Australia - Toyah Cordingley, 24, body found on beach, 22 October 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills88

Reaction score
A murder investigation is underway after the body of a 24-year-old woman was found at Wangetti Beach, north of Cairns, in far north Queensland.

The body, which was found this morning, has been identified as that of Toyah Cordingley, a Cairns pharmacy worker who went missing yesterday with her large dog.

An SES air and sea search began in the area early this morning after family raised the alarm and pleaded for any information about her whereabouts.

The woman's car was found at the beach.

Murder investigation launched after Cairns woman Toyah Cordingley's body found on beach - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Attachments

• 10404710-3x2-460x307.jpg
    10404710-3x2-460x307.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 92
It is horrible, what we hear, all the time.
This poor young lady, innocently walking her dog.:(:(
Previously I walked my dog along river beds, deserted beaches, lonely country tracks.
Now we walk around the block, and near shopping centres, where there are loads of people.
Walk your river beds, deserted beaches and lonely country tracks, tmar. Just carry a big stick with you (and know how to use it!)

Walk your river beds, deserted beaches and lonely country tracks, tmar. Just carry a big stick with you (and know how to use it!)

I carry a stick, and probably look ridiculous.
When I attended a self defense course with the Police, knowing on a particular day, I was to be attacked, staged, I froze.
Maybe, some of us become so frightened, we cannot think or defend ourselves.

I carry a stick, and probably look ridiculous.
When I attended a self defense course with the Police, knowing on a particular day, I was to be attacked, staged, I froze.
Maybe, some of us become so frightened, we cannot think or defend ourselves.

It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks about you, your stick and your dog. Bugger ‘em.

You can do it, tmar. We all can. If we’re trained and we have self discipline. It just takes practice and to be kind to ourselves while learning.

In the pic of Toyah, her dog was large.
You would think, if perhaps attacked, the dog would try to protect Toyah.
Maybe, walking past, the attacker, hit Toyah once, aiming at her head, and left.
The dog may not have witnessed this, as he/she may be running ahead, in the water etc.

Edit added.
In the article, the dog was unharmed.
But perhaps the attacker was not.

Last edited:
In the pic of Toyah, her dog was large.
You would think, if perhaps attacked, the dog would try to protect Toyah.
Maybe, walking past, the attacker, hit Toyah once, aiming at her head, and left.
The dog may not have witnessed this, as he/she may be running ahead, in the water etc.

I suppose we’ll find out. Whatever happened it is a brutal, senseless crime.

btw unless they’re trained, we can’t rely on our companion animals to be our protectors. Especially large dogs, except for their deterrent value. In fact, I’ve seen videos of small dogs challenging intruders and large ones consistently beating the retreat.

I suppose we’ll find out. Whatever happened it is a brutal, senseless crime.

btw unless they’re trained, we can’t rely on our companion animals to be our protectors. Especially large dogs, except for their deterrent value. In fact, I’ve seen videos of small dogs challenging intruders and large ones consistently beating the retreat.

Your right about small dogs.
My little one, is a small Jack Russell.
She would attack any dog, no matter what size and yes, I hope, anyone wanting to harm me.
She thinks she is so large and tough: quite a problem for me.
But with all the street kids, that come for our walks, she is the gentlest little thing, loved by all.:):):):)

Your right about small dogs.
My little one, is a small Jack Russell.
She would attack any dog, no matter what size and yes, I hope, anyone wanting to harm me.
She thinks she is so large and tough: quite a problem for me.
But with all the street kids, that come for our walks, she is the gentlest little thing, loved by all.:):):):)
See, there you go. Nothing to be anxious about. Bless your little friend x

Little more info Toyah was 800m north of the southern access point and was found between the foreshore and the start of bushland, seems it could be sexually motivated :(

e6ub7a.jpg

One of the commenters in the article said this
"A lot more to this story than we are told. Wangetti is an isolated and deserted beach in the middle of nowhere. You don't go there unless you have a good reason. Walking your dog is not one of good reasons as Ellis beach is much closer to Cairns and also quite empty. Backpackers go there and naturists but nobody goes there alone as there is really only one way in and out and if someone wants to get you then you're trapped as ocean is on one side and mangroves with crocs on the other. She went there to meet someone she knew and her dog knew that person too or he would have protected her"

Woman, 24, found dead on Queensland beach as police launch a murder investigation | Daily Mail Online

Woman 'murdered' walking her dog on Far North Queensland beach

Little more info Toyah was 800m north of the southern access point and was found between the foreshore and the start of bushland, seems it could be sexually motivated :(

e6ub7a.jpg

One of the commenters in the article said this
"A lot more to this story than we are told. Wangetti is an isolated and deserted beach in the middle of nowhere. You don't go there unless you have a good reason. Walking your dog is not one of good reasons as Ellis beach is much closer to Cairns and also quite empty. Backpackers go there and naturists but nobody goes there alone as there is really only one way in and out and if someone wants to get you then you're trapped as ocean is on one side and mangroves with crocs on the other. She went there to meet someone she knew and her dog knew that person too or he would have protected her"

Woman, 24, found dead on Queensland beach as police launch a murder investigation | Daily Mail Online

When I first saw the headline today my initial thought was she has been taken by a croc, but yes, it does sound a lot like someone was waiting for her. A man's body was also found washed up at a beach in Bowen, I think, today, too. I think he was found naked.

Reading the following article, I wonder if she knew her killer and had previously had some difficulties with this person.

Her Facebook page is filled with images of her with her friends and pets.
In June, she posted a screenshot of a tweet by human rights advocate Kon Karapanagiotidis.

It read: "I can only imagine the rage and fear women feel to see women die doing everyday mundane things like walking home, like they do to, only to then be told it's their fault and that they need to be more careful. Stop Blaming Women Make Men The Issue".

Sgt Kinbacher said police had "no preconceptions" about whether her killer was a stranger or known to her.

That beautiful young girl with her whole life in front of her. Makes me mad.

A post from her Facebook

"I can only imagine the rage and fear women feel to see women die doing everyday mundane things like walking home, like they do to, only to then be told it's their fault and that they need to be more careful. Stop Blaming Women Make Men The Issue".

Horrible tragedy, hopefully there is a swift resolution asap.

I hope QLD police are asking people to submit dashcam footage from Sunday (i.e. whoever was driving down the highway past the beach). Along the highway to the north of Wangetti Beach Rd are a couple of roadside parking bays. Perhaps there can be IDs on the vehicles and rego plates as it is likely though not certain that the offender/s drove to the beach.

How tragic for her loved ones.

Her FB lists a boyfriend who lives in Port Douglas and says she lives in Cairns -Wangetti Beach is about midway between the two (to the extent you can trust FB listing of addresses, ie you can't). She also used to work in Port Douglas. That is, she doesn't have to have been meeting someone at the beach as the above comment suggests, she could just be familiar with that particular beach from going there in the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member