CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the PI given the surveillance video over to police? If not, why not?

I'm leery of a PI saying they have surveillance video and making conclusions about it when no one else has seen it. We can speculate on facts but not on things that may be or should be. Facts come from LE, and MSM. Verified insiders are allowed to
speak without linking what they say to a to a verified source. We can choose to believe or disbelieve what they say....
but only when verified.

I'd like to hear what LE says about the surveillance video. And what's the harm of LE then releasing it?! Could be there are credibility issues with the PI, or the video itself. At this point, who knows?!

I assumed the PI was referring to video that police had found from a business, park or residence nearby. They have made a vague reference to such in the past, haven't they?

The PI has been on this case for less than 4 business days. His reference to ANY evidence is, thus, a reference to data that was already in the possession of LE, family, etc. Why they don't release the video? Good question. Possibly because it's useless in identifying people (low quality) and thus releasing it would do nothing. But one COULD still COUNT bodies: 4 went back to Rosas, 4 came out. Et cetera.

And this board has no shortage of speculation on things that 'may or should be.' Ex: the 911 call, bare patches, how far back his car actually went, who he was with and why, etc. I'd love to know more about the number of bodies seen in the video, and why no one can figure out how MW's cell detached from the cellular tower.

The PI has been on this case for less than 4 business days. His reference to ANY evidence is, thus, a reference to data that was already in the possession of LE, family, etc. Why they don't release the video? Good question. Possibly because it's useless in identifying people (low quality) and thus releasing it would do nothing. But one COULD still COUNT bodies: 4 went back to Rosas, 4 came out. Et cetera.

And this board has no shortage of speculation on things that 'may or should be.' Ex: the 911 call, bare patches, how far back his car actually went, who he was with and why, etc. I'd love to know more about the number of bodies seen in the video, and why no one can figure out how MW's cell detached from the cellular tower.

I agree that the CCTV is very important at this point as well as a body count - which if vid is grainy still may be able to produce. And as far as LE’s search warrant for cell coverage, could it just be as simple as not being returned yet?

Question: Do we have a rough sketch of the trail with each piece of MW’s car part coming off? This trail is one cement road leading from the trailhead, past the maintenance gate that was open that day, turning into a dirt road, past the microwave tower, and then a dirt trail that then verves off and you can go down the narrow side road that MW took (that goes down & around & up & under to the outlook) or you can go up to concrete steps and to a concrete platform to the end of the overlook. I hope I described that correctly.

As we discussed previously upthread, it would take MW’s car quite a bit of speed due to the road conditions, the placement of his vehicle and the car parts falling off of his newish car. All our own opinions.

1). If we have a sketch of where the car parts were placed on the trail, we would be able to supposition based on the CCTV time stamp of the 4 or so people whether or not they were up to nefarious deeds. JMO - based on the fact if they had to walk over newer car parts and tire tread marks, any normal person would follow said tire marks to see if there was a person in distress & call 911.

2). Did LE take photo’s of MW’s tire tread, determine rate of speed - was MW’s car equipped with black box or chipped - ,or note how much fuel was left in tank?

3). My newer car also has the capability to determine due to weight distribution if Primary Driver is not the driver, possibly MW’s car had that capability as well?

4). Did MW take care of his car? Based on what was found at the scene...is anything missing - not personal effects, purely car parts themselves, i.e. branding, lugs, etc.

Perhaps this is why LE keeps things close to the chest. I suspect they regret sharing this video with anyone. Especially with someone who will "blab" to the public how they interpret it. Thus giving the public reasons to think LE is hiding evidence. I don't believe they are. Maybe it's to keep amateur sleuthers from going down every rabbit hole and spreading unverified rumors.

As far as the bare areas on the side of the mountain where MW's car was found is; is it possible MW's body is at the bottom of those brushless places.
One of the arguements made about searching the mountainside was "Oh, the brush would have stopped the body" from rolling anywhere".

Perhaps this is why LE keeps things close to the chest. I suspect they regret sharing this video with anyone. Especially with someone who will "blab" to the public how they interpret it. Thus giving the public reasons to think LE is hiding evidence. I don't believe they are. Maybe it's to keep amateur sleuthers from going down every rabbit hole and spreading unverified rumors.

As far as the bare areas on the side of the mountain where MW's car was found is; is it possible MW's body is at the bottom of those brushless places.
One of the arguements made about searching the mountainside was "Oh, the brush would have stopped the body" from rolling anywhere".

Click on @joeconejo’s name to read all his posts bc if I am not wrong, I believe he indicated upthread that SAR repelled down where MW’s car was found to make sure he was not down there.

People repelled down those "bare areas."

Re surv vid: I'm not aware of anyone blabbing about their interpretation of the video after viewing it. Maybe I missed something.

@OnYourLeft Yeah, obtaining info on the cellular forensics is pretty quick. As example, the Marshalls put in a request and get the data within days; and some of it, depending on circumstances and data requested, does not require formalities. 'Did the handset IMSI detach?' is a pretty generic request and would tell LE whether someone manually turned off the phone vs all other scenarios. Most cars have phone chargers and disabling the undercarriage/bumpers does not impede the battery's ability to pump out <2 amps. But you never know.

Click on @joeconejo’s name to read all his posts bc if I am not wrong, I believe he indicated upthread that SAR repelled down where MW’s car was found to make sure he was not down there.
Yes, I saw the pictures of them in the brush near the edge. Did not know they repelled down the bare areas or further down the brush area.

1)I'd like to think MW walked off by himself and is somewhere safe getting his head together. That is my hope but logic tells me that's not what has happened.

2) Is he missing because he inadvertently slipped on the mountainside and is deceased. Logic points me in that direction.

3) He committed suicide. I hope he didn't. I mean he could have driven his car over the side had he wanted to.
I believe he had a moment of clarity and decided he wanted to live.

4) Do I think people came after him and hurt him? I haven't seen or heard enough evidence of that at this time.

The 2 or 3 "bare" patches down the mountain side beneath MW's car are interesting. What caused that? Rain flow from the footpath? What would have stopped MW should he had fallen down one of those "paths?

Where or in what photos did you see these bare patches?

I feel like it's not that weird he reached out to her rather than 911. I'm the same age as Matthew and I have texted my best friend in times of danger, thinking that I'd get out of the situation of course, but I feel like it's common to just shoot a text to a friend saying like "hey this place is sketchy". Now that I think back on all the times I've done that, I've never considered calling my parents or 911 cause I evaluated the situation as minor, maybe Matthew was in the same boat. I've also tried calling my best friend in situations where I feel unsafe, like walking back to my car at night, just to be on the phone with someone and look like I'm having a conversation on the other end with a witness listening. It's unfortunate that Matthew didn't call 911, but I don't think it's suspicious or odd that he contacted his friend to let her know what was going on, maybe he just wanted to look like he was busy on the phone when he might have encountered walking past a sketchy looking situation or individual.

That makes sense...I am older but I tend to hesitate to call 911 if I am not 100% certain that I'm in danger and get a vibe that it is safer not to get involved.

I have been reading the thread from Elaine Park's case and other area women and thinking that abducting relatively sober, fit people in broad daylight is a bit risky. Either the abductor is both stealth and lucky to happen upon victims in the perfect place at the perfect time...or the person looks nonthreatening or "official" - like a cop or ranger. & Then, it is like the good Samaritan cases where victims car was tampered with (... when was report of someone fixing their car?)...and then someone comes by to offer a lift. trashing the car would make it harder to tell if it was tampered with.

Is there any reason to think he stopped at a house on that small stretch of road off Mulholland past stunt? On the timeline/map it looks as though he missed the turn and then doubled back but why would it take 20 minutes to cover a 5 minute drive (from Mulholland/Old Topanga to 24900-ish area)?

Is there any reason to think he stopped at a house on that small stretch of road off Mulholland past stunt? On the timeline/map it looks as though he missed the turn and then doubled back but why would it take 20 minutes to cover a 5 minute drive (from Mulholland/Old Topanga to 24900-ish area)?
Exactly. The timeline on the map does raise more than one question similar to this. I chalked it up to MW being in a less-than-focused state of mind, driving erratic, stopping to look over the edge (at the view), and/or in the car with someone and they were messing around...

Endless unknowns with this one.

What is the talk of MW partying? Did he go to a party the night before his disappearance? Is it confirmed?

This board and all its contributors possess about 40-50% of the attainable information on this entire case (based on all the question, the uncertainties, what clearly wasn't known at the presser, etc). Thus far, it's been 36 pages of people bringing others up to speed (including myself at one time) on this 40-50%, then pontificating (sometimes directionless based on random gut feeling).

For this board to be of any significance, the bottom layer of 40-50% info needs to be hung up on a sidebar to the main window, and all queries for baseline info should go there...thus freeing up everyone's time to pontificate. More importantly, the missing ~50% needs to be delineated, ranked and then assessed. Specifically, is the unknown known to LE/someone? If not, why? And is it too late (clearly lots of potential evidence may have vanished).

Sorry to paddle against the current on this one. But nothing is being achieved. I'm sure others here could design a better solution that mine, and maybe more time should be spent on that.

Here's to hoping for more in this case.

This board and all its contributors possess about 40-50% of the attainable information on this entire case (based on all the question, the uncertainties, what clearly wasn't known at the presser, etc). Thus far, it's been 36 pages of people bringing others up to speed (including myself at one time) on this 40-50%, then pontificating (sometimes directionless based on random gut feeling).

For this board to be of any significance, the bottom layer of 40-50% info needs to be hung up on a sidebar to the main window, and all queries for baseline info should go there...thus freeing up everyone's time to pontificate. More importantly, the missing ~50% needs to be delineated, ranked and then assessed. Specifically, is the unknown known to LE/someone? If not, why? And is it too late (clearly lots of potential evidence may have vanished).

Sorry to paddle against the current on this one. But nothing is being achieved. I'm sure others here could design a better solution that mine, and maybe more time should be spent on that.

This is a true crime discussion board. Its sole purpose is to discuss crime cases in the news.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand your post. What do you think would make this board be of more significance?

Let me get this straight... So what you are implying is that we have left out attainable information regarding Matthew's case?

Really????
... Im calling you out, @finao , because Id like to know what attainable information you have knowledge of that weve all overlooked for the past two months?

Please do enlighten us.

In addition, what credentials have you established to respectably make the observation that only 40-50% of the posts on this thread are relevant when what you just posted serves no relevance whatsoever to this case?

Lastly, your disinclination with the overall functionality of this forum is rather obnoxious, and does not belong on MW's thread. Its probably best if you address the website owner and/or moderators directly with your complaints concerning what posts you deem significant and how you feel they should be classified.

Before you get too engaged in this kind of discussion, allow me to remind you to stay on topic and discuss Matthew's case.

For any other WS forum point, there are several other threads, please take it there. Any new ideas, improvement or question which may enrich WS are welcome!

What is this thread missing exactly that you know that we don't? You must know what happened and where he is?

Joe has already said he appreciates everyone's contributions.

I clicked on joeconejo to see if he definitively said that the areas below MW's car (including bare spaces) had been searched via repellers and I was unable to find that info. Could be I'm not looking in the right places. Would you be able to help me out with that?
TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member