Found Deceased UK - Samantha Eastwood, 28, Stoke-on-Trent, 27 July 2018 *Arrest*

It is good news for the family.

I don't think he really had any other option. It sounded like the police had a really strong case.

Agree. I dont think it was pre meditated and he panicked afterewards and did not manage to hide his involvement.
The Pros had such a strong case from everything we have heard.
I wonder if the delay was his QC going for a manslaughter plea and the Prosecution refusing this.

Ben Chapman‏ @BenChapmanITV 1m1 minute ago

Michael Stirling’s defence barrister says Stirling and Samantha Eastwood has been having an affair; that the killing was not premeditated, but that on the afternoon of the murder, ‘things were said’ that made him very angry.

So that answers the question of why.

I hope that the defence team are not planning to use the lack of prior planning to commit murder as leverage to get a shorter minimum term.

He still didn't have to do it. He could have stopped himself at any point.

15:00
Murdering Samantha was not a 'premeditated act'
Defence barrister Charles Miskin QC tells the court: “It was not a premeditated act.”

15:01
'There was growing tension from a long-standing affair'
Mr Miskin QC added: “The context was a background of growing tension from a long-standing but not particularly intense affair.”

15:03
Murderer Stirling 'put his hands around her throat, mouth and nose - and she died'
Mr Miskin QC added: “On the afternoon of the killing various things were said. There was an argument. He became very angry. While she was on the floor he put his hands around her throat, her mouth and nose. As a result of which she died.”

Live: Michael Stirling pleads GUILTY to murdering Samantha Eastwood

15:04
Murderer Stirling killed Samantha, panicked and buried her
Mr Miskin QC added: “During his intense rage he originally intended to cause her really serious bodily harm. But matters escalated and he formed and carried out the intention to kill her. He panicked and buried her in an area of which he had some knowledge.”

15:07
Murderer is 'absolutely horrified' by what happened
Mr Miskin QC added: “He entirely accepts he misled others in the aftermath of the killing.
“He is absolutely horrified about what happened.
“He is deeply sorry, not for himself, but for all those others who are victims of this crime.”

Live: Michael Stirling pleads GUILTY to murdering Samantha Eastwood

It is good news for the family.

I don't think he really had any other option. It sounded like the police had a really strong case.

They often try for manslaughter though and with the cause of death not being confirmed I'm even more surprised. Maybe he has a conscience

15:10
Murderer has a history of mental health and depression
Prosecutor Mr Hankin QC said there were searches of the defendant’s laptop about how to kill yourself using methods including carbon monoxide poisoning and ingestion of poison - antifreeze.
He added the defendant has a history of mental health and depression, most recently in 2015.

I agree Sark. Only person he will be feeling sorry for is himself. As I said upthread, I bet his QC was trying to get a manslaughter plea accepted and when that didn't work, they will now go down the mental issue route and try to get him into prison hospital.
Clearly at some point he made the decision to escalate his attack from serious harm to killing Samantha.
If he really had not meant this to happen, he would have admitted his actions, not spent time taping up her face and hiding her body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back