Megs does not look put together. The navy dress was pretty but it did not fit her properly. The trench coat is okay but why such a bland color? To me it seems like such a waste of money.

On a positive note, the new soon to be parents do look very happy.

I lol'd at the subway photos. Please.

I get a major fake/posed/acting vibe from the majority of her photos the last few outings. Like over-acting. Pretending to be interested with lots of animation, eyebrows raised way up high, exaggerated head tilt. Maybe she feels like crap and is just going thru the motions.

I lol'd at the subway photos. Please.

I get a major fake/posed/acting vibe from the majority of her photos the last few outings. Like over-acting. Pretending to be interested with lots of animation, eyebrows raised way up high, exaggerated head tilt. Maybe she feels like crap and is just going thru the motions.

That is Royal life in some respects pretending to be interested in the public engagement you are at and who you are speaking to when you aren’t but you have to do it for PR purposes. I would not be convincing at it.

Given the Duchess is new in her role she is doing tremendously well. I think they are doing a great job together given their every move is being recorded and dissected around the world. The mayhem and hysteria must get a bit overwhelming at times.

I have an unusual memory of Melbourne for you! We arrived and checked in to our hotel, dropped our bags and immediately went out onto the street to find a payphone so I could call my sister in Sydney to let her know we'd landed safely. As we stood there a man walked right in front of a tram and was knocked to the ground, unresponsive and bleeding, we thought he was dead. Within minutes an ambulance had arrived and it looked like they were trying to resuscitate him. And then, all of a sudden, he just stood up and started trying to walk off. One of the weirdest things I ever did see... Great city, by the way!

Meghan definitely looks pregnant in that blue dress. There's no way they could have held off the announcement any longer. She looks more than 12 weeks to me though, or is it twins?!

That is Royal life in some respects pretending to be interested in the public engagement you are at and who you are speaking to when you aren’t but you have to do it for PR purposes. I would not be convincing at it.

Given the Duchess is new in her role she is doing tremendously well. I think they are doing a great job together given their every move is being recorded and dissected around the world. The mayhem and hysteria must get a bit overwhelming at times.

They certainly know what to do to respond to people. The crowd loves them.

I imagine all of that travelling with different time zones and having to be energized all of the time is physically wearing. Meghan must not have nausea.

They are both in prime physical condition so that would be helpful.

I love how they engage with the people. Memories for everyone of joy.

So Samantha has promised to let everything go and move on in the Daily Mail due to the Royal Baby news. I will believe it when I see it.

Don't hold your breath! Sounds like a ploy to get in the good graces of Meghan and Harry so she can have a relationship with her future niece or nephew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288