CO CO - Roger Ellison, 17, Cedaredge, 10 Feb 1981 #2

That has happened before. Anita Drake went missing at age 15, her family thought she was murdered, except for one sister. She knew the truth and never let on and was never going to let on until her niece contacted authorities, then she came clean for her sake. 39 years she was missing then died of cancer, something totally unrelated to her disappearance. If her daughter hadn't found paperwork after she died and realized her mother wasn't who she said she was, Anita's family would have gone on believing what they did because the sister had vowed to take the secret to her grave. Even some of her sister's friends knew she was alive and never said a word.
Anita's case makes me wonder how many people did take off to start a new life, lived for a long time after, and died of natural causes, no one the wiser.

Interesting info.
Well, I guess it happens. I don't think it happens alot. Not with youngsters anyways. It would be terrible and it is terrible to keep a secret like that. Think af the mecanism you'd have to witness. Grieving family, maybe theres is innocent 'suspects' that will suffer through their life, not to mention the public ressources that are wasted on searching and investigating.

Roger John Ellison - Colorado Missing Person Directory
Collin Co. Law Enforcement Nabs Child Exploitation Suspects
(bottom row, 2nd photo from left)
I stumbled upon a mugshot, which resembles an age progressed photo of RJE, I think.
Can't find more to the name of the arrested TX man except the pic.
Please ignore, if you think, it's too far-fetched. :)
There is a Joel (Roberts) ATMORE listed in Grand Prairie, Texas. His birth date is given as December 12th 1966 and he has previous addresses in Mansfield, Texas and in Piru and Ventura, California. It appears that he does have previous arrest records.

I can't find any information on a Joel ARTMORE, even from tried and tested search engines.

There is a Joel (Roberts) ATMORE listed in Grand Prairie, Texas. His birth date is given as December 12th 1966 and he has previous addresses in Mansfield, Texas and in Piru and Ventura, California. It appears that he does have previous arrest records.

I can't find any information on a Joel ARTMORE, even from tried and tested search engines.

Artmore must be a typo. I found the last name spelled Atmore, as you found, on a different news article.

12 face charges of child *advertiser censored*, solicitation after North Texas sting operation | Crime | Dallas News

Good catch!

Joel was born 12/12/66
Roger was born 3/11/63

This part of Pash's story always bugged me, too. He used Roger's answers to the assignment as an example in later classes! He said he thought it was okay because he thought Roger had been found leading a new life elsewhere (perhaps pumping gas in Kansas).

There is another detail to this case that has been sticking in my mind all these years. One of Roger's lockermates (the one who wasn't on Websleuths, so there had to be at least three people using that locker) said the last thing Roger said was to hold the locker open, that he would be right back. If this is true, Roger thought he was just going to pop out and do something really quick. This implies to me that he made the decision to do whatever he did on the spur of the moment at his locker. I think he went to confront someone in the parking lot, like the local drug dealer or something. "I know what you are doing, and you better stop it." "Okay Roger. Why don't you get in the car and we can discuss it." It probably never occurred to him that he might be in real danger from this person. This idea absolves Pash; he was preparing for class at that time.

The lockermate who made that one post on Websleuths said something like he hopes Roger found what he was looking for. That statement has always stuck with me. Talk about fraught with meaning! I wish I knew what it meant.

I private messaged both JPash and the lockermate on Websleuths; I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they never replied.
Of course, you are assuming (as do I) that everyone who posts on here is who they say they are... I guess that is not always the case from what others have said.

The Cedaredge High School Alumni group have a Facebook page which I have found quite interesting. Personally, I don't do Facebook. I find at least 90% of the content is completely derivative, but I do admit to keeping a dormant account open and occasionally using it for "research" purposes.

Mike Kop (Class of 1980) posted this photograph in September 2016, featuring the Cedaredge High School Cubs of 1979. With all of the emphasis on Roger Ellison`s skiing activities and wether or not he was a member of the school wrestling team, it hasn't been confirmed if Roger actually played football and I can't say for sure if he appears in this photo.

It's an old Polaroid and a little blurry and frustratingly, individuals have not been tagged. But if Roger Ellison is there, my best guess would be #77 in the front row. Other possibilities are #68 in the second row (though he looks a little younger than sixteen) or the guy third from left in the back row, with the indistinguishable number (whereas he looks older than sixteen)

At least one of Roger Ellison`s former classmates is a member of the CHS Alumni group and has liked several of their Facebook posts. Daniel Ashurst (birth date: 1/27/63) now lives in Grand Junction and has trained as a Pastor. Perhaps he might be approachable?

Apologies if this Thumbnail link does not work but you can find the CHS Alumni Facebook page quite easily, otherwise.FB_IMG_1537462523982.jpg

The Cedaredge High School Alumni group have a Facebook page which I have found quite interesting. Personally, I don't do Facebook. I find at least 90% of the content is completely derivative, but I do admit to keeping a dormant account open and occasionally using it for "research" purposes.

Mike Kop (Class of 1980) posted this photograph in September 2016, featuring the Cedaredge High School Cubs of 1979. With all of the emphasis on Roger Ellison`s skiing activities and wether or not he was a member of the school wrestling team, it hasn't been confirmed if Roger actually played football and I can't say for sure if he appears in this photo.

It's an old Polaroid and a little blurry and frustratingly, individuals have not been tagged. But if Roger Ellison is there, my best guess would be #77 in the front row. Other possibilities are #68 in the second row (though he looks a little younger than sixteen) or the guy third from left in the back row, with the indistinguishable number (whereas he looks older than sixteen)

At least one of Roger Ellison`s former classmates is a member of the CHS Alumni group and has liked several of their Facebook posts. Daniel Ashurst (birth date: 1/27/63) now lives in Grand Junction and has trained as a Pastor. Perhaps he might be approachable?

Apologies if this Thumbnail link does not work but you can find the CHS Alumni Facebook page quite easily, otherwise.View attachment 148522
Great find, CalienR. Yes, the FB page was very easy to find. I will definitely look through it when I have a moment.

Just quickly: Did you see any discussion related to Roger’s disappearance?

Great find, CalienR. Yes, the FB page was very easy to find. I will definitely look through it when I have a moment.

Just quickly: Did you see any discussion related to Roger’s disappearance?

Unfortunately not, and the group has been up and running for several years now.

The Alumni page is partly administered by a guy called Jerry McHugh. After graduation, he lived in California for many years but he has recently moved back to the Cedaredge area. I have messaged him, asking if he will post an appeal for information and the contact details for Delta County Sheriffs. Who knows, it might jog someone's memory (or conscience)

I have also asked him to post a link to this forum. We desperately need contact with classmates, friends and other former associates of Roger who, unlike so many others, might actually stay the course. I appreciate that Rebecca Livingston was very ill before her death last year, and John Pash has probably said all that he feels he needs to say on this matter, but I am really disappointed by the various former classmates and others who have appeared on this forum, raising the prospects of some new insight into Roger`s case, but ultimately delivering very little indeed.

Perhaps I am being too harsh, but I would draw a line beneath most of these contributors (with one or two exceptions) and hope that some fresh voices from Cedaredge might bring the answers that we need.

We desperately need contact with classmates, friends and other former associates of Roger who, unlike so many others, might actually stay the course. I appreciate that Rebecca Livingston was very ill before her death last year, and John Pash has probably said all that he feels he needs to say on this matter, but I am really disappointed by the various former classmates and others who have appeared on this forum, raising the prospects of some new insight into Roger`s case, but ultimately delivering very little indeed.

Perhaps I am being too harsh, but I would draw a line beneath most of these contributors (with one or two exceptions) and hope that some fresh voices from Cedaredge might bring the answers that we need.

Precisely! Where are his friends, teammates, classmates? No one is saying a kind word or a word at all, except for the guy who claimed to be Roger's other lockermate, sister Becky, and Mr. Pash.

By contributing memories of Roger, whether it is Roger the popular, Roger the perfectionist, Roger the quiet, Roger the loner, some combination, or some other Roger, anything they recall about him would memorialize him and make him more real.

I hope the next generation will take up the cause. We've seen tougher cases than this reach resolution.

Unfortunately not, and the group has been up and running for several years now.

The Alumni page is partly administered by a guy called Jerry McHugh. After graduation, he lived in California for many years but he has recently moved back to the Cedaredge area. I have messaged him, asking if he will post an appeal for information and the contact details for Delta County Sheriffs. Who knows, it might jog someone's memory (or conscience)

I have also asked him to post a link to this forum. We desperately need contact with classmates, friends and other former associates of Roger who, unlike so many others, might actually stay the course. I appreciate that Rebecca Livingston was very ill before her death last year, and John Pash has probably said all that he feels he needs to say on this matter, but I am really disappointed by the various former classmates and others who have appeared on this forum, raising the prospects of some new insight into Roger`s case, but ultimately delivering very little indeed.

Someone did post a link to an article about Roger, but no one responded to it. My guess is no one wants to talk about it. I'm guessing no one responded to the request to come here and offer any insights about Roger.

Someone did post a link to an article about Roger, but no one responded to it. My guess is no one wants to talk about it. I'm guessing no one responded to the request to come here and offer any insights about Roger.
-------------------------------
Could it be they feel or have been intimidated by someone?

As I recall Roger's locker partner stated they were both somewhat loners and not really part of the mainstream at school. Roger seems to have spent most of his time & money on his goal of making the US Ski Team as his sister had. He worked a variety of jobs to earn money for ski club and college. When he disappeared he left behind a motorcycle, a car, his ski gear and $1000 in savings. Quite a bit for a 17-year-old, especially when you consider what a $1000 was back in 1981. Probably didn't leave much time for socializing. BTW... I saw the post on the Alumni Facebook page... 13 people did respond to the post (you have to click on it to see the responses.) It was a remembrance post from a few years ago, not a new post.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think Roger committed suicide. I think someone who knew him murdered him. And that someone was just damn lucky that a small town like that lacked the sophistication required to effectively investigate such a shocking crime.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think Roger committed suicide. I think someone who knew him murdered him. And that someone was just damn lucky that a small town like that lacked the sophistication required to effectively investigate such a shocking crime.
Sometime back a person who claimed to live in Cedaredge posted looking for more information on the case. She indicated that it is still a case that locals apparently get most uncomfortable discussing... or at least those who have lived there for the past 35+ years. Is it a Payton Place with some dark secret or do the good people of the town know more they care to discuss? I have always found it interesting that the local LE were officially of the opinion that Roger was "murdered probably by someone he knew and probably very soon after he disappeared." On what do they base that? Often as not LE will treat such a case as a runaway or "endangered missing" I believe they know more than has been released.

Sometime back a person who claimed to live in Cedaredge posted looking for more information on the case. She indicated that it is still a case that locals apparently get most uncomfortable discussing... or at least those who have lived there for the past 35+ years. Is it a Payton Place with some dark secret or do the good people of the town know more they care to discuss? I have always found it interesting that the local LE were officially of the opinion that Roger was "murdered probably by someone he knew and probably very soon after he disappeared." On what do they base that? Often as not LE will treat such a case as a runaway or "endangered missing" I believe they know more than has been released.
My theory - just a guess, really - is that Roger had compromising information about a local businessman, and his disappearance was a convenience for one or more of the townspeople.

Wouldn't be ironic if Roger had info on a pot growing enterprise (it was reported he smoked a joint once in a while)... and was murdered for that... back then a potential felony now a mainstream business. Ironic and sad. I guess its true... "Treason is only a matter of dates."

Wouldn't be ironic if Roger had info on a pot growing enterprise (it was reported he smoked a joint once in a while)... and was murdered for that... back then a potential felony now a mainstream business. Ironic and sad. I guess its true... "Treason is only a matter of dates."
And one wonders what dates Roger had.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back