GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
WILD CARD TESTIMONY: Daron Wint's brother takes the stand at Mansion Murders trial
UPDATED: OCT 17 2018 06:36PM EDT
[...]
Under cross examination and redirect testimony, Darrell Wint was asked if he wanted to be there on the stand. He responded that he did not want to be there and he was ashamed and disappointed about what his brother was being accused of.

Darrell Wint also made it very clear to the jury that he did come to the U.S. Attorney's Office several times to speak with the prosecutors about this case, but he never asked for immunity. He said he did receive a subpoena to testify, but he had nothing to hide.

The rebuttal testimony continues Thursday and closing arguments are expected to take place on Monday.

IMO, Darrell lives by "close enough" so if he told Investigator that he was working for a garbage collection service on Monday (but it was actually Tuesday); and worked a painting job on Thursday (but actually worked Friday), it's sufficient for his truth. I also believe Darrell reserves many days for his distribution business, and intentionally kept the whereabouts that he testified to from the Investigator to keep others out of his business. I don't believe he participated in the planning or actual murders, but had knowledge after the fact --and still patting himself on the back for cooperating with investigation. I was more troubled that the Prosecution called him for rebuttal than I was his testimony! MOO

I think you're exactly right. People are very careless and imprecise with answers. It is like pulling teeth to get someone to be specific with dates and times. And it makes no difference who they're talking to - police, their own attorneys, etc.

I think you're exactly right. People are very careless and imprecise with answers. It is like pulling teeth to get someone to be specific with dates and times. And it makes no difference who they're talking to - police, their own attorneys, etc.

Nah. Apparently, ONE WEEK after the murders, Darrell tells detectives he was working the prior Wednesday 5/13 and Thursday 5/14. Detectives prove this to be false.

Yet, 3 1/2 YEARS later during trial testimony, Darrell recalls that on 5/13 "he was at a friend’s home watching a homemade music video, then he went to pick up his 5-year-old son from school in Takoma Park."

Nah. Not buying that 'recollection' story. I think Darrell is doing some lyin'!

Where was Darrell on May 13? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . .

Darrell initially "told homicide detectives he was working for a trash collection business" "on May 13 and May 14 2015". But there is no proof of him working at PCM or Unity on May 13 or 14.

Today, Darrell testifies "that on the day authorities say the killer broke into the Savopoulos house, he was at a friend’s home watching a homemade music video, then he went to pick up his 5-year-old son from school in Takoma Park."

Nah. Apparently, ONE WEEK after the murders, Darrell tells detectives he was working the prior Wednesday 5/13 and Thursday 5/14. Detectives prove this to be false.

Yet, 3 1/2 YEARS later during trial testimony, Darrell recalls that on 5/13 "he was at a friend’s home watching a homemade music video, then he went to pick up his 5-year-old son from school in Takoma Park."

Nah. Not buying that 'recollection' story. I think Darrell is doing some lyin'!

You have to actually see the video or hear the audio of the interview to see how the question was asked and how it was answered. Too many times I have been told or saw a document that said X said so and so when in fact the question wasn't what it was purported to be and/or the answer was unclear or hesitant or clearly someone guessing. Often in interrogations people are talking over one another and it isn't clear what question is being answered. I have learned that police reports or descriptions of prior statements are rarely accurate. Rarely. That is why we have to investigate. That is what cross examination is for.

I believe he was able to recall his actions on May 13 because the video refreshed his recollection due to the date it was uploaded to Youtube - he knew what he was doing, he just got his dates mixed up.

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
Admin · 13 hrs
Hey guys - a couple of quick notes:

>>>

Key things to come out of Darrell Wint’s testimony so far: a Domino’s Pizza receipt showing an order placed with his phone #, charged to his card l, delivers to his friend Garnett Williams’ house on 5/ 14 at 12:26pm - the day of the murders. Darrell says he was hanging out there on the 14th with one of his kids, that his son & Garnett’s daughter are close to the same age (and that they don’t cook lunch... just order pizza or Chinese)

We know that Daron admitted that he was seen at the Savopoulos mansion on 5/14 around noon, ducking under the garage door. Daron claimed that’s when Darrell, inside the garage, gave him the hard hat & construction vest to wear.

We also learned that Darrell didn’t get the cash to start changing it into money orders, until Daron came back from New York, and was holed up in the hotel in College Park. At least that was his testimony.

Darrell is not the easiest witness for prosecutor Laura Bach to elicit testimony from. He’s also a large man. There was an argument outside of the jury between the prosecution and defense about how much of Darrell’s prior criminal past can be introduced to the jury.

Darrell testified that after he and his brother went to Walmart on the night of the 14th, Daron told him his car had run out of gas, so they went to a gas station. They didn’t have a gas can, so Daron put the gas in a bucket. He directed Darrell to drive to an area off Kenilworth Ave “near where Daron used to work”, Got out of the car with the gas bucket, was gone for a few minutes, then got back in the car with the bucket. Darrell said he did not know if there was still gas in it or not, but as they were driving away he did notice a plume of smoke coming from the area where his brother just was. He said “ I don’t ask too much questions, don’t want to know peoples business.”

We learned during other conversations between the attorneys and the judge, a couple weeks back, that Darrell had taken investigators to what they called “a burn pile”.

One more thing: a defense investigator testified that he was asked in August 2018 to verify who Ed was. Edward Spain died Jun 5, 2017 of a cocaine & fentanyl OD.

Daron's van gets towed from DC to MD late afternoon on May 14.
Yet, "on the evening of May 14" "Darrell Wint said Daron Wint directed him to an industrial area off Kenilworth Avenue in Prince George's County because he said his van had run out of gas".

kenilworth ave dc to lanham md is 10 miles

This isn’t Kenilworth Ave in DC - PG county is MD - it’s the spot near AIW where DW burned his van a couple days later.

DW didn’t need gas for his van, that was a lie to get DrrW to drive him there. He wanted the gas to burn items taken from the S home after the crime, “including zipties.” This is how DrrW knew about & could take LE to the “debris pile” left behind there a few days later. HTH!

“Last week, Daron Wint took the stand for two days, offering his own account. His testimony did not link Steffon Wint to the Savopoulos home but did place Darrell Wint there.”

D’OH!! Oops, forgot to add the most important lie of all!

Hair found in room with victims is match to DW or SW but not DrrW. Game over DW, see ya never.

Daron Wint’s brother takes the stand, denies involvement in D.C. quadruple slaying

Answering a prosecutor's questions, often in one-word answers, Darrell Wint told jurors he did not kill the victims. He said he had never been to the home where they were slain and he did not start the fire that burned there.

Then Assistant U.S. Attorney Laura Bach asked Darrell Wint how he felt about testifying against his brother.

"It's disappointing, that's my big brother, and look what you doing," Wint answered. "He should be ashamed of himself, for real."

Darrell Wint, 32, has been at the center of much of the testimony in his brother's D.C. Superior Court trial. In the end, the verdict could come down to which brother jurors believe.
Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC...

Darrell is not the easiest witness for prosecutor Laura Bach to elicit testimony from. He’s also a large man.

Snipped by me.

If Darrell is a big man, then I guess he's not the person seen running with a bucket in the securty video behind the buildings on the afternoon of the murders. I wouldn't describe the man running as "large."

So...who is it in that video?

jmo

Snipped by me.

If Darrell is a big man, then I guess he's not the person seen running with a bucket in the securty video behind the buildings on the afternoon of the murders. I wouldn't describe the man running as "large."

So...who is it in that video?

jmo

Security video cameras and other video cameras can distort figures. It’s called camera distortion or perspective distortion.

I, like Anthony “Ant” Williams, shoot music videos and have since 2006. Distortion can be good- make you look skinny... or not.

Perspective distortion (photography) - Wikipedia

JMO

Yes I understand, but there's no way of actually verifying who placed the order, and more importantly, to verify whether a specific individual was absolutely at that house at that time.

We don't show i.d. at the door to the pizza guy.

Perhaps the prosecution will provide more evidence showing that DarrW was nowhere near that house around noon time, if ever.

Perhaps again the defense attorney will bring up that no one in the family likes Pizza!

Judge agreed that 'Jury will be instructed on aiding and abetting'.
So, the prosecution isn't confident in their case after all. IMO
Rebuttal witnesses and closing arguments will be very interesting.

Meagan Fitzgerald on Twitter

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC
NEW: Jury in #MansionMurders trial will be instructed on aiding and abetting. Defense argued against it saying the prosecution has argued this entire case that Wint is the only perpetrator. Aiding and abetting means Wint helped someone else carry out crime.
9:17 AM - 16 Oct 2018

:doh:

I know that was obvious to others, but I missed that.

I hope the jurors were told that clearly as I somehow did not clearly capture that. I can't remember in the testimony notes were that was clearly stated. Thank you

From WTOP’s live blog- Day 18 is after the summary. Lots of good info including...

“In contrast to Daron Wint, whose phone went dark over the two days the victims were taken captive and later killed, prosecutors showed call records for Darrell Wint that showed a steady stream of incoming and outgoing calls on May 13 and May 14.

But Wint's defense team sought to raise questions about whether Darrell Wint was the one actually making the phone calls because, on the stand Wednesday, he was unable to identify all of the numbers.”

DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial

From this reporting, it is not clear whether they gave the names attached to those phone numbers for him to refer to or just the phone numbers. There is only one phone number that I know by heart. There are hundreds of others that I have in my contact list that I have no idea, including everybody in my family. I have no idea what their phone numbers are off the top of my head.

I have no idea. It could be anybody in the MAC.

I am surprised the prosecution or defense or LE didn’t mock it up with the dumpster and look at the camera distortion ratio to figure it out...

JMO

I get the sense that prosecution wasn’t very well prepared - hope that’s not untrue, and even if it is I don’t think it’ll matter in the end.

But still, it seems like they’re scrambling a bit to respond. If so IMO it’s a direct result of the judge allowing defense to keep its purported alternative perp a secret until trial.

IMO, Darrell lives by "close enough" so if he told Investigator that he was working for a garbage collection service on Monday (but it was actually Tuesday); and worked a painting job on Thursday (but actually worked Friday), it's sufficient for his truth. I also believe Darrell reserves many days for his distribution business, and intentionally kept the whereabouts that he testified to from the Investigator to keep others out of his business. I don't believe he participated in the planning or actual murders, but had knowledge after the fact --and still patting himself on the back for cooperating with investigation. I was more troubled that the Prosecution called him for rebuttal than I was his testimony! MOO

Perhaps adding the new charge is strategic and was planned All Along by the prosecution. As in Washington, they do have the felony murder rule. So if they go for the lower charge, it may be easier for them to vote on the higher charges?

Perhaps adding the new charge is strategic and was planned All Along by the prosecution. As in Washington, they do have the felony murder rule. So if they go for the lower charge, it may be easier for them to vote on the higher charges?

What lower charge? Aiding and abetting is not a separate charge. It is a theory of the case and how the defendant could be found guilty. You never know what a jury is thinking and you need to cover all your bases in terms of jury instructions to help the jury analyze the evidence and reach the conclusion you want.

I have no idea. It could be anybody in the MAC.

I am surprised the prosecution or defense or LE didn’t mock it up with the dumpster and look at the camera distortion ratio to figure it out...

JMO
Because the prosecution didn't present info about the person running in the video (that I recall or know of), my hunch is that they don't think it's DW.

just a hunch.

jmo

Am I understanding this correctly? According to DarrW, burning the van and burning the pile of debris were two separate incidents. His testimony is that , DW exited the car with a bucket and a bag and came back with just a bucket. That was on May 14th. According to WTOP, a witness testified he was working in the area when he saw a box truck and two men fleeing the scene of a burning van. The van was found on the 16th. Did he testify that he was driving the white pickup on both days? And if he was so shaken about what happened why did he go back tot he same place with him?

DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial

DarrW statement:

Later that night, Darrell Wint said Daron Wint directed him to an industrial area off Kenilworth Avenue in Prince George's County because he said his van had run out of gas. Daron Wint carried a bucket full of gas off into the dark along with a bag, Darrell Wint told jurors. A few minutes later, Daron Wint returned — but without the bag, and when Darrell drove away, he said he saw smoke.

Prosecutors say Darrell Wint later took police to the spot where he drove his brother on May 14, where they found burned debris. The location is also near where Daron Wint's van was found set ablaze a few days later.

Witness statement:
Rolando DeLeon, a mechanic who lived and worked near the industrial parking lot in Prince George's County where Daron Wint's blue minivan was found burning a few days after the killings at the Savopoulos mansion testified he saw a man get into a white pickup truck that then drove away from the area where the van was set on fire. He said he didn't see anyone else but that he had the impression there was another person inside the truck because the man he saw got into the truck's passenger side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88