FL - Brennen Rand, 2 mos, died from cocaine exposure, Hillsborough County, 24 Apr 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
Tampa mother charged with aggravated manslaughter of child after 2-month-old son dies

Megan Rand, 34, was arrested on Tuesday and charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child in the death of 2-month-old Brennen Rand.

Investigators say that on April 24, around 2:25 a.m., deputies responded to a call about an unresponsive child. Deputies transported Brennen to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

When detectives searched the home, they found several items of drug paraphernalia and narcotics usage within close proximity of the victim.

The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office determined the cause of death to be "diffuse
pulmonary hemorrhage with hypothermia due to cocaine exposure."

Rand is being held at the Orient Road Jail on a $100,000 bond.

upload_2018-10-20_23-47-59.jpegupload_2018-10-20_23-43-37.jpeg

Florida mom charged after crack found in dead newborn’s system

Hillsborough County mother arrested in death of 2-month-old who died from cocaine exposure

Tampa mom arrested after baby’s death blamed on cocaine exposure

Omg talk about how you portray yourself on SM.....this makes me sick

Megan Rand

Go back to April / May, ugh

Gets worse:

He is the second of her three children to die, according to the mother’s Facebook page. Rand wrote that her husband and 7-year-old daughter both died in 2016.

Tampa mom arrested after baby’s death blamed on cocaine exposure

Disposition hearing 1/22/19

http://pubrec10.hillsclerk.com/Unsecured/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=9005191
If you go back and look her husband sadly died after 11 years of marriage, followed by her young daughter who died of cancer and she has a special needs son to look after and then came along the baby who sadly died after ingesting cocaine.
As utterly irresponsible as it may be to breastfeed after taking cocaine, with the devastating consequences of her baby dying as a result, I see a young woman who has had a very difficult 2 years or more and is probably overwhelmed, somewhat depressed and self medicating to feel better. Does it make this right ? ABSOLUTELY NOT, NO WAY. But do I believe she did this on purpose? Absolutely not, I think it’s a tragedy all around and I think she needs some support and for compassion to be shown towards her. I sincerely hope that she is able to get the help that she clearly needs and turns her future around and has her son AJ once again by her side someday.
Losing her husband followed by her young daughter to cancer and looking after her special needs son singlehanded, it appears that the baby was very much wanted as a brightness amongst all the sadness. None of the other deaths were anything to do with what this young woman did or didn’t do, and it’s unfair IMO to leave your statement open ended by saying it gets worse , go back 2 years and her husband and daughter died too without expanding upon those remarks. I’m sure she has had enough negativity and horrible comments thrown her way already without us adding to them and without us sending her further down the rabbit hole of pain and self loathing and vulnerability.
Yes her baby died and it looks likely that it’s as a result of her own actions but please let us look at the bigger picture- there by the grace of god go any of us as we do not know how we would cope faced with all what she has faced in her young life so far ...

Last edited:
@Angleterre you are so right and God bless your compassionate soul. I only scratched the surface and I'm ashamed of that. Thank you for pointing out the reality of her life...one I should never have judged

@Angleterre you are so right and God bless your compassionate soul. I only scratched the surface and I'm ashamed of that. Thank you for pointing out the reality of her life...one I should never have judged
Mistivision
I know that you are a very good, kind hearted person with a compassionate soul as I experienced all that and more from you when I saw you literally singlehanded get Maricela Garcia’s investigation up and running. You were amazing and I know too of your recent health struggles , yet you are still here helping others in the way you know best. So I was a little surprised when I saw that it was you who had commented but because I’ve experienced your massive capacity to care and show compassion, often for people that you don’t know, I just put it down to you having a bad day as we all do from time to time or that you had skimmed over the thread without really looking ( possibly due to time constraints etc) which again we are all guilty of, myself included, at some time or another. So please don’t feel bad , the main thing is that you now realise a little more about her journey and have reflected on it.
So I applaud and thank you in equal measure - respect to you for owning it .
Although not as tragic circumstances as this young lady , I have had a rough few years , losing my dad followed by my Mum followed by my sister - all to lung cancer - all within a couple of years and unexpectedly. I then had a bad accident at work and was subsequently paralysed for a short time, having to learn to walk again and at the same time being diagnosed with a brain tumour , just as I was about to start IVF.
I then was medically retired from my career as a Senior Investigative Police Officer due to my injury from the accident and the limitations it placed upon me and after 22 years of serving , a job I loved and wanted to do from age 14, it was tough to say goodbye to. Then to top it all off, I went through IVF , very successfully in ad much as I’ve been blessed with beautiful twin children, but for my 18 year marriage to fall apart , mainly because of all the stress.
The reason I mention this is not for sympathy but to say that I almost went down the road of self medicating and can see how easy it is to take that road when you are hurting real bad.
I’m fortunate in that I’ve come out the other side but as ex LE , nobody in my social sphere would ever think that I got that close. Hence why I say there by the grace of god go any of us .
I’m a very positive person and I believe that no matter what happens in life, it’s meant to be and even if you can’t see it at the time, it happened for a reason and eventually, maybe in 1 year, 5 years or 10, something good will come from the bad times.
My children are my world, I’m so blessed to have them and although I lost my career, I’m very fortunate in that I get a medical pension so effectively I get paid to stay home and watch my children grow up . Now how fortunate is that ? And I can walk albeit I will never run again and I give back through voluntary work as and when I can . But not so long ago it was a different story and I just hope that this lady gets given the chance to turn her life around and fill it with positivity as I have been able to do x

Wow, you are one amazing and strong person and I could never look at you with pity. What you have overcome is a horrendous amount of pain.. one that I unfortunately didn't successfully overcome when I was younger. Thats why I have immense compassion for addicts yet get so mad at them at the same time. 22 years ago, I was them. My husband and father of my children died with a needle in his arm. My 18 year old daughter has just discovered meth. I fear drugs, I hate them and I'm angry with them. I know better than anyone that when a person is under the influence, they are not the person you love anymore but that person IS IN THERE...just lost. I forgot that and was mad at what this girl did to her baby....mostly out of fear that it could have been me and please God dont let it be my daughter. Does that make sense?
I'm glad it was you who called me out. I have such respect for you and read carefully anytime I see you post in the missings...it was like my dad saying he's disappointed in me lol...I immediately went back to see what I had done wrong. I will make amends for it as I go.
Congratulations on your beautiful babies and I am so glad that you are here to share your insight and knowledge. Hugs to you

Wow, you are one amazing and strong person and I could never look at you with pity. What you have overcome is a horrendous amount of pain.. one that I unfortunately didn't successfully overcome when I was younger. Thats why I have immense compassion for addicts yet get so mad at them at the same time. 22 years ago, I was them. My husband and father of my children died with a needle in his arm. My 18 year old daughter has just discovered meth. I fear drugs, I hate them and I'm angry with them. I know better than anyone that when a person is under the influence, they are not the person you love anymore but that person IS IN THERE...just lost. I forgot that and was mad at what this girl did to her baby....mostly out of fear that it could have been me and please God dont let it be my daughter. Does that make sense?
I'm glad it was you who called me out. I have such respect for you and read carefully anytime I see you post in the missings...it was like my dad saying he's disappointed in me lol...I immediately went back to see what I had done wrong. I will make amends for it as I go.
Congratulations on your beautiful babies and I am so glad that you are here to share your insight and knowledge. Hugs to you
Thankyou Mistivision for all your kind words. I’m sorry for what you have had to endure in the past and I pray and hope most sincerely that your 18 yr old daughter manages to avoid going down the drug route . I too value all your WS posts and look up to you so it’s a mutual love fest lol
Sincerely, I wish you and your family well and I’m sending big hugs and positive vibes through the airwaves to you all. Happy thanksgiving x

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back