Australia Australia - Tegan Lane, 2 days old, Sydney, 14 Sept 1996 *K. Lane guilty*

BBM

I'm sure there are non-dysfunctional families but I don't think they're very common. The parents were brave to do those interviews for Keli's sake. I don't like to imagine the kinds of things that would be said if I or my family put ourselves in that position.

Yeah, there but for the grace of God go I :)

One of the replies that caught my eye:

Was the trial judge caught by surprise by the 11-1 vote? Did he think 11 innocent, 1 guilty, when he found out about that count, instead of the other way round? Is this possible?

One of the replies that caught my eye:

Was the trial judge caught by surprise by the 11-1 vote? Did he think 11 innocent, 1 guilty, when he found out about that count, instead of the other way round? Is this possible?

Maybe

When the jury retired to deliberate, Justice Whealy felt that the prosecution had not established the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

“I thought the jury might take a similar view,” he recalled.

All the holes in the Keli Lane trial: the missing witness, the bizarre theory, the silent defence

Maybe

When the jury retired to deliberate, Justice Whealy felt that the prosecution had not established the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

“I thought the jury might take a similar view,” he recalled.

All the holes in the Keli Lane trial: the missing witness, the bizarre theory, the silent defence

Too late now. I don’t think you could find fault with Justice Whealy for his decision.

This case is really starting to irk me. I’ve heard this all before. Perpetrators and their lawyers ‘blaming’ everyone else but themselves. ‘The prior defence was inadequate, the prosecution was unfair, the trial magistrate inept, etc.’

In this case add the excuse, ‘I gave the infant to her biological father who can’t be found. In the presence of his partner and his mother who can’t be found either. In fact, the infant (who is now an adult) also can’t be found.’

Sheesh, people, stop whinging, take responsibility for your actions and pay the penalty if you have broken the law.

Last edited:
Too late now. I don’t think you could find fault with Justice Whealy for his decision.

This case is really starting to irk me. I’ve heard this all before. Blaming everyone else but themselves. The defence was inadequate, the prosecution was unfair, the magistrate inept. In this case add the excuse, ‘I gave the infant to her biological father who can’t be found. In the presence of his partner and his mother who can’t be found either. In fact, the infant (now an adult) also can’t be found.

Sheesh, people, take responsibility for your actions and pay the penalty if you have broken the law.

Yes indeed Bo.

''I have to be careful because it's on appeal … [but] the baby was never found, so I felt that this was a difficult case for the Crown to prove. Mark Tedeschi was the Crown prosecutor, and he is a very thorough, capable fellow who really presented a powerful case. But it wasn't without its gaps, as I saw it. I wasn't, you know, for myself convinced that the Crown had proved its case. It wasn't my call, it was the jury's call, so my task was to try and make sure that the jury gave the woman a fair trial.''

As the trial was under way, Whealy often found himself looking at Lane, wondering ''If you did this, why was it so?''

''It didn't make sense to me for a mother to do that.''

'I still have nightmares'

Last edited:
Yes indeed Bo.

''I have to be careful because it's on appeal … [but] the baby was never found, so I felt that this was a difficult case for the Crown to prove. Mark Tedeschi was the Crown prosecutor, and he is a very thorough, capable fellow who really presented a powerful case. But it wasn't without its gaps, as I saw it. I wasn't, you know, for myself convinced that the Crown had proved its case. It wasn't my call, it was the jury's call, so my task was to try and make sure that the jury gave the woman a fair trial.''

As the trial was under way, Whealy often found himself looking at Lane, wondering ''If you did this, why was it so?''

''It didn't make sense to me for a mother to do that.''

I find it hard to make sense of this crime. I can’t, because it is senseless. Any murder is just that, regardless whether it a mother killing her child, an intimate partner killing the other, a stranger killing another. I suppose it’s more insensible because mothers are ‘supposed to be’ nurturing protectors, life-givers not life-takers. Sadly, there are abusive, irresponsible, sometimes murderous mothers and we have to accept that fact as abhorrent as it is.

I don’t know if Keli is factually guilty or not but she is, at this moment legally guilty, as imperfect as that may be. Her trial may have been chaotic and, if there are grounds for a judicial review, I wish the BoHII the best in securing a retrial if it is warranted. Until then, and in the absence of Tegan, I will have to err on the side that Keli is guilty and is exactly where she should be—incarcerated. The only other alternative is that she should be somewhere that she can receive treatment so she can lead a fulfilling and happy life (in the company of her daughter) when she’s released.

Last edited:
I find it hard to make sense of this crime. I can’t, because it is senseless. Any murder is just that, regardless whether it a mother killing her child, an intimate partner killing the other, a stranger killing another. I suppose it’s more insensible because mothers are ‘supposed to be’ nurturing protectors, life-givers not life-takers. Sadly, there are abusive, irresponsible, sometimes murderous mothers and we have to accept that fact as abhorrent as it is.

I don’t know if Keli is factually guilty or not but she is, at this moment legally guilty, as imperfect as that may be. Her trial may have been chaotic and, if there are grounds for a judicial review, I wish the BoHII the best in securing a retrial if it is warranted. Until then, and in the absence of Tegan, I will have to err on the side that Keli is guilty and is exactly where she should be—incarcerated. The only other alternative is that she should be somewhere that she can receive treatment so she can lead a fulfilling and happy life (in the company of her daughter) when she’s released.

Have to agree Bo.
We did not hear much from Keli for years.What little we have recently heard still leaves that one question unanswered. Where is Tegan?

Episode one of exposed.
Keli's words only - her explaining that phone call with John Borovnik to Caro.

It was like picking up the phone to my worst nightmare.
He just just started peppering questions at me.
It was like bringing it back to me all in one hit.
I felt like I was being attacked .. attacked would be a bit strong in that way. I felt like I was being made accountable.

Accountable on the spot, to inform a child protection worker where her daughter was, that she walked out of Auburn Hospital with on the 14 September 1996.
But, she denied ever having given birth. Why?

Have to agree Bo.
We did not hear much from Keli for years.What little we have recently heard still leaves that one question unanswered. Where is Tegan?

Episode one of exposed.

I felt like I was being attacked .. attacked would be a bit strong in that way. I felt like I was being made accountable.

Accountable on the spot, to inform a child protection worker where her daughter was, that she walked out of Auburn Hospital with on the 14 September 1996.

Yes, why?

Just noticed the interesting postscript to your quoted article (above):

‘Over coffee, we ponder the peculiarities of the human soul, the ability of some seemingly normal people to compartmentalise and wall off acts of depravity or violence.

''It makes you think about the human nature of people, doesn't it … that you can be three or four things at once,'' [Justice Whealy] says.’

Have to agree Bo.

Episode one of exposed.

It doesn't make sense that Keli killed Tegan. But it doesn't make sense either, many other things she had done, that have been determined to be true, the other lies that she had told.

It doesn't make sense either, what else could have happened to Tegan.

There were a lot of gaps in prosecution's case. I guess the jury filled in the gaps in their mind.

Two judges reviewed the trial two years later, and dismissed all the grounds listed for appeal.

I doubt a retrial would get a different outcome. There may be new evidence but it could go either way.

To me, the only version of events that would fit with Tegan and/or her parents not identifying themselves is if, in fact, Tegan’s was an illegal adoption. I could see the broker being cast as Mel’s ‘mother’ and the adoptive father as ‘Andrew Morris/Norris’ with his partner/the adoptive mother as ‘Mel’ in one of Keli’s convoluted versions of the ‘truth’. But, then again, how and where would Keli come into contact with an black market baby broker?

I remember it being said that Keli hadn’t accessed her bank account for a significant period of time when she was pregnant with Tegan. Add to that her not wanting Tegan to have her neonatal heel-prick (Guthrie Test) done and her covert departure from the hospital. Could Keli have sold Tegan and be lying about the players and the circumstances, even now?

Again, just thoughts.

Last edited:
First time poster and absolute novice Websleuther here, so be gentle with me if I am not up with all the lingo and the way things roll around here.

I joined to specifically discuss this case as it has had me intrigued for years. I was absolutely shocked when Keli was found guilty of murder in 2010 as based on all that I had read in the media, it did not seem beyond reasonable doubt that something else could have happened to Tegan. Nevertheless, Keli is the last known person to have seen her alive, and cannot give a provable explanation as to what happened.

Bohemian - I agree with you about the illegal adoption scenario.

What is the easiest way to put into effect an illegal adoption?

Simple - you lie about the biological father on the birth certificate, i.e. paternity fraud. The "biological" father takes custody of the child, no formal adoption is required!!!

Could this be where Keli's story about giving Tegan to the biological father originates?

When she was first questioned by police in 2001, was she to know that Tegan's birth certificate could not be found? If paternity fraud was involved, Keli would not want to admit that. And if Tegan's birth certificate was found and she was with her "biological" father then the details would match.

Keli says he gave the birth registration forms to "Andrew". Was it the intention who ever he was that he register himself as the biological father regardless of whether he actually was?

Keli did basically admit to an illegal adoption type scenario to Virginia Fung, the adoption case worker in 1999 by saying Tegan was living with a couple in Perth. Is this scenario really that different if you consider that "Andrew" who ever he is, may not actually be the "biological" father in the true sense of the word?

Things that really stand out for me:
- Keli has never recognised early pregnancy symptoms since her very first pregnancy in 1992. Every single pregnancy after that she seems to find out late, sometime in the second trimester.
- if you find out that you are pregnant late, in the second trimester, how can you possibly know how far along you are? Especially if you never receive any antenatal care.
- if she was in a relationship with 2 men as she says she was, how can she know who is the father?
- she never told the biological fathers of her first and third children about the babies, why would Tegan be any different?
- she seemed to want Tegan to be born in a hurry. She was caught out lying about how far along she was in the pregnancy when she sought an induction at Ryde Hospital in that first week of September. She was assessed as only being 38 weeks and not overdue as she claimed. Of course she had not received antenatal care, so she probably really didn't know. The evidence actually was that the wedding was not that important to her. Something else is going on.
- if we assume Tegan was 39 weeks gestation when she was born on 12 September, this would put her conception date at about 27 December 1995 - things can take a few days to happen so at the far range, Tegan was possibly conceived between 22 December - 27 December 1995, i.e. around Christmas time. If you are in a serious relationship with someone, wouldn't more likely to notice your absence around Christmas time?
- the bank account - Keli didn't touch her bank account from April 1995 to October 1995. The timing looks suspicious. Has she ever given a reason for this?
- who did she name as the father on the hospital records? I think I read somewhere that she said it was unknown. Why would she do this if she was really giving Tegan to her true biological father?

This of course begs the question as to how she made contact with a couple of arrange an illegal adoption. The internet was in its infancy then and not too many homes had the internet at home. She was a student, as was I at that time. I had internet access at Uni and an email Uni account. I wonder whether Keli's student email records were ever accessed? No doubt destroyed now.

The arrangement of paying a relinquishing mother some living expenses while pregnant, smacks of a US type arrangement that is perfectly legal over there, but not legal in Australia. Prospective adoptive couples in the US also advertise on the internet????? Something to ponder!

I am afraid "Andrew" could really be anyone as could "Mel" and "Tegan."

I am reminded of what Dr Anne Buist said in the ABC Exposed series about the murkiness of this case and the top 3 things that do not ring true and that is the situation with: 1. Andrew Morris/Norris, 2 Andrew Morris/Norris and 3 Andrew Morris/Norris.

Keli dug herself a hole as Andrew Morris/Norris could not be found and there is no explanation from her that rings true. Is that because what she says is only half true? She gave Tegan to a man who was to register himself as Tegan's biological father in an adoption fraud but he actually wasn't.

If she is still lying about this situation, as Dr Anne Buist seems to indicate she is, then I am afraid we may never know what happened to Tegan.

To me, the only version of events that would fit with Tegan and/or her parents not identifying themselves is if, in fact, Tegan’s was an illegal adoption. I could see the broker being cast as Mel’s ‘mother’ and the adoptive father as ‘Andrew Morris/Norris’ with his partner/the adoptive mother as ‘Mel’ in one of Keli’s convoluted versions of the ‘truth’. But, then again, how and where would Keli come into contact with an black market baby broker?

I remember it being said that Keli hadn’t accessed her bank account for a significant period of time when she was pregnant with Tegan. Add to that her not wanting Tegan to have her neonatal heel-prick (Guthrie Test) done and her covert departure from the hospital. Could Keli have sold Tegan and be lying about the players and the circumstances, even now?

Again, just thoughts.

would she really spend her life in jail to protect the identities of an illegal adoption?

I don't think she murdered tegan.
imo she simply abandoned her in an industrial bin and the poor little thing didn't survive the elements. by the time the building site was active Monday morning her tiny little body had expired and hidden in the rubble. nobody noticed :-(

First time poster and absolute novice Websleuther here, so be gentle with me if I am not up with all the lingo and the way things roll around here.

I joined to specifically discuss this case as it has had me intrigued for years. I was absolutely shocked when Keli was found guilty of murder in 2010 as based on all that I had read in the media, it did not seem beyond reasonable doubt that something else could have happened to Tegan. Nevertheless, Keli is the last known person to have seen her alive, and cannot give a provable explanation as to what happened.

Bohemian - I agree with you about the illegal adoption scenario.

What is the easiest way to put into effect an illegal adoption?

Simple - you lie about the biological father on the birth certificate, i.e. paternity fraud. The "biological" father takes custody of the child, no formal adoption is required!!!

Could this be where Keli's story about giving Tegan to the biological father originates?

When she was first questioned by police in 2001, was she to know that Tegan's birth certificate could not be found? If paternity fraud was involved, Keli would not want to admit that. And if Tegan's birth certificate was found and she was with her "biological" father then the details would match.

Keli says he gave the birth registration forms to "Andrew". Was it the intention who ever he was that he register himself as the biological father regardless of whether he actually was?

Keli did basically admit to an illegal adoption type scenario to Virginia Fung, the adoption case worker in 1999 by saying Tegan was living with a couple in Perth. Is this scenario really that different if you consider that "Andrew" who ever he is, may not actually be the "biological" father in the true sense of the word?

Things that really stand out for me:
- Keli has never recognised early pregnancy symptoms since her very first pregnancy in 1992. Every single pregnancy after that she seems to find out late, sometime in the second trimester.
- if you find out that you are pregnant late, in the second trimester, how can you possibly know how far along you are? Especially if you never receive any antenatal care.
- if she was in a relationship with 2 men as she says she was, how can she know who is the father?
- she never told the biological fathers of her first and third children about the babies, why would Tegan be any different?
- she seemed to want Tegan to be born in a hurry. She was caught out lying about how far along she was in the pregnancy when she sought an induction at Ryde Hospital in that first week of September. She was assessed as only being 38 weeks and not overdue as she claimed. Of course she had not received antenatal care, so she probably really didn't know. The evidence actually was that the wedding was not that important to her. Something else is going on.
- if we assume Tegan was 39 weeks gestation when she was born on 12 September, this would put her conception date at about 27 December 1995 - things can take a few days to happen so at the far range, Tegan was possibly conceived between 22 December - 27 December 1995, i.e. around Christmas time. If you are in a serious relationship with someone, wouldn't more likely to notice your absence around Christmas time?
- the bank account - Keli didn't touch her bank account from April 1995 to October 1995. The timing looks suspicious. Has she ever given a reason for this?
- who did she name as the father on the hospital records? I think I read somewhere that she said it was unknown. Why would she do this if she was really giving Tegan to her true biological father?

This of course begs the question as to how she made contact with a couple of arrange an illegal adoption. The internet was in its infancy then and not too many homes had the internet at home. She was a student, as was I at that time. I had internet access at Uni and an email Uni account. I wonder whether Keli's student email records were ever accessed? No doubt destroyed now.

The arrangement of paying a relinquishing mother some living expenses while pregnant, smacks of a US type arrangement that is perfectly legal over there, but not legal in Australia. Prospective adoptive couples in the US also advertise on the internet????? Something to ponder!

I am afraid "Andrew" could really be anyone as could "Mel" and "Tegan."

I am reminded of what Dr Anne Buist said in the ABC Exposed series about the murkiness of this case and the top 3 things that do not ring true and that is the situation with: 1. Andrew Morris/Norris, 2 Andrew Morris/Norris and 3 Andrew Morris/Norris.

Keli dug herself a hole as Andrew Morris/Norris could not be found and there is no explanation from her that rings true. Is that because what she says is only half true? She gave Tegan to a man who was to register himself as Tegan's biological father in an adoption fraud but he actually wasn't.

If she is still lying about this situation, as Dr Anne Buist seems to indicate she is, then I am afraid we may never know what happened to Tegan.

Wow, welcome @CuriosityKilledtheCat—what an absolutely stellar first post! You’ve given me much to think about.

I’m not sure I’m seriously entertaining an illegal adoption scenario, although it has been swimming around in my thoughts as the only possible explanation for Tegan’s (and ‘family’s’) continued disappearance, other than, of course, Keli abandoning her or physically taking her life.

If Keli and/or her advocates cannot present compelling evidence that Tegan is alive, or that she was taken into care by Andrew Morris/Norris, his mother and his partner, Mel; I have no choice but to conclude that Keli did act in such a manner to cause Tegan’s death on or about 14 September 1996. Any other conclusion doesn’t fit with the principle of
Occam’s Razor.

would she really spend her life in jail to protect the identities of an illegal adoption?

imo she simply abandoned her in an industrial bin and the poor little thing didn't survive the elements. by the time the building site was active Monday morning her tiny little body had expired and hidden in the rubble. nobody noticed :-(

Yes, that scenario just doesn’t pass the pub test, does it, k-mac?

Sadly, I think you’re pretty close to the truth as far as the circumstances of Tegan’s demise goes. Poor little bub—she really never stood a chance of going home, being nurtured by her biological Mum and becoming part of a loving extended circle of family and friends. I think Tegan is often forgotten about in all of Keli’s drama. Understandably so, I suppose, as there are no photos of her as a newborn being proudly held up and presented to the world, no biological evidence or birth certificate to show that she ever existed. No grave, no name, no nothing—other than in the fading memories of those who scrawled notes on the yellowing pages of NSW Health, DoCS and Police files. Such a tragedy and terribly, terribly unnecessary.

Last edited:

Abandoning a newborn in an industrial bin absolutely is murder! Unless done by an idiot who thought an infant would thrive there. Keli isn't an idiot.

Welcome Curiositykilledthecat!

My doubt about the illegal adoption scenario is, how could the punishment be worse than 18 years in jail, as a convicted murderer? If she is that irrational, no one can help her.

Second the welcome.
Yes Marple, immunity for anything but murder.

Wow, welcome @CuriosityKilledtheCat—what an absolutely stellar first post! You’ve given me much to think about.

I’m not sure I’m seriously entertaining an illegal adoption scenario, although it has been swimming around in my thoughts as the only possible explanation for Tegan’s (and ‘family’s’) continued disappearance, other than, of course, Keli abandoning her or physically taking her life.

If Keli and/or her advocates cannot present compelling evidence that Tegan is alive, or that she was taken into care by Andrew Morris/Norris, his mother and his partner, Mel; I have no choice but to conclude that Keli did act in such a manner to cause Tegan’s death on or about 14 September 1996. Any other conclusion doesn’t fit with the principle of
Occam’s Razor.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Via Marple, Sosocurious, k-mac and Bohemian.

Yes the immunity thing is puzzling. At the Coronial Inquest I believe the police searches had been done but were not exhaustive. Searches were still continuing during the trial. As far as Keli was concerned she had told the truth. She had given Tegan to her "biological" father, there is nothing further for her to say. She still does not know that no possible search or any further searches the police do will turn up Tegan. She has nothing to confess in her mind.

The minute silence during one of her police interviews was also telling. Maybe she was contemplating coming clean about the false "biological" father situation then too, but this "Andrew" should have been on the birth certificate!

At her trial, she does not believe she would go down on the murder charge. The burden of proof is on the Prosecution and they have no direct evidence that anything happened to Tegan other than she cannot be found. Her problem is that her story of Andrew Morris/Norris does not ring true. It still doesn't and if he wasn't and never was the true biological father of Tegan then this may be a reason for that. She still had nothing to prove at the trial. She also went down on false swearing charges too. It is totally her MO to lie about the biological fathers of her children.

Keli has been trying for years to have her case looked into. She appealed and lost. I believe she has been writing to others who she think may help since losing her appeals. Only Caro Meldrum Hanna has now taken up her case, but she certainly isn't the only person she has written to or sought help from since being incarcerated.

Yes, Via Marple - I am leaning towards Keli being so irrational that she thinks she can get away with telling half truths. And sadly maybe she can't be helped? She couldn't fool Dr Anne Buise, who I am inclined to respect as a leading expert on these cases. She noted that Keli's story about "Andrew" was too superficial and her body language changed!

Maybe the information she is now releasing about "Andrew" via Caro Meldrum Hanna is true and she hopes will lead to the man she gave Tegan too but I highly doubt that all aspects of that part of her story are true. I hope the ABC Exposed Team is able to unpack her lies from the truth and actually uncover new evidence.

The scenarios put forward by Dr Buise were that it was conceivable that Keli may have abandoned Tegan somewhere or handed her to someone else, but actively murdering her baby did not fit! I leaning to the someone else being involved here. I don't think this "Andrew" is a total fabrication. Surely she wouldn't still be that stupid after 8 years in the clink!

Bohemian - I am off to learn about Occam's Razor. Sounds interesting.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Via Marple, Sosocurious, k-mac and Bohemian.

Yes the immunity thing is puzzling. At the Coronial Inquest I believe the police searches had been done but were not exhaustive. Searches were still continuing during the trial. As far as Keli was concerned she had told the truth. She had given Tegan to her "biological" father, there is nothing further for her to say. She still does not know that no possible search or any further searches the police do will turn up Tegan. She has nothing to confess in her mind.

The minute silence during one of her police interviews was also telling. Maybe she was contemplating coming clean about the false "biological" father situation then too, but this "Andrew" should have been on the birth certificate!

At her trial, she does not believe she would go down on the murder charge. The burden of proof is on the Prosecution and they have no direct evidence that anything happened to Tegan other than she cannot be found. Her problem is that her story of Andrew Morris/Norris does not ring true. It still doesn't and if he wasn't and never was the true biological father of Tegan then this may be a reason for that. She still had nothing to prove at the trial. She also went down on false swearing charges too. It is totally her MO to lie about the biological fathers of her children.

Keli has been trying for years to have her case looked into. She appealed and lost. I believe she has been writing to others who she think may help since losing her appeals. Only Caro Meldrum Hanna has now taken up her case, but she certainly isn't the only person she has written to or sought help from since being incarcerated.

Yes, Via Marple - I am leaning towards Keli being so irrational that she thinks she can get away with telling half truths. And sadly maybe she can't be helped? She couldn't fool Dr Anne Buise, who I am inclined to respect as a leading expert on these cases. She noted that Keli's story about "Andrew" was too superficial and her body language changed!

Maybe the information she is now releasing about "Andrew" via Caro Meldrum Hanna is true and she hopes will lead to the man she gave Tegan too but I highly doubt that all aspects of that part of her story are true. I hope the ABC Exposed Team is able to unpack her lies from the truth and actually uncover new evidence.

The scenarios put forward by Dr Buise were that it was conceivable that Keli may have abandoned Tegan somewhere or handed her to someone else, but actively murdering her baby did not fit! I leaning to the someone else being involved here. I don't think this "Andrew" is a total fabrication. Surely she wouldn't still be that stupid after 8 years in the clink!

Bohemian - I am off to learn about Occam's Razor. Sounds interesting.

I wonder if, after all of these years, Keli simply believes her own lies? Maybe anything else would destroy her psychologically.

(Also, don’t ‘they’ say, ‘There’s always a grain of truth to every lie.’?)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back