AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ot-ish but Le in Mollie’s case did NOT know more than they were saying until shortly before arrest, despite all the FBI, imo.

Ws barely working for me? Lots of wind here...not sure if that is why.

Exactly. I understand people just want to stay positive and its much more comforting to think LE has more info but considering they made the extremely rare decision to come out the next day and flat out say they have nothing, i tend to think they don't have much.

Mollies case was a great example. Most people were convinced they had much more then they were letting on and it turned out they had pretty much nothing until shortly before the arrest when they got the video and identified the car.

If something like this goes down in my community, I too would advocate for a no-press town hall meeting with law enforcement. I saw first hand what the Brooklyn community went through. Even now that that the cloud of suspicion is lifted there are many lives that will never return to anything close to normal. This age of internet sleuthing is a dangerous time, people don’t understand how much damage they’re doing with reckless accusations.
How many people in the county of 45,000 people are actually going to be there? What about all of those tens of thousands that can't get to it? (Let alone try to fit 45,000 people into the building.)
How are those people going to learn what was asked, what information was shared, etc. unless something like the media, oh heck, the media reports it and spreads that information so everyone has the opportunity to learn it instead of the few hundred, maybe 1000 at most that would fit in the town hall?

So instead of all of the county residents having a chance to hear things first hand, get the same questions they have, answered, only a few hundred or a thousand will get to do so. This is why we have the media because they can get that information to a wider audience.

<modsnip - LE comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin town on edge

"Investigators still have a “100 percent expectation” that the teen is alive."

Fitzgerald has yet to say how long the parents were dead before the bodies were discovered after the 911 call brought deputies to the home, which is set back in woods along Hwy. 8 just west of town. Family members told CBS News in a telephone interview that the front door of the family’s home was shot in.

At the Barron Area Community Center, where Jim Closs’ name is listed on a board recognizing those who have exercised for 1,000 hours, local resident Mike Swanson said everybody was “on edge, waiting to find out what’s going on here.”

Swanson knew Jim Closs from high school athletics when Closs went to school in Ladysmith, Wis., Swanson said. The family was known as a good family and active in their community, he said.

Wisconsin town on edge with search for missing teen, parents' slayings

RBBM

THIS^^^^

Trying to wrap my head around the timeline between the gunshots and when LE discovered the bodies.

I don’t agree that this no-press meeting is any kind of trap to see who shows up and who doesn’t. This community needs a candid discussion with their local law enforcement. That’s exactly what this is.
I completely agree. The community needs this, and quite frankly, deserves this from its leaders.

Last edited:
Yeah. I think the logical conclusion to their assertion that they believe JC was in that house at the time, is that the call came from her phone. And she wasn’t among the murder victims.

It’s also possible that like you say, her phone was found in a separate location.

It's also possible that one of the parents had already dialed 911, but ended up being shot before the call connected. The phone could have fallen and connected to the dispatcher and maybe JC was heard in the background.
jmo

“Based on our investigation thus far, we believe Jamie was in the home at the time of the homicides and we believe she is still in danger,” said Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald during a Wednesday afternoon press conference.
While there have been reports of forced entry, Fitzgerald could not confirm whether the locks on the front door of the Closs home were blown out by gunfire.
https://nypost.com/2018/10/17/missing-girl-was-home-when-parents-were-killed-cops/

at the time of the homicides. would give the killer plenty of time to leave with Jamie and be out of town before the police showed up

Wisconsin town on edge

"Investigators still have a “100 percent expectation” that the teen is alive."

Fitzgerald has yet to say how long the parents were dead before the bodies were discovered after the 911 call brought deputies to the home, which is set back in woods along Hwy. 8 just west of town. Family members told CBS News in a telephone interview that the front door of the family’s home was shot in.

At the Barron Area Community Center, where Jim Closs’ name is listed on a board recognizing those who have exercised for 1,000 hours, local resident Mike Swanson said everybody was “on edge, waiting to find out what’s going on here.”

Swanson knew Jim Closs from high school athletics when Closs went to school in Ladysmith, Wis., Swanson said. The family was known as a good family and active in their community, he said.

Wisconsin town on edge with search for missing teen, parents' slayings

BBM

That sentence stood out to me.....because when I saw Mr Closs's photo my first thought was that he looked like a strong man who worked out and was in good shape. He probably was not a man who could be easily overpowered in a close fight.
An intruder with a gun would certainly have the advantage though....

You’re operating under the theory that they do have this information in the first place.

There is always the chance that there simply isn’t any information to release, that they feel can help them get to the bottom of this.

I’m hoping that the FBI’s analysis of digital evidence can break this case open, that might not be the case though.

The Cell Site Location Information (CSLI), usually known as a cell dump should already be in the F.B.I.'s hands.

Because of the busy highway, I imagine there may be a huge amount of data for the investigators to go through but they may sort and prioritize local numbers to investigate first.

I am hoping that this leads to a break in the case.

How many people in the county of 45,000 people are actually going to be there? What about all of those tens of thousands that can't get to it? (Let alone try to fit 45,000 people into the building.)
How are those people going to learn what was asked, what information was shared, etc. unless something like the media, oh heck, the media reports it and spreads that information so everyone has the opportunity to learn it instead of the few hundred, maybe 1000 at most that would fit in the town hall?

So instead of all of the county residents having a chance to hear things first hand, get the same questions they have, answered, only a few hundred or a thousand will get to do so. This is why we have the media because they can get that information to a wider audience.

This is why what the Sheriff did was, quite frankly, stupid.
Once you bring in the media, it significantly changes the dynamic. It brings chaos to an event that is designed to calm the community, and address their concerns.

The routine press conferences address those people who cannot attend.

The Cell Site Location Information (CSLI), usually known as a cell dump should already be in the F.B.I.'s hands.

Because of the busy highway, I imagine there may be a huge amount of data for the investigators to go through but they may sort and prioritize local numbers to investigate first.

I am hoping that this leads to a break in the case.
It’s a brilliant tool, and far more effective in small population centers, like this one.

I’d be shocked if something like that wasn’t being utilized here.

In regards to the 911 silent call - I’ve done this twice accidentally on my iPhone just by putting it into a clamp type holder wrong so it holds down side buttons. Both times I just put the phone in the holder and 15 seconds later I hear “911, what’s your emergency?” Point being you can unintentionally dial 911 on an iPhone just by squeezing the sides of it. I can totally see that could be what happened here.

The time of the shots fired is based only on the neighbors account of hearing them. I don’t believe LE has released the TOD for the parents. This could be something that is a critical point, especially if something happened there that went on for a period of time - longer than about 30 minutes. MOO

Deputies responded to a residence on Highway 8 east of Barron that was asking for help shortly before 1 a.m. When deputies arrived, they found two deceased adults. Jayme Closs, 13, is considered "missing and endangered." Jayme is described as 5' tall, 100 pounds and has green eyes and blond or strawberry blond hair.

2 dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin

Jayme%20Closs_1539605722558.jpg_6224138_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Thread #1 - AMBER ALERT - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered*

Thread #2 - AMBER ALERT - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #2

Hi do we have a media thread going? I’m not seeing this in the above opening post. Tia.

Exactly. I understand people just want to stay positive and its much more comforting to think LE has more info but considering they made the extremely rare decision to come out the next day and flat out say they have nothing, i tend to think they don't have much.

Mollies case was a great example. Most people were convinced they had much more then they were letting on and it turned out they had pretty much nothing until shortly before the arrest when they got the video and identified the car.

Mollie's case was solved in a month. They collected surveillance tape and once they reviewed the right minute of tape from the right residence, they identified a suspect and quickly closed on him. The tape was collected early in the investigation but it was not reviewed until weeks later because of all of the other tips they were tracking down. They got a confession within 48 hours of interviewing the suspect. Mollie's case is an example of excellent police work, not bad police work.

I don't think the public understands that real law enforcement investigations are not solved in 45 minutes like a TV show. It is completely unrealistic to think LE should have this case solved in 3 days. I don't think the fact that LE has not solved this case within 72 hours means they are incompetent or doing anything wrong. They are working their case. They are tracking down leads. They are talking to members of the community. They are testing evidence.

WS does not tolerate bashing LE. Everyone knows that some LEAs are corrupt and some aren't. Some LEOs are corrupt and some aren't. A small town police force can be just as great or just as bad as a large city police force.

I see nothing in this case indicating that LE has botched the entire thing or is not asking for the help from other agencies that they require.

Unless and until LE in this case proves to be incompetent, there is no reason to bash their efforts to find Jayme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam