CA CA - Sacramento, Wht/HispMale UP2410, 18-25, in Southside Park, Jan'80

I noticed it said the man had stretchmarks like he had recently lost weight. I wonder if he was reported missing they were looking for a heavier person?

I had forgotten about the stretch marks. That's a very good point. Some people who lose a lot of weight can end up looking totally different, particularly in the face. Perhaps if we're looking into missing persons matches within a few years of John Doe's murder, we should look at people who are noticeably heavier than 147lbs.

The clothing he was wearing wasn't cheap. Hell, even his plain white T-shirt came from JCPenney! He appeared to be very color-coordinated and meticulous, in addition to being very well-groomed. Like I said, this man certainly wasn't a vagrant. I tried to find pictures of what some of his clothing may have looked like (since I'm always interested in vintage clothing from this era anyway), but could only find the Adidas shoes. His shoes probably looked similar to these. They could easily be in style now.

2-adidas-sl-80-1980-benjidassler-kicks-box.jpg

If he was in fact from LA, I wonder what brought him to Sacramento. If he was visiting someone, they would surely have noticed when he never came home, unless they never even knew he was coming and he hadn't yet arrived at their house. I still think that the anonymous caller is involved in some way and that John Doe was planning to meet someone at the field who ended up killing him.

Last edited:
I never noticed the H.S. either. I tried looking up missing men with those initial, but all went missing well after 1980.

I think they would have mentioned if he had any money on him. Could he have been robbed? Shooting someone in the head seems extreme for that.

I have a feeling that this man may never have been reported missing. Perhaps he was estranged from his family and had no real close ties. The apparent weight loss and dental work make me wonder if he was trying to kind of reinvent himself and start a new life. I wonder if he was legitimately trying to improve himself (i.e., he was the fat kid growing up and now as a young adult transformed himself into a slim, confident stud decked out in expensive threads) or if he was trying to disguise himself in order to evade someone who ended up finding and killing him anyway. I really wish they'd release post mortem photos. Like I said, these sketches are kind of like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

Last edited:
I came across this guy and his stats seem to fit, mentions he has lots of moles on his back.. (which others could call freckles I guess?)..In Namus there are photos of what appears to be molds for dentures along with his photos.
It says He had Levi jeans and maroon sneakers with gold stripes..

Now the thing is he is missing July 11 1980... could that have been a typo and maybe its supposed to be January 1980.. I am saying that because in one of the photos it says ''Flyer shows Amedeo's appearance in 1987."... If he went missing in 1980 then how can the flyer and photo have what he looks like in 1987? So with that in mind I just wanted to add this guy to the thread.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP7147 Amadeo Vigil, Male, Multiple
Date of Last Contact July 11, 1980
Missing From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Missing Age 24 Years

Sex Male
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian, Hispanic / Latino
Height 5' 6" - 5' 7" (66 - 67 Inches)
Weight 130 - 135 lbs

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactJuly 11, 1980
NamUs Case CreatedMay 14, 2010
Last Known Location Map
Location Colorado Springs, Colorado
CountyEl Paso County
Circumstances of Disappearance Missing in July 1980 while hitchhiking to meet a friend in Ft. Garland CO , 136 miles away.

Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Wavy & curly
Body Hair Description --
Facial Hair Description Full beard at the time of his disappearance.
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown

Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
Small burn on right Arm Has lots of tiny brown moles on his back`

lothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
He was carrying a green back pack with a leather bottom. He carried a rust colored nylon wallet manufactured by the Rainbow Co. His wallet may have contained a ticket from a Colorado Springs pawn shop.

Clothing
off white shirt and jeans

Footwear
maroon tennis shoes with gold stipes

Jewelry
A distinctive silver colored medallion with a face on it. An African trade bead on a leather thong, he also wore this around his neck with the above medallion. Photos of the above can be seen under documents on a Amedeo Vigil Flyer.

Original

Original

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Missing Person Case

The Lost & The Found

Amadeo Vigil – The Charley Project
amadeo_vigil_1.jpg

• Missing Since 07/11/1980
  • Missing From Colorado Springs, Colorado
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 10/11/1955 (63)
  • Age 24 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6 - 5'7, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description An off-white shirt, Levi's jeans, maroon sneakers with gold stripes, a silver neck chain with a quarter-sized round happy face medallion, and a leather necklace with African beads.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Brown hair, brown/green eyes. Vigil has a faded scar on his forehead, a small burn scar on his right arm and numerous small brown moles on his back. He had a full beard at the time of his disappearance.

Wow! The date gives me pause, but nearly everything else about Amadeo seems to match our John Doe. From the dental impressions, it's obvious that his teeth with in very poor condition. The one thing that makes me want to rule him out is that it makes no mention of him having false teeth. I know sometimes in missing persons cases, the family and authorities will hold back on mentioning certain distinguishing marks to weed out legit leads from false ones, but things like false teeth are usually not among them.

I definitely think from what I can see in the sketches that he is Hispanic rather than white.

Last edited:
Wow! The date gives me pause, but nearly everything else about Amadeo seems to match our John Doe. From the dental impressions, it's obvious that his teeth with in very poor condition. The one thing that makes me want to rule him out is that it makes no mention of him having false teeth. I know sometimes in missing persons cases, the family and authorities will hold back on mentioning certain distinguishing marks to weed out legit leads from false ones, but things like false teeth are usually not among them.

I definitely think from what I can see in the sketches that he is Hispanic rather than white.

Yes Bobby88 I thought it was odd they included the mold of his teeth. But why would he have molds if his teeth made if he was not getting replacement teeth? I can't think of any other reason. But they don't mention anything about his teeth. It's odd.

And yes To me (a Hispanic woman)that sketch totally looks like a lighter skinned Hispanic man to me.

Still haven't given up looking for a heavier guy w bad teeth just in case that is what he looked like before (that is assuming he was reported missing before his makeover)

Someone else on a different forum where I have a thread on this case noticed something in the Namus page that I totally missed. His jacket in the Doe Network description is listed as "dirty blue". I assumed that they were referring to a grayish or smoky blue color which is occasionally called a dirty blue (similar to describing a hair color as "dirty blonde"). But on Namus, they specify that the coat was in "very dirty condition". The user who pointed this out indicated that he may have been very newly homeless. I guess it's possible, but they make no mention of his other clothing being old or soiled, which leads me to believe that they fairly new well-kept. And the dental work is really what keeps me from believing that this man was destitute. The jacket could have been one of those worn-out but extremely comfortable pieces of clothing that he just couldn't bear to get rid of no matter how shabby it was. We've all had at least one such article.

If it was Amadeo who was apparently hitchhiking from one part of Colorado to another to see a friend, how and why would he have ended up in California? The two states aren't exactly close, particularly if you're hitchhiking the whole way. And why would he have told people that he was from LA?

Yes, I think he definitely Hispanic. When I first saw him, I could kinda see him as possibly Italian or Jewish. But the more I look at him, the more money I put on him being a light-skinned Latino. I actually think he kind of looks like Johnnie Herrera who went missing from Oxnard in 1971 (he's my avatar and he did have facial hair around the time he was last seen), but the time gap makes it highly unlikely. One of the problems with the sketches is his facial expression. I have a feeling that that was his permanent death grimace from when police arrived; it's not a "normal" expression. In life, without his blank stare and mouth hanging open, he may have looked totally different. I'm just surprised they didn't sketch him with his mouth closed.

Good call on the jacket. If it happened to be truly dirty could it be that this guy had been in a drug program or some institution where he needed to put his initials in his sneakers?oh and Bobby88 your avatar reminds me of Wilmer Valderrama!

Good call on the jacket. If it happened to be truly dirty could it be that this guy had been in a drug program or some institution where he needed to put his initials in his sneakers?oh and Bobby88 your avatar reminds me of Wilmer Valderrama!

LOL I showed Johnnie's picture to someone else once and the first thing they said was "Oh, he's handsome! He looks like the foreign kid from That 70s Show!":D Johnnie was actually an identical twin; his brother's name is Joe.

The rehab theory makes sense. Perhaps he fell back into his old habits and went to the park for a drug transaction and the dealer killed him. Or he was actually trying to stay clean but still owed someone money that he couldn't pay back. I think a big key to this mystery is finding out why he was in the park at that hour.

someone just made a post for this guy.. I just thought I would include because of the timeframe and Sacramento... even though the UID said he was from LA does not mean he really was from LA... The photo they have here looks sort of very young so I don't think it what he looked like when he went missing...but I could be wrong... anyway..
CA - CA - David Rico, 30, Sacramento, 1 Jan 1980

I am so excited you guys are talking about the case you have no idea I’ve been back-and-forth with the detective for a couple months now trying to get this case reopened !!!! A lot of missing persons on the mess they all have DNA on file so most likely it’s not going to be him I am so into this case because I am from Sacramento California I grew up right down the street where the incident happened I have a bunch of different theories I can share them with you guys first I want to say from what he was wearing he was wearing a lot of blue second he was from Los Angeles and in the area where he was found is a gang Area They are northenos they wear red and if you’re from Los Angeles you wear blue you’re a Soreno It could be gang related if they see someone in that area wearing all blue it could be a instant robbery also it said dental work was done weeks prior where he was saying is that Burger King it is inside the Greyhound bus station another theory is he could have just got out of prison and they could have done the dental work in prison and gave him a prescription eyeglasses maybe his family still thinks he’s in prison it could be gang related if they see someone in that area wearing all blue it could be instant robbery also it said dental work was done weeks prior where he was seen is that Burger King it is inside the Greyhound bus station another theory is he could have just got out of prison and they could have done the dental work in prison and gave him prescription eyeglasses maybe his family still thinks he’s in prison I also had a psychic on Facebook it could be total but it kind of does make sense I will post those shortly and I’ll see what else I have in my phone

Damn I can’t find my screenshots but the psychic said that he came from out of town to see a girl to go to a doctors appointment it could Have been for an abortion but she said that he was young he just had a really hard life And there’s still someone in that area the girl I guess and she knows what happened and she’s not talking

I’ve been trying to find a link to this case for so long now please help me !!!!! It happened where I grew up at still 15 minutes from my house The Burger King was inside the Greyhound bus station a psychic told me he came to Sacramento to go to a doctors appointment with a female friend and she is still in the area maybe she’s the one that called and she knows what happened

Also initials and shoes I’m thinking he might have just got out of prison maybe that’s where he got his dental work and his prescription glasses a lot of people that just got out of prison hang out at that greyhound bus station maybe that’s why he had initials in his shoes

Also initials and shoes I’m thinking he might have just got out of prison maybe that’s where he got his dental work and his prescription glasses a lot of people that just got out of prison hang out at that greyhound bus station maybe that’s why he had initials in his shoes

I had thought the prison theory myself but was not sure if they wee doing dentures then. I had an old boyfriend that went to prison about 30 yrs ago and he got glasses and got his teeth fixed. He did not get dentures but got fillings in his molars and a cap on one of his front teeth.
The prison theory also works with the stretch mars as many guys that go to prison get out and are in shape since they spend slot of the time working out.

Yes that is a very big possibility also when you get out of prison they sent you on the bus if you go to the Greyhound station you see a lot of people that just got out of jail just got out of prison but I don’t know why he would walk over 10 blocks to the empty field I think he was definitely meeting someone it could have been a girl and I’m sure he was robbed because he was found with no wallet and no money he had money to purchase Burger King I just can’t find any missing persons at all and like I said a lot of missing persons that are online most have DNA already on file I just wish it being such an old case one of the oldest in Sacramento County that they would just reopen it and do a better composite sketch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back