FL - Abigail Espinoza, 5 mos, & Sofia Melendez, 5, died in fire, Broward County, 13 Oct 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
Mother of 2 young sisters killed in Pompano Beach fire arrested on manslaughter charges

The mother of two young sisters who died when a fire swept through their Pompano Beach home last weekend was arrested on manslaughter charges Friday, authorities said.

Jeny Yosselin Melendez-Ramirez, 22, is facing two counts of aggravated manslaughter of a child, Broward Sheriff's Office officials said. She was arrested during a traffic stop in the 1900 block of West McNab Road.

5-month-old Abigail Espinoza and 5-year-old Sofia Melendez were killed in Saturday's fire at the Banyan Club Apartments at 1830 Northeast 48th Street.

upload_2018-10-21_14-43-45.jpegupload_2018-10-21_14-47-8.jpeg

Melendez-Ramirez left her daughters and 2-year-old son in the care of her 16-year-old sister while she went to work, officials said. The teen left the girls alone after Melendez-Ramirez told her to take the 2-year-old with her to get some baby food at Walmart.

2 young girls die in Broward County apartment fire

Florida mom charged after daughters die in apartment fire

Mom Arrested in Pompano Beach Fire That Killed Young Sisters

Woman arrested after daughters killed in Pompano Beach apartment fire

This one is a tough call for me.

She's here illegally, so may not have support in raising the kids. Her sister had just recently came here, illegally, and was staying with her. The sister is 16, so young. Mom claims she works in the heat, maybe harvesting in the fields? She is working, and left the kids with her 16yr old sister. I don't know if either speak English, but the Mom didn't speak English in the interview. Mom told the sister to go get baby food, and take the boy with her. At 16, I would imagine it would be difficult to walk somewhere with 3 kids, but it could be done. At any rate, the sister does leave the 2 girls at home, and takes the little boy with her to the store. It doesn't say how far away the store is.

While there's no argument that 2 little ones dying is a tragedy, holding Mom accountable is difficult for me. There probably is more information that LE has that hasn't been released. I guess telling the sister to leave the 2 kids home alone is where the negligent charges come in.

Sad situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back