Australia Australia - Leisl Smith, 23, Wallarah, NSW, 19 Aug 2012 *arrest in 2019, died during trial*

News
I’m hoping this is ok to post - as of half an hour ago I heard from those close to this matter that the main suspect in this case, Jim Church has been charged with Leisl’s Murder. Hopefully more details to come.
I have just read that they have charged a 48 year old man with murder. NSW Police Facebook page.

About 5.10pm (Thursday 18 October 2018), detectives from Tuggerah Lakes Police District

arrested a 48-year-old man on the Gwydir Highway, west of Inverell.

He was taken to Inverell Police Station where he was charged with murder.

He was refused bail and will appear in Inverell Local Court on Friday 19 October 2018

Latest News - NSW Police Public Site

Thinking of you and your family Eccsci. Certainly not the good outcome hoped for, but hopefully you will now have the answers.
Hi guys
Thanks for the thoughts. We were warned that it was going to happen so it’s all a bit of a shock. I’m still processing and certainly haven’t accepted it yet.

The case has been adjourned until Dec 19th: there has been no plea entered as of yet. Thanks for all the support guys. You’ve never met me or anything but your support and caring has meant a lot xx

There is a DT article that is Paywalled - can anyone give a summary?

A man has been arrested over the disappearance of Leisl Smith ...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/...leisl-smith/.../470c2b048c0e297ae3e30707988251...

26 mins ago - POLICE have arrested a man over the alleged murder of 23-year-old Leisl Smith who disappeared from Tuggerah train station in 2012 and has ...

As Chestnutsunfish stated above, it says that the man's name is Jim Church, he has been a person of interest since he was first questioned by police in April 2013.

Police had used cadaver dogs to search his property and 4 other properties linked to him in 2013, but did not find Leisl.
They repeat about Leisl getting to the train station, then getting into a white ute on the day she disappeared, and that she may have been pregnant.

Church was taken to Inverell Police Station where he was 'assisting police', had been charged with murder and refused bail. To appear tomorrow in local court.

A man has been arrested over the disappearance of Leisl Smith
The Daily Telegraph - October 19, 2018 - 8:31am

That's about it. Finally, some justice for Leisl.

Gosh I must have been living under a rock as I haven't heard about this case at all until I saw the arrest made in todays paper! I have spent the morning reading through this thread.
Glad to see an arrest has finally been made.
My thoughts today are with you Eccsci and your family xx

From memory, Church was the man who was shot in the stomach by two men - about a year after Leisl disappeared - and he couldnt help the police with identifying the men.

Jim Church, 43, was found by paramedics at his Wallarah property with a gun shot wound to his stomach at 11.20pm on Tuesday.
Detectives were speaking to Mr Church on Wednesday afternoon over the apparent shooting but refused to elaborate on any motive or reason.

Man questioned over Leisl Smith disappearance found shot
21 August 2013

James Scott Church denied bail over alleged murder of missing woman Leisl Smith

James Scott Church, 48, was arrested by police on Thursday on the Gwydir Highway, west of Inverell over the disappearance of the 23-year-old woman six years ago.

Mr Church did not appear in Inverell Local Court when his case came before magistrate Michael Dakin.

He made no application for bail and it was formally refused by Mr Dakin, who ordered Mr Church to remain in custody.

The case was adjourned to Wyong Local Court on December 19.

SA... has there ever been a whiff of mention of LS innocently sent off on the train (possibly to Sydney) with a wad of money to make a purchase on behalf of JC. KWIM

There are reports of someone speaking to Leisl on a train, unknown if she was off to make a purchase.

I just had word that the girl that spoke to Leisl on the train sometime before Leisl went missing, has just been to speak to the Police and give her statement about their conversation...

I really hope that what she had to say helps in any way possible to get some answers for her family.

I was also wondering about sheep stations and whether Leisl may have just wanted a change of pace? Worth contacting the stations and getting the MISSING person poster up at all the Stations.

Leave no stone unturned.

Imperial-Knight

A bit more on that MM:

Hi
This girl says she spoke to Leisl before she went missing and then it took time for this stranger to realise that she had actually spoken with Leisl Smith whom had since become a missing person. She has been interviewed by the Police.

This person has spoken to the Detective in charge but she has since told a friend of mine that she knows more, but who's to say this girl isn't just an attention seeker? My friend told her to contact Crimestoppers and she said she wanted to meet up to talk but then she chickened out. So maybe she was a story telling attention seeker - time waister? My friend still hasn't heard from her. This girl said she was going to contact Leisl's Ex and talk to him and that's when she stopped talking.. Hope he didn't threaten her!!

Anyway that's all I know, But I will continue to dig until I'm officially told not to!

Imperial-Knight

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back