PA PA - Marjorie West, 4, McKean County, 8 May 1938

That is the definition of WILDERNESS. As someone who has done quite a bit of camping and exploring the wilderness, I can assure you someone can disappear within minutes, never to be seen again.
This area was not so much of a wilderness at the time. Almost all of it had been logged by the end of the 19th century. However, the possibility exists that she fell into a natural vertical shaft (some in the area) or an abandoned well or mine.

This area was not so much of a wilderness at the time. Almost all of it had been logged by the end of the 19th century. However, the possibility exists that she fell into a natural vertical shaft (some in the area) or an abandoned well or mine.
I read that they went to the area that wasn't logged since they were beside a forest. The searchers thought the little girl wandered into the forest and got lost. Remember they were in the Allegheny National Forest. They were 40 minutes from Bradford and they were in the White Gravel Creek area. That's national forest land.

I read that they went to the area that wasn't logged since they were beside a forest. The searchers thought the little girl wandered into the forest and got lost. Remember they were in the Allegheny National Forest. They were 40 minutes from Bradford and they were in the White Gravel Creek area. That's national forest land.

She did indeed go missing in the ANF, but it was a new growth forest.

“Between 1890 and 1930, wood chemical plants produced charcoal, methanol, acetic acid, acetate of lime and similar products, and provided a market for virtually every size, species and quality of tree growing on the Allegheny Plateau. Harvests during this era were the most complete ever made in the area, clearing nearly every accessible tree of every size. The once vast forest of the Allegheny Plateau was almost completely removed, leaving barren hillsides as far as the eye could see…

An old-growth forest of hemlock and beech once stretched along northern Pennsylvania, but heavy logging between 1890 and 1930 left only pockets of that early forest in places like Hearts Content. Since the Forest Service began to manage the Allegheny National Forest in 1923, a different forest of hardwood trees like black cherry (that are more valuable as a timber product) was established through the use of herbicides and selective fertilizing. “
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_National_Forest

It was not a dense wilderness like it is today. I find it difficult to believe that thousands of searchers and dogs could not find her. How far could a 4 year old make it into the woods?

I am not saying this poor child didn't get lost in the wilderness and die, but that is not the only possible scenario.

By 1940 it was considered "old growth" once again. This happened in 1938. This was forested and wilderness. Just read the Allaghany NF website. They know the history of their own forest. If a adult woman can die and not be found in a small Washington DC park, a 4 year old doesn't have a chance in a wilderness area.

By 1940 it was considered "old growth" once again. This happened in 1938. This was forested and wilderness. Just read the Allaghany NF website. They know the history of their own forest. If a adult woman can die and not be found in a small Washington DC park, a 4 year old doesn't have a chance in a wilderness area.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Just don't let your small children run around in densely wooded areas without strict supervision. It isn't the Hundred Acre Wood out there.

Map of missing children of McKean County, PA (3 in close proximity...2 on the same day!)
map-of-mckean-missing_1_orig.png

I do not know the specifics of how and when the dogs were used in this case, other than what is stated in the case summary (see first post). I can say, however, that tracking dogs can be amazingly accurate and useful in a search - but that their usefulness and accuracy depend on various conditions.

I have trained tracking dogs in the past, and it is only the very young and inexperienced dogs who cross back and forth over a sent path. It is called "casting". An experienced tracking dog will almost immediately pick up an assigned scent and stay with it to the exclusion of all other scents.

Scent is left on the ground where a person walks, but it is left in a much larger "swath" to the side of the track where the wind has blown it. A large amount of this scent comes from the top of the persons head and exposed skin areas - not just from the soles of the feet.

Weather and climate conditions play a big part in how strong a scent track is. If it is cool and damp, the scent is very easy for the dogs to read. If it is very hot and dry, then it is harder for the dog, as the scent will evaporate and the heat and dryness make dry out the dog as well. Rain can wash away some of the scent, and time also dissapates it.

Experience of both dog and handler plays a major part as well. They work together as a team, with the dog reading the track, and the handler reading the dog, and interpreting his signals.

The police conclusion that Marjorie may have been picked up by a vehicle was based on the fact that a very readable track suddenly disappeared at the side of the road, and the flowers that she had been carrying were also there. The dog would have indicated to the handler that the flowers had been dropped by her. Tracking dogs are trained to stay with the track and not "cut corners" when the track doubles back this is so that nothing is missed such as a dropped object, weapon, etc. They are trained to either pick up a dropped object, or indicate to the handler in some way that it is there. Some point to it, others indicate vocally, others may simply wag the tail briefly.

The handler would not have simply stopped his dog at the finding of the flowers, he would have been encouraged by them and then disappointed when the dog began casting left and right trying to regain the trail.

A dog will always begin to "cast" when he loses the scent, going left and right, or move in expanding circles. The handler is usually about 30 to 40 feet behind the dog, and must hold the lead above his head and take up slack quickly so the the dog does not get tangled up in it during this time.

Dogs are trained over varying types of terrain, with various types of masking scents, and with various types of distractions. They are tested on a regular basis by other trainers and handlers. The American Kennel Club offers "Titles" to dogs who pass their very demanding tests.

Numerous attempts to regain the track would have been made before giving up on it.
So very interesting! Thank you! Very off subject but having 2 Bassets I always wondered how this worked.

So very interesting! Thank you! Very off subject but having 2 Bassets I always wondered how this worked.

A good book (among many) that I recall on the subject was titled "Go Find". It tells the basics of what to do in training and working with a tracking dog. A Basset Hound would probably make an excellent tracking dog, as they have very good noses for it.

I worked mostly with Chesapeake Bay Retrievers for tracking, but that was because it was the breed I had. Any hunting dog with a good nose could be used. I have also worked with an American Foxhound (also known as a Walker Hound) and with a Beagle.

Probably the best dog for tracking would be a Bloodhound. But as I have stated before, any dog could be trained and used to track.

I do not know the specifics of how and when the dogs were used in this case, other than what is stated in the case summary (see first post). I can say, however, that tracking dogs can be amazingly accurate and useful in a search - but that their usefulness and accuracy depend on various conditions.

I have trained tracking dogs in the past, and it is only the very young and inexperienced dogs who cross back and forth over a sent path. It is called "casting". An experienced tracking dog will almost immediately pick up an assigned scent and stay with it to the exclusion of all other scents.

Scent is left on the ground where a person walks, but it is left in a much larger "swath" to the side of the track where the wind has blown it. A large amount of this scent comes from the top of the persons head and exposed skin areas - not just from the soles of the feet.

Weather and climate conditions play a big part in how strong a scent track is. If it is cool and damp, the scent is very easy for the dogs to read. If it is very hot and dry, then it is harder for the dog, as the scent will evaporate and the heat and dryness make dry out the dog as well. Rain can wash away some of the scent, and time also dissapates it.

Experience of both dog and handler plays a major part as well. They work together as a team, with the dog reading the track, and the handler reading the dog, and interpreting his signals.

The police conclusion that Marjorie may have been picked up by a vehicle was based on the fact that a very readable track suddenly disappeared at the side of the road, and the flowers that she had been carrying were also there. The dog would have indicated to the handler that the flowers had been dropped by her. Tracking dogs are trained to stay with the track and not "cut corners" when the track doubles back this is so that nothing is missed such as a dropped object, weapon, etc. They are trained to either pick up a dropped object, or indicate to the handler in some way that it is there. Some point to it, others indicate vocally, others may simply wag the tail briefly.

The handler would not have simply stopped his dog at the finding of the flowers, he would have been encouraged by them and then disappointed when the dog began casting left and right trying to regain the trail.

A dog will always begin to "cast" when he loses the scent, going left and right, or move in expanding circles. The handler is usually about 30 to 40 feet behind the dog, and must hold the lead above his head and take up slack quickly so the the dog does not get tangled up in it during this time.

Dogs are trained over varying types of terrain, with various types of masking scents, and with various types of distractions. They are tested on a regular basis by other trainers and handlers. The American Kennel Club offers "Titles" to dogs who pass their very demanding tests.

Numerous attempts to regain the track would have been made before giving up on it.

This is excellent. As a Bloodhound owner, thank you for explaining this so eloquently.

Tracking is done with a dog in a tracking harness - one which allows the dog to keep his head down without choking or hindering him. These can be obtained from dog training specialty catalogs or suppliers. When the trained dog is placed in his harness, he immediately knows what he will be doing, but I would always walk him to the area using his neck collar and short lead. Once on site, I would attach a 40 foot lead to the tracking harness and remove the neck collar. Give him the scent and tell him "Go find".

I would not step off until he had gone 30 feet (measured by a knot on the lead), and then you have to set the pace a bit so that he does not over run the track. A big strong dog like a blood hound or a Chesapeake can really pull you along!

Tracking is really great fun and exercise - and it can be very useful. I was once involved with a search for a lost 3 year old child who had wandered off and was missing - believed to be in a thickly wooded area overnight. A number of dogs and handlers responded to the call for assistance.

My dog and I were assigned to a grid sector along with a group of other human searchers (not the optimum use of a tracking dog), and while we were out searching, we were called back because the child had been found alive and well by another tracking dog (a Rottweiler) in the adjacent grid sector.

Tracking is done with a dog in a tracking harness - one which allows the dog to keep his head down without choking or hindering him. These can be obtained from dog training specialty catalogs or suppliers. When the trained dog is placed in his harness, he immediately knows what he will be doing, but I would always walk him to the area using his neck collar and short lead. Once on site, I would attach a 40 foot lead to the tracking harness and remove the neck collar. Give him the scent and tell him "Go find".

I would not step off until he had gone 30 feet (measured by a knot on the lead), and then you have to set the pace a bit so that he does not over run the track. A big strong dog like a blood hound or a Chesapeake can really pull you along!

Tracking is really great fun and exercise - and it can be very useful. I was once involved with a search for a lost 3 year old child who had wandered off and was missing - believed to be in a thickly wooded area overnight. A number of dogs and handlers responded to the call for assistance.

My dog and I were assigned to a grid sector along with a group of other human searchers (not the optimum use of a tracking dog), and while we were out searching, we were called back because the child had been found alive and well by another tracking dog (a Rottweiler) in the adjacent grid sector.
Amazing! As you can see, I have a good team/pack. This is fantastic information. I can see with two Bassets, one being blind how very easily how their scent tracking abilities are so very underestimated!
Which is also why I have to think in this case that little girl was taken.

I know that there were a lot of predatory/scavenging animals in that area at the time which could render a body much more difficult to locate as well. Fox, bear, wolves, wildcats, mountain lions (then).

I was researching some of the high industry at the time in the area and it’s happened to be glass making. Interesting as being from Pennsylvania I automatically thought quarry and mining. I was trying to search for reports of any crimes linked to out of town workers who would possibly have a connection.

Someone tell me I'm off about this somehow.....is this within 2 miles of the wildlife park referenced below?

The family drove to the nearest phone seven miles away to contact police in the town of Kane." 8 May 1938

Google Maps

"This photograph depicts a dead mountain lion from Dr. McCleery's lobo wolf park, located along Route 6 five miles east of Kane, PA. The mountain lion escaped from the park in February 1946 and killed Claude Mollander Jr.'s dog. The mountain lion was subsequently shot by Sergeant Charles E. Stacy.

The back of the photo reads:

CL15169
CLEVELAND BUREAU
"Dog Dies to Save Boy from Mountain Lion (2)

Kane, PA. – "Casey", a six-year-old mongrel dog, is dead today, heroically sacrificing his own life to save his young master, Claude Mollander, Jr., of Kane, Pa. The boy and his dog were playing in their yard when a mountain lion, escaped from a local zoo, approached. "Casey" attacked immediately but was killed. The boy ran home during the brief struggle and a state police-man was summoned, who found the lion prowling nearby and shot it to death. The body of the 145-pound lion is shown above.

CREDIT ACML PHOTO
L27 NY CHI SPLS, 2/18/46"
Dog Dies to Save Boy from Mountain Lion [Photograph] · Dr. McCleery Lobo Wolves Digital Archive

REF:
"A ten year lifespan is considered old age for a mountain lion in the wild. Lions in captivity have been known to live twice that long." Frequently Asked Questions About Mountain Lions
Welcome to the Dr. McCleery Lobo Wolves Digital Archive! · Dr. McCleery Lobo Wolves Digital Archive
"In 1929 Dr. McCleery moved his lobo wolves to a larger and more accessible location along Route 6 between Kane and Mt. Jewett where the pack - which fluctuated between 20 and 100 wolves at any given time - brought thousands of visitors to the area for several decades." Did anyone know he had cougars as well...

Last edited:
Someone tell me I'm off about this somehow.....is this within 2 miles of the wildlife park referenced below?

The family drove to the nearest phone seven miles away to contact police in the town of Kane." 8 May 1938

That "zoo" was in the Kane area. Marjorie West went missing closer to Marshburg in the White Gravel area, which is approx. 18 miles to Kane by road and around 13 miles by the way the crow flies.

rbbm.
The Great Unsolved Mystery of Missing Marjorie West - Narratively - Pocket
"Locals who’ve read the book have debated its conclusions on Facebook. Marjorie’s cousin’s daughter Catherine discounted the story on a 2012 discussion thread on Websleuths.com, a site on which people try to solve missing persons cases. Catherine wrote that the state trooper she talked to didn’t take Beck’s narrative seriously.

Beck says he understands why people are frustrated, particularly those involved in the search. But he won’t betray a confidence.

Bob Lowery, a vice president at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, hadn’t heard of Beck’s book, but says Beck or anyone else with information about Marjorie should come forward. He notes the case is the third-oldest in their files. “I would think that anyone alive today who was living at that time would have vivid memories of this,” he says. “When something happens to a child of four, there’s a need to have the truth shared so that everyone knows.”
5d3087fe580e9.jpg

Reward poster for any information on the disappearance of West. Photo courtesy of McKean County Cold Cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back